What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by gixxerjasen »

fontanaman wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:15 am The temps on Saturday will be in the mid 70's so that isn't too bad.
I hate you. Getting our first official hundred degree day tomorrow in the DFW area.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

danh600 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:52 pm I do not recommend I95 in South Florida even in a cage.
I'll help you... I95 is no good anywhere.
Festus and wheatonFJR loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

raYzerman wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:54 am
danh600 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:52 pm I do not recommend I95 in South Florida even in a cage.
I'll help you... I95 is no good anywhere.
I'll sometimes take the I-95 from Houlton ME to Bangor ME but only when it is all about getting there faster. Except for right around Bangor, it is mostly empty and in good shape. Exceptionally boring road with 2 lanes in each direction and a 75 MPH speed limit for most of it (80-85 MPH, in practice) so you don't spend a lot of time on it. I have taken it as far south as Boston but would not choose to do that again unless absolutely necessary. The worst LONG distance bit I have done on an interstate is about 300 miles of I-40 between Nashville and Little Rock. More trucks than cars, busy as hell and moving fast (in 100° weather). Spent an additional couple of hours just before Arkansas creeping along because of a traffic accident a few miles ahead - dehydrated and exhausted before I could get off the highway.
Uncle Hud loved this
HotRodZilla
Veteran
FJRModel: 07 FJR-A

Post by HotRodZilla »

gixxerjasen wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:56 am
fontanaman wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:15 am The temps on Saturday will be in the mid 70's so that isn't too bad.
I hate you. Getting our first official hundred degree day tomorrow in the DFW area.
It was 102 here yesterday. It has been hovering around 100+/- for the last couple of weeks. My buddy and I were talking yesterday that it's too hot to ride dirtbikes. Even our elevated mountain trails are in the 90s, which is just too dammed hot.
gixxerjasen loved this
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

It was 79° at Old Faithful today. I damn near melted. 😁

Today I rode the FJR from Red Lodge over Beartooth Pass with wonderfully scenic mountains, the sun at my back enhanced the photo oops. Onward to Yellowstone.

Plenty of buffalo photo ops in Lamar Valley today with minimal traffic. Locals say tourism is down this year and I believe it. Great time to visit Jellystone.

Went to Old Faithful, walked a loop trail in the geyser area, watched Old Faithful erupt then headed to West Yellowstone for the night.

Great day, lots of smiles, low miles. Retirement is grand.
Redfish, Toter, Niehart and 4 others loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Left at daybreak, 80 degrees, 80% humidity. About 3 hours and 150 miles was all I could take. By then it was well north of 90 and I was cooking.

July/August/September, this is one miserable place, man ...
Toter and Cav47 loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

LongRanger
Squid
FJRModel: '99ST1100

Post by LongRanger »

Twice I've ridden up I-95 from Georgia to Richmond, VA and tucked in behind cars that hammered 90 to 105. Normally I can't get away with this in Virginia but somehow those two did and I was lucky to tag along. One was from New Jersey, the other Virginia. And so little traffic that it was like Christmas day, very few vehicles of any type. It was like riding in Europe, fast, smooth and no worries.
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

Rode it to work this morning. My tire changer that was supposed to arrive on Saturday was finally delivered at 8:00pm last night. I'd hoped to spend my Sunday assembling and determining mounting spot in my garage but that'll have to happen now one night this week. What really sucks is that Fed-Ed distribution center is only 1 mile from my house!
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Sorry to hear that Chuck, but this Covid thing has all the mail and delivery services in "every day is Christmas rush" mode. They're busy as hell, many warn of possible delays... can't count on firm delivery dates these days. I had a UPS delivery scheduled for a particular day (I'm rural), had the tracking down to "Out for delivery" usually meaning I'd see it that day... well, they have routes and if they run out of time that day, they either keep it on the truck for tomorrow or return it to the depot hoping for a different truck to get it to you (routes sometimes overlap). I saw it two days after it was "out for delivery". Shit happens.
I sent a package by Priority Mail to Vancouver BC, delivery expectation was 5 days... that was two weeks ago, it was delivered yesterday, ha ha.
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

Rode it to work the past few days.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

Washed it. Those Wyoming bugs are nasty.
gixxerjasen and wheatonFJR loved this
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

Rode it over Blood Mountain and through Richard Russell Scenic Raceway. Sena decided to stop participating as I was leaving walasi-yi. Nothing would bring it back. Mental note- put a paper clip in the bike for Sena hard resets.

Passed an fjr rider, no top case, no bags, wearing jeans, southbound on 400. Didn't note the year of the bike.
Toter and wheatonFJR loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

Took the day off and ride 240 miles up to the cabin on the FJR.
Long weekends are nice.
Couple hundred miles on the MT09 in the morning
Then back home on the FJR Sunday.
rbentnail, Bugnatr, YummYam and 2 others loved this
YummYam
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2007 AE - 1960 Matchless G3 - 1974 Mk ll 850 Commando-1999 Triumph Thunderbird Sport

Post by YummYam »

Wow Dan!! How the other half live eh? Lol. I’m envious.

😆 Glad you can enjoy the moments.
danh600 and LKLD loved this
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

I removed the RAM mount from the clutch lever bracket. I intended on putting my cell phone there but was concerned about damaging the camera due to vibration. I follow the Biker Bits channel on YouTube. This week I watched a recent episode, where Mark the host, discussed phone camera problems at 21:50 with several phones he has used. He rides a DR650 and mostly off bitumen (pavement in Austrilian). He asked for comments from the crew.

Quite a few people responded saying vibration from putting any phone in a cradle on a bike will ruin the image stabilization on the camera in no time. The usual "fix" is to have a cheap phone or one you don't care about in the cradle.

I have a Garmin 590 so I choose to avoid the broken phone camera problem all together by leaving my phone in the tank bag in a pouch. I don't want take the risk even if I am on pavement. Sometimes the pavement is pretty busted up or potholed and I bet most phone were not designed for high shock and vibration environments.
danh600 loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Left the house at 7 am. Got in about 200 miles with two buddies, home before noon.

Soaked the t-shirt and until about 10:30 am, it wasn’t too bad. Until October, this Type of ride will have to do ...
Redfish and Niehart loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

Warning :geek: below:

Hardening electronics for the types of vibrations on a motorcycle is difficult, especially something like a cell phone where they cram 250% of the electronics into only 100% of the available space. In a testing laboratory it's surprising the kind of vibrations that are the real killers. Big shocks like a pot hole don't always have the same destructive energy as small, fast vibrations. If you have a cell phone on your bike you want to be sure that the camera(s) are turned off, especially if the camera has image stabilization.

Your phone would be best served if there is something resilient between the phone body and the clamping device. Even better is to have both the phone mount and the handlebar/frame mount with something resilient to isolate vibrations. It usually isn't the BAM of a pot hole that gets to the electronics, it is vibrations at higher repetitive frequencies compounded by heat. When I have accelerated life tests performed on electronics it is almost always done on a vibration table in an oven at slightly elevated temperatures to quickly induce failures.

There are a number of shock and vibration standards a cell phone could be tested to such as:

MIL STD 810
RCTA DO 160
DEF STAN 00-35
DEF STAN 07-55
DEF STAN 08-123
BS 3G100
BS EN 60068
EN 60945

If a phone has been tested to any of these standards it will be proudly proclaimed in the user information that comes with the phone and in any ad copy. The most likely standard you would find is MIL-810, a lot of newer LG phones claim to meet this testing standard. Some cell phone cases will also claim to make a phone meet the MIL-810 standard. Not that a company selling something would lie to you be deceptive in their promotion, but most phones and cases that claim MIL-810 don't actually meet the standard with the items generally for sale. Maybe a few phones/cases sent for testing would meet the standard but the general production items don't. If the stated shock and vibration standard also comes with the name of a testing agency such as:

TUV
CSA
Bureau Veritas
Intertek

then the general sales items will indeed meet the claimed specification. These agencies perform an on-site inspection of the manufacturer 2 to 4 times a year to verify that the items are manufactured identical to the samples submitted for certification. Any deviation results in a 'finding'. Findings can be minor which allows continued manufacturing as the issue is fixed or the finding can be major which results in the immediate stoppage of manufacturing and freezing shipments of any finished goods.
Cav47 and fontanaman loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Washed the last bit of Warwoman red clay off of my engine guard in preparation for remounting the guards. I have to order some spring clips and screws and should have it all zipped up. About passed out from dehydration when I stood up in the garage. With the fan on high for comfort, that stuff sneaks up on you.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Well there goes the hope of using a phone for GPS unless you have the right one......
rbentnail, Cav47, and fontanaman loved this
Toter
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 FJR 1300 ES "Renee", 2014 BMW R1200 GS "Sascha", 2021 BMW R1250GS Rallye, 2016 DRZ 400S (Bush Piglet)

Post by Toter »

Spent the day on Renee. Early breakfast and headed up through Blue Ridge and McCaysville and took 68 up to Tellico Plains. Rode the Cherohala Skyway both directions. About 84 in Tellico Plains and 74 at the highest elevation with a nice breeze. Good place for a break and some talk with a couple on a new HD Limited. As I got back to the beginning of the Skyway in Tellico I passed a line of about 50 jeeps all headed up the Skyway, behind them about 20 small sports cars. Perfect timing. I pretty much had the Cherohala to myself. Quick lunch at the Tellico Cafe and back to the farm. About 240 miles. Nice day, just Renee and I. Good for the soul.
Redfish, gixxerjasen, LKLD and 1 others loved this
I spent most of my money on guns, motorcycles, women, and whiskey. The rest I just wasted!