What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
Post Reply
User avatar
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
Posts: 5184
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:49 am
FJRModel: 2009 CBF1000A Raspberry, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee
Location: Millgrove, Ontario, CA
x 1312
x 4298

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by raYzerman » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:42 am

OK G, how are you controlling those ES forks, assuming they are the ES ones.......
CollingsBob, John d, and wheatonFJR loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.

User avatar
gixxerjasen
Veteran
Posts: 3115
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:50 pm
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE
Location: DFW
x 2153
x 3394

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by gixxerjasen » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:56 am

Spininprop wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:52 am
gixxerjasen wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:13 pm
Hppants wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:56 pm
Where are you mounting the fuze block? If under the seat, there is an easier trigger source with the license plate light circuit.
Yea, wish I'd known this ages ago. The headlight is a terrible idea for a trigger source. Unless of course you never use the high beams
For my fuzeblock mounted under the rear seat i tapped the lic. Plate light. The wire to tap is 4" from the unit, makes it easy.
Yea, I'd seen some interesting deals about wiring using power cord from computers, three wires insulated, easy to run. I had a box of server power cord that needed thrown out so I grabbed one and did the run. With that, it's easier to just tie into something up front. I didn't realize the low beam goes out when you turn on the high beam. Oops. I wish I traveled enough that I'd use my high beam more so it'd annoy me enough to fix it, but alas, no time for all that amazing travel.
bill lumberg loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Family Bikes: 2006 Honda CRF70F | 2005 Honda CRF230F

User avatar
FJRoss
Veteran
Posts: 760
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:41 pm
FJRModel: 2011 A
Location: Fredericton NB (Canada)
x 177
x 513

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by FJRoss » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:55 pm

The other problem (or possibly advantage?) of using the headlight is that you cannot just turn on the key and get power to your accessories. The headlight doesn't come on until the engine has started. If you want to trigger a relay up front, you can use the "lighter" socket in the glove box. Downside of that is it is lightly fused and you will lose anything plugged into the fuzeblock if you pop that fuse. Easy to do when plugging or unplugging GPS or USB charger. I used the tail light to trigger mine - works well with the fuzeblock mounted under the seat - unlikely to blow that fuse under normal conditions.

User avatar
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
Posts: 1515
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:03 pm
FJRModel: 2018ES
x 2041
x 1811

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by bill lumberg » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:22 pm

Rode it to the grocery store for supplies, quickly, as I’m trying to intercept the package arriving today with Mrs. Lumberg’s Christmas oeishay elmethay.
wheatonFJR loved this
Active member of the Natural Consequences Guild.

IBA# 69560

User avatar
gixxerjasen
Veteran
Posts: 3115
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:50 pm
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE
Location: DFW
x 2153
x 3394

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by gixxerjasen » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:06 pm

FJRoss wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:55 pm
The other problem (or possibly advantage?) of using the headlight is that you cannot just turn on the key and get power to your accessories. The headlight doesn't come on until the engine has started. If you want to trigger a relay up front, you can use the "lighter" socket in the glove box. Downside of that is it is lightly fused and you will lose anything plugged into the fuzeblock if you pop that fuse. Easy to do when plugging or unplugging GPS or USB charger. I used the tail light to trigger mine - works well with the fuzeblock mounted under the seat - unlikely to blow that fuse under normal conditions.
I don't have a lot of stuff going to my fuse box, incidentally, the two main things are the GPS and phone charging cables. I've not used the one in the glove box ever. I'll move it one day, like I said, it hasn't annoyed me enough to go digging around again.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Family Bikes: 2006 Honda CRF70F | 2005 Honda CRF230F

User avatar
Hack
Member
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:25 pm
FJRModel: 2016 ES
Location: Waterdown On. Canada
x 4
x 437

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by Hack » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:26 pm

Farkle'd my power supply for my new Garmin 396.

Simply put a waterproof male plug on the end of the Garmin wires...
Image

Soldered up a cig. lighter plug with the corresponding female connector. 'Plug that bitch into the power outlet inside the glove box, run the cable down through the drain hole and plug in the Garmin for easy "switched" power.
Image

Also soldered up another connector I can plug into my battery tender pigtail if I decide to go straight to the battery for juice.
Image
Hppants, CollingsBob, escapefjrtist and 3 others loved this
I drank what..?
-Socrates

User avatar
RacinRay
Veteran
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:01 pm
FJRModel: 2016 ES 2011 Triumph Speed Triple
Location: Upstate NY
x 6
x 254

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by RacinRay » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:58 pm

Moved it forward in the garage so I could get to the snowblower. We're getting 8" - 14" of snow tonight into tomorrow.
fontanaman and bill lumberg loved this
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

User avatar
Hack
Member
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:25 pm
FJRModel: 2016 ES
Location: Waterdown On. Canada
x 4
x 437

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by Hack » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:04 pm

RacinRay wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:58 pm
Moved it forward in the garage so I could get to the snowblower. We're getting 8" - 14" of snow tonight into tomorrow.
'Better than 15'

I drank what..?
-Socrates

User avatar
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
Posts: 2279
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:38 pm
FJRModel: 2017 FJR - Raven Is the Best Color just ask ~G, 2017 DR650
Location: Spokane, Washington
x 1764
x 2285

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by fontanaman » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:28 pm

I bought oil and filters on Black Friday for my FJR. Part came today so now I can do a valve check.

Change the engine air filter and cabin filter on my cage. Oops wrong forum. :D

User avatar
Spininprop
Member
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:05 pm
FJRModel: 2016A
Sold 2013 GSX-R1000
Sold 2003 GSX-R1000
Sold 2000 Bandit 600
Location: York, PA
x 156
x 139

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by Spininprop » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:44 pm

gixxerjasen wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:56 am
Spininprop wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:52 am
gixxerjasen wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:13 pm


Yea, wish I'd known this ages ago. The headlight is a terrible idea for a trigger source. Unless of course you never use the high beams
For my fuzeblock mounted under the rear seat i tapped the lic. Plate light. The wire to tap is 4" from the unit, makes it easy.
Yea, I'd seen some interesting deals about wiring using power cord from computers, three wires insulated, easy to run. I had a box of server power cord that needed thrown out so I grabbed one and did the run. With that, it's easier to just tie into something up front. I didn't realize the low beam goes out when you turn on the high beam. Oops. I wish I traveled enough that I'd use my high beam more so it'd annoy me enough to fix it, but alas, no time for all that amazing travel.
Never even thought about the low beam going out, glad im lazy and found a shorter run to the trigger wire.
2016 FJR1300A
2013 GSX-R1000 Sold
2003 GSX-R1000 Sold
2000 Bandit 600 Sold

User avatar
1911
Veteran
Posts: 499
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:44 am
FJRModel: 2007
Location: Laurens SC
x 148
x 1107

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by 1911 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:10 pm

Washed it, and then took it around the block for one of those "long shadow blow dry" runs

Image

Image

Image

Image
Hppants, NTXFJR, and wheatonFJR loved this
Image

User avatar
escapefjrtist
Veteran
Posts: 615
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:51 pm
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A
Location: Snohomish WA
x 614
x 530

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by escapefjrtist » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:42 pm

raYzerman wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:42 am
OK G, how are you controlling those ES forks, assuming they are the ES ones.......
ES forks, currently with stock cartridges. For now, plug into a buddies ES, set the dampening where I want it and leave it be. From what I've learned, the forks retain the last setting at key off. I'll ride it through the winter this way. Truth be known, once I set my GP forks where I liked them, I never touched settings until next maintenance. ;)

If this grand experiment works out I'll source a set of aftermarket cartridges for the USD forks.

~G
bigjohnsd, Hppants, NTXFJR and 2 others loved this
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere

User avatar
gixxerjasen
Veteran
Posts: 3115
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:50 pm
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE
Location: DFW
x 2153
x 3394

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by gixxerjasen » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:11 am

Spininprop wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:44 pm
Never even thought about the low beam going out, glad im lazy and found a shorter run to the trigger wire.
I didn't either, headed out of Dallas going west years ago, early early in the morning. Got out of town and fipped on the high beams and my GPS started asking me if I wanted to it to turn off. Took me a little bit to figure out what exactly was going on.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Family Bikes: 2006 Honda CRF70F | 2005 Honda CRF230F

User avatar
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
Posts: 5184
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:49 am
FJRModel: 2009 CBF1000A Raspberry, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee
Location: Millgrove, Ontario, CA
x 1312
x 4298

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by raYzerman » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:41 am

G, there's no preload adjustment but the springs are 1.0 straight rate, so no worries there. I'm not so sure you need any new valving either, and I think the cartridges are rotary valves... now what's to stop you from retrofitting a set of FJR-A caps (assuming they fit) and using the preload adjusters as damping screws (adjusting an A's preload does rotate the cartridge upper "tube"). The A's rebound "rod" is not required as the ES doesn't have that.
OTOH, one could look into some R1 fork caps...... a little research required perhaps....
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.

User avatar
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
Posts: 5184
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:49 am
FJRModel: 2009 CBF1000A Raspberry, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee
Location: Millgrove, Ontario, CA
x 1312
x 4298

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by raYzerman » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:00 am

For the last few days...... cleaned and shined up the FJR to a level G would be proud of, installed Gen3 dash shelf along with the GPS mount and voltmeter, new fluids, then Sunday transported it to its new owner. Yep, Root Beer is residing 40 minutes away with one of my best friends, and I'm sure it will be making maintenance visits.... as I've worked on his ST1300 over the years... and his ST is now sitting in my shop getting a cleanup for a spring sale.... this discussion has been going on for about a year.... meanwhile my Honda CBF will be getting some more love and a couple of tweaks....
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.

User avatar
Hppants
Contributor
Veteran
Posts: 3160
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:22 pm
FJRModel: 2014
x 4587
x 3608

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by Hppants » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:26 am

Rode the bike 250 miles yesterday. And walked 7 miles in the woods between bike stints.

It was a gorgeous and peaceful day.
gixxerjasen and wheatonFJR loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Image

User avatar
griff
Veteran
Posts: 589
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:42 pm
FJRModel: 2014 ES
Location: Greer, SC
x 153
x 509

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by griff » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:24 am

escapefjrtist wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:42 pm
raYzerman wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:42 am
OK G, how are you controlling those ES forks, assuming they are the ES ones.......
ES forks, currently with stock cartridges. For now, plug into a buddies ES, set the dampening where I want it and leave it be. From what I've learned, the forks retain the last setting at key off. I'll ride it through the winter this way. Truth be known, once I set my GP forks where I liked them, I never touched settings until next maintenance. ;)

If this grand experiment works out I'll source a set of aftermarket cartridges for the USD forks.

~G
G - I gotta ask ya - why did you put these ES forks on your bike?
Image

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
Posts: 12228
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:10 pm
FJRModel: 2013
x 17715
x 7816

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by wheatonFJR » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:59 am

griff wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:24 am
escapefjrtist wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:42 pm
raYzerman wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:42 am
OK G, how are you controlling those ES forks, assuming they are the ES ones.......
ES forks, currently with stock cartridges. For now, plug into a buddies ES, set the dampening where I want it and leave it be. From what I've learned, the forks retain the last setting at key off. I'll ride it through the winter this way. Truth be known, once I set my GP forks where I liked them, I never touched settings until next maintenance. ;)

If this grand experiment works out I'll source a set of aftermarket cartridges for the USD forks.

~G
G - I gotta ask ya - why did you put these ES forks on your bike?
Because the fork tubes look shinier...I'm guessing. That, and the change in unsprung weight allows him to drag a knee just that much farther into a curve, when Niehart is elbowing him during the pass.
escapefjrtist loved this

User avatar
gixxerjasen
Veteran
Posts: 3115
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:50 pm
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE
Location: DFW
x 2153
x 3394

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by gixxerjasen » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:22 am

wheatonFJR wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:59 am
griff wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:24 am
G - I gotta ask ya - why did you put these ES forks on your bike?
Because the fork tubes look shinier...I'm guessing. That, and the change in unsprung weight allows him to drag a knee just that much farther into a curve, when Niehart is elbowing him during the pass.

If we are throwing out half assed guesses, I got one. Maybe he gixxerjasen'd his forks and found a set of these cheap on fleabay! :D
Hppants and wheatonFJR loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Family Bikes: 2006 Honda CRF70F | 2005 Honda CRF230F

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
Posts: 12228
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:10 pm
FJRModel: 2013
x 17715
x 7816

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by wheatonFJR » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:49 am

gixxerjasen wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:22 am
wheatonFJR wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:59 am
griff wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:24 am
G - I gotta ask ya - why did you put these ES forks on your bike?
Because the fork tubes look shinier...I'm guessing. That, and the change in unsprung weight allows him to drag a knee just that much farther into a curve, when Niehart is elbowing him during the pass.

If we are throwing out half assed guesses, I got one. Maybe he gixxerjasen'd his forks and found a set of these cheap on fleabay! :D
No.
I'm pretty sure there is only one person that has done that. Nice try buddy.

:D :D

Post Reply