What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by fontanaman »

Hppants wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 8:13 pm Unfortunately, the Rowena Crest Viewpoint seems to be just a smidge too far west for the CFR trip. Too bad, looks real nice!!
Pants you realize i posted this pic just to put you and Josh on route overload! ;) It is really a very short but nice bit of pavement. There is better pavement and roads in NE Oregon. Today I road some of them from Briggs Junction, Condon, Nye, Heppner, Nye, County Road 20 to Hereford over Hwy 245 (ooh la la) to Baker City Oregon. Twas a grand day. Heading to Redfish Lake near Stanley Idaho on Saturday simply to give RFH a hard time. Life is grand!
Redfish, Cav47, and Hppants loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Most Excellent!! Your teaser pic definitely worked - I gave it a hard look on the map!!!

I'd enjoy a couple of pics of Redfish Lake - that one is on the list for Josh and I.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

Jim, what is the stage after overload? We are two stages beyond that stage regarding routes!

If you are so inclined, when you are over at Redfish Lake, can you scout out a good camping location? Smaller campground is good. Out of the way, with great scenery is better. Near some water that is moving is usually best.

Maybe give your aimless wandering a mission! Since you are all retired and such. Purpose to your adventure if you will! lol. Kidding, just have a great time. We will be there in about 4 1/2 weeks.
Hppants and fontanaman loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

Cav47 wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 9:36 am Jim, what is the stage after overload? We are two stages beyond that stage regarding routes!

If you are so inclined, when you are over at Redfish Lake, can you scout out a good camping location? Smaller campground is good. Out of the way, with great scenery is better. Near some water that is moving is usually best.

Maybe give your aimless wandering a mission! Since you are all retired and such. Purpose to your adventure if you will! lol. Kidding, just have a great time. We will be there in about 4 1/2 weeks.
Have button so I will push it! :D

Check out the app Park Advisor for camping places. I will get a feel for camping near Redfish Lake and post up. Please note Stanley Idaho is a popular destination in Summer.

The mission is to have fun on the first significant ride of the year.
Cav47 and Hppants loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

If you take 26/20 to 75 going to Stanley from the south, be prepared for a workout.... 75 going easterly to 93 north you'll hate too, and 93 near the MT border is just plain awful.... try to wear some of the sides off them tars, K?
Cav47 and fontanaman loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

The campground at Redfish Lake is very large, is is away away from civilization but given the size of the place civilization will be with you. It is scenic. There are multiple campgrounds along Hwy 21 in Idaho.

The Sawtooth Mountains near Stanley Idaho.

George and I at Redfish Lake near Stanley Idaho.

Good day today about 400 miles include Banks to Lowman Road to Stanley, Redfish Lake and Salmon Idaho.
Last edited by fontanaman on Sat May 19, 2018 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wheatonFJR, bigjohnsd, LKLD and 4 others loved this
Cav47
Veteran
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

Ah, yes those are the jagged peaks I remember. I did not know George was tagging along with you as well. Man you got life by the balls right now for sure.

Thanks for getting over that way.
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

fjrGear
Squid
FJRModel: 2015 FJR1300ES

Post by fjrGear »

Today I applied Loctite to my new 2015 bags. I lost a lock on my 2007, so this is a must do. No riding for me in Virginia with all this rain. Sucks!
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Jim - that's gorgeous!!! Plenty enough to tease me for a few weeks. Holy Cow, what a view.
fontanaman loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

I patted the Gray Ghost as I wheeled "Bestia de Azul" out for a nice little 150 mile run through the back roads and gravel/dirt byways of the Black Hills. Pre-Running a few of the Dual Sport/Adventure roads. Only saw snow once, I did have to drag a few trees off one road. Looking good for the Black Hills Roundup II!
fontanaman, gixxerjasen, and LKLD loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

I didn't drop it.
Uncle Hud loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by NTXFJR »

wheatonFJR wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 6:48 pm I didn't drop it.
Sounds like there's a story behind this??
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
Redfish
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014A and 2015ES

Post by Redfish »

Hppants wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 8:30 am I do understand that, Ray. But my Gen 1 was subjected to the same humidity as my Gen 3. However, I know that my Gen 3 goes through tires MUCH faster than my Gen 1 did. So, maybe it's the added heat.

My Redfish friend has been saying that I ride the Gen 3 faster than I rode the Gen 1. I'm starting to think he might be on to something....
I could almost stay with you when you had your Gen1 and I had the Honda ST1300. At least it was close enough that it was not embarrassing.

I had you when I got my '15ES and you had your Gen1. We didn't play much but I had you. I knew it was the bike, not me. I never rode as good as you.

I don't even try to follow you on your current Gen3. There are not many quicker paths to death. You are always fun to watch for those first few seconds though.
Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas all at the same time.
LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

Let's face it, the Gen III's, are currently, the pinnacle of the FJR's. With 5 speeds being the bad asses of the group.
wheatonFJR loved this
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

NTXFJR wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:42 pm
wheatonFJR wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 6:48 pm I didn't drop it.
Sounds like there's a story behind this??
Fatigue from a weekend riding trip prevents me from sharing more...it was a slippery adventurous weekend with road closures, red slimy clay on some of the "back" roads, Duane throwing grass rooster tails into the air trying to get on the pavement, going down "Green River Rd" switchbacks as an alternate because Herbert Cove Rd was washed out prolly wasn't the smartest idear. Got to go down the switchbacks, then stop in the middle of them and go back up...I did not drop my bike. Thanks to a local scofflaw, I was turned around safely. We did NC80, Del McCoury Highway, 421,133,VA80, 16, 58, 181, and a million backroads, that could be somebody's killing fields for all I know.

I did not drop the bike.
Had an awesome time.
Hppants, ericboutin, and Redfish loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

Rode it to Big Hole Battlefield National Monument and bought a National Lifetime Senior Park Pass. Big Hole is an exceptional destination.
Hppants and wheatonFJR loved this
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Today it was rainy and cool, perfect for maintenance, so I pulled the GSX-S out and put it up on the stand. Then I got out the paint brush, tooth brush, kerosene and chain wax. I proceeded to spend a significant amount of time scrubbing the goo off the chain to get it pretty and shiny, then I cleaned the goo off of the swingarm and the wheel. I then waxed the chain and cleaned up the residual wax that got on my cleaned parts. Then I got out the tools and adjusted the chain slack.

All while doing this I kept glancing over at that shaft driven beast of an FJR and sighing. I haven't missed this at all.
BkerChuck loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Cav47
Veteran
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

Today my oldest graduated from high school. His Valedictorian speech was great. I really didn’t think a ride was gonna happen today. The wife and mother in law were hanging out and wound up going for a walk. As soon as they went out the door I sent the daughter a text. “Wanna go for a quick blast?” 30 seconds later, she is in the garage ready to go.

We went no where particular. But at some point she started asking me about the “Canada trip”. Where were we goIng, who was traveling together, camping destinations, national parks and other sites on the intenery.

And then she dropped this. “When are you gonna take me out west?” Well, we spend the next hour or so throwing out some ideas. It got dark and my phone rang in my helmet interrupting our pipe dreams. It was time to do graduation cake. Whoops, we hightailed it home.

Gonna be reviewing some threads about two-up camping and no trailer. Prob will take the bike out West in the back of the truck and launch from somewhere within striking distance of Red Lodge, Yellowstone, and the Tetons. I gotta think that would immediately surpass her expectations.
Harald, ericboutin, Hppants and 4 others loved this

fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

Near Big Hole Battlefield National Monument water was high due to rain in snow melt. So we stopped at took a few pictures.

bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

Cav47 wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 10:35 pm Today my oldest graduated from high school. His Valedictorian speech was great. I really didn’t think a ride was gonna happen today. The wife and mother in law were hanging out and wound up going for a walk. As soon as they went out the door I sent the daughter a text. “Wanna go for a quick blast?” 30 seconds later, she is in the garage ready to go.

We went no where particular. But at some point she started asking me about the “Canada trip”. Where were we goIng, who was traveling together, camping destinations, national parks and other sites on the intenery.

And then she dropped this. “When are you gonna take me out west?” Well, we spend the next hour or so throwing out some ideas. It got dark and my phone rang in my helmet interrupting our pipe dreams. It was time to do graduation cake. Whoops, we hightailed it home.

Gonna be reviewing some threads about two-up camping and no trailer. Prob will take the bike out West in the back of the truck and launch from somewhere within striking distance of Red Lodge, Yellowstone, and the Tetons. I gotta think that would immediately surpass her expectations.

Parking spot available here. If your daughter is as well behaved as your son we will let her sleep inside, you can pitch a tent in the lawn!
Cav47, Hppants, and wheatonFJR loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!