Stop in & tell us who you are, where you are from, etc.
tim ferrell
Squid
FJRModel: 2003

Post by tim ferrell »

Hi - I posted here before introducing myself. Just anxious, I guess. I live in coastal Maine, near Bar Harbor. I have owned all kinds of bikes except dirt, and have jumped around a lot in the quest for perfection (LOL). This forum seems to be the most active the most helpful, and also has a sense of humor, so often missing on the 'net. So thanks for that, everyone. I have done some sport touring, and I owned a concours 1000 at one time. Even tho' the ergos did not work well for me, I drove the crap out of that bike for years and actually miss it. With that in mind, I got to thinking about the FLR, which is really a legendary bike in some circles. I'll never forget the feeling of riding along briskly along rural highway in upstate NY on my Harley, and having an FJR just sail past, smooth as silk, and thinking "that's what I want to do". Recently able to put some action behind that thought, although on a budget.
FJRPittsburgh, Puc, Cav47 and 3 others loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Re: Newbie

Post by wheatonFJR »

Good to have you here. We sail by Harleys a lot. Sometimes 30 at a time. Hope they're always thinking what you were thinking. ;-)
Uncle Hud and Hppants loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Enjoy your time in the sandbox, perhaps put your location in your profile.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

Hello and welcome.

I had a Harley as well - riding it like this is what brought me to the realization I was on the wrong bike.

I had both for a while, but once I moved to Michigan from South Carolina, the limited riding season meant the FJR saw more seat time and the Harley passed on to someone who'd enjoy and use it.

I may or may not have also been involved with group passing of Harley's as Wheaton describes above - and IF I ever did execute such a maneuver, it was only after I patiently waited for my request to pass to be acknowledged for a few minutes.

FJRPittsburgh, Hppants, and wheatonFJR loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Request to pass = use of high beams??

:D
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Welcome to the madness! We are glad to have ya.

I've been to where you live. Went there and plenty around there with my wife during the annual season when green turns to orange, red, yellow, and all shades in between. We loved that trip and will most assuredly do it again.

You'll find everything you need here, and quite a bit you can probably do without too. If you are a DIY guy, there's no better source of info and help. If you are not, and are considering giving it a try, then by all means, jump in! We are all too happy to help. This of course comes with our 100% money back guarantee.

Finally, check out the meet/greet riding events and think about attending one. This group isn't too much on formal rally-like BS. We are not posers. We are riders. A 100K bike is revered here as having crossed the rite of passage. It's owner is respected as a rider. Art belongs on the wall and in the hall. Motorcycles are made to be ridden. Come ride with us. Ride by yourself if you must, but take some pictures and share them with us.

I hope you enjoy your FJR.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

Another welcome. This one from the South West -- New Hampshire. There is a bevy of FJRiders in this area. We often have a ride to Bar Harbor after Labor Day (after the tourists leave, but before stores close). I'm not sure how it happened, but we have ended up being named NERDS (New England Riders Doing Shit Stuff) and we informally have rides and put on events.

We can help you spend your money and install fun things like heated grips, cruise control, power distribution, bright flashing tail lights, driving lights for early moose detection and safety.....

Enjoy your new ride!
Puc
Squid
FJRModel: 1983 Yamaha Venture, named "Tweeks", 2001 R1 named "Maggie"

Post by Puc »

Hi Tim and welcome from another newbie in Michigan!! IMHO your comment about having an FJR go smoothly sailing by is absolutely SPOT ON.. Just wanted to let you know that is common is Michigan too.
Puc
FJRPittsburgh
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 A, 2008 AE has been sold.

Post by FJRPittsburgh »

Welcome Tim. I'm glad you joined. We needed another Tim. LOL
wheatonFJR loved this
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A
2013 Honda CRF250 L
2018 Yamaha FZ-07
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

Yo, Tim! If you haven't found it already ... viewtopic.php?f=55&t=5700 meet some folks, shake a few hands bump a few elbows.
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Hi Tim

We exchanged a couple of PM's on the other site (RossKean there)
Welcome.

FJRoss
Blister_1
Contributor
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2020 ES

Post by Blister_1 »

Welcome, Tim!
Do good things,

Kevin