OBD Adapter Harness (FJR's 2016 and newer)

The Technical Library sub forum will contain how-to and reference articles for all generations of the FJR1300.
Forum rules
13.B - For tech library threads, same approach as the merchandise threads – all posts will be related to the tech library topic – questions about the topic, posts adding to the topic from a technical perspective, etc. Any posts outside of those will be deleted by forum moderators or admins.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

OBD Adapter Harness (FJR's 2016 and newer)

Post by raYzerman »

The OBD Adapter Harnesses (FJR's 2016 and later only) I posted about some time ago, are now becoming available.

Product Description : The adapter harness is a common OBD2 harness with a 16-way female connector to accept a standard OBD2 Code Reader (see post 2 for details). Assembled to it is the Yamaha 4-way connector into which one plugs the bike's OBD port connector, possibly used on other 2016+ Yamaha motorcycles? Heavy duty double-wall-with-glue Marine grade shrink tubing protects the small gauge wiring. You might say 'extrememarine' grade. 8-) Instructions for setup and use will be available for download when you order.

FJR’s prior to 2016 had access to diagnostics (DiAG) via the instrument cluster, but 2016 and up now use On Board Diagnostics (OBD). This normally requires the dealer’s computer, but diagnostic codes can be read using an OBD2 Code Reader. The dealer’s computer will have additional capabilities, e.g., Service Bulletin software/firmware upgrades released by Yamaha, etc.

You will also need:
1. An OBD2 Code Reader of the desired type, either WiFi or Bluetooth for Android, or one compatible with iOS (WiFi), and an App for your tablet/smartphone. These are inexpensive and can be ordered on eBay, again see post 2. It is less expensive for you to order it and have it likely shipped free to your door, but be aware of the delivery times from offshore, i.e., if you intend to order the harness, order your reader in advance.
2. An Application (app) to display to display the diagnostic information sent by the OBD2 Code Reader. There are several apps available, but a simple functional app, Torque Pro (~$5 paid version), is adequate for most diagnostics. Torque Lite (free) is not adequate. This can be downloaded and installed to your phone or tablet, ensure compatibility with Android or iOS. If there are those more experienced with OBD2 readers who might be able to recommend other apps, comments are welcome.

The OBD Test Harness is now available for purchase in the FJRiders.com store here. Don't forget to add the instructions PDF to your cart as well - free PDF download.
PLEASE NOTE - The OBD harness is no longer for sale on this site. There are several ebay listings from Chinese suppliers and there is a veteran in Texas making them, do an ebay search for "Yamaha OBD2 4 pin cable" and you'll find his listings... as of today, 5-21-2020, price is U$13.49. One of his current listings is:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-OBD2-4- ... GTR=1#shId

Additional Ordering Information:
US orders can be placed at the above link. Price is U$20 plus $5 shipping by USPS, payment by Paypal. Shipping will be combined if also ordering the ABS test harness.
Note - If you are Canadian (Billing Address) and have a US Shipping Address, we're working on making that functional. Price as above.

Canadian (or other) orders with a non-US Shipping Address must be placed manually. Price is C$27 plus ~$15 shipping by Canada Post to Canadian addresses (may be less, clarifying with CP). Send me a PM with your email address for further info and delivery options. If you can combine an order with a local buddy, that may save shipping. Instruction sheets also available by email.

If you need the instruction sheets, I can email them to you by request.

Last edited by raYzerman on Thu May 21, 2020 11:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
CollingsBob, FJRPittsburgh, NTXFJR and 6 others loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Re: OBD Adapter Harness (FJR's 2016 and newer)

Post by raYzerman »

OBD2 Code Readers:

Many are commonly available, and you need to choose which device and it's operating system. Choices are:

Android - for tablets and phones, can be Bluetooth or WiFi
USB - for laptops and computers (check to see if iOS compatable or computer app available)
iOS - for tablets and phones. Must be WiFi, and it is recommended you choose one where the seller says iOS compatible.

Other than iOS, either Bluetooth or Wifi are equally as good once connected. Once initially connected and configured, they both re-connect subsequent times just fine. I like the WiFi units, but only because I'm not a Bluetooth fan, no other valid reason than that. Most commonly use ELM327 firmware, except handheld units with integrated displays (more expensive). Choose mini, medium or larger, they all work the same, packaged in a different case. Some include a mini-CD software disc, which you may need for the USB version. Tablets and phones use a downloadable app.

Many sellers offshore, and several here onshore who resell, lots of choices on eBay, just search for OBD Code Reader and you'll get 10 pages. I have provided a couple of current links here to those who have multiple configurations. The mini's are nice and small, harder to find a WiFi one.

Note, you can use these on any vehicle with a 16 port connector, using the same Torque Pro app I've mentioned. OBD has been around for a while. Real time OBD data displayed on a tablet is quite good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ELM327-V2-1-V1 ... rk:28:pf:0
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ELM327-WiFi-OB ... rk:60:pf:0
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ELM327-WiFi-Bl ... :rk:2:pf:0

LKLD, Hack, and wheatonFJR loved this
Hack
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by Hack »

I've got the mini...
Works as advertised.
Coupled with the Torque app (paid version) it provides a plethora of data when hooked up to the fjr using Ray's cable...
I also used it to identify a failed O2 sensor on my F150
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

I’m buying one of every cable ray sells or specs. As soon as I can get my hands on them.
CollingsBob loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

Same notice about off topic discussion here - keep it on track and related to the the OBD adaptor harness - how it works, how to use it, how to purchase it, etc.

Everything else will be deleted at our discretion.

And Thank You Ray, for putting these together for the community.

Wayne
Cav47 loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

Nice job Ray.

I might suggest an alternative to the Phone apps for a OBDII reader, I have an UltraGuage in my truck, I've had it for years and used in all my vehicles. Its also available in wireless versions now.

I have mine mounted on my heating duct in the truck which means it gets alternately frozen and baked in the winter time. No problems whatsoever.

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

Post 1 updated - OBD adapter harness is available for purchase in the FJRiders.com store.
The OBD Test Harness is now available for purchase in the FJRiders.com store here. Don't forget to add the instructions PDF to your cart as well - free PDF download.
Ride There!

IBA#60836

extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

First wave of orders are packed and ready for the Post Office tomorrow!
Ride There!

IBA#60836

extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

Update - 3/11/19 - All pending orders have been filled and shipped today!

Inventory will be updated as well, but we have both the ABS test harness and OBD adapter cables in stock.

Wayne
Ride There!

IBA#60836

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Note post #1 updated to reflect no longer for sale here but can be obtained elsewhere.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Adding the instructions for use.

OBD Adapter Harness (2016 and up FJR1300)

FJR’s prior to 2016 had access to diagnostics (DiAG) via the instrument cluster, but 2016 and up now use On Board Diagnostics (OBD). This normally requires the dealer’s computer, but diagnostic codes can be read using an OBD Code Reader. The dealer’s computer will have additional capabilities, e.g., Service Bulletin software/firmware upgrades released by Yamaha, etc.
You will also need:
• An OBD2 Code Reader of the desired type, either WiFi or Bluetooth for Android, or one compatible with iOS (WiFi). These are inexpensive and can be ordered on eBay or other sources. When ordering for iOS, ensure it states iOS compatible (WiFi). If a USB type is desired for a laptop or computer, those are also available.
• An Application (app) to display to display the diagnostic information sent by the OBD2 Code Reader. There are several apps available, but a simple functional app, Torque Pro (~$5 paid version), is adequate for most diagnostics. Torque Lite (free) is not adequate. This can be downloaded and installed to your phone or tablet, ensure compatibility with Android or iOS. Other apps may be available. Download and install the app to your phone or tablet.

1. Plug your OBD reader into the OBD adapter harness. Locate the 4-way OBD connector port stored at the rear of the seat tray, and remove the protective cap. Note, the Red/Green wire is live and powered at all times via the Electronic Throttle Valve fuse. Plug in the adapter harness. An indicator light will come on in the OBD Reader, indicating the unit is now powered. Also note, leaving the OBD Reader plugged in will have a parasitic draw on the battery when Ignition is OFF or ON with engine not running.
2. Open your phone/tablet’s Connection settings and enable WiFi or Bluetooth to suit the OBD reader. At some point during connection, you may be prompted for a 4 digit password, either 1234 or 0000.
3. Open the Torque Pro app, and configure the connection type for the OBD Code Reader being used, i.e., WiFi or Bluetooth or USB. Note, initial communication between the Code Reader and your device may take some time. You will need to set the communication type and pair/connect with the OBD Code Reader. Scroll clockwise to the Adapter Status icon, and the next screen will show adapter status and type of connection. To change connection type, use the upper right icon, choose Settings, OBD2 Adapter Settings, Connection Type. Enable WiFi or Bluetooth.
4. Return to Adapter Status Information screen, and if the connection type is not correct, close and restart Torque Pro. Connection type should now be correct, and establish communication with your OBD Reader.
5. A Vehicle Profile must also be set in the Torque Pro app. Back to Adapter Status Information screen, Settings, Vehicle Profile. Enter a Name for your vehicle. Note this can be used with any vehicle having a 16 pin OBD2 port or with an appropriate adapter harness.
6. Once connection is established, return to the Torque home screen. Multiple LED’s should flash on the OBD Reader if so equipped. If you have not already started your vehicle, do so now and tap Realtime Information to view various information such as RPM, Throttle Position, Speed, Coolant Temperature, etc. Scroll sideways to view additional screens, or a blank screen where you can add or configure screens via the bar icon at the bottom left, or reset the screens back to the defaults.
7. To view fault codes, on the home screen tap the Fault Code icon. If any show, use the fault code descriptions in the Yamaha Service Manual (Sec. 9), repair the condition(s) as necessary and when satisfied, you can clear the code. It is advisable to restart the bike and re-check that no codes returned.
8. Note, if your device becomes out of range, it may not reconnect without restarting the Torque Pro app.
fontanaman, Dan Cooper, and CollingsBob loved this
SkooterG
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004 X 2, 2009 X 2, 2013 X2, 2014, 2017, 2023...... I have issues!

Post by SkooterG »

Much thanks for the always useful information Ray! I just went to Amazon to buy one and one of the comments said that as of 2021, Yamaha has gone from a 4-pin to 6 pin connector. Can anyone verify that?
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

IBA #327

'04 FJR -- '09 FJR -- '13 FJR -- '14 FJR ES -- '17 FJR ES - What can I say? I have issues!
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Sorry Skooter, I just saw this..... I do not know if they went to a 6-pin..... check the OBD harness that should be at the rear of the seat tray and has a rubber plug over it, clipped to right rear of seat tray...... unless dealer didn't put it back where it belongs.

As for the Texas veteran guy selling harnesses, I think he quit as the Chinese are now selling them for like $6.
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2024 BMW R1300 GS

Post by CollingsBob »

I’ll have a harness and a OBD reader for sale shortly..