What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by raYzerman »

0face wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:53 am Put new tires on, forgot to balance the front, took it off again, balanced it, and reinstalled... At least my tires are facing the right direction.... I think.
Heaven forbid any of us haven't put a tire on backwards or forgot to balance it, 'specially us old retarded guys, LOL. Of course, sometimes you only find out after the whole bike has been buttoned back up.... oops.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

NTXFJR wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:31 pm I got greedy and am looking at knocking out the rest of the lower 48 this time around. We shall see.
Want to share a Spotwalla link?
NTXFJR and wheatonFJR loved this
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by NTXFJR »

Uncle Hud wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:20 pm
NTXFJR wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:31 pm I got greedy and am looking at knocking out the rest of the lower 48 this time around. We shall see.
Want to share a Spotwalla link?
Trip goes live Friday morning. I'll be heading up through Colorado on the way to Washington, then cut across to Maine. I'll post up a lurk link before then.
gixxerjasen and wheatonFJR loved this
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
ericboutin
FJRModel: 2004 Non ABS

Post by ericboutin »

Rode her to work probably for the last time this week. Dumb swing shift starts Saturday and I'm getting old and just to dang sleepy to ride 60 miles home after 12 hour 3rd shift! Luckily we change every 2 weeks so I'll be back riding her to work when 1st shift rolls back around. Gonna miss it for sure!
wheatonFJR loved this
---------------------------

Thanks Eric

IBA #77838

2004 Yamaha FJR 1300 Non ABS
1984 Honda Nighthawk CB 700S
Spininprop
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022ES
Traded 2016A
Sold 2013 GSX-R1000
Sold 2003 GSX-R1000
Sold 2000 Bandit 600

Post by Spininprop »

Rode it to work dispite the threat of thunderstorms. I just didnt feel like driving the car.
BkerChuck loved this
IBA# 84110
2022 FJR1300ES
2016 FJR1300A Traded
2013 GSX-R1000 Traded
2003 GSX-R1000 Sold
2000 Bandit 600 Traded
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

At work, in the parking lot.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

Quick ride in Northern Michigan. Image

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

El Toro Joe, bill lumberg, jwilly and 2 others loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

Removed my wynpro Bigfoot. I love it, but it kept scraping today. I don’t know why. Check the photo and you might be able to tell where we were. Image
CollingsBob, jwilly, and wheatonFJR loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2024 BMW R1300 GS

Post by CollingsBob »

This week I rode to Thunder Bay and back (1500km...) ..9hrs to get there ( greater distance, slower speed limits) 8 hrs to get back (shorter distance,faster speed limits).Today I ordered a new tank bag (SW-MOTECH EVO Trial QUICK-LOCK Tank Bag | 15-22L) to replace my aging, worn out TourMaster magnetic tank bag. One month until I ride to B.C..
bungie4, bill lumberg, and wheatonFJR loved this
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

CollingsBob wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:52 pm This week I rode to Thunder Bay and back (1500km...) ..9hrs to get there ( greater distance, slower speed limits) 8 hrs to get back (shorter distance,faster speed limits).Today I ordered a new tank bag (SW-MOTECH EVO Trial QUICK-LOCK Tank Bag | 15-22L) to replace my aging, worn out TourMaster magnetic tank bag. One month until I ride to B.C..
Hwy 17 one way and #11/71 the other? Or did you go through the USA? Most of that stretch from Thunder Bay to Kenora is AWFUL on the 17; especially with 90 km/hr speed limits (56 mph). I did Wawa through Thunder Bay to Winnipeg in a day on the 17. I have the speeding ticket to prove that the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) are serious about their speed limits. (1st speeding ticket ever that I wasn't able to talk my way out of).

Post up your planned route to (and through) BC.
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

bill lumberg wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:51 pmRemoved my wynpro Bigfoot. I love it, but it kept scraping today. I don’t know why. Check the photo and you might be able to tell where we were. Image
Bill,

Going by the photo, I'm guessing . . . Australia?
;)
Redfish, John d, Uncle Hud and 3 others loved this
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

CollingsBob wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:52 pm ...I ordered a new tank bag (SW-MOTECH EVO Trial QUICK-LOCK Tank Bag | 15-22L)...

Last fall I bought essentially the same tank bag. Putting the ring clamp on the gas tank was straight forward. My bag asked for the user to set the bag on the tank and figure out where the bag ring should be attached. The bag came with a drill template (and drill bit) to use to drill mounting holes for the bag clamp. My stand type drill press made it an easy task. Between the steep slope at the rear of the bag and the size of the block that the bag ring attached to it didn't look like the bag would hold much. It's deceptive, with a little sorting out of what goes in the slopped part of the bag and what goes in the main part and the side pockets it held a lot, and then there is the pop-up top. Even with the pop-up extended it didn't interfere with me or with the handlebars at full lock with bark busters, radar detector and GPS mounts. Some tank bags will honk the horn at full lock. The bag is indeed easy to use at gas stops and is still fairly easy to use even with the rain cover on.

My tank bag has a metal cable for the lock ring release, there is a retainer snap to hold it out of the way. I added a clear paint protector sheet (3m) to prevent scratching. The end of the tank bag closest to the rider stays just above the tank but I also have a Yamaha tank protector under the bag too.

I road tested the rain cover in hurricane Florence on our way to EOM and in 3 days of pounding rain coming home and the rain cover kept the bag 100% dry. I only use the bag for extended trips but I'm happy with the bag and I keep finding little useful things to put in the bag.

What I did to my FJR: Last week I adjusted my '15 handlebars to be more forward. It was a bigger PITA than I expected. During last week I discovered that with the bars moved forward my radar detector, the GPS and my HANDS hit the windshield (Yamaha touring shield) at full lock. To get my bike turned around and backed into my garage I have to turn my bars lock to lock. So, today I put the bars back to the stock position and it was a bigger PITA than expected. Over the years I have done significant damage to my arms, elbows and wrists requiring major orthopedic intervention. With the bars forward it was an unexpected and exceedingly painful experience that wouldn't bother most people. Unfortunately the Lenker-Adapters couldn't move from my Gen I to my Gen III so they are now living in North Carolina and I'm living with the OEM bar location until I get ambitious enough to change the whole mounting plate.
CollingsBob, wheatonFJR, and bill lumberg loved this
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

I love my tank bag, and I love my dash. But I didn’t put either on the new bike. Just too tired of always dealing with either bar or windshield clearance issues. Between watching for bar interference in parking lots and always watching the dash to make sure something hadn’t migrated to where it would mar a lowered shield, the bike was like a fiat 500 with two Mama June’s in it.
ionbeam wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:47 pm
CollingsBob wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:52 pm ...I ordered a new tank bag (SW-MOTECH EVO Trial QUICK-LOCK Tank Bag | 15-22L)...

Last fall I bought essentially the same tank bag. Putting the ring clamp on the gas tank was straight forward. My bag asked for the user to set the bag on the tank and figure out where the bag ring should be attached. The bag came with a drill template (and drill bit) to use to drill mounting holes for the bag clamp. My stand type drill press made it an easy task. Between the steep slope at the rear of the bag and the size of the block that the bag ring attached to it didn't look like the bag would hold much. It's deceptive, with a little sorting out of what goes in the slopped part of the bag and what goes in the main part and the side pockets it held a lot, and then there is the pop-up top. Even with the pop-up extended it didn't interfere with me or with the handlebars at full lock with bark busters, radar detector and GPS mounts. Some tank bags will honk the horn at full lock. The bag is indeed easy to use at gas stops and is still fairly easy to use even with the rain cover on.

My tank bag has a metal cable for the lock ring release, there is a retainer snap to hold it out of the way. I added a clear paint protector sheet (3m) to prevent scratching. The end of the tank bag closest to the rider stays just above the tank but I also have a Yamaha tank protector under the bag too.

I road tested the rain cover in hurricane Florence on our way to EOM and in 3 days of pounding rain coming home and the rain cover kept the bag 100% dry. I only use the bag for extended trips but I'm happy with the bag and I keep finding little useful things to put in the bag.

What I did to my FJR: Last week I adjusted my '15 handlebars to be more forward. It was a bigger PITA than I expected. During last week I discovered that with the bars moved forward my radar detector, the GPS and my HANDS hit the windshield (Yamaha touring shield) at full lock. To get my bike turned around and backed into my garage I have to turn my bars lock to lock. So, today I put the bars back to the stock position and it was a bigger PITA than expected. Over the years I have done significant damage to my arms, elbows and wrists requiring major orthopedic intervention. With the bars forward it was an unexpected and exceedingly painful experience that wouldn't bother most people. Unfortunately the Lenker-Adapters couldn't move from my Gen I to my Gen III so they are now living in North Carolina and I'm living with the OEM bar location until I get ambitious enough to change the whole mounting plate.
CollingsBob loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2024 BMW R1300 GS

Post by CollingsBob »

FJRoss wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:11 pm
CollingsBob wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:52 pm This week I rode to Thunder Bay and back (1500km...) ..9hrs to get there ( greater distance, slower speed limits) 8 hrs to get back (shorter distance,faster speed limits).Today I ordered a new tank bag (SW-MOTECH EVO Trial QUICK-LOCK Tank Bag | 15-22L) to replace my aging, worn out TourMaster magnetic tank bag. One month until I ride to B.C..
Hwy 17 one way and #11/71 the other? Or did you go through the USA? Most of that stretch from Thunder Bay to Kenora is AWFUL on the 17; especially with 90 km/hr speed limits (56 mph). I did Wawa through Thunder Bay to Winnipeg in a day on the 17. I have the speeding ticket to prove that the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) are serious about their speed limits. (1st speeding ticket ever that I wasn't able to talk my way out of).

I took 11/71 there..and 17 on the way back. I kept it under 110 on the way back, no tickets..

Leaving Winnipeg on the 5th..Moose Jaw, Lethbridge, Crowsnest Pass, Creston, Kootenay Bay, Kaslo, Nakusp, Vernon, Merritt, Spences Bridge, Lytton, Spuzzum, Agassiz, Mission, Abbotsford, Langley..The return trip is Langley, Castlegar, Kootenay Pass, Creston, Crowsnest, Lethbridge, Winnipeg..Twisty on the way there, taking 5 days to go..4 days to come back home. I’ll post a spotwalla.
Last edited by CollingsBob on Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Looks like fun Bob.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

CollingsBob wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:22 pm
FJRoss wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:11 pm

I took 11/71 there..and 17 on the way back. I kept it under 110 on the way back, no tickets, no

Leaving Winnipeg on the 5th..Moose Jaw, Lethbridge, Crowsnest Pass, Creston, Kootenay Bay, Kaslo, Nakusp, Vernon, Merritt, Spences Bridge, Lytton, Spuzzum, Agassiz, Mission, Abbotsford, Langley..The return trip is Langley, Castlegar, Kootenay Pass, Creston, Crowsnest, Lethbridge, Winnipeg..Twisty on the way there, taking 5 days to go..4 days to come back home. I’ll post a spotwalla.
Nice route. Lots of great roads. You decided to skip Kootenay NP, Banff and Jasper? BC is big and its really hard to do it all, even if you had a month, but Jasper is magnificent (if you get decent weather). I'll check out your Spot once you post the link!
wheatonFJR loved this
jwilly
Site Admin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by jwilly »

This was yesterday, there were a couple hooligans on the Dragon.

Bill Lumberg was leading and showing me how to properly ride the Dragon without getting arrested, who knew this was possible?

Redfish, El Toro Joe, LKLD and 2 others loved this
I’d be more than happy to swear under oath that having watched you ride for many, many miles, there is no way in hell you could be speeding through those curves. -0face
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

Found this about a half mile past BFE Michigan...Image

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

bill lumberg, CollingsBob, wheatonFJR and 1 others loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
Spininprop
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022ES
Traded 2016A
Sold 2013 GSX-R1000
Sold 2003 GSX-R1000
Sold 2000 Bandit 600

Post by Spininprop »

Off to work in the rain. Not feeling like driving the car this week.
IBA# 84110
2022 FJR1300ES
2016 FJR1300A Traded
2013 GSX-R1000 Traded
2003 GSX-R1000 Sold
2000 Bandit 600 Traded
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »