Taking a mirror apart? Possible?

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Taking a mirror apart? Possible?

Post by Festus »

I have two rashed '13 mirrors sitting on my desk. I'm going to fix the rash and repaint. I can tape the mirror and the swivel part that holds the mirror but I was wondering if there's a method to take the mirror and pivoting assembly out. Only thing I see it one small hole in the bottom and that looks like it might be a weap hole?

I'm assuming you have to get the glass out but that doesn't look easy since the seal isn't flexible rubber, but some harder, plastic like seal on the front.

Any ideas?
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Re: Taking a mirror apart? Possible?

Post by FJRoss »

I took the glass out of one but was helped by the crow that flew up out of the ditch and committed suicide on my left mirror. Once the glass was out, I could access the pivot - was able to get the glass replaced by an auto glass place.

You might be able to warm it up and slip the plastic border off the glass. If I remember correctly, the glass is glued to the substrate (but I may be wrong). In any case, the guy cut the glass pretty accurately and we used some sort of sealant as a glue to hold the new glass in place. Smashing the glass out isn't an ideal solution. If you can't get one custom cut you are out of luck - Yamaha doesn't sell just the glass.
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by NTXFJR »

I sanded and repainted my rashed mirrors last year. I did it by pivoting the mirror to one extreme and taped that side of the insert, then rotated it a bit and taped it again until it was taped all the way around.
Bust loved this
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

I've tried like hell to get my mirror out of the broken housing and have been unsuccessful. I just put the whole thing on my desk at work since everyone has a mirror to see when someone walks up behind you and you need to switch from FJRForum to an excel spreadsheet, but mine is cooler.
Uncle Hud loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran

Post by Festus »

Thanks guys. No big deal, would love to get it out but a very easy work around. I’ll tape it up.

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
garauld
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2004

Post by garauld »

The glass is glued to the base. A heat gun may soften it up enough to pry it off but then you have the hassle of re-gluing it. I've painted a bunch of them (not mine!) and I just tape it up good - NBD.
wheatonFJR loved this
Festus
Contributor
Veteran

Post by Festus »

Yeah, exactly what I'm going to do. Was just thinking if it was an easy pop out, I'd do it.