Taking the FJR off-road

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
Bugs
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2018A

Taking the FJR off-road

Post by Bugs »

Here’s a question for FJR riders who occasionally take their bike off-road. I have 7K miles on my ’18 FJR1300A with stock suspension and tires. This is the heaviest bike I've ever owned. I recently rode it to my gun range which sits about 2 miles down a dirt road off the highway. This is the first time I’ve had it on a dirt road.

The road was dry, but a bit rough with small mud-formed ruts and slight washboard. I rode between 15 and 25 MPH and was surprised at how unsteady I felt on the bike. Even slight adjustments to maintain balance seemed to cause the front tire to washout to the outside. I was very concerned while making an actual turn, feeling like I was about to low-side the bike.

I’ve ridden mostly dirt bikes since 1972. Although my first bike was a street bike (Yamaha YL-1 100cc “Twin-Jet”) it saw more dirt trails than street riding. I’ve also owned a ’79 Yamaha SR500 (A street-version of the XT500 "Thumper" enduro) which was well behaved in the dirt and a ’02 YZF-R6, which was solely a road-queen. I’ve had many dirt bikes over the years.

My current dirt bikes are a ’97 KTM 620 LC4 dual-sport which is taller than the FJR, but only weighs 250 lbs. I also have an trick ’05 WR450. Both are great off-road as one might expect. My dirt riding is toned-down recently. I’ve become an OHV-Park/trail kind of guy. Getting too old to take big risks.

For you who ride a stock FJR off-road, do you also feel the wallowing? If so, is it something you put up with and can simply get used to over time or is the performance really as dicey as it feels? Any idea why the FJR feels so precarious compared to smaller, lighter road-bikes?

For those who modify their FJR for off-road, would dirt or adventure tires mostly mitigate this?
Or is the issue compounded by other aspects like the FJR weight/height or suspension?
Bounce loved this
The fact that there's a Highway to Hell and only a Stairway to Heaven should tell you something about anticipated traffic.
Straight roads are for fast bikes. Turns are for fast riders.
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Re: Taking the FJR off-road

Post by extrememarine »

I've been on some dirt and goat trails on the FJR - all un-intentionally (mostly). I ride a DRZ off road as well.

With a really loose surface - like deep fine gravel or sand, I've had the front end wash out or feel like it was going to wash; applying throttle and shifting weight back helped. In areas that have been rutted up some, the bike will move around and follow the ruts vs how the DRZ (with 21" front wheel/tire) will roll over the ruts.

for 2 miles of gravel, I'd think that TKC80's would not be needed, but it's been done in the past.
Bugs and Bounce loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
HotRodZilla
Veteran
FJRModel: 07 FJR-A

Post by HotRodZilla »

The FJR's rake is it's worst enemy on dirt. I've had my FJR down numerous dirt roads. I grew up on a dirt road and still ride to my mom's house. It's not bad but it's not great. A heavy bike, a shallow rake, 17" cast wheels and a rider who is leaned forward all lead to a bike that has a lot of front weight and a bad angle to deal with it. It is definitely not my KTM.

Stay off off the front brake as much as possible and sit yourself up and back as much as you can. Good road air pressure does not translate to good dirt pressure. Just be prepared to ride a little slower than you will any adventure bike.
CollingsBob, Bugs, Bounce and 2 others loved this
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

I ride mine on dirt the opposite of what most seem to and I experience none of what you're talking about. I ride it like it's a 250 lb dirt bike: 2nd or 3rd gear, high revs (4-5K), standing on pegs to get off the seat when needed for roughness. I too grew up riding dirt and sand & to me the FJR does extremely well for what it is. Despite the weight it can still be tossed around handily. I think if you're more aggressive and "yee-haw!" more often you'll be a lot less afraid of it. The front end sliding a little is totally different than a washout. And believe me, letting the azz end break loose on dirt ain't gonna kill ya. Unless you have a Gen3 and don't turn off traction control, then it'll kill ya.

Come to think of it, you ARE turning off traction control, right?
Bugs, bill lumberg, Bounce and 3 others loved this
HotRodZilla
Veteran
FJRModel: 07 FJR-A

Post by HotRodZilla »

rbentnail wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:43 pm I ride mine on dirt the opposite of what most seem to and I experience none of what you're talking about. I ride it like it's a 250 lb dirt bike: 2nd or 3rd gear, high revs (4-5K), standing on pegs to get off the seat when needed for roughness. I too grew up riding dirt and sand & to me the FJR does extremely well for what it is. Despite the weight it can still be tossed around handily. I think if you're more aggressive and "yee-haw!" more often you'll be a lot less afraid of it. The front end sliding a little is totally different than a washout. And believe me, letting the azz end break loose on dirt ain't gonna kill ya. Unless you have a Gen3 and don't turn off traction control, then it'll kill ya.

Come to think of it, you ARE turning off traction control, right?
Lol. I'm not sure TomInPA formerly in CA was super impressed when I lit off the rear wheel on Ray's dirt road on the way back from buying new tires. Haha! Like you, I don't have many issues, but I'm an asshole and I ride like one, sometimes.
Bust, rbentnail, bigjohnsd and 2 others loved this
Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

Like Russ said: high rpms, stand up or crouch for better balance, and loosen your grip on the handlebars. She’s too big to muscle her through stuff, so just “suggest” where you want her to go. Weight distribution is key, and for God’s sake, don’t do anything suddenly!

Packed dirt is GREAT! Gravel is OK unless it’s deep. Mud and and sand can be a horror movie. Be mentally and emotionally prepared to let her fall; if you strain something, you’ll need help picking her up and maybe need help getting her back to asphalt.

GPS mistakes in the southern Appalachians will often have you facing a decision: keep going, or make a humiliating 12-point turn on tiptoes on gravel or mud.
Bugs, rbentnail, Bounce and 1 others loved this
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
Canadian FJR
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018 FJR-1300ES, 2010 Ural Gear Up, 2003
Yamaha FJR-1300, 2001 Kawasaki KLR-650 (Gone to a new home), 1997 Suzuki TL-1000s (Gone but not forgotten), 1976 Honda 400 Four, 1968 Honda C-50 Step-thru

Post by Canadian FJR »

Did the Labrador Hwy on my 2003 and found plenty of dirt sections while in Alaska last year.

TKC 80s for Labrador
Two street tires for Kegaska
CT on the rear and street tire up front for Alaska

Both FJRs handled non pavement like champs.

Canadian FJR
Last edited by Canadian FJR on Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Uncle Hud, bungie4, rbentnail and 2 others loved this
John d
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008A

Post by John d »

I can honestly say that going up a very steep and very rain rutted gravel road presents challenges that the FJR and rider cannot always overcome.
Bugs, bigjohnsd, bungie4 and 2 others loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

John d wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:40 pm I can honestly say that going up a very steep and very rain rutted gravel road presents challenges that the FJR and rider cannot always overcome.
By looking at your avitar, it seems that raging rivers are no problem.
John d loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Bounce
Veteran
FJRModel: 2003

Post by Bounce »

I suspect it's the rider and not the bike. I know I've (cautiously) chased bonuses down gravel roads that had just gotten a load of new gravel (or not much traffic since it had been done). Think of gravel deep enough for the rim (or more) to be even with the gravel (whole tire down in it). 50 miles of very deep gravel meant being cautious and smooth but it was do-able. And for context, I am usually dirt-averse because off road has usually been where bad things happen to me (so little off-road time except on typical country dirt roads).
Last edited by Bounce on Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bugs, Uncle Hud, John d and 2 others loved this
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

I have very little experience on dirt or dirt bikes.

I have about a 1/4 mile of graded rock road to get to the cabin. Basically you just have to watch for pot holes or big rock that might have come to the surface. It's actually a well maintained road so no problem with the FJR. Then you turn onto another dirt road with some sand patches. The front end certainly gets squirrley on them. I think Zilla has a good explanation of why in his post. I have never had a problem but would not want to take the FJR on an actual Florida sandy road.

The MT09 is much lighter and especially lighter in the front. It is 10x easier to ride on the dirt roads than the FJR. A world of difference. I never get those oh crap moments on the MT like I do the FJR.

Hey, i thought it was an accomplishment riding the loaded FJR up Turk's driveway!!! Made this flat lander feel good.
Bugs loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

The only gravel I've ridden on is trying to get to the camp site - like REALLY short distance. In each case, my arse is so tight I could open a beer bottle with it. Pants does not like gravel on a 700 pound motorcycle with street tires.

One of my biggest fears is that the front tire is going to sling a rock into my radiator and punch a hole in it. So it's REAL low and slow for me.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

The Canadian FJR guy brings up a good point- a car tire. I've cut several rear bike tires on gravel, never cut a car tire on the FJR. I'm on my 3rd C/T and this one by far handles the best on dirt and in shallow sand. I got in deep loose sand one time. The front dove in about 8" and it was a bitch to steer but the C/T never sank and plowed me on through. Great adventure!
Uncle Hud, Brodie, bigjohnsd and 2 others loved this
D-Eagle
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR
2003 Honda VTX1800
2023 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT

Post by D-Eagle »

Normal dirt with some gravel road no problem. I keep it slow in 2nd gear. Mostly because I just came off of the highway and don't want hot tires throwing rocks at my radiator or paint. I'm able to stay out of substantial ruts. Doesn't bother me at all. Wouldn't say it's fun, just the last 2 miles are dirt to get to my mom's farm so it's necessity.
SE Ohio: Never trust a hill.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Hard gravel isn't a problem, loose gravel is.
Keep the debris off your rad with a nice carbon fender extender from bluebird engineering in Spain. Real carbon.
Debris will hit below the rad. The plastic rad guard seems to do a good job anyway.
Bugs, CraigRegs, and John d loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

John d wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:40 pm I can honestly say that going up a very steep and very rain rutted gravel road presents challenges that the FJR and rider cannot always overcome.
Pfffft. You just lack commitment.
HotRodZilla and danh600 loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

rbentnail wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:40 pm The Canadian FJR guy brings up a good point- a car tire. I've cut several rear bike tires on gravel, never cut a car tire on the FJR. I'm on my 3rd C/T and this one by far handles the best on dirt and in shallow sand. I got in deep loose sand one time. The front dove in about 8" and it was a bitch to steer but the C/T never sank and plowed me on through. Great adventure!
That's cause the CT turns the FJR into handling like a Massey-Ferguson.
HotRodZilla and Uncle Hud loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Never follow me up a dirt hill. Seemed easy. Others did not. Did not ride with me again. Griff made it down the same hill to find out why people weren't following, then he effen rode back up the supposedly unrideable hill. (May 2008)

Also, when the road is closed due to a flash flood, never follow a guy, who says he knows an alternative, when he turns on Green River Rd. (May 2018)
Bust, bill lumberg, and HotRodZilla loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Bounce
Veteran
FJRModel: 2003

Post by Bounce »

raYzerman wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:31 pm Hard gravel isn't a problem, loose gravel is.
Keep the debris off your rad with a nice carbon fender extender from bluebird engineering in Spain. Real carbon.
Debris will hit below the rad. The plastic rad guard seems to do a good job anyway.
I've been running an ABS plastic (?) Fenda Extenda from Pyramid Plastics since about 2004 and it's still going strong. I figure it's helped my in times of gravel.

https://pyramid-plastics.co.uk/collecti ... enda-fenda
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

The Fenda Extenda will help prevent holing your radiator in gravel as will an aftermarket metal radiator guard such as this one from Cox Racing
http://www.coxracingroup.com/RG-YAMAHA-FJR-1300-07-11_4

The Fenda Extenda may not offer as much protection against rocks as the metal screen but definitely is better for the fine gravel and grit that gets permanently trapped in the radiator fins. (I have both on my 2011) The OEM plastic rad guard is better than nothing but I wouldn't count on it - I had a couple of the plastic grids broken, picked out a couple rocks and had to straighten some bent fins on my '07 (without extra protection) but fortunately no punctures.