What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by Hppants »

Nice 125 mile jaunt this afternoon with two of my buddies. We hit the smooth curvy ones, and I must say, we wicked it up a bit. The ole girl is running good, man....
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

Just short of a 140 miles today with the wifey. Ran south because the rain was coming up from that way. Wanted to make sure I knew exactly where the storm line was. Down to the north side of Terra Haute on a familiar road. Then headed East a ways to some little towns along the river. We found some gravel connecting roads. No prob as they were not really loose. Came back across the state line and hit some of the better curves around here. Wifey did great as she pressed into me and looked over the inside shoulder. Good day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bugnatr, Niehart, Hppants and 5 others loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

ericboutin
FJRModel: 2004 Non ABS

Post by ericboutin »

rbentnail wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 4:56 pm
ericboutin wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:31 am
rbentnail wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:57 pm Installed FOBO tpms. Had a little trouble getting the app but the mfr helped me out with a direct link. Was a little peeved at first trying to initialize comms but so far so good. I like the little locknut they come with.
Been using FOBO for a few weeks now! You will love it!! It's awesome to be able to check right on your phone!
I got an extra set of batteries in the box. Good thing. Both sensors came on finally but both show nearly dead batteries. Maybe that's why I had such a terrible time getting them initialized. I was getting ready to throw it all in the trash.
Aww man! Sorry to hear that! That was not my experience at all! You might want to shoot off a quick email, their customer support I have heard is very good. They may try to make it right somehow. At least send you another set of replacement batteries since you had to use yours already. I synced up quickly and easily and using them is a breeze! I'm glad you got past all that, I have a 60 mile commute one way and it is very reassuring to check pressures so quickly and easily....something I must admit I wasn't very diligent about.
Uncle Hud loved this
---------------------------

Thanks Eric

IBA #77838

2004 Yamaha FJR 1300 Non ABS
1984 Honda Nighthawk CB 700S
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Well, today and yesterday I got out on the bike and cruised the rural and mountain roads in as much of a decaffeinated manner as I could possibly achieve. About 200 miles total. Not much. But important miles.

Now to get the mileage up so I can feel confident doing this 8500 mile trip in a couple months.
Waiting on parts from the slow boat to get my FJR pretty again. One of us has to look good...and I think all hope is lost for me.
Bugnatr, bigjohnsd, bungie4 and 3 others loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

Put on another piece of vinyl film on the FJR. This was the last bit bit on the roll. Ordered more film.

Siphoned out most of the fuel to lighten the gas tank in preparation for valve check, coolant change, spark plug replacement, PAIR removal and throttle body sync. The work begins Monday.
Toter
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 FJR 1300 ES "Renee", 2014 BMW R1200 GS "Sascha", 2021 BMW R1250GS Rallye, 2016 DRZ 400S (Bush Piglet)

Post by Toter »

Changed the oil and gave Renee a much needed bath the other day. Rode about 250 miles today with a buddy up to the Cherohala Skyway. What a beautiful day it was. Got passed on highway 68 on the way there by another 15 FJR. Rider had hi-viz jacket. I was wearing my blue and white mesh jacket. Wasn't in a hurry on 68 as my buddy was following me on my Road King. Wonder if that was someone from the forum? Anyway, when we got to Tellico Plains, there were bikes everywhere. Signs at the start stated that the Skyway was closed at the North Carolina state line. Must have scared a lot of people off. Not much traffic either direction. Road it both directions, no barriers or closure at NC side. 84 degrees in Tellico Plains, 68 at the top. Got a kick out of a pack of about 6 Groms that came growling by while we were sitting at the top having a water and enjoying the 68 degree breeze. It was a great day, with a good friend. I was worn out when we got back. Haven't ridden that many miles for a couple of months. Was good to sieze the day! Love this 15 ES more, every time I ride it. Life is good!
rbentnail, Niehart, and wheatonFJR loved this
I spent most of my money on guns, motorcycles, women, and whiskey. The rest I just wasted!
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

Lucky day for me. I checked the valves on the '17 and found they are all in spec. Yeah!

Learned the spark plugs from a Gen 1 and 2 do not fit a Gen 3. This means I need to go the to dealer tomorrow to get some plugs. This is good news. Had I not been inquisitive I would have blindly stuck the, too short for a '17, CR8EIX plugs in the '17. Anybody interested in a set of CR8EIX plugs? Let's make a deal.

As I dissembled the FJR I made a checklist of things to do when I reassemble it. Things like attached connectors to end of coolant tube, installed hose clamp on end of coolant tube, install gas tank overflow tube to gas tank and so forth. The checklist is so I don't forget things like I have in the past.

With rain in the forecast this week in Spokane it was a good day to be working on the FJR.
Hppants, Cav47, wheatonFJR and 1 others loved this
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

Rode it to work this morning. My new Pirelli Angel GT tires and 90 degree valve stems arrived yesterday after work. Still need to finish off the Shinkos currently on the bike but those new tires look SOOOO nice they're really tempting me to swap tires early. I'd guess I might have 1500-2000 left on the Shinkos. First world problems....
Spininprop and Hppants loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

BkerChuck wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:52 amMy new Pirelli Angel GT tires and 90 degree valve stems arrived yesterday after work. Still need to finish off the Shinkos currently on the bike but those new tires look SOOOO nice they're really tempting me to swap tires early. I'd guess I might have 1500-2000 left on the Shinkos. First world problems....
BikerChuck,

I believe that when you change to the Angel GT tires, sometime later you are gonna go back and PISS on whatever is left of the old tires.
:mrgreen:
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

The Shinkos aren't bad at all in the dry but just don't give me a warm, fuzzy feeling in the wet and I ride in all kinds of weather. I thought at first it might have been just me coming off my accident and then just 2 weeks later doing an LD rally on a new to me bike with tires I'd only had on for one tank of fuel. That was well over 5k miles ago and TBH they just haven't grown on me. Being somewhat frugal though I just can't bring myself to change them when they still have miles left in them. I won't run them to the wear bars but want to at least get them closer than what they are now. Hoping for good weather this holiday weekend and maybe knock some more life out of them before swapping.Hearing a lot of good things about the Angel GTs so anxious to try them out. My old standby the Michelin PR2 is sadly gone now. I used up 10 pairs on my 2007 and the ones that were on it at EOM when we got hit had only been on for a week. Tragic loss of a great pair of tires right there.
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Jim, use the CR8EIX. The OEM are extended tip and unobtanium last I heard. Note also the cylinder head part number has not changed (no dimensional changes), so they didn't put extended tip plugs in fer anything but Euro4 emissions......
wheatonFJR loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

Didn't see Ray's post above until now. So this morning about 8 hours ago I called the local BMW/Yamaha dealer for plugs. It went to voice mail. Why? Haven't heard back from them yet.

Called a second dealer who carries Honda, Suzuki and Polaris (UTVs) and they had plugs so off I go to get plugs. The showroom is full of UTVs, every DR Suzuki makes, both Vstroms 650/1050 one each, an Africa Twin some Honda Dual Sports, about six sport bikes and one cruiser. The UTVs are prominently displayed showroom center while bikes are around the UTV perimeter. Not a Gold Wing and Suzuki Bandit in the place. Good grief. Yet the dealership is changing with the times. Hats off to them. Oh they also had a Honda 2020 125 Super Cub ABS and in it I see my past and my future in about two seconds or less.

Gee it was nice to get out of the house even if it was just to get spark plugs. I haven't been driving my car at all.

Get back home and install the plugs. Next I try to install the valve cover. No luck as the gasket will not stay in place thanks to gravity. Bummer. Silver lining is I have a new gasket in the garage and Three Bond 1215 to install the new gasket. So I clean up the valve cover real good, let it dry, put a bead of Three Bond 1215 in place and set the gasket on the Three Bond. Perfect. Now I just have to wait a day for Three Bond 1215 to dry.

Decide to pull off the left side panel to empty the coolant reservoir. And this is what I found.

Silver lining is the coolant level was at the low mark, but not below it.

I tell ya this bike is like a box of chocolates. Yesterday I found spark plugs one range cooler in it and now this.
Cleaned up the mess. Hose clamp was not very tight. Nice and clean now. Three thermostat bolts are tight - more silver lining.
Last edited by fontanaman on Wed May 20, 2020 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
wheatonFJR, escapefjrtist, Bugnatr and 1 others loved this
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

That Super Cub gives me a stiffy. Not sold in Canada though. But I'd rather have an old CT110 with no computer shit on it.
Spininprop and fontanaman loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
escapefjrtist
Veteran
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A

Post by escapefjrtist »

So Fontanaman, for a light used 17 you certainly are finding lots of “opportunities” under the covers. At least all the valves are in spec!! ;-)

Carry on, summer trips are right around the corner!

~G
fontanaman loved this
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

ABS on a Honda Cub. Times are a changing
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

fontanaman wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:43 am ABS on a Honda Cub. Times are a changing
If i were living in a downtown metro, i wouldn't own a car. Between Uber and public transit.. that being said, a cub with some panniers would probably replace both those options. Good on Honda for realizing what the market probably needs.

What's old is once again new.
fontanaman loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
Hack
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by Hack »

Finally.. I get to say it.

'Rode it to work.
Niehart, Spininprop, rbentnail and 2 others loved this
steveg
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2013

Post by steveg »

Took an impromptu ride around NW PA. Stopped at Kinzua Bridge State Park. Lots of improvements since I was last there. About 370 miles, not bad for a Wednesday.

Pics of the viaduct that was destroyed by a tornado in 2003 (I think). There are people hiking below if you can see them. Image
Bugnatr, Hppants, and Niehart loved this
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

Quick ride west...

Things finally lined up for me to escape for some quality two wheel therapy ride yesterday. Ventured west - a RTE with designflaw06.

Left a little late, in the rain (of course). Heading directly west to outrun the rain, I escaped into dryness around the 40 mile mark. Afterburners lit, first stop was casa-de-designflaw. North from there, lunch at this place - Dog'n'Suds. Then further north, passing the Silver Lake sand dunes (Tim suggested I was on the wrong bike for the hill climb) and on to Ludington. At about that point, I realized my 2 wheel time / distance computer was severely out of calibration - I was 5+ hours from home at almost 5pm. No worries though, I have afterburners...

Other notes in the log from this ride:
  • If the bike feels abnormally "peppy" at 80, it's because it's still in 4th gear.
  • The WAZE app is works well in conjunction with a RD
  • Doing 500+ miles on the 2nd or 3rd ride of the year has consequences.
  • When riding with Tim, bring the FJR fastener sorter bin
Rolled back into the garage on the east side around 9:30p and 569 miles.

Great ride - to -eat; Tim shared some great local-to-him roads and good conversation to boot.

"excuse me ma'am - can Tim come out and ride?"

Lunch at Dogs'n'suds.

Tim waiting for me to take a picture of the sand dunes...

Picture taken while Tim patiently's waits up the road...

Tim waiting for me to fall over in the mud puddle...

Tim suggested that I was on the wrong bike for the hill climb...

Lake Michigan beach in Ludington.

Site note - Ray - Yes, Tim's bike is missing more fasteners - this is what happens when Techday gets cancelled...
Bugnatr, Hppants, Niehart and 3 others loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

DognSuds is always a good idea.

Silverlake... I was up there every summer with Louanne's family from 1983 to 2000. I recognize that little turnaround, it looks different every summer.

Awesome ride and photos!
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey