What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by FJRoss »

I replaced the shifter rubber.
Then sat down with a beer to admire my work.
Uncle Hud, John d, Hppants and 6 others loved this
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

I used to look at the shifter rubber to verify a bikes mileage claims.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

bungie4 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:28 pm I used to look at the shifter rubber to verify a bikes mileage claims.
Then some bikes you'd have to look at the finger trigger wear. ;)
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Festus wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:12 pm
wheatonFJR wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:32 pm Marietta?? SE Ohio??? 8-)

Make that Thursday to Sunday... :stickpoke:
Considered it for certain but NC has been pulling me since 2019. I have dreams about the Skyway and 28. They are calling and I'm listening :)
I can't twist your arm? People are being nuts in north and south Carolina, so gas may be in short or nonexistent supply in most of your proposed riding area. I even hear that they emptied the gas in Robbinsville according to Killboy or one of the other photographer sites.

Plenty of gas in Marietta, OH from what I hear, a few folks gathering, ride some interesting roads with friends that you've likely never been on before, and I'll even throw in a beer. Hopefully they have some ALL DAY IPA in the vicinity.

viewtopic.php?p=144725#p144725
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

Plans have definitely changed. Definitely will be in WV, just not sure where yet. If we make it into the area where Marietta is within striking distance, there might be a sighting!
Hppants and wheatonFJR loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Alan - sounds like you and I are similar brakers. My rear pads are original (74K) and still have 1/2 or more left.

The front wheel stops the bike. the back wheel just holds it straight in a panic stop.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

Hppants wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:36 pm Alan - sounds like you and I are similar brakers. My rear pads are original (74K) and still have 1/2 or more left.

The front wheel stops the bike. the back wheel just holds it straight in a panic stop.
I have limited use for the rear brake, sometimes if traction is iffy, sometimes trailbraking and in a panic emergency situation use all the braking you can get.

It feels like I have power brakes up front, much better.

So far as washing my bike yesterday, I didn't. I just got back from a ride in the rain, so I made a good call on that.
Hppants and wheatonFJR loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

This evening, I packed my FJR.

East Texas is calling, and I must go.
Cav47, danh600, Niehart and 2 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Packed my FJR. SE Ohio is calling. Looking forward to seeing roller coasters and old faces.
escapefjrtist and Niehart loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

wheatonFJR wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:31 pm Looking forward to seeing old faces.
Old faces? At an FJR meet? I doubt you'll be disappointed. :D
Uncle Hud, Bugnatr, D-Eagle and 1 others loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E

Niehart
FJRModel: 2015

Post by Niehart »

^^^^ Alright, I'll admit I might have laughed just a little bit at that post.
wheatonFJR loved this
FastPappy
Veteran
FJRModel: 2009 AE

Post by FastPappy »

Ok as is my habit gave her a quick visual then had a nice little 2 hour ride how ever upon inspection noticed some cracking of the luggage rack plastic. Not the subframe yet as far as I can tell but something I hadn't noticed before so further investigation is warranted. Never over loaded the top box so not sure how this would come about. Now what to do. I'll temporarily eliminate the box till I decide the correct course of action. But it was a nice little ride though. :D
Pappy 09AE
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

FastPappy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:49 pm ...upon inspection noticed some cracking of the luggage rack plastic...
Out of curiosity, what brand is the luggage rack? By the looks of the trunk in your avatar, it's not OEM.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

FastPappy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:49 pm Ok as is my habit gave her a quick visual then had a nice little 2 hour ride how ever upon inspection noticed some cracking of the luggage rack plastic. Not the subframe yet as far as I can tell but something I hadn't noticed before so further investigation is warranted. Never over loaded the top box so not sure how this would come about. Now what to do. I'll temporarily eliminate the box till I decide the correct course of action. But it was a nice little ride though. :D
Givi rack will solve your problems. You could use a Gerauld stiffy kit but it's too late for that, so since you need a new rack, givi would be the way I'd go. In fact, it's the way I did go when mine let loose.

I did the stiffy kit too. Changing subframes sucks, I only wanted to do it once. Really I didn't even want to do it once but I never want to do it again.

Be glad you caught it in time.

My Blog

Hack
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by Hack »

'Rode my Fjr to work for the first time this year..
Left the house my usual time... 'Got here somewhat earlier than usual for some strange reason...

Should be a brisk ride home in the AM... Forcast is calling for 8°c in the morning...
FastPappy
Veteran

Post by FastPappy »

ionbeam wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:54 pm
FastPappy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:49 pm ...upon inspection noticed some cracking of the luggage rack plastic...
Out of curiosity, what brand is the luggage rack? By the looks of the trunk in your avatar, it's not OEM.
Ok you may have a laugh at this but back when I first got the feej I was trying to decide which way to go for the top box oem or aftermarket both being a bit pricey for me at the time and being the cheap (my wife says. I say frugal) SOB that I am I happened upon this box that was on sale from JC Whitney. I think I paid about 50 bucks for it at the time. I fabricated my own mounting plate from a piece of quarter in. Aluminum flat stock I found on one of my jobs and mounted it to that with a piece of rubber mat between the bike and my plate to insulate from vibration. I thought at the time I would go this route temporarily until I could decide/afford the box I really wanted. So it worked so well I never changed it it's served well since 09 and I'm not sure when the cracking started like I said I never over loaded it just some extra gloves rain pants my cover when I'm riding and my helmet when I'm parked. I need to look closer but right now the cracking seems minor everything seems to be intact but showed the cracking. :(
Pappy 09AE
FastPappy
Veteran

Post by FastPappy »

gixxerjasen wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:27 pm
FastPappy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:49 pm Ok as is my habit gave her a quick visual then had a nice little 2 hour ride how ever upon inspection noticed some cracking of the luggage rack plastic. Not the subframe yet as far as I can tell but something I hadn't noticed before so further investigation is warranted. Never over loaded the top box so not sure how this would come about. Now what to do. I'll temporarily eliminate the box till I decide the correct course of action. But it was a nice little ride though. :D
Givi rack will solve your problems. You could use a Gerauld stiffy kit but it's too late for that, so since you need a new rack, givi would be the way I'd go. In fact, it's the way I did go when mine let loose.

I did the stiffy kit too. Changing subframes sucks, I only wanted to do it once. Really I didn't even want to do it once but I never want to do it again.

Be glad you caught it in time.

So as far as I can tell so far there is no cracking as far back as in your picture it's more under the seat by the grab rails. I'm wondering if it could've been caused by the wife while riding two up? :?:
Pappy 09AE
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

I'd bet it's just the bag vibrating over time, unless she leans heavily on the box as a backrest. This is interesting though because this is usually found when both have broken. I've always wondered if the subframe breaks and then the extra stress breaks the mount, or does it happen vice versa. Most don't usually find it at the stage you are at which leads one to believe that the mount breaks putting the stress on the subframe which breaks. I'd replace that mount with the Givi SR357 I believe it is, which is very good and definitely not run the top box till you fix it. You'll pay out the price of the Givi rack at least for a used subframe, then the time and pain in the ass if you swap it yourself, more if you have a shop do it.

My top box is a Shad and I did similar to you in taking some metal plate and drilling it appropriately to make the Shad Mount work with the Givi rack.
My Blog

FastPappy
Veteran

Post by FastPappy »

gixxerjasen wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:08 am I'd bet it's just the bag vibrating over time, unless she leans heavily on the box as a backrest. This is interesting though because this is usually found when both have broken. I've always wondered if the subframe breaks and then the extra stress breaks the mount, or does it happen vice versa. Most don't usually find it at the stage you are at which leads one to believe that the mount breaks putting the stress on the subframe which breaks. I'd replace that mount with the Givi SR357 I believe it is, which is very good and definitely not run the top box till you fix it. You'll pay out the price of the Givi rack at least for a used subframe, then the time and pain in the ass if you swap it yourself, more if you have a shop do it.

My top box is a Shad and I did similar to you in taking some metal plate and drilling it appropriately to make the Shad Mount work with the Givi rack.
I have a Corbin seat with the Corbin back rest so I don't think she would put much pressure if any on the box. I need to really get a closer look and I'll take some pics though I haven't been able to post anything since the photo bucket days but I'll give it a shot. Wasn't there also a stronger Yammi setup that some people were using? Suffering from CRS these days. :roll:
Pappy 09AE
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2024 BMW R1300 GS

Post by CollingsBob »

I bled the front & rear brakes and the ABS unit..