Yamaha Tall Shield Review

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
Blueridgerider
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Yamaha Tall Shield Review

Post by Blueridgerider »

I bought my 2016 about 3 months ago and found with the stock shield the wind noise/buffeting rather excessive even with earplugs so I bought the tall one after reading reviews and watching a YouTube video comparing the stock vs the tall. I had looked at all the other choices out there and finally decided to give the Yamaha a try. Today I was able to put it to the test in all kinds of conditions and speeds including rain.

The video review I watched concluded it provided great protection from buffeting but there was little mid section air with the shield up. The buffeting was most important to me as I already have tinnitus and want to preserve the hearing I have left so I figured I would take a chance, hoping for the best.

Well, I was really surprised at how good it was for me! I am 5:9 and found that at the top position it was very quiet in the pocket of air behind the shield. I was also getting quite a bit of airflow in my midsection and arms. Very surprised given the video review. I was wearing a mesh jacket and being in SC you need all the air you can get especially in the summer heat to keep from being miserable and I was comfortable. With the shield all the way down it actually seems to give you less air in the mid section and at my height the wind hit me right in the face, the same as the video review. I found the lowest position to be the least appealing even at slower speeds. I also found I could lower it quite a bit from the all the way position without any buffeting so I was able to look over it easily and still have the air pocket. Real pleased there.

It started to rain hard and I put the shield all the way up. I could see through it and did a great job of blocking the rain. I then lowered it a little at a time as I like to look over the shield especially when its raining and found it provided not only good buffeting protection as stated before but it also kept the rain out of my face. Just about perfect.

For my height at 5:9 the shield exceeded my expectations especially for wind noise and buffeting and I would recommend it to anyone looking for the improvements I was. I am not sure how it would be for those a few inches taller than myself however. Reviews always help me and I hope this does for anyone interested in purchasing a new shield who is trying to figure out which one is best for them.
jwilly, bill lumberg, NBB and 2 others loved this
2016 FJR1300A Traxxionized
2017 Kawasaki Z900
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Re: Yamaha Tall Shield Review

Post by wheatonFJR »

Glad you found something that you like. Good write up.

I am about the same height but have a taller torso than some. I have always done well with the stock shield in low position. If it rains or is cold at elevation I raise it up as required.

To each his own...glad we have choices.
Blueridgerider loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Viper_Dad
FJRModel: 2013

Post by Viper_Dad »

Thanks for the write-up, I agree with you. It's a great shield, especially in the winter months. I really enjoy the stock shield in the summer months, I leave it down to get that blast of hot, humid, Virginia air on my chest. It's just not riding without sweat pouring out of ever orifice. I was lucky, I scored the taller shield on eBay for $50 from some thrift shop... WINNING!
Blueridgerider and bill lumberg loved this
2013 - "Jolene"
Peter
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

I run the touring screen in the summer. With helis,I get battered with the stock screen. (Okay, I get battered with the stock screen even with the bars in the factory position). The Yamaha touring could easily be the best year round shield for me, if I could only have one. The same company that makes the touring screen makes the vstream 20308, which is pretty awesome as well. Similar coverage to the touring. Maybe a little more shoulder coverage.
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

bill lumberg wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:17 pm I run the touring screen in the summer. With helis,I get battered with the stock screen. (Okay, I get battered with the stock screen even with the bars in the factory position). The Yamaha touring could easily be the best year round shield for me, if I could only have one. The same company that makes the touring screen makes the vstream 20308, which is pretty awesome as well. Similar coverage to the touring. Maybe a little more shoulder coverage.
You get battered because you allow people to hit you with batons, but I won't quibble.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

Bastard. I’m giving your seat to a hobo.
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

bill lumberg wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:58 pm Bastard. I’m giving your seat to a hobo.
How'd you know? I haven't told anybody.
bill lumberg loved this
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2024 BMW R1300 GS

Post by CollingsBob »

I have the touring screen with an MRA touring X-Creen on top..I’m 6’1” tall and I find the combination pretty good..
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

What I did for the Honda is order this deflector (the wider one), and it clamps on securely and is fully adjustable. The acrylic does not appear to have any coatings, perhaps why it is cheap, but the adjuster stuff is pretty good stuff. I thought I'd try this before going with more expensive stuff like MRA. It does do wonders for the airflow, I never used one of these before, never liked the appearance, but I'm becoming a convert.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3288975 ... 4c4dqQbPkz
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
jblanken64
Squid
FJRModel: 2008

Post by jblanken64 »

raYzerman wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:51 pm What I did for the Honda is order this deflector (the wider one), and it clamps on securely and is fully adjustable. The acrylic does not appear to have any coatings, perhaps why it is cheap, but the adjuster stuff is pretty good stuff. I thought I'd try this before going with more expensive stuff like MRA. It does do wonders for the airflow, I never used one of these before, never liked the appearance, but I'm becoming a convert.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3288975 ... 4c4dqQbPkz
That's pretty much what I'm using on top of my vented touring screen. It seems to lack to pure clarity of the MRA, but it is cheaper and gets the job done. And gives me a lot of on the fly adjustability if I need it.