What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by N4HHE »

Cav47 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:56 am had a Verge front, (thats the 016 right?) It did wear quickly. I did abuse it properly in Virginia and Arkansas however. I had no steering issues but it did shred prematurely.
Mounted front and rear at the same time. Have almost never done that before. Rode as if the tires were flat even with 42 PSI cold front and rear.

Shinko makes a Verge and a Verge 2x. The 016 is 2x which may mean soft rubber sides hard center. Sad I disliked these as Shinko makes some exceptional off-road tires.

I'm good about logging mileage but lax in recording the price paid for tires. IIRC the 016 Verge 2x tires cost more than the closeout T30 Evos I currently have mounted. Wore twice as fast as the T30 Evo GTs I have used previously. On my friend's FJR have not noticed difference in wear life of PR4 vs PR4GT so I'm not expecting any difference with my T30 Evo not-GT.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

Cav47 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:53 am
fontanaman wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:06 pm The Brown Truck dropped off a set of PR4GTs today which I snagged for $300 before sales tax.

I may get 500 more miles on the Shinko Raven 009s.
What did you think you are gonna get out of the Ravens? You have been riding some grippy areas and plenty of curves based upon your pictures.
Hi Josh. I was hoping for 5k miles out of the Ravens. I didn't have an idea what I might get and was willing to try something different because I change my own tires. I have no gripe with the Ravens they are a fine tire that fell a bit short in longevity I was looking for. In terms of dollars/100 miles the cost is the same for a tire at $250 if the tire lasts 6500 vs the Shinko's at $170 going 4500 miles. I used 6500 miles because I can get 6500 miles on a set of tires. I didn't add sales tax, cost to change or recycle fees into this equation. It has been fun to try the Shinkos and go beyond comparing tires on just mileage or initial cost.

I try to ride twisty roads but the reality is there is a lot of straight to slightly curvy stuff I don't take a photo of because who want to see that on a motorcycle forum?

The reason for buying higher mileage tires is if I have 2000 miles on them I can go for a trip without changing tires. And based on dollars / 100 miles I am only paying a $50 premium for the PR4GTs - not a big deal.

For a week or two or three I am grounded as my wife had rotator cuff surgery - the surgery went well but she can't use her right arm for six weeks as it was the more serious kind involving a muscle tear.

I hope to get to the North Cascades Highway (Hwy 20) as soon as the pass is clear in a week or two and ride state Hwy 20 from end to end. I am also heading to Red Lodge, Yellowstone and the Bighorns in late June and perhaps a motorcycle museum in Iowa. I also want to take the DR650 to some Hells Canyon View Points in May, places I have never been - maybe I will see a bear. :D
Niehart, Cav47, wheatonFJR and 1 others loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Today, a buddy and I ripped the "curv-ies" in our part of the world for about 300 miles. Temps were tolerable under the clouds this morning, but the sun peeked out after lunch and it got a smidge sticky for the last hour home. Otherwise, absolutely desolate roads that were very clean and we had a great time. All of the rivers and bayous are high and running now. Might take the canoe out this weekend and paddle around.

Stopped at this little Taqueria that I know in the middle of nowhere, where you can get a legit pair of delicious shrimp tacos (corn tortillas), a plate of Frijoles, a scoop of roasted peanuts to snack on while waiting, and a soda pop for $8 bucks including tax and tip!!

At almost 74K, my bike still has plenty left!!

This semi-retired shit is not too bad, ya'll.

Stay thirsty, my friends.
Blueridgerider, PhilJet09, El Toro Joe and 8 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Niehart
FJRModel: 2015

Post by Niehart »

429 Miles, 3 1/2 passes [one had two much snow, had to turn around], a couple of canyons [Yakima Canyon was the best], no performance awards and a oil change when I got home. Thanks Panman for dragging me out of the house.
HotRodZilla, escapefjrtist, FastPappy and 4 others loved this
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

rbentnail wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:08 pm Did the usual run-around town for the '13: insurance; DMV for title, taxes and tag, etc. Had a nice ride with the cruise control. It's got the stock windshield on it, that's gotta go! Horrible.....
I hear everybody talk about how bad that windshield is. I still have the stock one on my 2013. It seems to work fine for me. No turbulence. The only thing it does that I don't like is a little stream of air hits right on the vent on top of my helmet. Doesn't move my helmet just makes a bit of noise. Ear plugs take care of that.

I had a Honda that had a terrible windshield. Caused so much turbulence I would have a head ache after cruising the interstate for an hour or so.

A windshield that works for you can transform a bike.

Now that stock seat had to go!!!!
YummYam and wheatonFJR loved this
danh600
Veteran

Post by danh600 »

Hppants wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:49 pm Today, a buddy and I ripped the "curv-ies" in our part of the world for about 300 miles. Temps were tolerable under the clouds this morning, but the sun peeked out after lunch and it got a smidge sticky for the last hour home. Otherwise, absolutely desolate roads that were very clean and we had a great time. All of the rivers and bayous are high and running now. Might take the canoe out this weekend and paddle around.

Stopped at this little Taqueria that I know in the middle of nowhere, where you can get a legit pair of delicious shrimp tacos (corn tortillas), a plate of Frijoles, a scoop of roasted peanuts to snack on while waiting, and a soda pop for $8 bucks including tax and tip!!

At almost 74K, my bike still has plenty left!!

This semi-retired shit is not too bad, ya'll.

Stay thirsty, my friends.
I made a guess over on your facebook page that either corn bread or tortillas were hiding under that tin foil.

I am not going to get to see what semi-retired feels like. I am going to finish up the busy season then be jobless come August.

I am ready.
CraigRegs and Hppants loved this
danh600
Veteran

Post by danh600 »

bill lumberg wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:11 am Today, I removed everything from the bags. I was picking up extra crap over time. So I removed the handful of masks and neck gaiters that were salted through the bags. Earplugs. Redundant insurance cards. Etc.

Put the jump pack and jump pack cables, and Sena charging cable in a different pouch, and managed to find a place for them under the seat. Now only the aerostich pump has to go in a case. Truthfully, it’d probably fit in the glovebox. May try that next.

Trying to get back to baseline and run without a topcase occasionally, and maybe even without any bags once in a while. A juvenile fascination I go through every year when it gets warm.
I love running the FJR with no bags and just the smuggler.

Funny thing is I forget about the glove box. I bet mine hasn't even been open in a few years.
bill lumberg loved this
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

danh600 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:04 am
bill lumberg wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:11 am Today, I removed everything from the bags. I was picking up extra crap over time. So I removed the handful of masks and neck gaiters that were salted through the bags. Earplugs. Redundant insurance cards. Etc.

Put the jump pack and jump pack cables, and Sena charging cable in a different pouch, and managed to find a place for them under the seat. Now only the aerostich pump has to go in a case. Truthfully, it’d probably fit in the glovebox. May try that next.

Trying to get back to baseline and run without a topcase occasionally, and maybe even without any bags once in a while. A juvenile fascination I go through every year when it gets warm.
I love running the FJR with no bags and just the smuggler.

Funny thing is I forget about the glove box. I bet mine hasn't even been open in a few years.
Some of you know that I rarely ride with any luggage unless it is a must. No side bags or top case once I get to the destination. I like the unencumbered feel as well. Just less stuff to be worried about. Tank bag and that's about it. I do however have a small pelican case attached to the rear fender that has been solid for years. I keep my heated jacket in there so it is always with me. If I do have an incident/tip over, at least my bags will be safe and I won't have to replace them.

As for the glove box, it has my registration/insurance paperwork in there, a deck of cards, a spare double stack mag, a USB adapter, phone charger, Sena cord, some emergency AFIB medicine, and a few hidden bills in case I lost my wallet I could get home from just about anywhere.
CraigRegs loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

From a "looks" perspective, I like just the saddle bags or no bags. From a Practical perspective, I like just the top case. The tank bag goes not matter what - it's just too convenient.

I'm not sure I can see ever having a motorcycle without hard luggage. Even a dual sport.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

Cav47 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:13 am As for the glove box, it has my registration/insurance paperwork in there, ...
Ziplock bag under the seat for me.
YummYam loved this
danh600
Veteran

Post by danh600 »

Hppants wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:17 pm From a "looks" perspective, I like just the saddle bags or no bags. From a Practical perspective, I like just the top case. The tank bag goes not matter what - it's just too convenient.

I'm not sure I can see ever having a motorcycle without hard luggage. Even a dual sport.
The tank bag is just like part of my gear. I never ride without it. I keep almost everything in there. It is kind of nice to have the bags on the FJR cause you can lock the tank bag in there if you are doing a day ride and just walk in to eat.

When I ride the MT09 I use the same tank bag. I just throw it in one of the saddle bags. I am scared to put the magnetic tank bag on the matte painted gas tank.

You do have to admit an FJR without the bags and a smuggler is a pretty bike!
HotRodZilla, Niehart, FastPappy and 1 others loved this
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

Hppants wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:17 pm From a "looks" perspective, I like just the saddle bags or no bags. From a Practical perspective, I like just the top case. The tank bag goes not matter what - it's just too convenient.

I use Mosko Moto Backcountry 35's on my DR650. The were expensive but worth it. The bike can take a nap and without damaging the bags. Last year my pannier rack broke and the bag was bouncing along on the ground until I stopped - they were not damage or abraded - I was pleasantly surprised. A bit of bailing wire was used to repair the pannier rack and I was on my way again. The Mosko Moto bags are extremely functional. I attached a water bag to each of the panniers in case I have to spend a night or two in the woods without source of water.

If I ever get a big bore dual sport I would use the Mosko Moto bags over anything else.

If you get a dual sport someday consider the chances of trashing hard luggage.

Here is my DR with the Mosko Moto bags in Central Idaho.

Last edited by fontanaman on Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
escapefjrtist loved this
YummYam
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2007 AE - 1960 Matchless G3 - 1974 Mk ll 850 Commando-1999 Triumph Thunderbird Sport

Post by YummYam »

I am not going to get to see what semi-retired feels like. I am going to finish up the busy season then be jobless come August.

Dan, I just struck you off my Christmas card list.
escapefjrtist and Powerman loved this
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

danh600 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:45 am I hear everybody talk about how bad that windshield is. I still have the stock one on my 2013. It seems to work fine for me. No turbulence. The only thing it does that I don't like is a little stream of air hits right on the vent on top of my helmet. Doesn't move my helmet just makes a bit of noise. Ear plugs take care of that.

I had a Honda that had a terrible windshield. Caused so much turbulence I would have a head ache after cruising the interstate for an hour or so.

A windshield that works for you can transform a bike.

Now that stock seat had to go!!!!
You and I must be polar opposites :) . For me stock windshield sux, stock seat is fine. I rode a lot of miles on my '07 with the stock seat with no discomfort at all. I've since moved on to the Yamaha Comfort seat which for me is very plush and a Sargent front seat that I find luxurious. I have the giant Cee Bailey barn door sized windshield with a flip on the '07. I prefer the Cone of Silence to the constant noise and pressure of the wind on my head and chest. I too use hearing protection but still find the noise annoying. To each his/her/its own I say! :D

The seller tossed in a few extras. Touring windshield went on today but I haven't ridden with it. The bike had a Russell seat- that was switched with my Yammy Comfort before I handed him the check. I tried an RDL yrs back- worst seat ever for me so I'll be selling that after I find some cheap stock seats for the '07. Still gotta move the gps octopus cable and peg lowerers over. And the bike has engine guards with hwy pegs but I gotta move the pegs back some. The seller was a taller feller than I am- I can barely reach them where he has them!
danh600 loved this
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2024 BMW R1300 GS

Post by CollingsBob »

I replaced the front Michelin Road 5GT with another Michelin Road 5GT this morning. It’s round & black, 2 important qualities for a tire to possess..
Spininprop, fontanaman, and wheatonFJR loved this
Spininprop
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022ES
Traded 2016A
Sold 2013 GSX-R1000
Sold 2003 GSX-R1000
Sold 2000 Bandit 600

Post by Spininprop »

Opened the front door and collected and salivated over the new Road 5 rubber that showed up. I'll need new for my trip to devils tower and surrounding area in june. Hoppefully this year works out. I'll run the remaining tread on the current set untill then.
PhilJet09 and bungie4 loved this
IBA# 84110
2022 FJR1300ES
2016 FJR1300A Traded
2013 GSX-R1000 Traded
2003 GSX-R1000 Sold
2000 Bandit 600 Traded
Powerman
Veteran
FJRModel: 06fjr

Post by Powerman »

Broom fell and the garage door didn't close. Wiped the pollen off the FJR to go get an inspection. Sinuses swollen up and got a headache, never made it. Doctor has said to move to Florida, allergic to Virginia.
danh600
Veteran

Post by danh600 »

Powerman wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:20 am Broom fell and the garage door didn't close. Wiped the pollen off the FJR to go get an inspection. Sinuses swollen up and got a headache, never made it. Doctor has said to move to Florida, allergic to Virginia.
Florida? There is something blooming here year round.
N4HHE loved this
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

danh600 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:20 am Florida? There is something blooming here year round.
Mostly blooming idiots :P
Bugnatr, fontanaman, Uncle Hud and 2 others loved this
Powerman
Veteran
FJRModel: 06fjr

Post by Powerman »

Actually Southern Florida is pretty good on my allergies.