What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by Hppants »

This morning, I looked at the bike, and then I looked at my boat. I called a riding buddy who is retired and asked him "fish or ride?". He said fishing sounded fun, so off we went. We should have gone riding. Cold front earlier in the week has the fish scattered with lockjaw. We caught a couple, but we had to hit 'em in the head with it.

Still - I had fun on my 53rd birthday.

Gotta work tomorrow, but I'm planning to ride Sunday....
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

bungie4 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:06 pm
wheatonFJR wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:32 pm I pulled the baffles out of the EOM Leo Vince cans. I will take an upstate ride tomorrow to see how it sounds running through the gears....can't go too far, cuz I really only have a "go to the Dragon and back" amount of tread on the back tire...which I'm hoping to do Black Friday.
Is it just me or are you perpetually running on the tail end of tire life? Like, are you buying and running other ppls take offs or something?
Up north I got 7k out of tires, now I get 3k out of tires...I just have more curves per mile ridden. With those curves and mountain roads come downshifts and riding hard in the curves. It's a blessing...and a curse. If I have a 400 mile day, I can usually tell better that I can make it on a tire vs a 4000 mile trip. So, I use ALL the tire if I know it's gonna be dry...which you can usually tell on a day ride.

I use takeoffs from longer trips for a few day rides. I have a nomar, and it gets plenty of use. It's not like I live out on the edge. This is "whitebread wheaties" as radman used to call me.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

Makes sense, lucky bastard. :D

Some day, I want to wear out a set of tires either evenly, or the edges first. Seems as it's my job to square off tires. I should take mine off when they still have 3k left in the center and resell them to you guys to demo the good bits.
bill lumberg and Hppants loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

gixxerjasen wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:57 pm I think he does a massive 10 minute burnout to break them in.
All tires must die!
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

gixxerjasen wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:57 pm I think he does a massive 10 minute burnout to break them in.
What's the point of that? Never did understand that.
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

Mother Nature has smiled upon me and enabled me to continue with my daily attempt to ride. Just got back from a nice little 20 mile or so trip. Bike seems to run fine but sounds different when it starts. Kind of like the starter is now spinning faster? Still fires right up but just doesn't sound like it did before. Day 608 is done. I'll upload pics of the damage form Thursday. Might need to replace the left side highway peg bracket as it did get bent. Going to remove it and take it along to work, see if we can straighten it in a press then just repaint it.
bill lumberg loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

wheatonFJR wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:38 am
Tire break-in is as clear and as definitive as engine break-in. Everyone with an opinion is right and everyone else is clearly wrong.

If you believe in tire break-in, here is what you are trying to do. First, motorcycle tire manufacturers have mostly or completely stopped using mold release compound. If release compound is used, it is typically only on the sidewalls so that the tire markings and specifications release from the mold, making them clear and easy to read. Tire break-in for *street use* will occur over the first 100 miles or so. The break-in shouldn't include massive burn-outs, no matter how fun it may seem ;) Initially the tire should be ridden long enough to bring it up to temperature over ~10 miles or so and then allowed to rest until completely cold, some ¿experts? say as long as 24 hours. The stress and heat of the initial ride will break some of the weak molecular bonds in the rubber and the resting will allow the bonds to realign. Then longer heat/rest cycles over the next 80-90 miles will complete the deed. The benefits (besides not crashing on cold, new tires) are longer tire life and better traction. Some tire dealers, especially car tire dealers offer a tire break-in service so you can receive a ready to go tire.

What the heck? Do a couple of progressive braking stops, do a couple of progressively harder acceleration runs and you are good to go ride the snot out of the tires. Aim that new sucker at a corner and ride the shit out of it and call it a day. None of that silly ninny shit about 'break-in', buncha limp dick, whinny, snot nose punks and their prissy break-in procedures....

If you are at a road racing track, do break-in the tires, then use a tire heater to get your track oriented tires up to temperature and go grind the knee pucks off your pants.

If you are at a drag strip, why yes, do a good burn-out and get the tire surface clean and hot, then roll slowly forward through the VHT or Strip Grip and let it stick to the hot rear tire (traction compound that the drag strips usually spray on the starting line area). If your launch is proper, the burn-out will make a measurable difference in the 60' times and noticeably reduce the ET.
Pterodactyl
Veteran
FJRModel: R1250GSA w/ Sidecar

Post by Pterodactyl »

ionbeam wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:08 pm
wheatonFJR wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:38 am
Tire break-in is as clear and as definitive as engine break-in. Pterodactyl is right and everyone else is clearly wrong.
Fixed
Finally, someone acknowledges my superior tire intellect. I have used tires on all of my motorcycles, so I am clearly an expert.
Uncle Hud and bill lumberg loved this
Kevin
The Outpost
Silver City, MT
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

I did US129 to it. ETA- just got back. The dragon was dry and clean. The approach roads had more wet spots than a Keith Urban concert. But 129 was pristine. Not many folks on it.
wheatonFJR and Hppants loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

I rode north Greenville County just to verify whether the Leo Vince without baffles were going to be too loud. They aren't...just nice pleasing bass grumble running through the lower gears. I'm glad I bid for them and didn't let the nasty Canadian get them. Headed north from Tryon up to Saluda with pleasant results on 176. Something good about getting a couple hours on the bike to clear your head.

On the lower part of 176 there were waterfall dripping water across the road...so I didn't bother taking a right at the top of the hill and scouting Herbert Cove Rd and Green River Rd as Louanne poured out the rain gage with 4 1/2" TWICE...for a total of 9" of rain in Travelers Rest since Monday. The Saluda Reservoir that holds Greenville, SC water supply was completely full if not a little bit over! Never seen it full like that...the year of the fires, it was WAY down.

It was nice to have 60 degrees and sunny after days of 37 degrees and pouring rain.
bill lumberg and Hppants loved this
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

I was set on yoshi r77’s for the new bike. Then I found out they are supposed to be repacked about twice a year, for my mileage. If that’s what yoshi recommends, hell, everyone’s cans are in play. Which Leo’s did you win? I mean, I was there, but I don’t know which model....
wheatonFJR wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:51 pm I rode north Greenville County just to verify whether the Leo Vince without baffles were going to be too loud. They aren't...just nice pleasing bass grumble running through the lower gears. I'm glad I bid for them and didn't let the nasty Canadian get them. Headed north from Tryon up to Saluda with pleasant results on 176. Something good about getting a couple hours on the bike to clear your head.

On the lower part of 176 there were waterfall dripping water across the road...so I didn't bother taking a right at the top of the hill and scouting Herbert Cove Rd and Green River Rd as Louanne poured out the rain gage with 4 1/2" TWICE...for a total of 9" of rain in Travelers Rest since Monday. The Saluda Reservoir that holds Greenville, SC water supply was completely full if not a little bit over! Never seen it full like that...the year of the fires, it was WAY down.

It was nice to have 60 degrees and sunny after days of 37 degrees and pouring rain.
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

bill lumberg wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:26 pm I was set on yoshi r77’s for the new bike. Then I found out they are supposed to be repacked about twice a year, for my mileage. If that’s what yoshi recommends, hell, everyone’s cans are in play. Which Leo’s did you win? I mean, I was there, but I don’t know which model....
wheatonFJR wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:51 pm I rode north Greenville County just to verify whether the Leo Vince without baffles were going to be too loud. They aren't...just nice pleasing bass grumble running through the lower gears. I'm glad I bid for them and didn't let the nasty Canadian get them. Headed north from Tryon up to Saluda with pleasant results on 176. Something good about getting a couple hours on the bike to clear your head.

I don't know which model either, it's all in Italian. There might be a picture on the EOM thread...or you can listen to them on Black Friday if the weather is dry and above freezing...on the way to the Dragon, or wherever jwilly wants to go.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

I haven’t been officially invited. But that won’t stop me. In.
wheatonFJR loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

The nasty Canadian moved on.... found a set of GYTR Yoshi's fer a wee bit more than you paid..
escapefjrtist loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

bill lumberg wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:52 pm I haven’t been officially invited. But that won’t stop me. In.
Neither have I...but Jwilly's record just begs the question of who is gonna watch over him this time. So I felt obliged to ride along with him...seeing how I ride up to the Dragon on Black Friday every year now when weather permits.

We haven't made any arrangements yet wrt meeting place or time...but I'm sure that will happen soon Mr. psycho blue.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

raYzerman wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:32 pm The nasty Canadian moved on.... found a set of GYTR Yoshi's fer a wee bit more than you paid..
Wee???
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

Hey guys - putbme down for Black Friday, 2020. JSNS
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."

gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

wheatonFJR wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:51 pm It was nice to have 60 degrees and sunny after days of 37 degrees and pouring rain.
This. Been as low as 26F here with the rain. Today it was sunny and 60F and I didn't care if I've been sick the past few days, I freaking got me a small ride in. Hell yea.
Hppants and wheatonFJR loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Hppants wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:31 pm Hey guys - putbme down for Black Friday, 2020. JSNS
From what I understand, you have like 40 weeks of vacation left. Make it 2019, and it's a deal. Bring wifey.
Hppants loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

Not a bad idea at all.

Sitting at the gas station waiting on a riding buddy. Temp is 49 and there is not a cloud in the sky.

Oh - there he is. Time to ride!!
wheatonFJR loved this