Oil Change: Down & Dirty DIY

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Re: Oil Change: Down & Dirty DIY

Post by wheatonFJR »

2013 Drain plug is the same as my 04...so I doubt that it changed. Take a couple of the smaller allens...that can't take up too much space, can it?
danh600 loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

wheatonFJR wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:23 am 2013 Drain plug is the same as my 04...so I doubt that it changed. Take a couple of the smaller allens...that can't take up too much space, can it?
Ha. Yea, that would suck if I had everything and the allen wrench was the only thing not sized correctly.

I have a set of those allen wrenches that fold like a pocket knife.
Uncle Hud loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Dan - correct in both cases, plus a filter wrench.

FYI - I just stick a piece of cardboard between the fairing and the filter and channel the spilled oil to the pan. Don't even bother with the Tupperware.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

danh600
Veteran

Post by danh600 »

Hppants wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:17 pm Dan - correct in both cases, plus a filter wrench.

FYI - I just stick a piece of cardboard between the fairing and the filter and channel the spilled oil to the pan. Don't even bother with the Tupperware.
Filter wrench!!!! I will just go old school!!!
Screw driver and hammer.

Actually I have a filter wrench that fits over the end of the filter. Works on my Hondas, better make sure it fits the FJR filter.

Last time I remember just loosening the back bolt on the Tupperware and putting some aluminum foil around it. Cardboard might be easier.
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

danh600 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:54 am Doing a search on drain plug size brought this thread up.

I think it answered my questions, but...........

Can anyone verify that I need a 17mm socket and a 4 mm allen wrench. My FJR is a 2013. Are drain plugs the same size for all years?

I need to do an oil change on the FJR this weekend and it's at my cabin a few hours away. I have changed the oil before and remember you have to have an allen wrench to loosen that bottom piece of tupperware and of course a socket for the drain plug. Don't want to lug the whole tool box up there.
I have a drain pan and funnel already there.

My barn has a sand floor. So the most exciting thing is going to be rolling the FJR onto a piece of scrap plywood I have and getting it on the center stand.
My 13 had a 17mm hex on the Drain Plug
danh600 loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

Do yourself a favor and replace the tupperware allen head screw with a regular hex head screw so you can use a socket. You'll be glad you did. I also got a little brass bushing and replaced the rubber grommet, oil will destroy the grommet over time, the bushing will keep from cracking the plastic from over tightening.

When you do your oil change, write down EVERYTHING you use however minimal it is. In your leisure time go to WalMart, etc. and get a small cheap plastic toolbox and put all that stuff in it. Label it. Then you'll rarely if ever need to haul out the big toolbox, just grab and go. Make a pdf on your computer and/or phone that lists everything for an oil change so you don't forget something like a funnel or drain pan or filter wrench that won't fit in your little el-sheapo toolbox.
danh600
Veteran

Post by danh600 »

rbentnail wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:12 pm Do yourself a favor and replace the tupperware allen head screw with a regular hex head screw so you can use a socket. You'll be glad you did. I also got a little brass bushing and replaced the rubber grommet, oil will destroy the grommet over time, the bushing will keep from cracking the plastic from over tightening.

When you do your oil change, write down EVERYTHING you use however minimal it is. In your leisure time go to WalMart, etc. and get a small cheap plastic toolbox and put all that stuff in it. Label it. Then you'll rarely if ever need to haul out the big toolbox, just grab and go. Make a pdf on your computer and/or phone that lists everything for an oil change so you don't forget something like a funnel or drain pan or filter wrench that won't fit in your little el-sheapo toolbox.
Excellent ideas!
I actually have an old small boaters box laying around I could use as an FJR Oil Change box. Think I could even fit an oil filter in there. Then I would just have to pick up the oil. It would be nice cause I store the FJR in a trailer 4 hours away from home. I go up to the cabin about 2-3 weekends a month. However I almost never take my big tool box. I do have wood working tools that I take, but those aren't going to do me much good on the FJR.
I am much better at making stuff like this than I am working on bikes.
Harald, Hppants, CollingsBob and 3 others loved this
Pterodactyl
Veteran
FJRModel: R1250GSA w/ Sidecar

Post by Pterodactyl »

danh600 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:26 am
rbentnail wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:12 pm Do yourself a favor and replace the tupperware allen head screw with a regular hex head screw so you can use a socket. You'll be glad you did. I also got a little brass bushing and replaced the rubber grommet, oil will destroy the grommet over time, the bushing will keep from cracking the plastic from over tightening.

Excellent ideas!
I actually have an old small boaters box laying around I could use as an FJR Oil Change box. Think I could even fit an oil filter in there. Then I would just have to pick up the oil. It would be nice cause I store the FJR in a trailer 4 hours away from home. I go up to the cabin about 2-3 weekends a month. However I almost never take my big tool box. I do have wood working tools that I take, but those aren't going to do me much good on the FJR.
Uh, Dan, that table has a crack in it..... A little (or a great deal) wood puddy will fix that right up for ya.
Harald, CollingsBob, and wheatonFJR loved this
Kevin
The Outpost
Silver City, MT
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

danh600 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:26 am Image
Nice Cabin!
CraigRegs
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 15ES

Post by CraigRegs »

danh600 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:26 am I do have wood working tools that I take, but those aren't going to do me much good on the FJR.
At the risk of going all Wheaton on this thread...

Damn, Dan, that's beautiful! If you've got more (and I know you must...), maybe you should start a new brag thread in the Off-topic area1
danh600, Hppants, and wheatonFJR loved this
Craig
----------------
...the Pursuit of Happiness
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2024 BMW R1300 GS

Post by CollingsBob »

Wait...you store your bike 4 hours from home?
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

That cabin has officially been added to the bucket list. Something is drawing me there. Maybe it's the idea that now I could change my oil there.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."

danh600
Veteran

Post by danh600 »

CollingsBob wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:33 pm Wait...you store your bike 4 hours from home?
One of my bikes.
bill lumberg loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

danh600 wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:47 am
CollingsBob wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:33 pm Wait...you store your bike 4 hours from home?
One of my bikes.
It's a Florida thing. Makes perfect sense when you consider the state.
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2024 BMW R1300 GS

Post by CollingsBob »

wheatonFJR wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:53 am
danh600 wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:47 am
One of my bikes.
It's a Florida thing. Makes perfect sense when you consider the state.
Well, I guess it isn’t any crazier than living in a place where I can’t ride for almost 6 months of the year. -13c this morning, road in front of our house covered with snow.f@$k.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

-13C.... burrrr..... I don't think grip heaters are gonna help you there, Bob....

Of course we don't get anywhere that cold, but when it gets cold, we call that "Duck and Goose" weather. 8-)

The only thing that is good for is "ducking under the covers and goosing your wife".

(bad Pants)
CollingsBob and FredandJeannesRacer loved this