Well, the 2018 FJR is out.....

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
silverback
Veteran
FJRModel: 2005

Re: RE: Re: Well, the 2018 FJR is out.....

Post by silverback »

palerider wrote:I'm waiting for self-cancelling turn signals.
You'd think they'd have them. My 81 model XS11 has them.

But, there's six gears now...???

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

There's just too much what the f@$k in this thread to know where to begin...
--BikerGeek
palerider
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2006AE

Re: Well, the 2018 FJR is out.....

Post by palerider »

If the auto-clutch model was available in NA, I would actually spend money to replace my 2006AE. I understand that they couldn't sell enough of them in the US/Canadian market to justify putting them in showrooms, but the solution to that seems obvious: reinstate the pre-order program (was it PDP?) they used for the FJR introduction 15 years ago. Then those of us who want/need the auto-clutch can get them without dealers having to stock them.
Steel_Gin loved this
Palerider
Steel_Gin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2012 FJR1300A

Post by Steel_Gin »

palerider wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:22 am If the auto-clutch model was available in NA, I would actually spend money to replace my 2006AE. I understand that they couldn't sell enough of them in the US/Canadian market to justify putting them in showrooms, but the solution to that seems obvious: reinstate the pre-order program (was it PDP?) they used for the FJR introduction 15 years ago. Then those of us who want/need the auto-clutch can get them without dealers having to stock them.
I'm still a bigger fan of the clutch but what you are saying make perfect sense. Be interesting to know why they don't do that anymore.
palerider
Casual Rider

Post by palerider »

deang wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:09 pm
palerider wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:22 am If the auto-clutch model was available in NA, I would actually spend money to replace my 2006AE. I understand that they couldn't sell enough of them in the US/Canadian market to justify putting them in showrooms, but the solution to that seems obvious: reinstate the pre-order program (was it PDP?) they used for the FJR introduction 15 years ago. Then those of us who want/need the auto-clutch can get them without dealers having to stock them.
I'm still a bigger fan of the clutch but what you are saying make perfect sense. Be interesting to know why they don't do that anymore.
I would like to be able to use the clutch, but the left-thumb-joint arthritis is a major pleasure-killer. I do have to say, though, that if you live in a heavy-traffic area, the auto-clutch is a wonderful thing all on its own.

A very long time ago, someone started working on a hybrid clutch/auto-clutch--trying to add a hydraulic clutch to an AE. Never heard how that turned out, so I suspect that it didn't succeed, but wouldn't an FJR with both a clutch and an auto-shifter be a lovely thing?
Palerider
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

palerider wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:30 am I'm waiting for self-cancelling turn signals.
Make sure you bring a lunch...you might get hungry waiting.
bill lumberg and Redfish loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

deang wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:09 pm I'm still a bigger fan of the clutch but what you are saying make perfect sense. Be interesting to know why they don't do that anymore.
Because for the 2006 FJR they adjusted the throttle cam profile and fueling to give it a bit more hit when getting on the throttle because of complaints of the previous generation being too soft. Easy to modulate when you are working the clutch but the on/off/on throttle on the AE is a bit abrupt without manual clutch control. Easily fixed with a replacement throttle tube with a softer cam and a power commander with a smoothed out map. However, those things don't come on magazine test bikes and the AE got put in the dog house by the American magazine reviews. Dealers trying to get folks to buy the bike with the $1700 upgrade were nearly having to take that much off the base model price to get them out the door. Adjustments were made to later bikes and it became a real gem off the showroom floor but the damage was already done to the reputation and they didn't sell, so Yamaha stopped sending them here.

Yamaha should take the current model and slide in a DCT and call it done. There's a lot of us who own the older AE's that would love to have something new but like the auto clutch. I wasn't sure when I bought mine about giving up the clutch but I tell you I don't miss it at all. And in traffic, I'm so much happier with the auto clutch.
bill lumberg loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
palerider
Casual Rider

Post by palerider »

gixxerjasen wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:11 pm
deang wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:09 pm I'm still a bigger fan of the clutch but what you are saying make perfect sense. Be interesting to know why they don't do that anymore.
Because for the 2006 FJR they adjusted the throttle cam profile and fueling to give it a bit more hit when getting on the throttle because of complaints of the previous generation being too soft. Easy to modulate when you are working the clutch but the on/off/on throttle on the AE is a bit abrupt without manual clutch control. Easily fixed with a replacement throttle tube with a softer cam and a power commander with a smoothed out map. However, those things don't come on magazine test bikes and the AE got put in the dog house by the American magazine reviews. Dealers trying to get folks to buy the bike with the $1700 upgrade were nearly having to take that much off the base model price to get them out the door. Adjustments were made to later bikes and it became a real gem off the showroom floor but the damage was already done to the reputation and they didn't sell, so Yamaha stopped sending them here.

Yamaha should take the current model and slide in a DCT and call it done. There's a lot of us who own the older AE's that would love to have something new but like the auto clutch. I wasn't sure when I bought mine about giving up the clutch but I tell you I don't miss it at all. And in traffic, I'm so much happier with the auto clutch.
No argument here; I would love that too. However, and I haven't researched this extensively (I assume no one here will be shy about correcting me), my superficial impression is that a DCT significantly saps power. If true, Yamaha would want to increase engine displacement (maybe a 1400?) if they were to add a DCT. The last thing they would want is for the moto-mags to scream about lack of power. (What is the sound of one death-knell clapping?)

They do like to get their money's worth out of a successful model, improving it gradually over a long period of time--the original VMax lasted 20 years. From an economic perspective, it would be a lot cheaper for them simply to allow me to pre-order the auto-clutch version than to create/integrate a new transmission and new engine.

In the meantime, I'm happy with my farkled-to-fit 2006AE.
Palerider
Harald
FJRModel: 2020 FJR1300ES

Post by Harald »

I don't know why they don't offer the AE on a PDP program except maybe it's not worth the extra regulatory requirements to bring it back to the USA? I don't have need or desire for one, but there is a Honda DCT bike in my garage and I can tell you that they have a slick system there.

My wife has a bum left ankle, so the NC700XD was perfect for her after I lowered it about an inch. The DCT works very well, but I don't like having the computer decide when to shift for me. You can easily put it in manual mode and use the paddle shifters to shift gears. It won't shift otherwise unless you come to a stop when it goes to first. The main problem is that this bike has a ridicuously low red line and I end up slamming into the limiter all the time. Better to keep it in sport automatic mode. A FJR1300 with DCT would be a hoot to ride. :)
lvideau
Squid
FJRModel: FJR 1300 AS

Post by lvideau »

gixxerjasen wrote:Well I like the color. Doesn't matter what I like because I'm not yet in the market for a replacement. But when I am, I might be snagging a low mileage used one of these.

I wouldn't have expected much other than BNC from Yamaha so soon after the last revisions. In fact I was surprised the last revisions came as soon as they did. They fixed the unnecessary sixth gear thing everyone complained about for so long. Far as I'm concerned, the current version is just about darn perfect and makes me wish I WAS in the market for a new one, but I'm not.

I said just about perfect because it doesn't have DCT on it yet. When it does, it will be absolutely perfect and I might be willing to part ways with my beloved old 07AE. I might even be tempted to buy new.
DCT is indeed so convenient! I have a NC750X DCT and I wish Yamaha could propose a DCT model for the FJR. I would buy immediately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lvideau
Squid

Post by lvideau »

gixxerjasen wrote:

I hope DCT will be proposée soon. I am waiting this comfort to buy a new FJR

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lvideau
Squid

Post by lvideau »

I know there are a lot of motorcyclists who believe automatic bikes (DCT way of Honda and many premium high end sport cars) are not fun. They have this opinion without having ever tried one.

Dual Clutch Technology is super exciting, comfortable, fun and so smooth. You can have both touring and sport mode.

And on top of that you can switch to entirely manual if you prefer. And manual shifting with a DCT is incomparable with a real clutch. So fast, smooth! Unbelievable.

How can we make Yamaha understand that the FJR is the bike which would benefit most from a DCT. I am hoping they do it quick before I am forced to go for the new Goldwing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

It’s no automatic, but the difference between the lever on the 2014 and the 2018 is amazing. So much less effort to pull the clutch lever in, at first you think something has come loose. I can’t quite pull it with just my pinky, but I came close.
wheatonFJR loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

bill lumberg wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:52 pm It’s no automatic, but the difference between the lever on the 2014 and the 2018 is amazing. So much less effort to pull the clutch lever in, at first you think something has come loose. I can’t quite pull it with just my pinky, but I came close.
That's good to hear.

That would good for those limp wristers....just kidding...
...it would be good for those that are a little light in the loafers as well.
bill lumberg loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
palerider
Casual Rider

Post by palerider »

I've gained a lot of weight. I guess that makes me heavy in the loafers.
bill lumberg loved this
Palerider