Oil leak from sensor?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
specs95t
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2004

Oil leak from sensor?

Post by specs95t »

As I was about to change the oil on my 2004 Gen I, I noticed some oil on the case between the oil level sight-glass and the oil filter. The wetness seems to be coming from an electrical connection, rather than the oil filter.

Any suggestions on a fix?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
silverback
Veteran
FJRModel: 2005

Re: Oil leak from sensor?

Post by silverback »

A real good way to pinpoint an oil leak is to clean the area with carb cleaner (careful of the paint in the lower fairing piece) and let it dry. Then get some cheap foot powder spray and coat the area. Let it run for a minute or two and check.

Oil leaks tend to migrate around from wind, gravity, etc. So the foot powder trick can save replacing gaskets or seals that aren't the issue. This could be the pan, that sensor ( oil level???) or even just some seepage from the filter. There are some filter brands that don't have a concave threaded portion that will look tight, but not seal.

Once the leak is found, pretty simple to just replace the offending leaky part.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

rbentnail, Cav47, and wheatonFJR loved this
There's just too much what the f@$k in this thread to know where to begin...
--BikerGeek
specs95t
Casual Rider

Post by specs95t »

silverback wrote:A real good way to pinpoint an oil leak is to clean the area with carb cleaner (careful of the paint in the lower fairing piece) and let it dry. Then get some cheap foot powder spray and coat the area. Let it run for a minute or two and check.

Oil leaks tend to migrate around from wind, gravity, etc. So the foot powder trick can save replacing gaskets or seals that aren't the issue. This could be the pan, that sensor ( oil level???) or even just some seepage from the filter. There are some filter brands that don't have a concave threaded portion that will look tight, but not seal.

Once the leak is found, pretty simple to just replace the offending leaky part.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Foot powder - an excellent idea!

I’ll give it a go and see what happens!

PuppyChowFJR
Squid
FJRModel: 2005

Post by PuppyChowFJR »

Looks like a Bosch filter on there.

Is it the concave Bosch or the convex Bosch?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

wheatonFJR loved this
specs95t
Casual Rider

Post by specs95t »

PuppyChowFJR wrote:Looks like a Bosch filter on there.

Is it the concave Bosch or the convex Bosch?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
Not sure.

I ended up replacing it last weekend with a high capacity Mobile 1 filter. I do recall that one was concave and the other was convex, but am not sure which was which!

I don’t think the oil came from a seeping oil filter connection. That was the first thing I checked when I saw the oil. Also, the drain plug was dry and the oil pan bolts were all tight (under the wire retainer bracket) and in both sides. I also checked the sensor on the bottom of the oil pan - that was dry as well.

Bizarre because the bolt under which the majority of the seepage has collected is tight and is part of the thick aluminum case.