What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by N4HHE »

Checked final drive oil level. Used Mobil-1 first 65,000 miles my supply dried up. Used Valoline I had laying around. Gears whined. Changed to Amsoil the next day. Pinion bearing started leaking. Ordered new seal. By the time the seal arrived the shaft was not dripping and insignificant oil lost.

Shocked at acclimated grime 6 months later. Checked oil level, still great. Brush, cleaner, and paper towels removed 1/8” of crud around the swingarm drip hole.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

I washed my FJR yesterday. Ready for a ride tomorrow.

Yes get a Givi SR357. Highly recommended. Wouldn't use a topcase without one.
escapefjrtist loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Home safe after two days and 800 miles.

East Texas ain’t western North Carolina, but it’s decent riding.

Ride report to follow.
gixxerjasen, danh600, fontanaman and 1 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Rode the heck out of it chasing a Fed Ex van on 536 driven by a girl.
Hppants and escapefjrtist loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

I saw a sticker today for you - "You just got passed by a girl"...
wheatonFJR wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:50 pm Rode the heck out of it chasing a Fed Ex van on 536 driven by a girl.
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
FastPappy
Veteran
FJRModel: 2009 AE

Post by FastPappy »

Well got a chance to take a closer look today at the subframe and confirmed no cracking of the aluminum only some cracking/twisting of the plastic cross brace at the beginning or ending depending on which way you're looking of the grab rails. Actually the piece with mama yama's warning sticker about the 7 pound load limit. I also took advantage of the search feature on the forums and found some interesting info on the Aussie site which said that even if the box is not overloaded traveling at high speeds (not that I would ever exceed the speed limit :oops: ) could exert a wind load on the top box. They also mentioned bumpy roads could also cause some unusual loading and since I live in the Baja of the North East I'm thinking that combo is my problem. Since the damage is so minor and I don't have any long trips planned I'll just take the box off for now till I get around to addressing it. Also found that mama yama makes a more robust aluminum rack but haven't made up my mind whether I would go with that or the Givi unit. ;)
gixxerjasen loved this
Pappy 09AE
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

FastPappy wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:21 pm Well got a chance to take a closer look today at the subframe and confirmed no cracking of the aluminum only some cracking/twisting of the plastic cross brace at the beginning or ending depending on which way you're looking of the grab rails. Actually the piece with mama yama's warning sticker about the 7 pound load limit. I also took advantage of the search feature on the forums and found some interesting info on the Aussie site which said that even if the box is not overloaded traveling at high speeds (not that I would ever exceed the speed limit :oops: ) could exert a wind load on the top box. They also mentioned bumpy roads could also cause some unusual loading and since I live in the Baja of the North East I'm thinking that combo is my problem. Since the damage is so minor and I don't have any long trips planned I'll just take the box off for now till I get around to addressing it. Also found that mama yama makes a more robust aluminum rack but haven't made up my mind whether I would go with that or the Givi unit. ;)
IIRC when I bought an OE top case yrs ago for my '07 there were three warnings that came with it:

- do not exceed 80 mph;
- do not use side cases and top case at the same time;
- do not exceed 7 lbs.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

extrememarine wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:16 pm I saw a sticker today for you - "You just got passed by a girl"...
wheatonFJR wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:50 pm Rode the heck out of it chasing a Fed Ex van on 536 driven by a girl.
That would be highly inaccurate. I caught her ...and it was REALLY fun doing it!
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
FastPappy
Veteran

Post by FastPappy »

rbentnail wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:05 am
FastPappy wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:21 pm Well got a chance to take a closer look today at the subframe and confirmed no cracking of the aluminum only some cracking/twisting of the plastic cross brace at the beginning or ending depending on which way you're looking of the grab rails. Actually the piece with mama yama's warning sticker about the 7 pound load limit. I also took advantage of the search feature on the forums and found some interesting info on the Aussie site which said that even if the box is not overloaded traveling at high speeds (not that I would ever exceed the speed limit :oops: ) could exert a wind load on the top box. They also mentioned bumpy roads could also cause some unusual loading and since I live in the Baja of the North East I'm thinking that combo is my problem. Since the damage is so minor and I don't have any long trips planned I'll just take the box off for now till I get around to addressing it. Also found that mama yama makes a more robust aluminum rack but haven't made up my mind whether I would go with that or the Givi unit. ;)
IIRC when I bought an OE top case yrs ago for my '07 there were three warnings that came with it:

- do not exceed 80 mph;
- do not use side cases and top case at the same time;
- do not exceed 7 lbs.
Woops! :oops:
Pappy 09AE
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

You're overthinking it a bit.... your subframe is not broken and you've noticed a crack....... so replace it with something more robust. The Givi or Shad racks will work, as will the very pricey Yamaha aluminum rack.......
fontanaman loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

The original Yamaha 39 liter trunk may be 39 liters, but due to the internal shape it is hard to use the space unless the contents are soft and can fold. Dunno about the new Yamaha trunks but it's worth a look inside before buying one.

I have a Givi on my current FJR and the internal space shape is much better. The Givi I have also takes an E97 brake light kit so you have signal lights up high on the trunk. The Givi kit is incandescent.

AdMore makes a brake tail & turn signal LED lighting kit for the E55 trunk. The AdMore kit is LED. It's scary when a kit comes with a big-ass drill bit :lol:

I don't know if you ride with your wife, but I do ride with my wife so I made a simple modification to my Givi rack to give her more room. The stock Givi trunk location put the trunk at the back edge of the seat which pushed my wife too far forward. I made two bars with drilled and tapped holes which go between the metal frame and plastic trunk mount that sets the trunk back one inch. That may not sound like a lot but it really does make a big difference. You can move less if you want but one inch is about the maximum you can move the trunk without needing to shape the bar ends to fit. Simple as it is, trunk relocation bars:

The picture has 90° corners so it looks like the bar corners are sharp in the picture, but in reality I rounded the corners to help the bar fit.
wheatonFJR loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

I have personally tested the givi 357 rack with a LOADED 47 liter top box at 50 plus miles at 90 mph plus.

MANY times.

No cracks so far.

JSNS
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."

FastPappy
Veteran

Post by FastPappy »

raYzerman wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:06 am You're overthinking it a bit.... your subframe is not broken and you've noticed a crack....... so replace it with something more robust. The Givi or Shad racks will work, as will the very pricey Yamaha aluminum rack.......
Yeah I know that's my OCD kicking in again. I also have been thinking if I'm just doing day rides maybe go for the smuggler and eliminate all the bags. I just can't help myself. :lol:
Pappy 09AE
FastPappy
Veteran

Post by FastPappy »

ionbeam wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:43 am The original Yamaha 39 liter trunk may be 39 liters, but due to the internal shape it is hard to use the space unless the contents are soft and can fold. Dunno about the new Yamaha trunks but it's worth a look inside before buying one.

I have a Givi on my current FJR and the internal space shape is much better. The Givi I have also takes an E97 brake light kit so you have signal lights up high on the trunk. The Givi kit is incandescent.

AdMore makes a brake tail & turn signal LED lighting kit for the E55 trunk. The AdMore kit is LED. It's scary when a kit comes with a big-ass drill bit :lol:

I don't know if you ride with your wife, but I do ride with my wife so I made a simple modification to my Givi rack to give her more room. The stock Givi trunk location put the trunk at the back edge of the seat which pushed my wife too far forward. I made two bars with drilled and tapped holes which go between the metal frame and plastic trunk mount that sets the trunk back one inch. That may not sound like a lot but it really does make a big difference. You can move less if you want but one inch is about the maximum you can move the trunk without needing to shape the bar ends to fit. Simple as it is, trunk relocation bars:

The picture has 90° corners so it looks like the bar corners are sharp in the picture, but in reality I rounded the corners to help the bar fit.
Yes when I first installed the top case I allowed for some extra space to accommodate the back rest and the wife's riding position in the mounting plate I fabricated. You know if Momma ain't happy ain't nobody gonna be happy. Sadly she won't ride any more so that's why the thought of the smuggler creeped into my head. :roll:
Pappy 09AE
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

If you're not travelling, then you don't need much, but I think the FJR looks great with the bags on and I prefer the top box for my rain gear, extra gloves and some toolz with compressor and tire repair kit. Smuggler might hold a pair of gloves, JS. Oh yes and I have a tank bag too.
All my opinion of course, only you know what your minimum needs are for storage.
Uncle Hud and Hppants loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

It doesn't matter one lick how much storage space you have. Requirements will always be whatever you have plus About 35%
N4HHE loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

bungie4 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:10 pm It doesn't matter one lick how much storage space you have. Requirements will always be whatever you have plus About 35%
Unless you are traveling with your wife, then requirements will always be 200% or more than whatever you have.

That said, my wife used to put out everything she wanted to bring and then start removing until everything just fit. Now she brings a side case bag to the bedroom and sets out the bare essentials, then adds until the bag and part the trunk is full. Good wife. The only thing we have compromised on is her insistence that I add a tank bag which I didn't want. On long duration trips I use my new tank bag. I also add a couple of thin gym type bags that fold very small, which can be strapped on as emergency overflow because emergencies do happened. Given a little clever work, the gym bags can be put on top of the side cases or on top of the top case. Usually the gym bags come into play due to weather gear or from unexpected items acquired at EOM, CFR or other FJR event.
Uncle Hud and N4HHE loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

I find the top box to be bottomless, ironically.

That Givi design is really good.

gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Rode it to Tampa. Ended up with an unofficial unintended Saddlesore 1000 out of it. I woke up early this morning at the hotel in Hattiesburg and couldn't go back to sleep so I hit the road. I looked at the projected arrival time and realized that was 25 hours after I left. Then I realized that the arrival time is in the destination time zone, meaning it's 24 hours. 24 hours turned over just down the street from my parent's house even with me not really trying and stopping to take a video for FJRFarrier. 1131 miles during the 24 hour time frame. See, SS1000's are so easy you can do them on accident.

Wedged the bike into a garage crowded with junk and went swimming with my niece and nephew, who are the primary reason I rode down here. Fun times.
Uncle Hud, Hppants, D-Eagle and 2 others loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Hack
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by Hack »

raYzerman wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:34 pm If you're not travelling, then you don't need much, but I think the FJR looks great with the bags on and I prefer the top box for my rain gear, extra gloves and some toolz with compressor and tire repair kit. Smuggler might hold a pair of gloves, JS. Oh yes and I have a tank bag too.
All my opinion of course, only you know what your minimum needs are for storage.
I'll never learn how much to pack... I've done two trips 8000+km trips on my FJR and BOTH times I ended up mailing home half the shit I brought with me so I wouldn't have to cart it on the return leg of the journey. :oops:
wheatonFJR, gixxerjasen, and danh600 loved this