STS Smart Turn System

Making the FJR yours - what have you done, want to do, plan to do, and how?
User avatar
John d
Casual Rider
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:01 pm
FJRModel: 2008A
x 24
x 11

Re: STS Smart Turn System

Post by John d » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:09 pm

The Allen screw only needs to about a 1/4" longer than any of the OEM fairing panhead acrews.

FJR Kiwi
Squid
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:03 am
FJRModel: 2008
x 1

Re: STS Smart Turn System

Post by FJR Kiwi » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:30 pm

I have just received one for my 2008 FJR, my son built the harness while it was being shipped and we intend to plug and play next weekend. This is the one feature we missed from our BMW K1200RS, but not for much much longer. Can you remember the length and guage of the replacement Allen screw, I would like to obtain one before the weekend if possible. Thanks, Tony Doms NZ.

DesignFlaw06 wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:33 am

The mounting location John showed I didn't think was real clear, but I think I found it. My thought from his picture was that the module needed to be vertical but from STS videos, it needs to be horizontal. I bought the same bracket John did, but I found I could just cut it off and use the 1st hole without drilling a new one. The mounting location is where the headlight assembly attaches to the fairing. This picture is looking up and the bracket is going up first then left. The STS module was mounted with the arrow facing forward down the road. The label side got the other side of the velcro and then we zip tied it from there.
Image
Tony Doms, Tauranga, New Zealand
2008 FJR1300AX - Two Tone Silver and Blue

User avatar
DesignFlaw06
Member
Posts: 218
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:49 am
FJRModel: 2006 FJR1300A
x 20
x 73
Contact:

Re: STS Smart Turn System

Post by DesignFlaw06 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:50 pm

FJR Kiwi wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:30 pm
I have just received one for my 2008 FJR, my son built the harness while it was being shipped and we intend to plug and play next weekend. This is the one feature we missed from our BMW K1200RS, but not for much much longer. Can you remember the length and guage of the replacement Allen screw, I would like to obtain one before the weekend if possible. Thanks, Tony Doms NZ.
I have no idea what I used. Your best bet is to take out the bolt and bring it with you to the hardware store. Get something longer by at least the thickness of your bracket.
2006 Yamaha FJR1300
2002 Honda Nighthawk 750
1985 Honda Nighthawk 250

FJR Kiwi
Squid
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:03 am
FJRModel: 2008
x 1

Re: STS Smart Turn System

Post by FJR Kiwi » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:30 pm

We have installed the device on the bike, everything seems to test OK, except upon installing the foam pieces to the flasher switch units we find that the switch does not make contact and therefore the system is not actuating. We have used the smaller size foams. Any advice would be appreciated.
Tony Doms, Tauranga, New Zealand
2008 FJR1300AX - Two Tone Silver and Blue

User avatar
raYzerman
I post more than I ride
Posts: 1224
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:49 am
FJRModel: 2014 A Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 1983 V65 (for sale)
Location: Millgrove, Ontario, CA
x 41
x 97

Re: STS Smart Turn System

Post by raYzerman » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:06 pm

You will have to use the larger pieces. Using a trick from DesignFlaw, you can drill a small hole through it to soften it up, and if that doesn't work, trim a little off (not much). You should be able to test as you go, the idea is the foam should not be too strong/thick to prevent making contact, and should immediately spring back to neutral.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Veni, Vedi, Velcro... I came, I saw, I stuck to it.

FJR Kiwi
Squid
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:03 am
FJRModel: 2008
x 1

Re: STS Smart Turn System

Post by FJR Kiwi » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:15 pm

Thank you very much, really appreciated.
raYzerman wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:06 pm
You will have to use the larger pieces. Using a trick from DesignFlaw, you can drill a small hole through it to soften it up, and if that doesn't work, trim a little off (not much). You should be able to test as you go, the idea is the foam should not be too strong/thick to prevent making contact, and should immediately spring back to neutral.
Tony Doms, Tauranga, New Zealand
2008 FJR1300AX - Two Tone Silver and Blue

FJR Kiwi
Squid
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:03 am
FJRModel: 2008
x 1

Re: STS Smart Turn System

Post by FJR Kiwi » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:41 pm

Drilled the 5mm holes through the foams, all assembled and functioning perfectly, self cancellers were the one feature I missed from my old Beemer, all good now!
DesignFlaw06 loved this
Tony Doms, Tauranga, New Zealand
2008 FJR1300AX - Two Tone Silver and Blue

FJR Kiwi
Squid
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:03 am
FJRModel: 2008
x 1

Re: STS Smart Turn System

Post by FJR Kiwi » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:05 pm

I have a had couple of decent size rides recently and frankly I am disappointed with the performance of this device which does not perform at the lane changes. I had no such issue with my 1997 BMW K1200RS. I see little point in having this facility if it only does part of the business. Next time the side panel comes off I will decomission the STS.
Tony Doms, Tauranga, New Zealand
2008 FJR1300AX - Two Tone Silver and Blue

User avatar
DesignFlaw06
Member
Posts: 218
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:49 am
FJRModel: 2006 FJR1300A
x 20
x 73
Contact:

Re: STS Smart Turn System

Post by DesignFlaw06 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:58 pm

FJR Kiwi wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:05 pm
I have a had couple of decent size rides recently and frankly I am disappointed with the performance of this device which does not perform at the lane changes. I had no such issue with my 1997 BMW K1200RS. I see little point in having this facility if it only does part of the business. Next time the side panel comes off I will decomission the STS.
My expectations weren't that high I guess. I anticipated the same performance as my truck, which it has. Plus it will only keep the signal on for 20 seconds if I do forget during a lane change. It didn't take long to get used to canceling the same way you activate it.

Honestly before you take it off, you should fire an email off to STS and see what they have to say about it.
2006 Yamaha FJR1300
2002 Honda Nighthawk 750
1985 Honda Nighthawk 250

User avatar
John d
Casual Rider
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:01 pm
FJRModel: 2008A
x 24
x 11

Re: STS Smart Turn System

Post by John d » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:03 pm

FJR Kiwi wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:05 pm
I have a had couple of decent size rides recently and frankly I am disappointed with the performance of this device which does not perform at the lane changes. I had no such issue with my 1997 BMW K1200RS. I see little point in having this facility if it only does part of the business. Next time the side panel comes off I will decomission the STS.
I have said that right from the beginning. I hardly spend any time on the freeways, so it is not an issue for me. It's actually better than my truck.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest