What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by raYzerman »

While there is sometimes a teeny difference on the semi-circle part, not worth talking about. The procedure in the manual simply lets you check all the valves with a minimum of rotating the crankshaft, i.e., check intakes and exhaust at the same time. A small scrap piece of 2x4 will hold the fairing away from the timing cover......
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

Managed to get out for about 60 miles of two wheeled therapy today...anything is better than nothing, in December in Northeast Ohio.
bungie4, Hppants, John d and 2 others loved this
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Poor FJR has been the motorcycle I pile my gear on. It's got warm weather gear, cold weather gear, quilted liners, heated liners, gloves, helmet, all stacked on it. Then some guy posted a pic on TWTexans about checking your gear because a guy had a brown recluse spider in his gear when he put it on. EEK!

I took the GSXS for a rip yesterday and worked on the DRZ. Soon it'll be too cold for the GSXS and it'll be the gear holder. I also gave the FJR it's turn on the tender this weekend.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2024 BMW 1300 GS?, 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

raYzerman wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:33 am No fairing removal required, just a couple of screws and pull it out to access the inspection plug. Similar deal with Gen3 but there is no inspection plug, have to remove the entire right timing cover. If adjustments needed you have to remove the right timing cover anyway... but no need to remove the fairing.
Hi Ray,

I can't find the two screws and panel to allow easy access to the inspection plug. The FSM says remove the right side cowling. Here is a photo of my Gen to right side cowling and removing it is the only way I know to get to the inspection plug. The arrow shows about where the inspection plug is.

fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

Hppants wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:47 am On the Gen III, the timing cover has no "inspection plug". You have to take the cover off to turn the crank by the crank bolt. However, you don't have to remove the side fairing plastic to take the cover off. You have to remove 2 of the bolts and you can pull it out enough to get to the timing cover bolts. That was one difference from the Gen 1 that I didn't like.

Jim - that is an interesting way to ensure TDC. Of course the cam cover arrows and the dot on the cam is documented in the FSM as a way to check.

I'm from the camp that believes that entire side of each cam lobe (the side where the valves are not touching the cam) is a perfect semicircle. In other words, it should not matter where within that semi-circle you check the gap. It will be the same. Now, I don't know if I can prove it, but during the last check on my bike, for shits and giggles we checked the gap at about 3 points within that semi-circle. And then checked it using the timing marks with the cover off. At least as far as a "go/no-go" feeler gage can measure, there is absolutely no "feel-able" difference.

Now that the motor is in good shape, time for the Relay Arm service?
Hi Pants.

Thanks for the ideas. In the past I used the semi-circle concept. After setting the top dead center on cylinder #1 I checked the valves then moved the rear tire until #1 cam lobe was pointing up. On one valve 0.007 was normal feeler gauge tension at TDC while 0.007 was noticeably tighter with the cam lobe pointing up. Shucks.

Not wanting to remove the right cowling I looked down at the intake cam sitting at 2:00 o'clock and found the solution to use the edge of the cylinder head to measure cam lobe to find TDC. The solution was right under my nose so to speak.

I tried to remove the inspection plug from my DR650, which has a Allen hex, and buggered it up. The FJR has just a long slot and I have never removed the plug. My widest screw driver is about 3/8 of an inch - removal of it is kinda like "Are you feeling lucky today?"

I am going to look at the relay arm and in the process hope to remove the center stand. I want to refinish the center stand - it is looking sad.

I also will put in new rear brake pads. I have had the old ones for the life of the bike so it is time.
Hppants and wheatonFJR loved this
John d
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008A

Post by John d »

Put on a new RS3 rear and went for a ride.
El Toro Joe and wheatonFJR loved this
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by Cav47 »

And so it begins/ends as today was the last day of potential riding. I washed/dried both bikes, did some winterizing, and put them away for the winter. Will be getting to them some this winter for farkles, repair, and maintenance. It’s a tough squeeze in my garage, but neither is gonna sit in an unheated shed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Jim... sorry, Gen3 has 2 screws, Gen2 has 3... one down at the lower tail of the side fairing, remove "adjustable panel" (2 Dzus fasteners, then unclip it), which exposes the other two screws. Fairing will now flex out. I use a Canadian Loonie or Toonie to remove the inspection cap, most screwdrivers will chew up the slot. No need to crank it in real tight, it has an o-ring seal that will hold it.
Toter
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 FJR 1300 ES "Renee", 2014 BMW R1200 GS "Sascha", 2021 BMW R1250GS Rallye, 2016 DRZ 400S (Bush Piglet)

Post by Toter »

Rode to Clemson to watch my granddaughter's Basketball game. 3 hour trip each way across the North Georgia mountains. 42 degrees and windy for most of the ride over. 51-55 on the way back. Heated grips and handguards are my new best friend. This Gen 3 is really easy to ride on longer trips. Stopped at Lake Chatuge for a short break on the return trip. Rolled into home at 5:30 pm. to find this waiting for me. Neighbors came by and cleared the drive in about a half hour. They are gems. My day is now planned for tomorrow.
ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

LKLD, Uncle Hud, Hppants and 2 others loved this
I spent most of my money on guns, motorcycles, women, and whiskey. The rest I just wasted!
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Nfa1eab - perhaps I missed it (or more likely forgot it), but where in Georgia do you live?

That's a great picture of what I presume is your granddaughter - nice keepsake.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Toter
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 FJR 1300 ES "Renee", 2014 BMW R1200 GS "Sascha", 2021 BMW R1250GS Rallye, 2016 DRZ 400S (Bush Piglet)

Post by Toter »

Pants,

I live about 6 miles west of Jasper. Takes me about 45 min. to get to Blue Ridge. The ride was great once I got over to Blairsville. Only bad thing was the pavement in the turns had asphalt repairs. The entire road was covered, but the pavement was uneven and rutted a bit, so your tires wiggled around during the turns. Definitely slowed me down a down bit as it was a little unsettling. But great scenery. Unfortunately, you can't take in serious camera equipment to a NCAA Div 1 game, unless you have press credentials. I used to sit on the baseline during high school games. Pretty exciting seeing her on tv. #2 Sticker....Go Stick!!

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Hppants loved this
I spent most of my money on guns, motorcycles, women, and whiskey. The rest I just wasted!
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

raYzerman wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:47 pm Jim... sorry, Gen3 has 2 screws, Gen2 has 3... one down at the lower tail of the side fairing, remove "adjustable panel" (2 Dzus fasteners, then unclip it), which exposes the other two screws. Fairing will now flex out. I use a Canadian Loonie or Toonie to remove the inspection cap, most screwdrivers will chew up the slot. No need to crank it in real tight, it has an o-ring seal that will hold it.
Ray you killin' me. You sell your FJR and buy a great bike no longer produced and never available in the US. Then ya tell me I need tools not readily available in the US to remove the inspection plug on the FJR.

Happy Holidays!
wheatonFJR loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

fontanaman wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:33 pm
raYzerman wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:47 pm Jim... sorry, Gen3 has 2 screws, Gen2 has 3... one down at the lower tail of the side fairing, remove "adjustable panel" (2 Dzus fasteners, then unclip it), which exposes the other two screws. Fairing will now flex out. I use a Canadian Loonie or Toonie to remove the inspection cap, most screwdrivers will chew up the slot. No need to crank it in real tight, it has an o-ring seal that will hold it.
Ray you killin' me. You sell your FJR and buy a great bike no longer produced and never available in the US. Then ya tell me I need tools not readily available in the US to remove the inspection plug on the FJR.

Happy Holidays!
The good news is the tools are available to you at a real discount, and I'll tellya soon about the bike I'm getting that was available in the US....
escapefjrtist and fontanaman loved this
BikerGeek
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004

Post by BikerGeek »

Jeebus... Been a bit busy and haven't poked my head in here in a while only to find oot Ray sold his FJR.

Cripe.

What next? Is Bust gonna sell his FJR, too, just to be like Ray??
CollingsBob, El Toro Joe, and wheatonFJR loved this
"Having THIS bunch of guys paying attention to you is like being the world's tallest midget."
- 0face
LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

BikerGeek wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:42 pm Jeebus... Been a bit busy and haven't poked my head in here in a while only to find oot Ray sold his FJR.

Cripe.

Doubtful, that would mean giving up sheep too.
CollingsBob and wheatonFJR loved this
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

LKLD wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:03 pm
BikerGeek wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:42 pm Jeebus... Been a bit busy and haven't poked my head in here in a while only to find oot Ray sold his FJR.

Cripe.

Doubtful, that would mean giving up sheep too.
Are you implying I'm giving up sheep? Bust and I are good, we don't kiss and tell, Dolly was good to us, yet we still hang out with y'all.
Haven't talked to Bust in the last few days, is he selling his FJR too? Spill, Andy.
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

Washed it after 8236 wonderful kilometers in Australia!
Uncle Hud, El Toro Joe, and Hppants loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
Hack
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by Hack »

'Bought my FJR a gift... Arrived today from the UK.

wheatonFJR loved this
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Someone is playing with his head.
wheatonFJR loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

Spininprop wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:00 amBeen assembling an electronics bench to get back into working on audio equipment. Yep the dollars add up for the right equipment. Fun is never cheap.
P.s. if anyone has an HP 8903b and or HP8656b available pm me... :>)
Spininprop,

Been gone a few days, so I just saw this post. My job needed some unique (scarce) old test gear, and I got on the Internet looking for that Part Number. New was not possible, but Used/Refurbished came up with three for sale in one shop. Two had shop warranties, and one was a junker, for parts. Bought all three; management thought I was a magician. One passed calibration; one did not, until they raided the junker for the needed boards. These three boxes together cost less for us than what one would have cost, when new.

You can also search all of eBay, and maybe eBay Canada, and eBay UK. To search all of Craigslist:

https://www.searchtempest.com
:geek:
Spininprop loved this
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.