The Dunlop Road Smart III compared to Michelin PR2/PR4GT Dilemma

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

The Dunlop Road Smart III compared to Michelin PR2/PR4GT Dilemma

Post by Hppants »

OK - here we go. NEPRT to the max. I'm fully prepared for whatever is thrown at me, and in spite of that, I'm still willing to ask the question:

What mileage (front and/or rear) are you getting out of the Dunlop Roadsmart III?

and more specifically:

If you have also tried the Michelin PR2 and/or PR4GT, how does that compare to the R/S III in terms of mileage?

I realize that there are dozens of variables that prohibit this from being a fair comparison. To that I say this - if GENERALLY, the conditions were the same (road conditions, riding style, adherence to tire pressure, loaded/not so loaded, etc), then fair enough. If there was a HUGE difference between these conditions, then I'd like to know about it.

What's the big deal, Pants, you say? I'm glad you asked. I think my brand loyalty to Michelin is costing me too much money.

A set of PR4GT's would now cost me: $351.00

A set of R/S III's would cost me $298.00 and now, there's a $75.00 rebate on a set of R/S IIIs now and that puts them at about $223.00. That's $125.00 a set difference!

Now then, mileage would make a difference. Mounting and balance cost is free, so I'm negating that.

I don't have much data to go by with the Gen 3 bike.

On the PR4, I get 7000-ish out of the rear, 8000-ish out of the front
On the PR2, I get 5000-ish out of the rear, 6000-ish out of the front

I'm considering leaving home with the R/S III's for CFR. I have a planned tire change at between 5000 and 6000 miles.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Re: The Dunlop Road Smart III compared to Michelin PR2/PR4GT Dilemma

Post by gixxerjasen »

Hppants wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 1:37 pm On the PR4, I get 7000-ish out of the rear, 8000-ish out of the front
On the PR2, I get 5000-ish out of the rear, 6000-ish out of the front
That right there is some strange data. The thing that's really kept me from moving off of the PR2 platform is that the PR4's cost more and usually people were getting a few less miles out of them. Interesting.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

Well again, I don't have much data to share. I've only really ran ONE set of PR4s to the end. The other two sets have been replaced before fully worn because of an upcoming trip. My PR2 data is also skewed because in both cases, at least some of that is "Arkansas miles".

$250.00 difference for two sets of tires ain't gonna break the bank, but again..... it's two hundred and fifty bucks....
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."

NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by NTXFJR »

Can't speak to the RS3's but can offer some personal data on PR2's and PR4GT's. I'm currently running a PR2 rear and T30 evo up front. Unfortunately like you say, the 4GT's are among the highest priced of the group. I put them on mine just before NAFO 16 and liked the handling feedback, plus on wet roads I felt they offer an unrivaled grip. My mostly slabbing experience with the 4GT's was around 9.5K rear and what probably wouldv'e been around 12K front but I changed it out beforehand for an upcoming trip. My next set were PR2's because I was going for tire life. They don't offer a 190 rear which was disappointing to me because a 180 skews the speedo slightly at hwy speeds. My experience with PR2's in limited hoon / mostly slabbing mode has been around 13.5K front and rear. In nearly pure slab mode last summer I saw around 15k for the rear. One of the complaints I've heard and have experienced on the Michelins is that once you get a few miles on them, the flat spot makes the front push back pretty aggressively in the turns. I've experienced this when at Hooterville trying to keep up with the hoons. Because of this issue, some of the members of the Smokie Mtn brigade recommended what they were using, which is a PR2 rear with decent cost to wear ratio, and a T30 evo up front. It seems that the T30 with a few miles on it doesn't cause near as much push back in the twisties. At somewhere around 6k, I have yet to go through my T30 evo front, but I can verify that this is true, so far so good for me.
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Buy the RS3's, I like the price too. Similar mileage to PR4's, handling is a little more neutral with the RS3's. The only way you'll know what they do is to use them yourself, but they are similar enough in mileage you aren't wrong with either. In general, tires with more grip will last less because the compounds are a little softer.
I usually run a Metzeler Z6 on the front, don't like the PR series tread pattern for fronts. Z6 doesn't track tar snakes as much, no noise. However, just mounted a front RS3 going to give it a shot. I think in general, RS3 will have just a touch more mileage than the PR4's not much.
RS3 rear I've run was pretty good. BTW, I use a 190/55 rear and like how the handling is a wee tad better, but only my opinion.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

Ray - have you tried both the PR4 and the RS3, and if so, can you tell me what mileage you got with them?

Craig - your Michelin mileage is better than mine - if I was getting that kind of mileage out of PR4s, then I wouldn't even have to worry about changing tires mid-trip. But alas, it is what it is. No point in stomping my feet over it.

NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran

Post by NTXFJR »

I can say that in apples to apples comparative riding, at least in my experience, that the PR2's will handily outlast the PR4's. Maybe it's the 4's added siping for extra wet grip.

IBA # 65427
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Hppants wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 5:16 pm Ray - have you tried both the PR4 and the RS3, and if so, can you tell me what mileage you got with them?

Craig - your Michelin mileage is better than mine - if I was getting that kind of mileage out of PR4s, then I wouldn't even have to worry about changing tires mid-trip. But alas, it is what it is. No point in stomping my feet over it.
I can't give you exact new to worn out, because I swapped out used for new knowing they wouldn't make that next big trip. I changed out a PR4 at 5500 miles and I know it had a couple left in it. However, I'd say they are quite similar.. talking rears only. PR2 I had only once, a little harder compound will last longer, I pushed it and it went 9k miles. From here on in, I have a spare set of wheels, so can leave them on.
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

NEPRT??? Wrong forum!

Try the Roadsmart III. With the current rebate available, you can't beat them. No experience with the PR4 but there is no contest between the PR2 (or PR3) and the new Dunlops. I had a set of the RSII and they sucked.
wheatonFJR loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

FJRoss wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 6:12 pm NEPRT??? Wrong forum!
Wrong indeed!

Ask away...we'll answer it. One way or another.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Post by 0face »

Darkside
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

I did cross post this at the other sandbox, and I'm pleased to report that so far, I'm definitely getting what I paid for over there.

Of course I'm over thinking this. That is what I do. You non-anal types sometimes have my sincere envy....

I'm not real crazy about trying a new tire on a bucket list trip.

But above all else, I want to avoid a tire problem in the middle of no where. If that happens, especially where Josh and I are going, it's going to cost us big time. First, we'll likely have to ride 300 miles just to get to a tire. Then we get in line and blow XX hours getting it installed, then I'll bend over without Vaseline and give them whatever amount of money they chose for the tire, then we get to ride 300 miles back to where we started. By that time, we've blown NO less than 1 precious day on our vacation. But it's still not over - essentially when I get to Kevin's house for my planned tire change, either I've wasted whatever mileage is left on the new tire, or I leave it on and blow the money I spent shipping that tire to Kevin in the first place.

I certainly think its fair enough to assume that the RS3 will last at least as long as a PR2. For the upcoming trip, I'm looking at 5000-6000 miles from home to Kevin's house, and then 2500-3500 miles home. If my actual mileage ends up being closer to the low end of my estimates, then BION, I might make it home on one fresh set of PR4s. But I think that's not likely and again, the last thing I want is worrying about a tire while on the road getting home by myself, in the rain, dead tired from 3 weeks of road on my arse, etc.

So I'm thinking that I'll leave home with a fresh set of PR4's. And then ship a set of RS3s to Kevin's. This will ensure that I get to Kevin's with plenty of tire - likely leave him with some emergency take offs he can use in a pinch (if he wants them). And the road from Kevin's to home will be much straighter and flatter and really should be a good test for the RS3's just to see how I like them and their mileage with me in the seat. This might be preferred over using an Arkansas trip as a guinea pig, where I smoke the front in about 2 days.

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

1. When in doubt, go with what you know.
2. You're gonna need tires again... buy the RS3's while the rebate is on, can't beat that.
3. They have meds for OCD don't they? Otherwise do what I do let your head explode then there's nothing in it.
wheatonFJR loved this
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

0face wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 9:00 pmDarkside
I would make a joke, but that would get the thread locked.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Brodie
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2008 Advanced Edition

Post by Brodie »

Oface has a point. If you want mileage from a rear tire, it’s no joke, darksiding will net you over 30,000 miles per tire. If you try it and find it doesn’t work for you, just put another motorcycle tire on the back and get on with your life.

My darksiding has saved me over $3500 in rear tire purchases over the years. That’s gas in the tank for me.

Brodie
👍
wheatonFJR loved this
Professionals: built The Titanic
Amateurs: - With God’s Blessing - built the Ark.

Which boat would you rather to sail on?
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran

Post by NTXFJR »

gixxerjasen wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 12:33 pm
0face wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 9:00 pmDarkside
I would make a joke, but that would get the thread locked.
Chicken

IBA # 65427
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

Josh and I went back and tried to more accurately estimate the anticipated mileage for this trip. Upon closer inspection, it appears to be 7,300, and that includes 500 miles for "unplanned" wandering.

The one PR4 rear that I ran to the wear band indicator went 7100 miles. A second is almost finished at 7000 miles (past the wear band indicator), but that includes 2500 miles of "spirited" north Georgia twisties.

The front will go farther.

So I think I'm going to leave with a fresh set of PR4s and I might make it home. A few days before I'm scheduled to get to Kevin's, I'll take a close look at it. If it's gonna be too close, I'll order a rear tire online and have it shipped to Kevin's for when I get there.

If I make it home, I'll order a set of RS3's and see how they go.
HotRodZilla and wheatonFJR loved this

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Brodie wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 7:30 pm Oface has a point. If you want mileage from a rear tire, it’s no joke, darksiding will net you over 30,000 miles per tire. If you try it and find it doesn’t work for you, just put another motorcycle tire on the back and get on with your life.

My darksiding has saved me over $3500 in rear tire purchases over the years. That’s gas in the tank for me.

Brodie
👍
Yep, I don't "get it" myself...but when you put it in those terms, I understand it.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

I"ve done it twice now. Fair shot. I'll stick with the bike tires, no single change to the bike completely kills the thrill of riding a bike as much as darksiding it.
wheatonFJR loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

YOu have to have the right tire to darkside, no stiff sidewalls, no runflats. Michelin Exalto best, no longer available, but there are good alternatives, Goodyear Triple Tread, etc. Yes you work a little harder on turn-ins, but can do as good as bike tire that sticks like glue. Since I got my own tire machine and spare set of wheels, went back to bike tire, sometimes miss that car tar.