G2 throttle tamer with Oxford heated grips?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
jz3588
Squid
FJRModel: 2006

G2 throttle tamer with Oxford heated grips?

Post by jz3588 »

Has anyone used the above setup with any issues? I just purchased an 07 and I hear good things about the G2 in regards to throttle response, and feel the bike could benefit greatly with one..but I don't want to lose the comfort of heated grips..I've been spoiled as I have them installed on my VFR, and would like to do so with the FJR as well, if they don't interfere with one another.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited by jz3588 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Re: G2 throttle tamer with Oxford heated grips?

Post by raYzerman »

There should be no reason they shouldnt work.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Redfish
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014A and 2015ES

Post by Redfish »

It just so happens that I have done this very thing to Pop's '07. It will work fine but there are a couple of things that you need to know before you start.

1. Use the Oxford Premium ADVENTURE Grips. Do NOT buy the Touring grips, they are too short. The Oxford Premium Adventure Grips are the correct length.

2. There must be some internal reaming to get the grip over the knurled surface of the G2. Grind a little, try it. Grind a little more, try it. I used a drill bit wrapped in coarse sandpaper and a Makita battery powered drill.

Pop and I liked the Oxford grips so much that if it were possible to wire them into the Gen3 FJR's factory system easily, I would do it. The grips are slightly larger diameter, have a more textured surface and offer more grip than the stock grips. Pop loved them for their heat, their comfort, their security and he felt that they reduced hand fatigue with the stiff throttle return spring on the '07.

wheatonFJR loved this
Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas all at the same time.
jz3588
Squid

Re: RE: Re: G2 throttle tamer with Oxford heated grips?

Post by jz3588 »

Redfish wrote:It just so happens that I have done this very thing to Pop's '07. It will work fine but there are a couple of things that you need to know before you start.

1. Use the Oxford Premium ADVENTURE Grips. Do NOT buy the Touring grips, they are too short. The Oxford Premium Adventure Grips are the correct length.

2. There must be some internal reaming to get the grip over the knurled surface of the G2. Grind a little, try it. Grind a little more, try it. I used a drill bit wrapped in coarse sandpaper and a Makita battery powered drill.

Pop and I liked the Oxford grips so much that if it were possible to wire them into the Gen3 FJR's factory system easily, I would do it. The grips are slightly larger diameter, have a more textured surface and offer more grip than the stock grips. Pop loved them for their heat, their comfort, their security and he felt that they reduced hand fatigue with the stiff throttle return spring on the '07.

Perfect, thanks guys!!!
Also, I'm glad you clarified the adventure grips are the ones to use...I have the Oxford touring heated grips on my VFR and although I love them, they seem a bit short, so the adventure ones seem to be the ticket!
Thanks again guys!!
I see you have the Kako lock as well? Any notes on that?

Redfish
Veteran

Post by Redfish »

I had the Kaoko. I sold it for a ridiculous amount of money to a forum member I don't like. :twisted:

Okay, that was a bit of an untruth. That wonderful '07 was totaled and I salvaged the Kaoko and it went to a forum member with an '07 also. He seems to like it.

I had the Kaoko on my ST1300 and liked it so much that I put one on that '07 FJR for Pop. He used it and grew to like it very much.

He likes the Cruise Control on his Gen3 much better.
jz3588
Squid

Post by jz3588 »

Redfish wrote:I had the Kaoko. I sold it for a ridiculous amount of money to a forum member I don't like. :twisted:

Okay, that was a bit of an untruth. That wonderful '07 was totaled and I salvaged the Kaoko and it went to a forum member with an '07 also. He seems to like it.

I had the Kaoko on my ST1300 and liked it so much that I put one on that '07 FJR for Pop. He used it and grew to like it very much.

He likes the Cruise Control on his Gen3 much better.
ImageImageImage
Very well, I just wanted to verify there's no issue when using with heated grips, thanks for the info.
I've used the Meister on my father's ST1300, he has the heated grips as well and I know there are some notes that speak to not using with heated grips..he hasn't had any problems at all. Anyone have experience with both who would care to share pros and cons?

gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Not the Oxford but I have and love my G2 with the stock heated grips on my 07AE.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Redfish
Veteran

Post by Redfish »

Please clarify, "experience with both". Do you mean both the Kaoko and the Throttlemeister? What exactly are you asking?
jz3588
Squid

Post by jz3588 »

Redfish wrote:Please clarify, "experience with both". Do you mean both the Kaoko and the Throttlemeister? What exactly are you asking?
Yes, experience with both the Kako and Throttlemeister was what I meant to ask, sorry!

jz3588
Squid

Post by jz3588 »

gixxerjasen wrote:Not the Oxford but I have and love my G2 with the stock heated grips on my 07AE.
Cool, thanks! I ordered oneImage

gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

It's just a replacement throttle tube, so it should work just like the stock one would with a heated grip. If you have stock heated grips DO NOT CUT THEM OFF. Or at least until you see what they cost. :shock: :o Use the compressed air trick to get them off, works just fine.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Redfish
Veteran

Post by Redfish »

jz3588 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:20 pm
Redfish wrote:Please clarify, "experience with both". Do you mean both the Kaoko and the Throttlemeister? What exactly are you asking?
Yes, experience with both the Kako and Throttlemeister was what I meant to ask, sorry!

I have had both and much prefer the Kaoko. The Kaoko is almost invisible because it is black and closely resembles the original bar end weights. The Kaoko mechanism holds better. Or to be more specific, the Throttle Meisters I used all slipped and required frequent attention.

Other folks may disagree, that is just my personal experience.

Good Luck.