What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by FJRoss »

Prestone wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:34 pm Leaking and it's non serviceable. 38k 16 es. There has been a few reports but not many. I'm going to try and get the old shock back
According to Partzilla fiche, the whole thing has to be bought as a unit for $2642. Shock not sold separately.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamah ... suspension

Wouldn't want to do that very often!
Prestone
FJRModel: 2016

Post by Prestone »

Good thing I bought a extended warrenty
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

My warranty repair took a long time but didn’t cost me anything except months of riding (due to a backorder like you’re experiencing). I’m interested to see if Yamaha has modified their service script to just replace the tps when it’s bad instead of the whole assembly like they did on mine. Sounds like the shock assembly might be similar.
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

Road my 09 a few miles to shakedown new front brakes. Leaving for CFR on Thursday with my lovely bride. This will be her first FJR rally.
FJRPittsburgh, escapefjrtist, wheatonFJR and 1 others loved this
escapefjrtist
Veteran
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A

Post by escapefjrtist »

Prestone wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:34 pm Leaking and it's non serviceable. 38k 16 es. There has been a few reports but not many. I'm going to try and get the old shock back
First report of this...dealer or suspension house can't refresh, that's not good. Any more information you can provide Prestone?

~G
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere
Prestone

Post by Prestone »

escapefjrtist wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:22 pm
First report of this...dealer or suspension house can't refresh, that's not good. Any more information you can provide Prestone?

~G

I was going to make a thread about it but then I came across this. It matched up with mine identically.

http://www.fjrowners.com/forums/9-fjr-t ... pics/58370

Hopefully this fjrowners thread is the info your looking for. Here is a few pictures

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AnJmVgSGGBwjmGQQYbsFhJhi5V_F
griff
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 ES

Post by griff »

Prestone - Are you still riding this ES while waiting for the new shock? Hope it doesn't take long to get the new one. Man - I've got 111K and nuttin has gone wrong yet.
griff
Veteran

Post by griff »

Good luck on getting the old shock back. I'll bet Yama Mama will want to take a look at that. Maybe non serviceable by Yamaha, but I would bet one of the good suspension shops could rebuild it.
raYzerman and wheatonFJR loved this
Prestone

Post by Prestone »

I figured getting the old shock back would be a long shot but never hurts to ask. My plan was to have traxxion dynamics look at it if I could get it back. I dropped the bike off at Yamaha and told them to call me when it's done. Didn't want to chance getting oil on the rear tire. Said it would be 2 weeks to 2 months.

After 111k on the original shock that thing has to be tired. Do you notice any difference from new?
griff
Veteran

Post by griff »

Prestone wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:29 am I figured getting the old shock back would be a long shot but never hurts to ask. My plan was to have traxxion dynamics look at it if I could get it back. I dropped the bike off at Yamaha and told them to call me when it's done. Didn't want to chance getting oil on the rear tire. Said it would be 2 weeks to 2 months.

After 111k on the original shock that thing has to be tired. Do you notice any difference from new?
The way I ride? Haha, I don't seem to see any difference, just adjust preload and compression to what seems right. I have asked Haulin Ashe if Cogent Dynamics in Asheville has done anything with an ES shock - nope. Traxxion Dynamics would be a good bet also.
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by NTXFJR »

griff wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:41 am
Prestone wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:29 am I figured getting the old shock back would be a long shot but never hurts to ask. My plan was to have traxxion dynamics look at it if I could get it back. I dropped the bike off at Yamaha and told them to call me when it's done. Didn't want to chance getting oil on the rear tire. Said it would be 2 weeks to 2 months.

The way I ride? Haha, I don't seem to see any difference, just adjust preload and compression to what seems right. I have asked Haulin Ashe if Cogent Dynamics in Asheville has done anything with an ES shock - nope. Traxxion Dynamics would be a good bet also.
I've ridden with Griff before and he rides very well, so well in fact that he wears his tires out almost as quickly as OFace or Wheatie....
Prestone loved this
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Put the new rear takeoff on the bike, and checked the front...CRAP. Took off the front and put a takeoff on that as well...Will put it on the bike tonight after the air conditioned square dance this afternoon. Lowest mileage ever on the front and rear. I guess 37f, 40r is bad for tire life. I'm going to double check suspension on this next ride...if it's as bad as the last two up ride, ima gonna be having suspensions redone in December/January.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

NTXFJR wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:59 am

I've ridden with Griff before and he rides very well, so well in fact that he wears his tires out almost as quickly as OFace or Wheatie....
Griff's a good rider no doubt, but I use more engine braking than he does...so he gets more $$ out of his tires than I do. Feck!
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by NTXFJR »

wheatonFJR wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:05 pm
NTXFJR wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:59 am

Griff's a good rider no doubt, but I use more engine braking than he does...so he gets more $$ out of his tires than I do. Feck!
Yeah, us old farts can be cheap bastages, eh? :D
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
BruinFJRguy
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2015 FJR 1300 A

Post by BruinFJRguy »

Took off the stock foam I reinstalled two days ago. Reinstalled the Seat Concepts and finally installed the pillion cover. Looks sharp. SC isn't perfect, but I'm relatively sure I prefer it to stock.
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2024 BMW R1300 GS

Post by CollingsBob »

Pulled rear wheel off for new tire installation...while having toast large filling in a tooth fell out. Oh, so THIS is the exciting day I knew was going to happen..

Update..the new Pirelli Angel GT didn’t arrive ( thanks Purolator..), I found a new old stock Michelin PR2, had it installed, spent some time at the dentist and got a new filling installed as well..

Monday night..ready for final packing and departure tomorrow morning. This one has been like extracting a horses tooth through its asshole.
Last edited by CollingsBob on Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

Washed the bike, and took the wheels off yesterday, so I can get the new tires mounted tomorrow.
FJRPittsburgh loved this
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

CollingsBob wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:51 am Pulled rear wheel off for new tire installation...while having toast large filling in tooth fell out. Oh, so THIS is the exciting day I knew was going to happen..
TOO much fiber.
silverback
Veteran
FJRModel: 2005

Post by silverback »

Rode it to work today.

A week and a half ago a rouge doe decided to kamakaze my older Durango, so it went to the body shop today and the girlfriend is driving the newer (yet still old...) Durango. Ergo, I get to ride to work again until the body work is done or it's totaled and we replace it somehow.

Oh. And it's national "Take your life in the hands of someone who is texting, putting on makeup, snapchatting and 47 other things more important than driving...day"
There's just too much what the f@$k in this thread to know where to begin...
--BikerGeek
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

silverback wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:35 am Oh. And it's national "Take your life in the hands of someone who is texting, putting on makeup, snapchatting and 47 other things more important than driving...day"
Yup. Feck that shit. I rode through town on a beautiful Sunday evening last night. So many Morans with no Ragrets. Throw in the worlds most damaged municipal roads where you can feel every bolt, joint and seam just rattling your bike to pieces and no. I refuse to ride to work. Hell, I don't even want to take my truck. But at least in the truck the Morans with no Ragrets bounce off.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.