OBD Adapter Harness (FJR's 2016 and newer)

The Technical Library sub forum will contain how-to and reference articles for all generations of the FJR1300.
Forum rules
13.B - For tech library threads, same approach as the merchandise threads – all posts will be related to the tech library topic – questions about the topic, posts adding to the topic from a technical perspective, etc. Any posts outside of those will be deleted by forum moderators or admins.
raYzerman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 A Root Beer, 2009 CBF1000A

OBD Adapter Harness (FJR's 2016 and newer)

Post by raYzerman » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:09 pm

The OBD Adapter Harnesses (FJR's 2016 and later only) I posted about some time ago, are now becoming available.

Product Description : The adapter harness is a common OBD2 harness with a 16-way female connector to accept a standard OBD2 Code Reader (see post 2 for details). Assembled to it is the Yamaha 4-way connector into which one plugs the bike's OBD port connector, possibly used on other 2016+ Yamaha motorcycles? Heavy duty double-wall-with-glue Marine grade shrink tubing protects the small gauge wiring. You might say 'extrememarine' grade. 8-) Instructions for setup and use will be available for download when you order.

FJR’s prior to 2016 had access to diagnostics (DiAG) via the instrument cluster, but 2016 and up now use On Board Diagnostics (OBD). This normally requires the dealer’s computer, but diagnostic codes can be read using an OBD2 Code Reader. The dealer’s computer will have additional capabilities, e.g., Service Bulletin software/firmware upgrades released by Yamaha, etc.

You will also need:
1. An OBD2 Code Reader of the desired type, either WiFi or Bluetooth for Android, or one compatible with iOS (WiFi), and an App for your tablet/smartphone. These are inexpensive and can be ordered on eBay, again see post 2. It is less expensive for you to order it and have it likely shipped free to your door, but be aware of the delivery times from offshore, i.e., if you intend to order the harness, order your reader in advance.
2. An Application (app) to display to display the diagnostic information sent by the OBD2 Code Reader. There are several apps available, but a simple functional app, Torque Pro (~$5 paid version), is adequate for most diagnostics. Torque Lite (free) is not adequate. This can be downloaded and installed to your phone or tablet, ensure compatibility with Android or iOS. If there are those more experienced with OBD2 readers who might be able to recommend other apps, comments are welcome.

The OBD Test Harness is now available for purchase in the FJRiders.com store here. Don't forget to add the instructions PDF to your cart as well - free PDF download.

Additional Ordering Information:
US orders can be placed at the above link. Price is U$20 plus $5 shipping by USPS, payment by Paypal. Shipping will be combined if also ordering the ABS test harness.
Note - If you are Canadian (Billing Address) and have a US Shipping Address, we're working on making that functional. Price as above.

Canadian (or other) orders with a non-US Shipping Address must be placed manually. Price is C$27 plus ~$15 shipping by Canada Post to Canadian addresses (may be less, clarifying with CP). Send me a PM with your email address for further info and delivery options. If you can combine an order with a local buddy, that may save shipping. Instruction sheets also available by email.

Last edited by raYzerman on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
FJRPittsburgh, NTXFJR, bungie4 and 5 others loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.

raYzerman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 A Root Beer, 2009 CBF1000A

Re: OBD Adapter Harness (FJR's 2016 and newer)

Post by raYzerman » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:13 pm

OBD2 Code Readers:

Many are commonly available, and you need to choose which device and it's operating system. Choices are:

Android - for tablets and phones, can be Bluetooth or WiFi
USB - for laptops and computers (check to see if iOS compatable or computer app available)
iOS - for tablets and phones. Must be WiFi, and it is recommended you choose one where the seller says iOS compatible.

Other than iOS, either Bluetooth or Wifi are equally as good once connected. Once initially connected and configured, they both re-connect subsequent times just fine. I like the WiFi units, but only because I'm not a Bluetooth fan, no other valid reason than that. Most commonly use ELM327 firmware, except handheld units with integrated displays (more expensive). Choose mini, medium or larger, they all work the same, packaged in a different case. Some include a mini-CD software disc, which you may need for the USB version. Tablets and phones use a downloadable app.

Many sellers offshore, and several here onshore who resell, lots of choices on eBay, just search for OBD Code Reader and you'll get 10 pages. I have provided a couple of current links here to those who have multiple configurations. The mini's are nice and small, harder to find a WiFi one.

Note, you can use these on any vehicle with a 16 port connector, using the same Torque Pro app I've mentioned. OBD has been around for a while. Real time OBD data displayed on a tablet is quite good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ELM327-V2-1-V1 ... rk:28:pf:0
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ELM327-WiFi-OB ... rk:60:pf:0
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ELM327-WiFi-Bl ... :rk:2:pf:0

LKLD, Hack, and wheatonFJR loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.

Hack
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by Hack » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:02 pm

I've got the mini...
Works as advertised.
Coupled with the Torque app (paid version) it provides a plethora of data when hooked up to the fjr using Ray's cable...
I also used it to identify a failed O2 sensor on my F150
I drank what..?
-Socrates

bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES

Post by bill lumberg » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:28 pm

I’m buying one of every cable ray sells or specs. As soon as I can get my hands on them.
CollingsBob loved this
No commercials. No dictators.
www.fjriders.com

IBA #69560

extrememarine
HMFIC
Veteran
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:38 pm

Same notice about off topic discussion here - keep it on track and related to the the OBD adaptor harness - how it works, how to use it, how to purchase it, etc.

Everything else will be deleted at our discretion.

And Thank You Ray, for putting these together for the community.

Wayne
Cav47 loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero

bungie4
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:17 pm

Nice job Ray.

I might suggest an alternative to the Phone apps for a OBDII reader, I have an UltraGuage in my truck, I've had it for years and used in all my vehicles. Its also available in wireless versions now.

I have mine mounted on my heating duct in the truck which means it gets alternately frozen and baked in the winter time. No problems whatsoever.

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Note: The FJR1300ES offers a significant level of power & performance. It is not intended for novice or inexperienced riders.
Choo choo mf'r.

extrememarine
HMFIC
Veteran

Post by extrememarine » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:00 pm

Post 1 updated - OBD adapter harness is available for purchase in the FJRiders.com store.
The OBD Test Harness is now available for purchase in the FJRiders.com store here. Don't forget to add the instructions PDF to your cart as well - free PDF download.
Ride There!

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero

extrememarine
HMFIC
Veteran

Post by extrememarine » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:21 pm

First wave of orders are packed and ready for the Post Office tomorrow!
Ride There!

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero

extrememarine
HMFIC
Veteran

Post by extrememarine » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:20 pm

Update - 3/11/19 - All pending orders have been filled and shipped today!

Inventory will be updated as well, but we have both the ABS test harness and OBD adapter cables in stock.

Wayne
Ride There!

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero