ES fork and shock rebuilds

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
griff
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 ES

ES fork and shock rebuilds

Post by griff »

With 115K on my 14 ES, I figger the rear shock needs some freshening up. The problem is, I haven't found anyone who rebuilds the FJR ES rear shock. Traxxion says they haven't, but would love to take a crack at mine :lol: What they say folks do is put a good aftermarket shock on, which unfortunately neuters the ES function. Any know of any rebuild gurus that can handle the ES rear shock?
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Re: ES fork and shock rebuilds

Post by bungie4 »

Good question. Something I've considered. I'm guessing the most cost effective route would be to buy a used ES shock from one of them upgraders.
Good job on the 115K too! You beast.
Uncle Hud loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

The Beemer Crowd, those with the Beemer ESA, claim this guy is "The Guru". I have no personal experience but he seems "qualified" on paper anyway.

http://www.beemershop.com/Ted_Porters_B ... ation.html
El Toro Joe and wheatonFJR loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
griff
Veteran

Post by griff »

bigjohnsd wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:00 am The Beemer Crowd, those with the Beemer ESA, claim this guy is "The Guru". I have no personal experience but he seems "qualified" on paper anyway.

http://www.beemershop.com/Ted_Porters_B ... ation.html

Thanks John. I'll check them out.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Partshark wants ….. get this..... $2,7xx.00 for a complete replacement shock assy!! That's utterly ridiculous. Doesn't look like you can buy the shock absorber as an individual part, although you can get other parts within the shock assembly separately. Holy cow - that's not a good idea.

Ebay has a couple for around $400.00 a pop. Strong money and there is no telling how worn they are, although chances are, they don't have 115K on them.

Maybe buy the used one and give Traxxion an opportunity to learn/design something for it, with the understanding that yours is free? Surely the aftermarket knows how much Yammie wants for an OEM replacement, and as such, that opens up a competitive market for them?

This is a good topic for a thread.
CollingsBob, El Toro Joe, and wheatonFJR loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

griff
Veteran

Post by griff »

Hppants wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:33 am Maybe buy the used one and give Traxxion an opportunity to learn/design something for it, with the understanding that yours is free? Surely the aftermarket knows how much Yammie wants for an OEM replacement, and as such, that opens up a competitive market for them?
I talked to Traxxion about this and they would love to experiment on the ES shock. I also talked with Cogent Dynamics up in Asheville, NC and they have done some work on ES shocks (I think primarily beemers). They tend to shy away from these ES shocks because Todd at Cogent said that potentially trying to rebuild the ES shock might make it unoperable, but they would love to take a crack at a well used shock. Maybe I need to have this shock fail under the YES warranty and get a new one :D
El Toro Joe loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

A shock rebuild or refresh usually consists of inspecting the shaft for wear, replacing the seals and recharging the nitrogen.... mostly universal parts available for that. An ES just adds a stepper motor or two that perform adjustments... get that removed and I'm not seeing how to make that "inoperable" after a rebuild (but he may know something I don't)... I would also send you to Cogent or Traxxion or the beemer place.....
PM incoming, I have a lead on a used one for ya.

You could always rip out the entire package and put in an Ohlins ES package.... oh wait, that would be some undertaking and lotsa cash.....

As for the front end, we already know how to fork that up.......
Last edited by raYzerman on Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
bungie4
I post more than I ride

Post by bungie4 »

griff wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:59 am Maybe I need to have this shock fail under the YES warranty and get a new one :D
Take any sweet jumps lately?
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
Allen_C
Veteran

Post by Allen_C »

Hppants wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:33 am Partshark wants ….. get this..... $2,7xx.00 for a complete replacement shock assy!! That's utterly ridiculous. Doesn't look like you can buy the shock absorber as an individual part, although you can get other parts within the shock assembly separately. Holy cow - that's not a good idea.

Ebay has a couple for around $400.00 a pop. Strong money and there is no telling how worn they are, although chances are, they don't have 115K on them.
I believe the retail price on a new assembly is over $3,300! Many of us knew that when buying our '14ES when they were new and that's why most opted for the YES plan just in case. Turns out, the oem rear shock was not prone to many issues (Preston of course is an exception) and getting 60k, 80k or in Griff's case over 110k miles from them is routine!
Naturally air conditioned since 1979
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

Yes, I opted for YES. The first time I have ever purchased an extended warranty for anything. ES was a tipping point (and a Gen 1 CCT failure got me to even contemplate YES in the first place). I consider YES to be a relatively inexpensive insurance policy for ~$120/year ($10/mo). It's a race to see if YES expires before the suspension expires :)
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

I'd be interested in knowing if YES would pay for a shock that "failed" due to normal wear and tear. Not talking about one that is leaking, or the stepper motor quit working, or anything of the sort. Just one that, as Griff's has, got a little long in the tooth.

What's the worst thing that can happen? Maybe give that one a shot, Griff?
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

bungie4
I post more than I ride

Post by bungie4 »

Hppants wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:32 pm I'd be interested in knowing if YES would pay for a shock that "failed" due to normal wear and tear. Not talking about one that is leaking, or the stepper motor quit working, or anything of the sort. Just one that, as Griff's has, got a little long in the tooth.

This. I can't see them covering something that has a service life like a shock. Especially one that swings for the bleachers with a $3K price tag. Then again, Yamaha earned much of our loyalty by fixing Gen 1 tickers well out of warranty (but that was a defect)..
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

bungie4 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:13 pm
Hppants wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:32 pm I'd be interested in knowing if YES would pay for a shock that "failed" due to normal wear and tear. Not talking about one that is leaking, or the stepper motor quit working, or anything of the sort. Just one that, as Griff's has, got a little long in the tooth.

This. I can't see them covering something that has a service life like a shock. Especially one that swings for the bleachers with a $3K price tag. Then again, Yamaha earned much of our loyalty by fixing Gen 1 tickers well out of warranty (but that was a defect)..
It would be covered...They covered the replacement of my leaking rear shock, on my 06. It all depends on how it is written up. Hell...they even covered a set of fork seals on my 06.
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
bungie4
I post more than I ride

Post by bungie4 »

El Toro Joe wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:50 pm
bungie4 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:13 pm

It would be covered...They covered the replacement of my leaking rear shock, on my 06. It all depends on how it is written up.
Uhm, no.. a leaking shock can easily be classed as a manufacturing defect and would be covered, this is just a shock thats found the end of its service life. It's not leaking. Its just baffed. Guess we'll find out one way or the other. If they replace it, you could make a good case to replace your OEM tires that have the air showing.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran

Post by El Toro Joe »

I wasn't referring to a worn out shock...only to a defective/or leaking shock. I would think that an ES shock should have a longer life than 115K miles.

...besides don't you have some snow to shovel? :lol: :stickpoke:
Last edited by El Toro Joe on Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

I think maybe I should just ride griff's bike to confirm how awful it is.
Cav47 and El Toro Joe loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
bungie4
I post more than I ride

Post by bungie4 »

El Toro Joe wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:02 pm I wasn't referring to a worn out shock...only to a defective/or leaking shock. I would think that an ES shock should have a longer life than 115K miles.

...besides don't you have some snow to shovel? :lol: :stickpoke:
F.O with the snoo.

Why would you think it would last 115K when 'normal' FJR shocks are showing signs of being baffed in as little as 20K.

Der shproinging unst shproinked.
wheatonFJR loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran

Post by El Toro Joe »

bungie4 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:12 pm Why would you think it would last 115K when 'normal' FJR shocks are showing signs of being baffed in as little as 20K.
I think my 06 shock was warrantied at around 3 years, with probably around 40K miles on it...never had an issue with the replacement up until I sold the bike with 102k miles on it, and that shock is still on the bike to this day...maybe it's kinda like tire mileage. :lol:

...and your attempt at German is lame :lol:
Prestone
FJRModel: 2016

Post by Prestone »

Thanks for the reminder to call me dealer about my stock shock. They said they have to call me back, but it's been way over the 90 day period now
Prestone
FJRModel: 2016

Post by Prestone »

My ES shock failed, and Yamaha Yes covered to the tune of almost 4k.
Uncle Hud loved this