What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by Hppants »

At one point about 3 years ago, I thought I was losing my mind. Thinks were so unbelievably crazy. Crazy at work, crazy at home - crazy. I was missing things. Forgetting things. Etc. Honestly, at one point silly thoughts of alztimers (sp) were running though my mind.

At lunch one day, I shared that with a riding buddy and he quite matter-of-factly stopped my explanation.

(paraphrasing)

"You are not losing your shit. Your brain is a bucket. It can only hold so much water. As the water gets to the rim, you can try to add more, drop by drop, hoping for just a little more capacity. But at some point, that next drop is going to over fill the bucket and quite a bit is going to fall out. This is just the way it is. Now, you can voluntarily dump some of your brain bucket water now. Get rid of the less important water, leaving some capacity for more important things later. Or you can wait for the last drop to do its thing. This is just the way it is."

I've thought about that a lot since then....
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

John d
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008A

Post by John d »

Yah, but how come no information gets into an airhead.
John d
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008A

Post by John d »

Leaky bucket, I suppose.
wheatonFJR loved this
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

And yet they tell us we only use 10% of that bucket. I'm really trying to cram more in there and get that 11% but it doesn't seem to work. I'm guessing instead of a bucket, it's more like a hard drive, and we only have partitioned 10% for use. Sigh.
Uncle Hud and Blueridgerider loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

gixxerjasen wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:57 am And yet they tell us we only use 10% of that bucket. I'm really trying to cram more in there and get that 11% but it doesn't seem to work. I'm guessing instead of a bucket, it's more like a hard drive, and we only have partitioned 10% for use. Sigh.
The other 90% are used for riding.
bill lumberg and Blueridgerider loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

gixxerjasen wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:57 amAnd yet they tell us we only use 10% of that bucket. I'm really trying to cram more in there and get that 11% but it doesn't seem to work. I'm guessing instead of a bucket, it's more like a hard drive, and we only have partitioned 10% for use. Sigh.
gixxerjasen,

I believe that the brain is like a muscle, in a way - the more you work it, the stronger it gets. You can actually make new neural connections in there which you did not have before, such as when you are learning to write/play music. When I led a team of electronics types, sometimes management dumped a few really dim bulbs on us. Every one of them took up the challenge (for a cause they "believed in"), and soon they were doing things which surprised even themselves. Each one advanced in pay, which they weren't even hoping to have happen.

The brain is not like a bucket, it is like an inflatable balloon. Pick a good challenge for yourself, something that you want to learn, and go for it. Whether you believe that you can or you can't do something, you will probably be right. Believing in yourself counts for a lot. :geek:
Uncle Hud and Blueridgerider loved this
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

Red, unfortunately I do enjoy learning new things. I say unfortunately because it seems that the things I choose to learn require a lot of $$$ in the process. For instance, today, while in my continued learning to freestyle fly quadcopters, I tossed mine across the ground many times requiring some part replacement, which is apart from the steep price of entry. But, having built the quad myself, another expensive learning process (burned out a flight controller and ESC) I know how to repair it.

Been playing DCS World, a full fidelity flight simulator where you'll need the actual military training manuals to learn all the systems, is another money pit that I'm working to keep from falling too far down. Geez, some guys build entire cockpits with actuators for movement all while using VR.

We all know how expensive it's been for me learning to work on my motorcycles, though I'd say it's paid for itself in the long run.

But at least there's work, which requires lots and lots of continual learning. In fact, discussing the above hobbies I believe helped me through my interview as my employer values a "Growth mindset" and it was discussed at length. I can't do a job where I get stuck doing the same thing over and over again, I get bored. Got to always be learning stuff.

But the old brain feels full from time to time and based on assisting my son with his school homework, I've apparently purged a lot of early education knowledge to free up space. :D
Hppants, bill lumberg, and Blueridgerider loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

gixxerjasen wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:57 pm ...In fact, discussing the above hobbies I believe helped me through my interview as my employer values a "Growth mindset" and it was discussed at length...
I'm guessing there were lots of laughs while going through tidbits of motorcycle fork maintenance.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

wheatonFJR wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:13 pm
gixxerjasen wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:57 pm ...In fact, discussing the above hobbies I believe helped me through my interview as my employer values a "Growth mindset" and it was discussed at length...
I'm guessing there were lots of laughs while going through tidbits of motorcycle fork maintenance.
It was more of an overview big picture kind of discussion, we didn't get down into THOSE particular nitty gritty details. :D

The art of giving information and knowing what to withold. :D
wheatonFJR loved this
My Blog

bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

Rode it to work with the new backup helmet. Found that cold tires+road reflector+curve can induce cool momentary front tire slide that can increase alertness, promote focus, and enhance an overall sense of well-being.
Uncle Hud, morecowbell, CollingsBob and 2 others loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
Spininprop
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022ES
Traded 2016A
Sold 2013 GSX-R1000
Sold 2003 GSX-R1000
Sold 2000 Bandit 600

Post by Spininprop »

gixxerjasen wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:57 pm Red, unfortunately I do enjoy learning new things. I say unfortunately because it seems that the things I choose to learn require a lot of $$$ in the process. For instance, today, while in my continued learning to freestyle fly quadcopters, I tossed mine across the ground many times requiring some part replacement, which is apart from the steep price of entry. But, having built the quad myself, another expensive learning process (burned out a flight controller and ESC) I know how to repair
:D
Been assembling an electronics bench to get back into working on audio equipment. Yep the dollars add up for the right equipment. Fun is never cheap.

P.s. if anyone has an HP 8903b and or HP8656b available pm me... :>)
IBA# 84110
2022 FJR1300ES
2016 FJR1300A Traded
2013 GSX-R1000 Traded
2003 GSX-R1000 Sold
2000 Bandit 600 Traded
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

bill lumberg wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:55 am Rode it to work with the new backup helmet. Found that cold tires+road reflector+curve can induce cool momentary front tire slide that can increase alertness, promote focus, and enhance an overall sense of well-being.
Careful out there... I heard that scenario can also cause stained underwear.
El Toro Joe loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

Rode to work this morning. Temps were higher than forecast so it was actually a pretty pleasant ride. Should be even better going home.
El Toro Joe loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

raYzerman wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:15 am
bill lumberg wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:55 am Rode it to work with the new backup helmet. Found that cold tires+road reflector+curve can induce cool momentary front tire slide that can increase alertness, promote focus, and enhance an overall sense of well-being.
Careful out there... I heard that scenario can also cause stained underwear.
Or a crease in the seat from the butt clench...
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

I would change yer helmet.
John d loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Of course Red is correct, we are only limited by our imagination and our will to learn.

But the context of my post stands on its own. When it's crazy stupid busy, it's quite frankly hard to worry about drowning when the alligators are nipping on your ass. After a while, the bucket just overflows....

Back on point, the FJR stays in the shop today.

Wife and I are going crabbing!!
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Hppants wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:52 am ... When it's crazy stupid busy, it's quite frankly hard to worry about drowning when the alligators are nipping on your ass. After a while, the bucket just overflows....
First and only rule..."Fly the Plane". Everything else is secondary.

If people are yelling and screaming and crying in the background, it don't matter as long as you land the plane.

It doesn't even have to be on the runway.
morecowbell loved this
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Hppants wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:28 am At one point about 3 years ago, I thought I was losing my mind. Thinks were so unbelievably crazy. Crazy at work, crazy at home - crazy. I was missing things. Forgetting things. Etc. Honestly, at one point silly thoughts of alztimers (sp) were running though my mind.

At lunch one day, I shared that with a riding buddy and he quite matter-of-factly stopped my explanation.

(paraphrasing)

"You are not losing your shit. Your brain is a bucket. It can only hold so much water. As the water gets to the rim, you can try to add more, drop by drop, hoping for just a little more capacity. But at some point, that next drop is going to over fill the bucket and quite a bit is going to fall out. This is just the way it is. Now, you can voluntarily dump some of your brain bucket water now. Get rid of the less important water, leaving some capacity for more important things later. Or you can wait for the last drop to do its thing. This is just the way it is."

I've thought about that a lot since then....
Hppants, wheatonFJR, gixxerjasen and 1 others loved this
Powerman
Veteran
FJRModel: 06fjr

Post by Powerman »

Love me some Far Side
Quote that cartoon when I'm giving training.

Like the kid from Midvale School for the Gifted pushing on the pull signed door.
Wearing the T shirt, pushing on the pull door at the auto parts store, kid points at my shirt "dad that's you".

I was having Alzheimer's thoughts this week. f@$k it, can't lose a whole box of screwdrivers at once.
Uncle Hud, Hppants, El Toro Joe and 1 others loved this
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

Powerman wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:05 pm Love me some Far Side

I was having Alzheimer's thoughts this week. f@$k it, can't lose a whole box of screwdrivers at once.
Were they 10mm screw drivers?
wheatonFJR loved this
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"