Weird Final Drive Bolt Anomaly

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Weird Final Drive Bolt Anomaly

Post by bill lumberg »

Changing oil and final drive fluid today. No one has changed either but me, always torqued to proper specs. Today, when I removed the FD drain bolt, there was weird shit in the threads in one spot. My initial thought was- did wheat shit in my threads? But I don’t think he could have gotten to them. Plus, he stuff is silver.
What is this, and should I be concerned?

ETA- I picked it out. And it’s what the British call aluminium. Looks like it anyway. Por que?
https://lumberg.smugmug.com/Tech/i-kW8t27g

https://lumberg.smugmug.com/Tech/i-Wsnbs36
wheatonFJR loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Re: Weird Final Drive Bolt Anomaly

Post by gixxerjasen »

Al you min eee yum?
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

Don't overtighten when you put it back in.
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

Bill,

Looks like a housing thread came out on the bolt. Chances are, other threads in the housing are fractured, as well. I would vote for a Heli-Coil. You also might find a larger drain plug, so that you can simply drill and tap the housing for a larger plug. Fill the drill bit and the tap with a heavy grease, to catch any metal shavings, and replace that grease in the tooling several times, while doing the job. If a larger plug would be your choice, look at the Imperial sizes, that may be between the 14mm drain plug and the next larger Metric size.

FWIW, I am a proponent of using RTV on drain plug crush washers to prevent leaks, rather than any overly serious torque value. Snug plus a little can do the job nicely, with RTV. I also recommend the use of safety wire (rather than excessive torque), to keep the oil plugs from coming out on the road. Then, you will be bulletproof, there.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

Thanks guys. Tightened to spec every time since I’ve owned it. If I find more on subsequent changes, going to have to get it recorded for warranty/posterity. Any work done will be yamaha’s responsibility. The FD drain plug has always felt sketchy. I think this was boogered from the factory because, for the first time, the plug goes in smoothly without any resistance. There was always one spot of resistance before. At over 82,000 miles, I’m surprised to have something so basic (threads-okay, one thread) fail. It has never and still doesn’t leak. We shall see.
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

bill lumberg wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:09 pm My initial thought was- did wheat shit in my threads?
Yes. Yes, I did.

I eat steel and shit Alyoumineeum.
bill lumberg loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Get your flashlight out and check the rest of the mating threads maybe only the first one broke, which is no biggie. When using crush washers, toss your torque wrench, when the washer starts crushing give it a 1/4 turn more, you're done. Anything beyond that is crushing the crush and making a flat washer.. I'm not a fan of flattened steel crush washers, would rather have flat aluminum washers, torqued snug until you feel aluminum being displaced (no more than 20 ft. lbs.). One 35 cent aluminum washer will last you for years.
As well, if you're changing final drive oil every oil change, that's too often. Yamaha says 2 years, but I say once at end of every riding year. It will save wear and tear on your threads.
CollingsBob loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

17 foot lbs is spec. If that’s too much,
It’s yamaha’s problem. Re:wear and tear- I’ll definitely stop changing FD fluid if it will help yamaha’s defect from worsening while I own the bike. For the miles I ride, spec is much more frequent than every two years, but doing it very oil change is obviously excessive.
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

17 is just fine. I suspect the rest of your threads are just fine, the first thread may have been fractured by the tapping process, if the rest are fine, then no worries, nor would I call it a Yamaha defect... it can happen... alloy castings are porous by nature although measures are taken to prevent as much of that as possible. Don't worry too much about the mileage on FD oil, people rarely change it in their autos and it lasts forever..... the issue on bikes is the vent is open to atmosphere and moisture can get in causing it to look milky, if you ride in heavy rain a lot (or commute short distances where it won't heat up enough to evaporate that moisture), perhaps change it twice a year if it looks milky.
NTXFJR and bill lumberg loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

If things go to crapola, and you are so inclined, I’ve got a perfectly fine pumpkin housing. The stuff inside of it is questionable, but the housing is perfect.

Long story.....
Redfish loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

HotRodZilla
Veteran
FJRModel: 07 FJR-A

Post by HotRodZilla »

Don't use a torque wrench on wet threads. If the threads are lubed, what the wrench thinks is 17lbs is significantly higher. This is what has led to so many people stripping out their oil pan drain bolt. It's not a defect, it's user error. Shit happens.
Redfish, Bust, and rbentnail loved this
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

Shit happens. In this case, that shit is minor, and Yamaha picks up the tab if it worsens. I don’t categorize doing.l things to manufacturer spec as user error. But I’ve definitely changed the drive fluid more often than Yamaha requires. Thanks for the helpful replies.
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

If you go to Advance Auto or Auto Zone, you can get 14mm washers with bonded rubber o-rings. Use 1 to replace your crush washer, then about 4 ft lbs will seal it. I've done this since my first FD oil change in 2009- never leaks, never comes loose but I also do NOT use a torque wrench for minor small stuff like this. IMHO aluminium threads are no place to use a torque wrench ever.
Redfish, HotRodZilla, and Bust loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

And now for a counterpoint.

I performed the 600 mile service on my (then) brand new '14, including the final drive oil. Little known to me, about 300 miles later, the drain plug vibrated its way loose and knocked a riding buddy in the chest. I then proceeded to run about 25 miles at 80 mph with NO oil in the pumpkin.

With help from some outboard motor oil, using the fill plug as a temporary drain plug, and a fishing cork as a fill plug, I got home.

I replaced the entire pumpkin assy for peace of mind.

My point is this - in my stupidity and carelessness, I neglected to tighten the drain plug enough and it could have cost me my life. Now, everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) on the motorcycle gets torqued every single time.

Your mileage may vary....
bill lumberg and wheatonFJR loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Please don't tell me my mileage may vary...I want all the mileage AND all the horsepower.
HotRodZilla and Bust loved this
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

The fishing cork makes that story. I torque to manual specs (or slightly below) for just that sort of reason.
Hppants wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:47 pm And now for a counterpoint.

I performed the 600 mile service on my (then) brand new '14, including the final drive oil. Little known to me, about 300 miles later, the drain plug vibrated its way loose and knocked a riding buddy in the chest. I then proceeded to run about 25 miles at 80 mph with NO oil in the pumpkin.

With help from some outboard motor oil, using the fill plug as a temporary drain plug, and a fishing cork as a fill plug, I got home.

I replaced the entire pumpkin assy for peace of mind.

My point is this - in my stupidity and carelessness, I neglected to tighten the drain plug enough and it could have cost me my life. Now, everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) on the motorcycle gets torqued every single time.

Your mileage may vary....
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

When one finds himself in the middle of a river flood plain, at a gas station/bait-n-tackle shop, one must find the courage to make lemonade.
bill lumberg loved this

Harald
FJRModel: 2020 FJR1300ES

Post by Harald »

I'm kinda late to the game here, but just want to add a thought on torque wrenches. If you're using a torque wrench that goes from, say 15 to 200 lbs and set it at 17 you'll probably be way off 17 ft/lbs torque. Torque wrenches are notoriously off at either ends of their range.

BTW, I'm still using the flat copper washer from the auto parts store that I installed when my 07 was new and it's still not leaking at 135,000 miles. Same type of washer is on my engine oil drain plug too. :)
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Copper washers will rust and turn your 2007 bright green.
Harald loved this
Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

Hell yeah! I want a bright green FJR!
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517