What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
User avatar
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
Posts: 2178
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:03 pm
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES
x 3048
x 3093
Contact:

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by bill lumberg »

Nate is an undocumented engineer…
danh600 and Hppants loved this
2018 FJR1300ES (soon for sale)/2022ES
User avatar
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
Posts: 2178
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:03 pm
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES
x 3048
x 3093
Contact:

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by bill lumberg »

Did the 600 mile service. Installed 1” riser blocks. Kind of wish I’d left it alone.
2018 FJR1300ES (soon for sale)/2022ES
User avatar
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
Posts: 15744
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:10 pm
FJRModel: 2013
Location: Travelers Rest
x 28502
x 12084

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by wheatonFJR »

bill lumberg wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:32 am Did the 600 mile service...
Excellent, now you can pin that throttle on the Skyway like old times.
bill lumberg loved this
“There’s no better therapy than a ride.” -petey

There are some awfully good people here at FJRiders!
User avatar
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
Posts: 7439
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:49 am
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee
Location: Millgrove, Ontario, CA
x 2128
x 7323

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by raYzerman »

FJRoss wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:55 am I was just speculating if it was worthwhile to bother with the swingarm bearings... I have never heard of anyone who got into it and found them desperately in need of fresh lube. I suppose it wouldn't take that long since I'll have the rest of it apart anyway. Good time to have a look at the U-joint, shaft and front splines...
If you've done a swingarm before, then you likely have your answer. I've done two, one on my project bike since it was in a basket. How can water get in there? Right end had sealed bearing. There's a torquing procedure to follow........

To me, totally a revenue generator in the Yammy maintenance schedule. My answer, work on something else.
fontanaman loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
User avatar
FJRoss
Veteran
Posts: 1618
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:41 pm
FJRModel: 2011 A
Location: Fredericton NB (Canada)
x 398
x 1265

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by FJRoss »

raYzerman wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:52 pm
FJRoss wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:55 am I was just speculating if it was worthwhile to bother with the swingarm bearings... I have never heard of anyone who got into it and found them desperately in need of fresh lube. I suppose it wouldn't take that long since I'll have the rest of it apart anyway. Good time to have a look at the U-joint, shaft and front splines...
If you've done a swingarm before, then you likely have your answer. I've done two, one on my project bike since it was in a basket. How can water get in there? Right end had sealed bearing. There's a torquing procedure to follow........

To me, totally a revenue generator in the Yammy maintenance schedule. My answer, work on something else.
I haven't done the swingarm on this bike. I figure there is little likelihood that it needs anything except for the very small chance there was an original assembly error (bad seal or insufficient grease). Still, I agree that it is pretty far down on the list of things that really need to be done. Once I get the wheel, shock, drive shaft/pumpkin and relay arm off, I'll "exercise" the swingarm and see if there is significant resistance to movement or any grittiness. If it is smooth, I'll call it done.
I bought the bike with 58,000 km - around 75,000 km ago. Time to have a look at drive shaft, splines and u-joint anyway. Don't know when the PO did that but it was likely whenever he did the relay arm. Don't think he did the swingarm...
User avatar
FJRPittsburgh
Contributor
Veteran
Posts: 840
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:10 pm
FJRModel: 2008 AE
Location: Canonsburg, PA
x 3554
x 1157

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by FJRPittsburgh »

Installed LED headlights to join the 21st century.
User avatar
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
Posts: 5138
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:17 pm
FJRModel: 2009 FJR
Location: SE Michigan
x 981
x 6390
Contact:

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by extrememarine »

Nice 200 mile ride today; started working on 2023 calendar contest fodder, had lunch (thanks Don!) and did a quick check of my "you shouldn't ride a FJR here" button

Just a guess, but I'll bet the martini's taste like butt crack...
Image

Lunch in Bay Port (Michigan)
Image

where's Don?
Image
fontanaman, LKLD, Niehart and 7 others loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero
User avatar
natehawk750
Contributor
Veteran
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:07 pm
FJRModel: 2015 FJR1300A, 2001 zrx1200r, 2001 XR650R
x 1503
x 1412

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by natehawk750 »

FJRoss wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:09 am

Any info on that light bar? Looks pretty substantial. My Clearwater Ericas are mounted on mirror mounts and are heavy enough to vibrate the mirrors pretty badly on a rough road...

Image
Ross that's actually a mock up of what I eventually want to build.
I just threw it together with a set of brackets that are no longer obtainable (unless I'm asked nicely) and a stainless marine grab bar. Those lights weigh about 5lbs a piece (substantially more than your Erica's) and the extra support helps keep them steady
Eventually I'd like to install a set of Clearwater Sevinas or Erica's and although not needed I'll probably keep the bar incase I decide to Install an infrared camera one of these days I'll have something easy to mount it to.
FJRoss loved this
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

#69272
User avatar
FJRoss
Veteran
Posts: 1618
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:41 pm
FJRModel: 2011 A
Location: Fredericton NB (Canada)
x 398
x 1265

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by FJRoss »

natehawk750 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:08 pm
FJRoss wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:09 am

Any info on that light bar? Looks pretty substantial. My Clearwater Ericas are mounted on mirror mounts and are heavy enough to vibrate the mirrors pretty badly on a rough road...

Image
Ross that's actually a mock up of what I eventually want to build.
I just threw it together with a set of brackets that are no longer obtainable (unless I'm asked nicely) and a stainless marine grab bar. Those lights weigh about 5lbs a piece (substantially more than your Erica's) and the extra support helps keep them steady
Eventually I'd like to install a set of Clearwater Sevinas or Erica's and although not needed I'll probably keep the bar incase I decide to Install an infrared camera one of these days I'll have something easy to mount it to.
The Ericas may be lighter but weight is still significant. With the Clearwater mirror mounts on my Gen II. There is more mirror shake than I like on a rough road. I would love to find a way to stiffen them up. My bike came with the Clearwaters - I probably would have chosen something lighter (and cheaper). I don't do a lot of night riding so they mostly run at minimum intensity for conspicuosity. They go to full with high beam or with the horn. Amber fork-mounted Glendas as well. The Ericas are pretty impressive on the infrequent occasions when I find myself on a back road after sunset.
natehawk750 loved this
Deagle10
Veteran
Posts: 687
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:16 pm
FJRModel: 2014
Location: Clarkston MI
x 881
x 1024

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by Deagle10 »

extrememarine wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:20 pm where's Don?
Image
Evidently Wayne felt the need to see how the FJR and the Tenere 700 will differ on gravel roads. I took the flat, empty, paved, farm country roads to test if Wayne balanced my wheels correctly.
El Toro Joe loved this
SE Ohio: Never trust a hill.
User avatar
John d
Veteran
Posts: 564
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:01 pm
FJRModel: 2008A
Location: Normandale ON
x 693
x 452

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by John d »

Replaced my worn out rear T32GT with a brand new T32GT.

It was a b@t%h to get on, because I used too much lube and I ended up chasing the tire around the locked in place wheel. Even the clamps spun. By time I got the tire on it was cold. What a struggle. Next time ..... more heat and less lube.

That tire handled really well, right to the end at about 6500 miles, and that was well beyond the wear bars.
wheatonFJR and N4HHE loved this
User avatar
FJRoss
Veteran
Posts: 1618
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:41 pm
FJRModel: 2011 A
Location: Fredericton NB (Canada)
x 398
x 1265

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by FJRoss »

John d wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:15 pm That tire handled really well, right to the end at about 6500 miles, and that was well beyond the wear bars.
Good to know. I have a set waiting to go on and a trip that (unfortunately) includes a lot of slab.
What did it take to balance them?
N4HHE
Veteran
Posts: 1016
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:17 pm
FJRModel: 2016
Location: North Alabama
x 1290
x 764

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by N4HHE »

I find Bridgestone T30/31/32 balance very easy.

I lube liberally and do not “chase the tire around the rim” because I use the No-Mar spoons and two Yellow Things to mount. Never got the hang of using the 2-prong end of the mount/dismount bar.
User avatar
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
Posts: 15744
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:10 pm
FJRModel: 2013
Location: Travelers Rest
x 28502
x 12084

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by wheatonFJR »

N4HHE wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:50 pm I find Bridgestone T30/31/32 balance very easy.

I lube liberally and do not “chase the tire around the rim” because I use the No-Mar spoons and two Yellow Things to mount. Never got the hang of using the 2-prong end of the mount/dismount bar.
I use everything, whatever it takes.
fontanaman and John d loved this
“There’s no better therapy than a ride.” -petey

There are some awfully good people here at FJRiders!
User avatar
John d
Veteran
Posts: 564
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:01 pm
FJRModel: 2008A
Location: Normandale ON
x 693
x 452

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by John d »

FJRoss wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:13 pm
John d wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:15 pm That tire handled really well, right to the end at about 6500 miles, and that was well beyond the wear bars.
Good to know. I have a set waiting to go on and a trip that (unfortunately) includes a lot of slab.
What did it take to balance them?
It took one 7 gram weight. The last one needed none. It's good that Bridgestone tires have balance dots.
FJRoss and wheatonFJR loved this
N4HHE
Veteran
Posts: 1016
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:17 pm
FJRModel: 2016
Location: North Alabama
x 1290
x 764

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by N4HHE »

wheatonFJR wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:45 pm
N4HHE wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:50 pm I find Bridgestone T30/31/32 balance very easy.

I lube liberally and do not “chase the tire around the rim” because I use the No-Mar spoons and two Yellow Things to mount. Never got the hang of using the 2-prong end of the mount/dismount bar.
I use everything, whatever it takes.
Me too. That is why I have (4) No-Mar spoons. Often 2 is not enough, especially with a T32GT. Latest tire started with (3) which was only just barely enough. After the 3rd the tire was still not over the rim but was lubed well enough that I could push the last bit over by hand. No chance at getting a spoon between tire and and rim.

A couple of times frustrated not being able to get the last part over the rim and not being able to get a spoon inserted I have used the bead breaker to push the remainder of the tire on.
John d loved this
User avatar
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
Posts: 3625
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:22 pm
FJRModel: 2016ES
Location: North Coast of Ohio
x 5019
x 1992

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by El Toro Joe »

Well it was actually Monday, but took the wheels off to have new tires mounted...dropped the wheels and tires off yesterday to be mounted, picking them up today after work...
Image
Deagle10 loved this
"RIP Petey"
User avatar
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
Posts: 2178
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:03 pm
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES
x 3048
x 3093
Contact:

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by bill lumberg »

Fed it. Replaced the temp tag with the official one.

Image
Hppants, gixxerjasen, and wheatonFJR loved this
2018 FJR1300ES (soon for sale)/2022ES
User avatar
FJRoss
Veteran
Posts: 1618
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:41 pm
FJRModel: 2011 A
Location: Fredericton NB (Canada)
x 398
x 1265

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by FJRoss »

bill lumberg wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:49 pm Fed it. Replaced the temp tag with the official one.

Image
Are you going to paint those city bags or leave them flat black? To me, they don't look awful but do look out of place...
bill lumberg loved this
User avatar
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
Posts: 15744
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:10 pm
FJRModel: 2013
Location: Travelers Rest
x 28502
x 12084

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by wheatonFJR »

FJRoss wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:58 pm
bill lumberg wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:49 pm Fed it. Replaced the temp tag with the official one.

Image
Are you going to paint those city bags or leave them flat black? To me, they don't look awful but do look out of place...
I dunno. To me they look like they are ready for battle!

Sweet!Looking bike!
bill lumberg loved this
“There’s no better therapy than a ride.” -petey

There are some awfully good people here at FJRiders!
Post Reply