McCrusie - Pre-install question

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
Steel_Gin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2012 FJR1300A

McCrusie - Pre-install question

Post by Steel_Gin »

I am finally at the point where I have saved enough money so I can start planning for the install of a McCruise. If the plan doesn’t go sideways, hopefully the purchase will happen in a couple of months. I have been told the Throttle Servo can be mounted under the gas tank but I have not seen or read of anyone on the forums doing this, only heard about it at gatherings. I have done some searches on the forums using the big G and so far only found install questions and how much people love the McCruise. Good chance I haven’t used the correct words in my search to find what I’m looking for……I’m sure I’m not the first one to do this/try an install like this on a FJR.

Under the tank is about my only option since the remote for the shock is mounted on the frame where they say to install the servo. Under the seat isn’t an option since the fuzeblock is located where they say to put it. Plus I would like to leave under the seat open as possible to store a pump and a few other emergency items…..oh yeah, the brain has to go under the seat in the back.

I assume securing the servo under the tank to something solid is pretty easy, attach it to one of the bolts on the T-bar, yes?? But is there room for it?? What about the heat? It would sit above the heat shield, right? Has anyone done this and have some pictures they can share? Is below the handlebar location on the left an issue for the switch, does it miss the tank when the handlebars are fully turned? I'd like to think it doesn't touch or it wouldn't be an option.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Re: McCrusie - Pre-install question

Post by raYzerman »

Give them a call and see what the dimensions of the servo are.... IIRC, rather small, and much smaller than the Audiovox. I have seen Audiovox's servo under the t-bar front portion... betting money the McCruise will fit there also (above the insulation pad). It does not have to be nailed down into place, it isn't going anywhere, but should also not flop around. Piece of velcro should do it.
If it will fit on the left footpeg stay area, why wouldn't it fit on the right?..... I'd try that before under the tank as my personal preference.
Control mounting will be a personal preference. I'd go above the switch myself. Make a bracket and use the threaded hole on the left bar. I did that for the Audiovox on my '07.
https://www.mccruise.com/collections/ya ... 0029537988
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Auburn
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006

Post by Auburn »

My McCruise servo/control box is sitting under the T-Bar, and under the insulation pad. Been there for about 10 years, no issues. The only maintenance I have done is to lube the cable and cable interface assembly. Just take your time and read and reread the directions. They are very good, but you have to follow it line by line or yo will miss a step. My vacuum assembly is mounted to the front of the bike, just under the battery box. I drilled and tapped two holes in the frame so secure it. I didn't want to use up the space under the seat.

hopefully photofucket will allow the image to show.

The cable interface unit is under the McCruise servo/controller unit. (NOTE: I have the pair block off system installed)

The biggest PIA was getting the short cable installed on the throttle bodies w/o pulling the throttle bodies.

I had an issue when I was doing the diagnostic test after the install to calibrate it. A sent them an email, (remember they are in Australia) so I got an answer a day later, it turned out I had to switch the leads on one of the sensors because polarity matters for their system.

It has been great system.
get out and ride! IBA #54706
Steel_Gin
Veteran

Post by Steel_Gin »

Thanks guys. I did think about mounting it on the right side, I wouldn’t mind it there. Since I hadn’t seen that as an option I assumed the cable wouldn’t be long enough. I will email them and ask if that is an option.

Since the servo is what holds the throttle open I thought it would need something more than Velcro to secure it because of the torque. I will ask them about that in addition to about mounting under the tank and get the dimensions.

Auburn, thanks for the pictures. Very helpful. Fortunately, since your install it looks like there isn’t a vacuum pump anymore, one less thing to figure out where will that go. The control unit/computer/brain you mounted under the tank. How well did that work with the wiring they sent with the system? Did you have to lengthen many of the wires?
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Wouldn't the servo be similar to others such as Audiovox, the cable pull is against the ends of the cable and whatever bracket/holder they are installed into. Servo could flop all over, would not matter. Once you have it in your hands, you'll be able to see it. McCruise says, call us before ordering and we'll give you the installation instructions (can't download).
As for the brain unit, I'd keep it away from the heat.
Steel_Gin
Veteran

Post by Steel_Gin »

Been emailing McCrusie asking questions. Here are the answers I received.

Can the servo be mounted on the right side? Possibly, they would have to look into it a little more. Their biggest concern would be the routing of the cable and it being accurate at holding speed. They believe the extra bends the cable would take mounting on the right side isn't a good idea. In addition to that, they would send a longer cable, I would have to cut it to the needed length and install the ends on the cable.

I asked about mounting under the tank and what the dimensions are of the servo? "No space at all under the gas tank and as you get forward the heat of the exhaust headers becomes an issue." They didn't give me the dimensions of the servo.

So my thought is I won't mount the servo on the right side because of the possible issue of holding speed and extra work with the cable. Keeping it "factory" as much as possible is probably a smarter way to go. Looks like I'll be adding flipping my shock around to the Tech Day list. And under the tank is off the table.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

I will kinda say, mounting it on the right should be a mirror of the left. Same routing only on that side.... should not be any extra bends at all... same length of cable.... I am assuming of course that the cable leaves the servo, goes straight ahead (more or less) and loops back to the TB's (as does Audiovox), whether it be left or right.. I think you'll be OK doing that. Putting the servo under the tank means you'll have alot of extra cable.... would have to loop somewhere, like maybe up around the steering head and back, or an extra circle (ok if smooth).
Once you have this thing in your hands, it'll be a no-brainer sorta maybe.
Steel_Gin
Veteran

Post by Steel_Gin »

I thought the same thing until they talked about the extra bends in the cable and then the light bulb went on that the ABS is on that side. So you don't think the ABS would case extra bends in the cable?
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

There's only one way you're going to find out, that is when you have it in your hand. Judging by their photo, cable points down (must curve back somewhere), will go along the frame and loop into the engine compartment (my guess, at valve cover level). Below or through the ABS piping? You'll likely be able to do either.\ IMHO..... best talk more when you have it.

Steel_Gin loved this
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

While not the McCruise, this is where my Audiovox servo lived for 110,000 happy miles. If the cable is long enough there is nothing wrong with this location.

(Hmmm, look at that sissy chicken stripe, there was still plenty of tread left before the sidewall. Never noticed that before.)
Steel_Gin loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

ionbeam wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:09 pm (Hmmm, look at that sissy chicken stripe, there was still plenty of tread left before the sidewall. Never noticed that before.)
Hmmmmm. maybe it has something to do with the Metzlers ya got on there??

Or maybe those aren't chicken strips. Maybe those are responsibility strips, with Helen on the back. Or maybe, just maybe, those are strips showing that your body lean and posture are positioned just right so the bike doesn't have to lean any farther as you go +30 in the curve. Yeah, that's it.

Cruise Control...it's called your right hand.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Auburn
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006

Post by Auburn »

Steel_Gin wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 2:04 pm Thanks guys. I did think about mounting it on the right side, I wouldn’t mind it there. Since I hadn’t seen that as an option I assumed the cable wouldn’t be long enough. I will email them and ask if that is an option.

Since the servo is what holds the throttle open I thought it would need something more than Velcro to secure it because of the torque. I will ask them about that in addition to about mounting under the tank and get the dimensions.
Auburn, thanks for the pictures. Very helpful. Fortunately, since your install it looks like there isn’t a vacuum pump anymore, one less thing to figure out where will that go. The control unit/computer/brain you mounted under the tank. How well did that work with the wiring they sent with the system? Did you have to lengthen many of the wires?
All of the wiring you see around it is the extra cable length they provided. I tucked most of it in front of the valve cover and the plastic above the exhaust headers. Works great
get out and ride! IBA #54706
LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

wheatonFJR wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:37 am
ionbeam wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:09 pm (Hmmm, look at that sissy chicken stripe, there was still plenty of tread left before the sidewall. Never noticed that before.)
Hmmmmm. maybe it has something to do with the Metzlers ya got on there??

Or maybe those aren't chicken strips. Maybe those are responsibility strips, with Helen on the back. Or maybe, just maybe, those are strips showing that your body lean and posture are positioned just right so the bike doesn't have to lean any farther as you go +30 in the curve. Yeah, that's it.

Cruise Control...it's called your right hand.
This coming from a guy with a '13. :lol:
wheatonFJR loved this
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
silverback
Veteran
FJRModel: 2005

Re: RE: Re: McCrusie - Pre-install question

Post by silverback »

wheatonFJR wrote:Cruise Control...it's called your right hand.
Unless your right hand is tired from other activities.

-------------

The cable will get more drag with tighter and more bends. Long large radius bends shouldn't be an issue. Adding this kind of "stuff" to a bike is always a challenge.

I had a Rostra on my 07 and it was a pain to find a place to mount the box. I think I eventually went under the seat.

The next PITA was connecting the cable to the throttle. I imagine the McCruise has a better solution because it isn't a car adaptation. Anyway, be sure it is smooth and any slack in the cable is protected from hanging up on stuff.

I am not sure if the McCruise comes with a quality switch or not, butI used one of there on the 07 because the audiovox/Rostra switches are utterly shit.

https://www.amazon.com/Trail-Tech-8500- ... B001AWFNRM

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

There's just too much what the f@$k in this thread to know where to begin...
--BikerGeek
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Another solution to the switch issue was to install two mini toggle switches in the left switch housing.. one ON/OFF, one momentary On/Off/On.