What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by bill lumberg »

I perpetrated helimodified love. My brother was nice enough to come and make sure it went smoothly. This is the second FJR he’s helped me install these on. Very happy to have them installed.
gixxerjasen and wheatonFJR loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

Moved it out of it's wresting spot, checked the tire pressure in anticipation of riding to work on Wednesday.
Last edited by El Toro Joe on Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
bill lumberg loved this
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

Yesterday when I got home from work I changed oil, oil filter, and FD oil. Rode to work this morning, 16 degrees on the way in but once again the heated liner and gloves are the shizzle! Day 632 consecutive. I actually passed someone on a Harley headed the opposite direction today. Funny how around here the HD guys never wave when the weather is nice but now that it's cold out.......
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

BkerChuck wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:56 am Yesterday when I got home from work I changed oil, oil filter, and FD oil. Rode to work this morning, 16 degrees on the way in but once again the heated liner and gloves are the shizzle! Day 632 consecutive. I actually passed someone on a Harley headed the opposite direction today. Funny how around here the HD guys never wave when the weather is nice but now that it's cold out.......
A few years back on the way to EOM, I hit some flurries just south of home. I saw exactly one bike that day, a 'big cruiser' going northbound. I waved at him. He didn't wave back. I'm pretty sure he was deep in the depths of hypothermia with his beanie and fingerless gloves. He sure looked like he was frozen cockstiff.

Mind you, ppl were looking at me from their cars and trucks the same way. I was fine, just miserable.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
Harald
FJRModel: 2020 FJR1300ES

Post by Harald »

BkerChuck wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:56 am Rode to work this morning, 16 degrees on the way in
But your FJR temp display still showed 17, didn't it? :x

For some reason Yamaha never figured us crazy fools would ride in temps below 17, so that's the lowest it will read. I was really bummed a few years ago when it was 12 outside, but I thought I didn't set a new low record for myself because the FJR only displayed 17. Hoping to get in the single digits one day. :twisted:
BkerChuck
Veteran

Post by BkerChuck »

No it showed 16. IIRC the range is 16-122. It was definitely 16 this morning! On that I'm quite sure.
Harald loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
jwilly
Site Admin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by jwilly »

The sky is falling Atlanta weather forecasters had everyone in a panic about Black Ice for today, schools delayed 2 hours. So of course I rode to work today. I'm not a meteorologist but I'm pretty sure freezing is still 32f. Was 35 when i left home and 40 when i got to the office.
gixxerjasen and El Toro Joe loved this
I’d be more than happy to swear under oath that having watched you ride for many, many miles, there is no way in hell you could be speeding through those curves. -0face
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

^^^^^ Throwing caution to the wind!
jwilly loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

jwilly wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:22 pm The sky is falling Atlanta weather forecasters had everyone in a panic about Black Ice for today, schools delayed 2 hours. So of course I rode to work today. I'm not a meteorologist but I'm pretty sure freezing is still 32f. Was 35 when i left home and 40 when i got to the office.
Jwilly,

Man, black ice is a killer. Usually you can't even stand still on black ice, let alone walk or ride. It happens when rain falls through too-cold air, and that rain does not freeze in mid-air, but it becomes super-cooled. It instantly freezes when it hits the road, instead, becoming smooth wet ice. It can happen above freezing temperatures, at ground level, when the air higher above is colder. Air is normally colder, as you go higher. Sounds like you missed it, where you were, but black ice is nothing to sneeze at. I saw a video once of a weatherman standing still on the freeway, without moving his feet, and sliding sideways off the road at one mph. He could not stop himself, or do anything but wait, until he got to the shoulder gravel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7-ojGMimsA
jwilly loved this
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

Yip. Red called it. Being from Igloomikfuktuk, I'm something of an expert on stupid weather on the cold end of the spectrum. Why just today, it was -3C (below freezing) and yet it was raining, then, freezing on the road. Not quite the same thing, and, far more common.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran

Post by El Toro Joe »

Rode it to work...26 when I left the house
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Re: RE: Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by extrememarine »

jwilly wrote:The sky is falling Atlanta weather forecasters had everyone in a panic about Black Ice for today, schools delayed 2 hours. So of course I rode to work today. I'm not a meteorologist but I'm pretty sure freezing is still 32f. Was 35 when i left home and 40 when i got to the office.
You e had that bike for what, a year now? Definitely time to smash it up and get a new one...

Sent from the Tapatalk app...

jwilly and El Toro Joe loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran

Post by El Toro Joe »

extrememarine wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:28 am
jwilly wrote:The sky is falling Atlanta weather forecasters had everyone in a panic about Black Ice for today, schools delayed 2 hours. So of course I rode to work today. I'm not a meteorologist but I'm pretty sure freezing is still 32f. Was 35 when i left home and 40 when i got to the office.
You e had that bike for what, a year now? Definitely time to smash it up and get a new one...

jwilly loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

El Toro Joe wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:31 am
extrememarine wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:28 am

Smart aleck.
jwilly and El Toro Joe loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Harald
FJRModel: 2020 FJR1300ES

Post by Harald »

Rode it to work for the last time. :!:

I actually have one more work day after today before I retire, but tomorrow I'll need to drive the truck to bring my Rollaway toolbox home along with almost 30 years of accumulated crap I have here at work.

I was actually thinking that I could take the rollway home on the bike if I absolutely had to. I would probably have needed to start taking tools home last week to reduce the weight of the bottom and top box. Then I'd have to make a rack to support one of the 2 boxes at a time on the rear seat/rear rack. (Insert picture from some Asian country of a guy on a scooter with his whole family and some farm animals :lol: ). Or maybe I could do something like this:

On second thought, I'll just bring in the truck. :D

I haven't run the numbers, but I've been commuting on this FJR almost daily since I bought it new at the end of 2007. There's 137,000 miles on the odo this week and a normal work week of 4 days adds at least 200 miles per week. Deducting for vacations and rare truck days, it's probably about 9000 miles per year.

Commute time to work is still around 30 minutes, but that has required leaving earlier and earlier as the years have gone by (I start at 5am now but used to start at 7am). You would not believe how much traffic is on the roads at 4:30am around here because people are trying to beat traffic (not unusual for traffic to come to a complete stop at that time on the freeway!). Going home is really ugly with commute time approaching 1 hour and sometimes more. The FJR does save a lot of time with it's small size (relative to a car) and brutal acceleration allowing for passing slow pokes, slicing gaps in traffic and free entry into car pool lanes.

Oh, look at the time. I'm supposed to be working and better get back to it. :P
gixxerjasen, NTXFJR, Hppants and 5 others loved this
BkerChuck
Veteran

Post by BkerChuck »

^ Congrats on the pending retirement! Color me jealous.
Harald loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

One of the best things I found when retarded is the lack of commute. I love my 6 Saturday and 1 Sunday weekends now.
Harald loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Prestone
FJRModel: 2016

Post by Prestone »

raYzerman wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:24 pm One of the best things I found when retarded is the lack of commute. I love my 6 Saturday and 1 Sunday weekends now.
Retarded? I think they have short busses for that.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Prestone wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:32 pm
raYzerman wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:24 pm One of the best things I found when retarded is the lack of commute. I love my 6 Saturday and 1 Sunday weekends now.
Retarded? I think they have short busses for that.
There isn't a bus short enuf for Ray. JSNS!
Prestone loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

Today, I tried installing the 2016 and up, Plug and Play adapter from admore. I had their light bar on my 2014. So I ordered the new version so I could put that bar on my 2018. When I pulled the left panel, the connectors were in the same place as they were on the 2014, with the same bend. But nothing matched up with the connectors on the 2016+ admore harness. I was baffled.
jwilly loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES