Greetings from NJ

Stop in & tell us who you are, where you are from, etc.
rauchman
Squid
FJRModel: 2013 HD Switchback

Greetings from NJ

Post by rauchman »

Greetings,

FNG here! Currently on an HD Switchback. My wife has one as well. Our FLD's were our 10 year anniversary present to ourselves. Anyway, I've always been curious about the FJR. My buddy and I were on tour up in VT a few years ago and the MC godz bestowed their benevolence upon us by having us come upon a Yamaha demo day, where upon I test rode an FJ-09 and a new 2015 FJR1300ES. I was very impressed with the FJR, especially the suspension. Did think turn in was a bit sluggish, but I understand the front is very sensitive to tire pressure.

I'm thinking of adding a bike to the fleet, and I'm somewhere between a FJR1300 and Kawi Versys 1K. Anyway, I'm here to learn about the big FJR.

Thanks,
Ken
RacinRay
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES 2011 Triumph Speed Triple

Re: Greetings from NJ

Post by RacinRay »

Welcome aboard. You'll find much info on the FJR here.
rauchman loved this
The dildo of consequences never arrives lubed.
jwilly
Site Admin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by jwilly »

Welcome to the forum!
wheatonFJR and rauchman loved this
I’d be more than happy to swear under oath that having watched you ride for many, many miles, there is no way in hell you could be speeding through those curves. -0face
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

rauchman wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:27 am Greetings,

FNG here! Currently on an HD Switchback. My wife has one as well. Our FLD's were our 10 year anniversary present to ourselves. Anyway, I've always been curious about the FJR. My buddy and I were on tour up in VT a few years ago and the MC godz bestowed their benevolence upon us by having us come upon a Yamaha demo day, where upon I test rode an FJ-09 and a new 2015 FJR1300ES. I was very impressed with the FJR, especially the suspension. Did think turn in was a bit sluggish, but I understand the front is very sensitive to tire pressure.

Thanks,
Ken
The turn in was a bit sluggish?...are you comparing that to the turn in of your Harley? :lol:

Oh, and welcome to the forum
rauchman loved this
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
rauchman
Squid
FJRModel: 2013 HD Switchback

Post by rauchman »

El Toro Joe wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:37 pm
rauchman wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:27 am Greetings,

Thanks,
Ken
The turn in was a bit sluggish?...are you comparing that to the turn in of your Harley? :lol:

Oh, and welcome to the forum
LOL. After that test ride, getting back on my HD felt a little "weird". Feet out instead of underneath was the big weirdness to get readjusted to. That and the visceral nature of an HD Dyna, vs the electric smooth of the FJR.
wheatonFJR and El Toro Joe loved this
Steel_Gin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2012 FJR1300A

Post by Steel_Gin »

Welcome!! Good luck with your research. You already know which one I would tell you to get. :)

:bowdown:
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

Welcome to the Forum. The FJR is also sensitive to tire types. Get a Dunlop RS3 and the turn in may improve. Metzeler have a rounder profile (circa 2009) and I didn't like them one bit. Also blow them up to 40 to 42 psi.
Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

FJRs are particularly sensitive to tire pressure. Anything below 40 psi makes a difference; anything below 35 psi makes it squirrely.

How do you H-D guys ride with your feet out in front like that? Always made me feel like I'm sliding down the highway on my butt.
Last edited by Uncle Hud on Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

The FJRs are also sensitive to worn tires. Even though my PR2 & PR4 last ~12k miles, the last half of the tire life starts with slower handling and ends up feeling like truck steering.
Steel_Gin and wheatonFJR loved this
Harald
FJRModel: 2020 FJR1300ES

Post by Harald »

rauchman wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:41 pm LOL. After that test ride, getting back on my HD felt a little "weird". Feet out instead of underneath was the big weirdness to get readjusted to. That and the visceral nature of an HD Dyna, vs the electric smooth of the FJR.
Welcome to the forum.
There's always an adjustment with a new bike. I've always ridden sport bikes, except for occasional test rides of other bikes. I still remember the time I helped a guy at work out by picking up a cruiser for him and delivering it to his house so he didn't have to rent a truck to pick it up. He was a new rider and wasn't ready to hit the road. I almost jambed my feet into the ground when I first rode off because I expect pegs to be below me and not way up front. :lol:
wheatonFJR loved this