What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
Blueridgerider
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by Blueridgerider »

Got my 2016 back from surgery aka Recalls. Took it up to Asheville an hour away as I would never let those quacks 2 minutes from my house touch my bike. All went well and impressed with their service and professionalism. Interesting as I have read in other posts, shifts the same but seems smoother as in less vibration in the grips than before. Easy to be fooled by the ole placebo effect but in this case I don't think so. Glad to have it back, changing the brake fluid and she will be ready to rock for 2021.
D-Eagle and Toter loved this
2016 FJR1300A Traxxionized
2017 Kawasaki Z900
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

ionbeam wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:54 am ...motor-vated me to go check the battery in my FJR. 4.8 volts Image ...Optimate claims my charger can raise the dead, we will see :zombwobb:
Well, the results are kinda ambiguous. During the charging process in my unheated garage the temperature has varied between 0°F and 24°F. It looks like my battery wants to sit at 12.48 volts. I let the battery sit for ~30 minutes after removing the charger and then measured the voltage. The good news is that it continues to maintain that voltage over 24 hours in spite of the small quiescent current draw from the ECU. The charger didn't go into the desulfate mode and trickle charged the battery. Wish I could get a battery hydrometer on it to measure the specific gravity of the electrolyte.
N4HHE loved this
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

ionbeam wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:39 pm
ionbeam wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:54 am ...motor-vated me to go check the battery in my FJR. 4.8 volts Image ...Optimate claims my charger can raise the dead, we will see :zombwobb:
Well, the results are kinda ambiguous. During the charging process in my unheated garage the temperature has varied between 0°F and 24°F. It looks like my battery wants to sit at 12.48 volts...
Load test...
bigjohnsd and wheatonFJR loved this
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran

Post by ionbeam »

FJRoss wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:33 pm Load test...
ionbeam wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:39 pm ...in my unheated garage the temperature has varied between 0°F and 24°F...

Some day when it's at least 50° I'll charge the battery again and do a load test.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

ionbeam wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:16 pm
FJRoss wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:33 pm Load test...
ionbeam wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:39 pm ...in my unheated garage the temperature has varied between 0°F and 24°F...

Some day when it's at least 50° I'll charge the battery again and do a load test.
Get Helen to do it.
Uncle Hud loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

I road my FJR to Palouse Falls yesterday. Five in half hours 225 miles. Nice day.

I call this photo Miss April. :D (hint look at the April photo of your Rider Calendar - this is a shameless plug to support the forum!) PS this photo was taken yesterday.

I went to the Falls too. It is a 2 mile gravel road detour off the main road.

Last edited by fontanaman on Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bungie4, Hppants, Full House and 5 others loved this
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

ionbeam wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:39 pm Well, the results are kinda ambiguous. During the charging process in my unheated garage the temperature has varied between 0°F and 24°F. It looks like my battery wants to sit at 12.48 volts. I let the battery sit for ~30 minutes after removing the charger and then measured the voltage. The good news is that it continues to maintain that voltage over 24 hours in spite of the small quiescent current draw from the ECU. The charger didn't go into the desulfate mode and trickle charged the battery. Wish I could get a battery hydrometer on it to measure the specific gravity of the electrolyte.
12.48V is very reasonable at 24°F. 12.6 is a full charge at room temperature, but takes 13.6-13.8 to actually put a charge into the battery. Battery usually shows a surface charge immediately after charging. Many recommend running the headlights for a minute after charging to get an accurate voltage for gauging state of charge. Watching my newer NOCO maintainers has me thinking they are temperature compensated. That they know not to try to push harder in the cold.
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran

Post by ionbeam »

N4HHE wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:35 pm
ionbeam wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:39 pm Well, the results are kinda ambiguous my battery wants to sit at 12.48 volts..
12.48V is very reasonable at 24°F...Watching my newer NOCO maintainers has me thinking they are temperature compensated. That they know not to try to push harder in the cold.
My only thought was that battery voltage isn't always a good indication of a healthy battery. When a battery is down into the 4 volt range and the ambient temperature has been below zero and single digits for days in a row there is a chance the battery can be damaged.

NOCO
An integrated thermal sensor detects the ambient temperature and alters the charge to eliminate over-charging in hot climates and under-charging in cold climates.
Optimate
Voltage adjusted higher when colder, lower when hotter!
Even though my Optimate is older it still has the same features as other charger/maintainers like the NOCO and it has done a good job for me.
wheatonFJR and N4HHE loved this
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

A load test is the only real way to determine the health of that battery.
The battery shouldn't drop below 9.6 volts during 15 seconds of cranking as a general rule for Electronic Ignition/Fuel Injected systems.
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

Conducted testing of the post-recall transmission, and surveyed road conditions on the skyway, 129, 28, and a couple of other roads. Roads and bike were great.

Temp saw 33F at one point early in the day. It would hit the upper 50’s and low 60’s by 11am.

With sunshine and similar temps forecast over the next few days, more riding may be in order...
danh600, FastPappy, BkerChuck and 5 others loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

^^^
Best post evar.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

Patiently waiting for my rear shock to return from service. While it is out, I pulled the center stand & relay arm. I cut the center stand bolts instead of removing the exhaust system. I flipped the center stand bolts during the re-install (thanks for the reminder, Ray). I replaced the bearings in the relay arm along with all the seals. I got the bike off the pipe hanger and back on the center stand tonight.

Still cold here, but the snow is almost gone - won't be long before it will be time to suit up and roll out...
Spininprop, bill lumberg, wheatonFJR and 1 others loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

325 miles today with 3 buddies.

Fantastic ride
Niehart, morecowbell, Bugnatr and 5 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran

Post by ionbeam »

Not TO my FJR but FOR my FJR. I put down calcium chloride on the 4' wide ice sheet in front of my garage door to see if I can breakup the glacier. This coming week is going to have a run of four days with the temps in the 50's & perhaps the 60's and I'd sure like to sneak out for a ride. The only gating thing would be salt laden snow banks melting and running across the road.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

ionbeam wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:47 pm Not TO my FJR but FOR my FJR. I put down calcium chloride on the 4' wide ice sheet in front of my garage door to see if I can breakup the glacier. This coming week is going to have a run of four days with the temps in the 50's & perhaps the 60's and I'd sure like to sneak out for a ride. The only gating thing would be salt laden snow banks melting and running across the road.
My driveway is clear to the road and roads in good shape (you got a lot more white shit than I do).... similar weather coming, a couple of maintenance items to do and look out Tuesday!
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

Changed the rear brake pads. Prob do the front this afternoon after I finish glockenkleenen.
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
Burnspot
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015ES, 2020 Super Tenere

Post by Burnspot »

Installed my powered Quad Lock puck and tested it on a nice, but brisk, ride; it works great. Now I just need to find a USB plug that I can wire back to my under-seat FuzeBlock instead of using a cord out of my tank bag. Last weekend, I finally got around to installing Speedbleeders on my '15; however, I found that my clutch bleeder must have a bit of corrosion as it resisted removal...saving it for Tech Day at Bob's.
Scott
https://burnspot.smugmug.com/
RIP Petey, Jason, and Don...JSNS
Hack
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by Hack »

'Reinstalled the fuel tank vent hose and the airbox vent hose/filter assy. the dealer who did my tranny recall job either forgot or neglected to put back.
DesignFlaw06
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006 FJR1300A

Post by DesignFlaw06 »

I put air in the tires. I made sure all my gear still fits. Sena is fully charged. Turned the key to discover that the battery tender was on 6V. :x Must have got bumped at some point during the winter because I have nothing that needs 6V. It's not the first time it has happened. The switch is too easy to be bumped apparently. Currently charging again at 12V. Hoping my battery isn't shot. Regardless, when it's done charging, that switch is going to be removed.
TimDog!
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

DesignFlaw06 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:47 pm I put air in the tires. I made sure all my gear still fits. Sena is fully charged. Turned the key to discover that the battery tender was on 6V. :x Must have got bumped at some point during the winter because I have nothing that needs 6V. It's not the first time it has happened. The switch is too easy to be bumped apparently. Currently charging again at 12V. Hoping my battery isn't shot. Regardless, when it's done charging, that switch is going to be removed.
Depends on how dumb (or smart) the tender is. Anything properly designed will turn itself off if met with criteria outside its range. (i.e. reversed polarity). Some battery tenders won't turn on if the starting voltage is too low and a dumb trickle charger is needed to bring the battery up to a level where the tender will even try. Too high a voltage should make it say something is wrong here and I won't do anything until you fix it. No idea if a dumb tender would try to reduce voltage - hope not! Did you check the battery voltage with a meter before putting it back on?