FJR1300 recall..

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2024 BMW R1300 GS

FJR1300 recall..

Post by CollingsBob »

I received my recall notice today.. I stopped in at Wildwood BMW/Ducati/Yamaha here in Winnipeg to see about getting the recall work done. The service manager asked me if I had purchased the bike from their dealership..I told him that I had tried to, but that their salesman had told me outright that they wouldnt be bringing any more FJR1300’s in. Then the service manager told me that he had to service the bikes purchased from his dealership first, and that he might be able to take care of my bike in September or October.

I guess I’ll call Winnipeg Sport & Leisure..the other Yamaha dealer in Winnipeg
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Re: FJR1300 recall..

Post by FJRoss »

So I wonder if Yamaha assumes any liability if the transmission scrambles the engine after the recall notice is issued but before your dealer can find the time? Usually recall notices tell you to stop using the vehicle immediately until it can be repaired. (Liability issue, I guess)

Hope they don't expect you to park it for a season and hopefully whoever does it will make a definite appointment to get it done rather than getting you to drop it off and "we'll call you when we get to it"! I would have thought that Yamaha would be obligated to fix safety-related defects in pretty short order.
HotRodZilla and wheatonFJR loved this
FjrjrF
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2014 - red eyed viper !

Post by FjrjrF »

CollingsBob wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:46 pm I received my recall notice today.. I stopped in at Wildwood BMW/Ducati/Yamaha here in Winnipeg to see about getting the recall work done. The service manager asked me if I had purchased the bike from their dealership..I told him that I had tried to, but that their salesman had told me outright that they wouldnt be bringing any more FJR1300’s in. Then the service manager told me that he had to service the bikes purchased from his dealership first, and that he might be able to take care of my bike in September or October.

I guess I’ll call Winnipeg Sport & Leisure..the other Yamaha dealer in Winnipeg
I think that might be illegal to say only bikes purchased here get first priority. Yamaha is paying for the repair and supplying the parts. The dealer is charging back to Yamaha. It makes no sense as to where you purchased it if it is a safety recall. I think a call to Yamaha regional office with a follow up email to the person you spoke to for records purpose is appropriate.
bungie4, Hppants, bigjohnsd and 2 others loved this
Jim
2014 Gen 3
Canadian FJR
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018 FJR-1300ES, 2010 Ural Gear Up, 2003
Yamaha FJR-1300, 2001 Kawasaki KLR-650 (Gone to a new home), 1997 Suzuki TL-1000s (Gone but not forgotten), 1976 Honda 400 Four, 1968 Honda C-50 Step-thru

Post by Canadian FJR »

If they are not interested don’t use them. Sounds like they already have a $h!tty on.

I’d still lodge a complaint against them.

F@ck tards.

Canadian FJR
Hppants, bigjohnsd, HotRodZilla and 3 others loved this
Hack
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by Hack »

'Seems odd any dealer/shop would turn work away... Who cares where the bike was originally purchased?
Fortunately the dealer I contacted has no issue with the fact my bike was bought elsewhere...
'Which is good for me since the dealer I bought my FJR from has since shifted their focus and no longer actually sells bikes or does service work.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

I'd first ask to speak to the general manager, and verify that what I just heard was in fact the dealership's position on the matter. Assuming as such, I would tell the dealer that he would NOT be working on my bike at ANY time. I'd also inform them that they could NOT expect my business again, ever, and that I would be making sure anyone that would listen would hear about this experience.

Then, I'd call Yamaha and lodge a formal complaint. Then I would send them an email (the dealer and Yamaha) summarizing the current situation, to identify it as a formal record of my communication, should my motor/transmission grenade before anyone got to the recall.

Then I'd start looking for another dealer to perform the recall.
HotRodZilla, Cav47, FjrjrF and 1 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran

Post by CollingsBob »

Well...there’s only 2 dealers here. Today I’ll call the other dealer. Then I won’t complain to Yamaha because the effort expended won’t get me anything and some of the staff have been at that dealership for over 20 years and are professional assholes, but their 10w40 full synthetic oil is cheaper than Walmart.
Their stupidity will cost them the revenue of the warranty claim plus the revenue from the additional servicing that I planned to have them do at the same time.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

I don't understand the business model of a professional asshole in a Service industry...unless maybe yer at Ed Debevic's.
flys low, HotRodZilla, and Cav47 loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran

Post by CollingsBob »

Winnipeg Sport & Leisure were real pleasant on the phone this morning..said they didn't care where I bought the bike, said they would order the parts in January.
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

Canadian FJR wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:26 pm If they are not interested don’t use them. Sounds like they already have a $h!tty on.

I’d still lodge a complaint against them.

F@ck tards.

Canadian FJR
I have the same line of thinking here. I wouldn't want them to do it now, since they let you know they didn't want to.

Second, I would certainly let Yamaha know that the dealer was not supporting doing recalls.
wheatonFJR and N4HHE loved this
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

wheatonFJR wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:29 am I don't understand the business model of a professional asshole in a Service industry...unless maybe yer at Ed Debevic's.
I am not justifying being an ass in any job you do. However I worked in an auto dealership for many years. I would have to say being a service manager has to be one of the worst jobs ever.

1. The owner is expecting you to make the shop a profit center. Even if you have to do a lot of warranty work that doesn't pay that well. Which also causes you to up sale a lot of services to people that don't need them. Not good if you are an honest person.

2. Most customers have an almost brand new or brand new vehicle that just broke. They are not happy. The ones that are not generally nice people are even less nice.

3. The average person does not understand that it takes time to disassemble a vehicle, get parts in and repair vehicle. They think they should be able to run up to the waiting room, grab a cup of coffee and be right back to retrieve their car.

4. Every mechanic thinks you are being mean to them. Not giving them the good jobs, giving them too much warranty work( which pays less).

5 Parts guy hates you because you lied to the customer and said the part was not in, so their car is not ready.

You don't make many friends being a service manager.
Last edited by danh600 on Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HotRodZilla, Cav47, FjrjrF and 3 others loved this
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

I will not beg someone to take my money. Even if Yamaha is footing the bill.

OTOH I understand dealers often loathe warranty work because the manufacturer is slow to pay, or pays much less than the jobs that were postponed to do the warranty work. 18 hours is your mechanic out of pocket for half of a week. If you only have one then he will be forced to multitask for the small rush jobs that will appear. Customer needs a tire mounted? You charge a pretty penny, are you going to say, "Come back next week"?
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Perhaps other things are at play where perhaps other than Yamaha stuff generates revenue..... check out new and used inventory...... I agree, just move on, take your business and wallet elsewhere.
https://www.wildwoodsports.com/default. ... lInventory
CollingsBob loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

When I brought my 2014 in for Yamaha- authorized warranty repair, the service manager asked “did you buy the bike here?” I said yes. He said “did you buy the bike new here?”. I said yes, and what difference does it make? Why are you even asking that? He backpedaled, and they would end up being okay folks to work with. Okay, because they messed some minor stuff up and lied about it at the very end of the ordeal. But they were fairly transparent and helpful throughout most of the process.
HotRodZilla and Cav47 loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

I worked in the service dept of a car dealership for 3 summers. On the 4th summer of my college days, I worked at another dealership as a "quality control supervisor". The shop was having trouble. To many cars were coming back for issues not fixed. My job was two fold:

1. I had to drive and check every car that came in for service. Didn't matter if it was an oil change - I had to drive the car and make damm sure that everything was fixed, everything was clean and tidy, and the car was indeed ready to be returned to the customer.

2. If any car was returned for a re-check, the customer had to meet with me. Tell me the whole story. What was it here for in the first place? Was it seemingly fixed when you picked it up, and then "broke" again? Everything.

I grew more that summer then any other. Let me tell you something: When a mama of 4 kids has to bring the surburban in for the 4th time 'cause the idiot service writer can't listen, and the idiot mechanic won't engage himself, you better find some humility and you better find it fast.
HotRodZilla, N4HHE, justacrossthehill and 2 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran

Post by CollingsBob »

The core of a successful business relationship is trust. Screw with it, break it at your peril.
Hack
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by Hack »

CollingsBob wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:24 pm The core of a successful business relationship is trust. Screw with it, break it at your peril.
Pink Floyd

Album: Animals (1975)
Track: Dogs

And after a while you can work on points for style
Like the club tie and a firm handshake
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile
You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to
So that when they turn their backs on you
You'll get the chance to put the knife in

sunnyorlando, bungie4, bill lumberg and 2 others loved this