What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
Spininprop
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022ES
Traded 2016A
Sold 2013 GSX-R1000
Sold 2003 GSX-R1000
Sold 2000 Bandit 600

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by Spininprop »

I feel for you chuck. I spent 7 hours getting home today. Was stuck on rt83 for 3 hours. Made a move up the whoulder of the ramp to the turnpike, got off harrisburg east turned around got back on and took the turnpike to Carlisle. I live in york. 1.5 later im home. Left work at 12noon arrived 705pm. Roads were shit.

Glad your ok.
IBA# 84110
2022 FJR1300ES
2016 FJR1300A Traded
2013 GSX-R1000 Traded
2003 GSX-R1000 Sold
2000 Bandit 600 Traded
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by NTXFJR »

BkerChuck wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:33 pm I rode to work this morning even though the forecast in my area was not good. My truck is in the shop so I had little choice if I wanted to get to work. Promised myself I'd leave early when the weather turned crappy as they were expecting snow, sleet, and freezing rain starting a little before lunch. Today was day 606 and while the ride in was fine the trip home was not. I left work early at 11:30 and in hindsight 10:30 would have been better. Parking lot already had a coating of snow and I left as carefully as I could. Made it about a mile when the back end slid and put me down on my left side. Full gear so uninjured but had to wait for someone to get out of their car and help pick it up as I couldn't on the slippery road surface. Deciding my safest move was to go back to work and just put my bike in the shop and get a ride home. I made it about halfway back to where I'd only left 15 minutes before when the back end slid out again putting me back down of the left side again. Both times were under 15 mph but there was no way I could ride on these roads. A gentlemen came out of his house where I had just gone down and helped me pick up the bike for the second time today. I'd managed over 100k in 6 years and never had my bike been down before today.

Bike is now parked in this man's driveway until I can pick it up hopefully tomorrow. A coworker came and picked me up and the normal 20 minute or so commute.......5 HOURS! We have roads closed that in my 50+ years in PA I've never seen closed before. My streak may be over but if I can get my bike tomorrow and get it home......... 606 days is still an accomplishment so no tears over that.

Thanks to everyone who has followed this attempt and offered words of support! I'll figure out tomorrow if I can get a ride in safely.
What am I missing? I didn't see anything where the streak has to end. Glad your ok!
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Yeah, Tex scrapes his up all the time...no big deal.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

Leaving my house shortly to go retrieve my bike. Temps are above freezing and roads appear reasonably clear. Expected to hit 40 degrees today. Going in to work late, streak may continue after all. Left hip a little sore but not bad. Will let you know status once I decide.
raYzerman and Cav47 loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

No streak is worth injury.

Take care.

Don't gixxerjasen up your forks...or your hips.
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

BkerChuck wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:33 pm ...they were expecting snow, sleet, and freezing rain...Parking lot already had a coating of snow...about a mile when the back end slid and put me down...the back end slid out again putting me back down of the left side again...
You are in violation of:

Please live to ride another day :)
NTXFJR, bungie4, BkerChuck and 1 others loved this
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

wheatonFJR wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:56 am No streak is worth injury.

Take care.

Hey hey hey, don't just be throwing that technical term around willy nilly. Messing up your forks in a crash is NOT a gixxerjasen, you can only do that through bungled maintenance.

I mean, gixxerjasen HAS messed up forks in a crash before, but that was the fault of an Acura driver, and really, he wasn't the first to do that by a long shot.

Chuck, some time ago I had my boss show up at my desk and ask me "Did you ride your motorcycle today?" I told him that of course I did, it was cold that morning but not that bad. He informed me that it was currently freezing rain outside, and that even though it was still quite early that I should take my stupid ass and get home and tomorrow watch the weather report and drive a weather appropriate vehicle. It wasn't as bad as your ride, but I am quite sure if I'd waited till normal quitting time it would have been because it was a nasty difficult ride home and the traffic snarled up afterwards. I was thankful my boss looked out for me there and I sucked it up and drove my truck to work the next day.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

Damn bad luck, BkerChuck. Glad you're OK, but I'm sure you took a huge smack to the ego and spirit.

Make sure you're OK; I've had bumps and bruises show up 12 hours after slow-speed drops.
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

gixxerjasen wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:51 am
wheatonFJR wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:56 am No streak is worth injury.

Take care.

Hey hey hey, don't just be throwing that technical term around willy nilly. Messing up your forks in a crash is NOT a gixxerjasen, you can only do that through bungled maintenance.

I mean, gixxerjasen HAS messed up forks in a crash before, but that was the fault of an Acura driver, and really, he wasn't the first to do that by a long shot.

Chuck, some time ago I had my boss show up at my desk and ask me "Did you ride your motorcycle today?" I told him that of course I did, it was cold that morning but not that bad. He informed me that it was currently freezing rain outside, and that even though it was still quite early that I should take my stupid ass and get home and tomorrow watch the weather report and drive a weather appropriate vehicle. It wasn't as bad as your ride, but I am quite sure if I'd waited till normal quitting time it would have been because it was a nasty difficult ride home and the traffic snarled up afterwards. I was thankful my boss looked out for me there and I sucked it up and drove my truck to work the next day.

I thought we had agreed that Crashing in any way was going to be referred to as "JWillying"
BkerChuck loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran

Post by ionbeam »

Cav47 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:23 am I thought we had agreed that Crashing in any way was going to be referred to as "JWillying"
You haven't had a completely JWillied your bike unless you get an extrememarine pillion ride back home.
Last edited by ionbeam on Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uncle Hud, gixxerjasen, wheatonFJR and 1 others loved this
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

Well the good new is I've retrieved the bike and rode it to work. Started up okay but sounded a little like fast starter syndrome when I first tried it. I had was only a mile away so not much of a ride so far. Damage is pretty much what I noted yesterday, scrape on the left bag lid, footpeg scrapes , and the left frame slider. All lights, mirrors, and bodywork appear unharmed.Overall the results could have been much much worse and I'm thankful this seems to be it. I'll look it over more later today after I get home.

Making it home after work will complete day 607. Weather forecast for coming days is good so......I shall continue with being an idiot.

Thanks again to everyone for the words of support.
raYzerman, Hppants, CraigRegs and 1 others loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran

Post by ionbeam »

*%#@!%*!
BkerChuck, bill lumberg, and wheatonFJR loved this
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

Yesterday I put the electrolyte in the new Yuasa. Very odd, the slowest I've ever seen it bubble down into the battery and I have a garage full of bikes with Yuasa batteries. Still, it all went in there and I popped it on the charger overnight.

Then I did the earplug mod. If you don't know about this, it's simple and eliminates a lot of cursing. If you have maybe more than one thing screwed to your battery terminals then this is for you. Cut the tip off of a pair of earplugs and stick it inside the battery terminal then stick the nut on top of it. It will push the nut to the top and then you don't end up trying to screw in a too small terminal screw trying to pick up the nut off the bottom of the slot it sits in.

Cursed Yamaha a few times for battery placement and got it wedged in there and all hooked up. Fired right up. Weatherman says it'll be 70F when I get off work so now I have to figure out which bike to take out for a spin.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E

bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

I did the 'tear a little strip off a pack and smokes and jam it under the nut' mod. I've had the same strip of paper in two bikes spanning 10 years.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
CraigRegs
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 15ES

Post by CraigRegs »

bungie4 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:22 pm I did the 'tear a little strip off a pack and smokes and jam it under the nut' mod. I've had the same strip of paper in two bikes spanning 10 years.
This may be the ultimate definition of tight-wad.
Red, NTXFJR, and wheatonFJR loved this
Craig
----------------
...the Pursuit of Happiness
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

I pulled the baffles out of the EOM Leo Vince cans. I will take an upstate ride tomorrow to see how it sounds running through the gears....can't go too far, cuz I really only have a "go to the Dragon and back" amount of tread on the back tire...which I'm hoping to do Black Friday.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

wheatonFJR wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:32 pm I pulled the baffles out of the EOM Leo Vince cans. I will take an upstate ride tomorrow to see how it sounds running through the gears....can't go too far, cuz I really only have a "go to the Dragon and back" amount of tread on the back tire...which I'm hoping to do Black Friday.
So what they say about you and tires is true? You sure you have that much left?
Uncle Hud loved this
My Blog

bungie4
I post more than I ride

Post by bungie4 »

CraigRegs wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:29 pm
bungie4 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:22 pm I did the 'tear a little strip off a pack and smokes and jam it under the nut' mod. I've had the same strip of paper in two bikes spanning 10 years.
This may be the ultimate definition of tight-wad.
Nah, ultimate definition of git'r done when your freezing your ass off. The second time I was swapping goodies between bikes, and well, the paper was right there!
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
bungie4
I post more than I ride

Post by bungie4 »

wheatonFJR wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:32 pm I pulled the baffles out of the EOM Leo Vince cans. I will take an upstate ride tomorrow to see how it sounds running through the gears....can't go too far, cuz I really only have a "go to the Dragon and back" amount of tread on the back tire...which I'm hoping to do Black Friday.
Is it just me or are you perpetually running on the tail end of tire life? Like, are you buying and running other ppls take offs or something?
raYzerman and gixxerjasen loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

I think he does a massive 10 minute burnout to break them in.
My Blog