Greetings from sunny Southern New England

Stop in & tell us who you are, where you are from, etc.
Patch
Squid
FJRModel: 2013

Greetings from sunny Southern New England

Post by Patch »

So I just jumped into the pool head first.

Flew out and picked up a 2013 and rode it home just over 1,100 miles. Not a bad 1st ride. Never been on an FJR before this.

Coming from a BMW R1200R, and am keeping it as there is just something I love about the boxer twin. Great bike, and even though I've asked a lot of it it really isn't the mile muncher I need. Hoping the FJR fits that bill nicely.

Will be getting used to it over the next few weeks, have owned it 2 weeks now and have put a total of 1700 miles on it. Cruise is intermittent and I'm told its likely the switches so I'll ask around as I have no experience with diag or replacing those. But for now .. happy riding!
Last edited by Patch on Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
HotRodZilla, Niehart, LKLD and 6 others loved this
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Re: Greetings from sunny Southern New England

Post by ionbeam »

Welcome from sunny, hot southern New Hampshire. Nice bike! Enjoy the Can-Bus free world. It looks like a well equipped bike. If you hit the curves hard the road pegs can be a problem.

The first most likely cause of an intermittent cruise is a sticking rear brake pedal, it needs to be removed, cleaned and lubed. There are two switches on the rear brake assembly, it's possible for the switch the cruise looks at to not 'open' and the other to work due to sticking. If your cruise fails to set, put your toe under the rear brake lever and lift, then try again.

The FJR has several commonly neglected maintenance spots, the rear brake pedal is one. Others are the bronze bushing on the clutch lever and the front brake lever. If you experience the transmission to not shift sometimes, it's the pivot behind the left foot peg preventing the shift lever from returning to the center position. The entire foot peg assembly needs to come off to access the pivot. The pivot is not the easily accessible turnbuckles :( It has to be taken apart and cleaned and lubed.
HotRodZilla, Patch, basicjim and 1 others loved this
basicjim
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2006 FJR1300

Post by basicjim »

PATCH! Welcome my Brother!! Glad you got the FJR before the rally's start! Between MN2020 and Co-Void, you should get dialed in for next years big ride!

Nice to have you here! Everyone here is really cool except that one guy. He's a dick.
Patch loved this
Jim B
IBA# 74290
NW Ohio
2006 Yamaha FJR1300
2017 Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

Welcome from Spokane Washington.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Welcome from south Louisiana. Hope you enjoy your FJR.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Redfish
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014A and 2015ES

Post by Redfish »

basicjim wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:41 pm PATCH! Welcome my Brother!! Glad you got the FJR before the rally's start! Between MN2020 and Co-Void, you should get dialed in for next years big ride!

Nice to have you here! Everyone here is really cool except that one guy. He's a dick.
Uhhh, I am right here. I can hear you.

Patch, I am glad you made it through. We try not to let in too many of those ugly 2013s but I asked the bosses to make an exception. You cannot be any worse than some of the other '13 owners.

:twisted:
HotRodZilla, Hppants, basicjim and 1 others loved this
Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas all at the same time.
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

Redfish wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:12 pm
basicjim wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:41 pm PATCH! Welcome my Brother!! Glad you got the FJR before the rally's start! Between MN2020 and Co-Void, you should get dialed in for next years big ride!

Patch, I am glad you made it through. We try not to let in too many of those ugly 2013s but I asked the bosses to make an exception. You cannot be any worse than some of the other '13 owners.

2013 owners are like teenagers. One or two are not bad, but you get a herd of them look out. :lol:

Welcome Patch.
HotRodZilla, Hppants, basicjim and 1 others loved this
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Redfish wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:12 pm

Yep, found the dick. It's ok though, you two should get along, Redfish also owned(owns) a BMW, however he seems to think less of his than you do of yours.

Welcome aboard from Texas!
Hppants, Cav47, wheatonFJR and 1 others loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Patch
Squid
FJRModel: 2013

Post by Patch »

Thanks all ... good to be here.

I appreciate the info ionbeam ... I haven't yet gotten to the rear brake pedal. I have no issue with the cruise setting and or holding speed when it works. Its the flashing indicator and the inability to use it at all that is the issue.

Thanks Redfish for sneaking me in despite my ugly 2013. The good news is that while riding it I don't have to look at it. But you all do!!!

Now to dig into the cruise!! And learn how to dump and fill everything on this mother. Its got some miles to roll this year.
basicjim and gixxerjasen loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Don't let anyone tell you that your bike isn't purty. The 13 has classic good looks. Yours looks to be set up pretty well.
Patch loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

I think the 13's are purdy, one of the better ones...... what, you want lipstick pink or ass-fault gray? Jeez.
Patch loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

Welcome to yet another social media platform!

Gotta get my FJR to New England one of these summers. Stopping by 30 Caldwell Street, Charlestown, MA; my freezing cold address for over 2 years.
Patch loved this
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517