What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by bill lumberg »

Yep. Singing right knee and a lump on left shin, but shit, that’s nothing. I am grateful to get off so light. Very, very fortunate. Given what Oface has been through this year, I have nothing to whine about. Rode to the office this morning. 31F. Good ride. Did notice that the impact was enough to move both bars from the middle position to the rearmost position on the helibridge. Still symmetrical. Will adjust them Saturday. 🌴
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

bill lumberg wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:41 am Yep. Singing right knee and a lump on left shin, but shit, that’s nothing. I am grateful to get off so light. Very, very fortunate. Given what Oface has been through this year, I have nothing to whine about. Rode to the office this morning. 31F. Good ride. Did notice that the impact was enough to move both bars from the middle position to the rearmost position on the helibridge. Still symmetrical. Will adjust them Saturday. 🌴
Seems like an opportunity to look at the 2021 model. Weren't you thinking about going over to see D&H anyway for a warranty. How about you get your bike totaled and see if the new owners at D& H are good to work with?

You're welcome, I am just here to help!
danh600 and wheatonFJR loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Glad to read a good ending to this story, Mr. Bill.

Let me know if I can help with the insurance dance - I've done that a time or two (or hundred....)
Bugnatr, bill lumberg, and wheatonFJR loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

bill lumberg wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:35 pm Today, I picked it up from lying on the armor in the middle of the road. Got rear ended. ... <snip>
So sorry your year's off to a bad start. Glad you're OK, according to the updated injury report.

Close by if you need anything and more than happy to help.
Niehart, Bugnatr, and bill lumberg loved this
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

Just wrapped up replacing front fairing stay and upper cowling from my 2019 drop on the way home from SFO. Installed new battery as bike was still on the original and on cold mornings lately it's been cranking pretty slow. New LED headlight while the nose was off the bike made headlight install the easiest it's veer been for an FJR. Pulled the wiring for my Garmin Zumo 660 and replaced it with a new Garmin Zumo XT I snagged when Amazon was running a special recently.
bill lumberg, Spininprop, and Hppants loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
Blueridgerider
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by Blueridgerider »

danh600 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:09 pm
bill lumberg wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:35 pm Today, I picked it up from lying on the armor in the middle of the road. Got rear ended. Second car back hit the car behind me, car behind me (driven by an illegal with no license), hit me. Little sore, but no injuries. Guy that hit me was preparing to ease on down the road while I was still getting my bearings, until somebody pointed out that he was set to mosey.

Seemed like a really nice guy once I had his keys in my pocket. Wasn’t his fault someone ran into him.

Slight dent to left can. Bump on left case, very minor. Plastic tail section folded under. Contact was made with my rear wheel, but I don’t think it was enough to damage anything. Once again, armor saves a lot of headache and damage.

Rode fine on the way home, I suppose. Doing the insurance dance trying to get things fixed. Ride safe out there.
Glad you are ok. Those situations always suck.

That happened to me not long after I started riding. Banged up the back of my cruiser but didn't hurt me. Luckily I was not hit hard.

Car number 3 was texting, hit car number 2, who hit me.

The young lady in car 3 got out and continued her texting. She was very perturbed we were interrupting her day.

I checked on the lady in car number 2. She rewarded me by telling her insurance company I hit her.
They filed a claim on my insurance luckily my insurance called BS and didn't pay her a dime.

Never underestimate how crappy people can be in situations like this.
Damn sorry to hear about this Bill but as others have said, at least you were not seriously hurt and the bike can be repaired. As fighter pilots always say, "You gotta watch your six" but it sucks when your a sitting duck and some inattentive moron hits you and there is nothing you can do to avoid it. Great news you could ride home.

Ever since I had an car accident where a woman ran a red light and broadsided me then got out screaming it was me that ran it and hit her, I put dash cams in my cars and ride with a GoPro that records every ride. Most of us gear up to protect ourselves from the unthinkable when riding but really do not think about protecting ourselves from the low life's that want to take advantage of anyone they can like in these far too common situations. For me like wearing my gear, its a good feeling knowing that I will have a record of everything that happens out there whether good or bad.
bill lumberg and wheatonFJR loved this
2016 FJR1300A Traxxionized
2017 Kawasaki Z900
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

Monday, I learned that it’s true- the FJR has an auto shutoff if you let it run almost 30 minutes and don’t touch lever, pedal, or throttle. It shut off twice.

Also learned that an aerostich pump runs fine after two years shoved under the seat.

That a Bridgestone going flat at triple digits nudges you like a gentle lover trying to wake you.

That, even with a flashlight and plenty of time on your hands, you cannot always see a puncture in the dark on the roadside.

That a bribe will get you a ride in the cab of a tow truck, even when their Covid policy prohibits riders.

All prices approximate.

FJR $17,000
Aerostich pump $45
Aerostich suit $850
Warmnsafe jacket and glove liners $225
Bribe for the tow driver $20

Friend with warm garage, compressor, and coffee=Priceless

Ride safe, my friends. Every day is one day closer to summer.
Blueridgerider, Uncle Hud, Niehart and 10 others loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Out riding with jwilly again and he didn't stop?

Sonofabitch!
bill lumberg loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

TPMS, Bill!! BTW, auto shut-off is programmed to be 20 minutes.
bill lumberg loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

I have and use tpms. It was a rapid deflation. Felt and heard (tpms) low pressure pile driving into a curve. It was at 3 lbs by the time I got to the shoulder, zero thereafter. Tire was cool to the touch when I stopped.

Until I can get it pulled off and replaced with the 4GT in my garage, you can bet I’m watching that tpms like a hawk. January has been anything but boring.
raYzerman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:00 am TPMS, Bill!! BTW, auto shut-off is programmed to be 20 minutes.
Niehart, bigjohnsd, gixxerjasen and 4 others loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

Just over a year ago my T31GT got a puncture shortly after being mounted. Plugged fairly successfully but closely watched on TPMS. Had to add a couple PSI every week. Then it started falling faster. And finally one ride I had to stop with the inflator twice in 30 miles to get home. Had previously tried replacing the plug, no change. Spent time when the inflator was running with a spray bottle of eyeglass cleaner trying to find the leak, no luck. Spent an hour at home under the bike with a bowl of soapy water, paintbrush, air hose, pressure gauge. Nothing. Not tire, not rim, not bead, not tire valve. Yet was losing 5 PSI in 10 minutes on the centerstand. In the past I could hear lesser leaks than that.

That was enough. Off with that tire and on with a PR4GT. Hell of a way to repair a leak but it worked.
Blueridgerider, HotRodZilla, and wheatonFJR loved this
Bugnatr
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 SuperTanker1200. 2018 DCT Hippo,
2007 KLR650... the Goldwing of thumpers

Post by Bugnatr »

N4HHE wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:59 am Just over a year ago my T31GT got a puncture shortly after being mounted. Plugged fairly successfully but closely watched on TPMS. Had to add a couple PSI every week. Then it started falling faster. And finally one ride I had to stop with the inflator twice in 30 miles to get home. Had previously tried replacing the plug, no change. Spent time when the inflator was running with a spray bottle of eyeglass cleaner trying to find the leak, no luck. Spent an hour at home under the bike with a bowl of soapy water, paintbrush, air hose, pressure gauge. Nothing. Not tire, not rim, not bead, not tire valve. Yet was losing 5 PSI in 10 minutes on the centerstand. In the past I could hear lesser leaks than that.

That was enough. Off with that tire and on with a PR4GT. Hell of a way to repair a leak but it worked.
I have had slow leaks that submersion in water was the only way to find it.
gixxerjasen, HotRodZilla, and wheatonFJR loved this
It's too deep, this is a bike not a canoe.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Bugnatr wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:20 pm
N4HHE wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:59 am Just over a year ago my T31GT got a puncture shortly after being mounted. Plugged fairly successfully but closely watched on TPMS. Had to add a couple PSI every week. Then it started falling faster. And finally one ride I had to stop with the inflator twice in 30 miles to get home. Had previously tried replacing the plug, no change. Spent time when the inflator was running with a spray bottle of eyeglass cleaner trying to find the leak, no luck. Spent an hour at home under the bike with a bowl of soapy water, paintbrush, air hose, pressure gauge. Nothing. Not tire, not rim, not bead, not tire valve. Yet was losing 5 PSI in 10 minutes on the centerstand. In the past I could hear lesser leaks than that.

I have had slow leaks that submersion in water was the only way to find it.
Is that called a “water crossing “?
escapefjrtist and bigjohnsd loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Plugged the FJR into a battery tender in anticipation of a cold ride this weekend. The first post covid ride for me. Duane says he isn't scared.
Niehart and HotRodZilla loved this
Bugnatr
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 SuperTanker1200. 2018 DCT Hippo,
2007 KLR650... the Goldwing of thumpers

Post by Bugnatr »

wheatonFJR wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:13 pm Plugged the FJR into a battery tender in anticipation of a cold ride this weekend. The first post covid ride for me. Duane says he isn't scared.
Geeze, the guy moves south and in a couple years he's complaining it's cold.....
Uncle Hud and HotRodZilla loved this
It's too deep, this is a bike not a canoe.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Bugnatr wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:19 pm
wheatonFJR wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:13 pm Plugged the FJR into a battery tender in anticipation of a cold ride this weekend. The first post covid ride for me. Duane says he isn't scared.
Geeze, the guy moves south and in a couple years he's complaining it's cold.....
It's effen freezing out there...
Bugnatr loved this
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

Rode to work every day this week. Monday was cold at 23 degrees but it's been almost balmy since. 33 was low temp this morning. You guys down South thinking it's cold...
PhilJet09, Uncle Hud, bill lumberg and 1 others loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Aired up the tires and charged the battery in anticipation of tomorrow's ride. Its been awhile.

Oh, and quaked in my boots like a little Chihuahua from worry.
Pterodactyl, PhilJet09, Cav47 and 1 others loved this
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

wheatonFJR wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:26 pm
Did you pee on the floor too?
Bugnatr, Cav47, HotRodZilla and 1 others loved this
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

FJRoss wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:24 pm
wheatonFJR wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:26 pm
Did you pee on the floor too?
From what Louanne says, that incontinence is normal so the puddle could be fear or excitement related. Lol.

Have a great ride tomorrow Wheatie!
wheatonFJR loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!