Flaw since the last update

Forum Guidelines and Information, Status, etc.
fencer
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006 *SOLD now 2018

Flaw since the last update

Post by fencer »

When I click on NEW TOPICS. There never are any... I just have to scroll through each area to find new posts
Just here to show my ass --------->>>>>>>>
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Re: Flaw since the last update

Post by ionbeam »

Ya, I miss the NEW TOPICS too. I'm using the ACTIVE TOPICS and look for the unread thread icons. I'm on often enough that all the new topics fit on the first page.
wheatonFJR loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Haven't noticed "New Topics" as a choice.... maybe that's on the landing page which I don't use. My bookmark goes directly to the Forums page, and I use "Unread Posts" from the Quick Links dropdown, no issues.
Bust loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

I miss the 'new posts' in the Quick Links dropdown too, hasn't worked for me since the update.
DesignFlaw06
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006 FJR1300A

Post by DesignFlaw06 »

Help me out, where are you seeing New Topics?

Can you guys post a screenshot of what you get?
TimDog!
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

Should be:

Quick Links > Active Topics (this shows lastest posts, sorted by when the last post was added for all sub-forums).

Quick Links > New Topics (I think this is the same as the "active topics" link.

I would guess this is more tied to your browser (Fencer). Are you on IOS - like an iPad??

Wayne
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

Just checked.

Quick Links > New Posts - this shows you any new posts since your last login / visit. So, if you stay logged in, it might now show new posts.

I have always used the "active topics" link on the Quick Links menus
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
Bounce
Veteran
FJRModel: 2003

Post by Bounce »

rbentnail wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:52 am I miss the 'new posts' in the Quick Links dropdown too, hasn't worked for me since the update.
That's never gone MIA for me. I used it just now. (Firefox)

Have you tried clearing your browser (cache, history, etc.)?
Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

Y'all don't use "Unread Posts"?
DesignFlaw06 loved this
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
clocklaw
Swag Master
Veteran
FJRModel: 2005 FJR ABS - My Blue Angel

Post by clocklaw »

Uncle Hud wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:58 pm Y'all don't use "Unread Posts"?
I use the "Active Topics" button.
wheatonFJR loved this
wheatonFJR wrote:...you don't really expect me to finger myself do you?
HotRodZilla wrote:Be careful, don't act dumb, and like your weiner, keep it in your pants.
Abercrombie FJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 ES

Post by Abercrombie FJR »

fencer wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:10 pm When I click on NEW TOPICS. There never are any... I just have to scroll through each area to find new posts
Are you referring to "New Posts" under "Quick Links"? That menu selection will only give you new responses to threads that you've contributed to. Nothing else will show under "New Posts" unless you've posted something and there has been a new response. Once you've viewed it once the next time you click "New Posts" it will appear empty until someone else posts in that thread.

I think the quickest way to view new posts on FJRiders is to use "Unread posts" or "Active topics" but I always click on "new posts" first to see if anyone has responded to threads that I've participated in.
Have you done anything to improve your rider skills or knowledge lately?

2014 FJR, 2013 Super Tenere, 2019 Ducati Hypermotard 950SP, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S, 2006 Ducati 999, 2018 Beta 500 RR-S, 2016 Scorpa 300, 2020 Yamaha WR250R.
fencer
Veteran

Post by fencer »

It used to show everything, not just contributed threads. I guess I will use a new button now
fencer
Veteran

Post by fencer »

Bounce wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:39 am
rbentnail wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:52 am I miss the 'new posts' in the Quick Links dropdown too, hasn't worked for me since the update.
That's never gone MIA for me. I used it just now. (Firefox)

Have you tried clearing your browser (cache, history, etc.)?
Yes

extrememarine wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:28 am Should be:

Quick Links > Active Topics (this shows lastest posts, sorted by when the last post was added for all sub-forums).

Quick Links > New Topics (I think this is the same as the "active topics" link.

I would guess this is more tied to your browser (Fencer). Are you on IOS - like an iPad??

Wayne
I am same as before with Google from a desk or laptop
wheatonFJR loved this
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran

Post by rbentnail »

To be clear, Quick Links>New Posts for me used to show every new post anyone put anywhere whether I had posted in that thread or not. Now every single time I click it it comes up "no suitable matches were found" and a link directing me to Advanced Search, when clearly there are new posts, even in the threads I have bookmarked. I have never logged out, I simply close the tab and go on my way and the next time I came I was remembered and New Posts showed me new posts. The strange thing is I get a notification alert in the top right of the forum page telling me there's a new post in a thread I have bookmarked, but Quick Links>New Posts still says there are no new posts.

Previous to the changes/updates I always used Quick Links>New Posts. A list of topics would come up, I had the choice of choosing to go directly to the new post, etc. Just like the forum normally works. I never used any other choice under the Quick Links tab.

Yes, I have manually cleared cache and cookies. Twice on Monday. Again.

Firefox browser, latest version, on the same laptop I've always used.

To complicate the issue, something weird happens most days when I come to the "Attack the Road" page or WTF it's called. I always use the same bookmark. Always. In fact I've replaced it several time thinking it might be on my end but stupit shit keeps happening so I quit doing that. Today when I clicked the bookmark the first time I got sent directly to my Preferences page so I could choose my theme colors. I close that tab and click the same bookmark and this time I get the attack page. And no matter how I try, a bookmark will not send me directly to the forum index, I have to go through the attack page to click a link to get to the forum.

I'd attach a screen shot but apparently this forum will not allow me to. I've tried to 2 different ways: using the print screen way and using the snipping tool. Both of these methods allow me to paste into a notepad so I know I have the shot but neither will paste into a post on this forum.

I just assumed the stuff was being quirky b/c of the changes/updates or that it's a fault on my end as is always suggested by folks. I'm beginning to believe that neither of these is true.
DesignFlaw06
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006 FJR1300A

Post by DesignFlaw06 »

OK guys, you have to give me something more. What's the link of the bookmark you're trying to use? If you hover over a link that isn't working, what is the URL? Email me if you can't figure out how to insert an image from a hosting site. My email is in my userprofile. There are plenty of free options other than Photobucket. I use Imgur.

It's been my experience that hosting platforms will limit the number of files allowed on the server. It's not about how much storage it takes up, it's simply about the number of files allowed. Then it puts more burden on the admins figuring out which files can go every time that limit is reached.
TimDog!
Bounce
Veteran
FJRModel: 2003

Post by Bounce »

Disable any "stay logged in" feature. Close all tabs. Reboot app/system. Clear all history/cache.

If none of that works, try a different browser. Chrome/Firefox instead of the included one with your OS (IE/Safari).
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran

Post by rbentnail »

DesignFlaw06 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:41 am OK guys, you have to give me something more. What's the link of the bookmark you're trying to use? If you hover over a link that isn't working, what is the URL? Email me if you can't figure out how to insert an image from a hosting site. My email is in my userprofile. There are plenty of free options other than Photobucket. I use Imgur.

It's been my experience that hosting platforms will limit the number of files allowed on the server. It's not about how much storage it takes up, it's simply about the number of files allowed. Then it puts more burden on the admins figuring out which files can go every time that limit is reached.
In English please.......

My bookmarking process: I open the forum by typing www.fjriders.com. I click on the "FORUMS" link, the forum opens. I click "Bookmark this Page" in my browser. I move it to where I want it to be in my list of bookmarks. I click "DONE". As I stated above this bookmarked link occasionally works but mostly not so I have mostly given up on it functioning normally. I have a second bookmark,following the same process for "the attack page". This one mostly works but sometimes not (reverse of the previous bookmark description)- www.fjriders.com is the one I described in a previous post as opening my Preferences page intead of the forum index.

This is the same process I use and have always used for ever and ever for creating hundreds upon hundreds of bookmarks just like everyone else in the world but this is the only place I go via bookmarks that now consistently fucks it up. Didn't used to f@$k it up, but now the "new and improved" does for me. I don't know why, I'm just reporting the facts.

Also, regarding the Quick Links>New Posts thing: Maybe I didn't explain it right: I didn't say the New Post link doesn't work, I said I get no list of new posts when clearly there have been new posts since my last visit. So how do I find that info you are looking for? Be specific, plain and simple, and attach pics if possible. I am NOT a technogeeky guy but I can follow clear, detailed, concise, click-by-click instructions to the letter. You assuming I know nothing about computer workings would be a step in the right direction- I use them, I don't understand or work on them.

Also, I don't need instructions on how to insert an image from a hosting site, please re-read what I typed. I said I tried to "attach a screen shot", quite different from "inserting an image from a hosting site". I thought I provided clear, detailed, concise information on that but if there's something else you want you're going to have to give me something more.

From the tone of your post it seems I may have been criticizing you directly or subliminally disparaging your work. Not the case at all, I have a great respect for those who can do this shit, and I apologize profusely if I came across that way. I made a concerted effort to report just the facts ma'am :roll: .
Last edited by rbentnail on Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran

Post by rbentnail »

Bounce wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:24 pm Disable any "stay logged in" feature. Close all tabs. Reboot app/system. Clear all history/cache.

If none of that works, try a different browser. Chrome/Firefox instead of the included one with your OS (IE/Safari).
I clearly stated in my post 2 times ago:

Firefox, latest version. Cache and history manually cleared on Monday, twice. ETA: computer was shut off (not sleep, not hibernate) on Wednesday last week and again On Sunday this week while traveling.

So....

everything on this forum worked "normally" for yrs according to the laws of God and Man. Took a little getting used to the differences but those workings always worked. Then an update/upgrade/whatever-the-f@$k was done and now it doesn't work for me and again, as is typical, it's my or my computer's fault?

Sorry dude, it's difficult to accept that as an answer. Nothing else on my end has changed- everything else on my laptop functions as it always has. A change was made on the forum end of things and the functionality of ONLY THIS SITE changed. How is that my computer's fault?
Last edited by rbentnail on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

rbentnail wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:41 pm
Bounce wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:24 pm Disable any "stay logged in" feature. Close all tabs. Reboot app/system. Clear all history/cache. ETA: computer was shut off (not sleep, not hibernate) on Wednesday last week and again On Sunday this week while traveling.

Firefox, latest version. Cache and history manually cleared on Monday, twice.

So....

everything on this forum worked "normally" for yrs according to the laws of God and Man. Took a little getting used to the differences but those workings always worked. Then an update/upgrade/whatever-the-f@$k was done and now it doesn't work for me and again, as is typical, it's my or my computer's fault?

Sorry dude, it's difficult to accept that as an answer. Nothing else on my end has changed- everything else on my laptop functions as it always has. A change was made on the forum end of things and the functionality of ONLY THIS SITE changed. How is that my computer's fault?
Cool down a little bit, man. Nobody is dying here...you obviously are able to get on and post. Press a different button to make things work, no problem...FJR Forum for free, right price. This issue goes under the heading of "my pinky hurts and I'm mad."

Not saying it's your computer...just turn the dial down, it's not that big a deal.
bigjohnsd and El Toro Joe loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran

Post by rbentnail »

wheatonFJR wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:12 pm
rbentnail wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:41 pm
Bounce wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:24 pm Disable any "stay logged in" feature. Close all tabs. Reboot app/system. Clear all history/cache. ETA: computer was shut off (not sleep, not hibernate) on Wednesday last week and again On Sunday this week while traveling.

Firefox, latest version. Cache and history manually cleared on Monday, twice.

So....

Cool down a little bit, man. Nobody is dying here...you obviously are able to get on and post. Press a different button to make things work, no problem...FJR Forum for free, right price. This issue goes under the heading of "my pinky hurts and I'm mad."

Not saying it's your computer...just turn the dial down, it's not that big a deal.
Nobody is hot on this end so no chiding from you is needed. Simply replying to one of the guys who always "recommends" the same stuff to fix a problem on a computer that's IMO not a problem with a computer that I have already done that stuff that's been recommended by that same guy numerous times before. Didn't work....

If you're not affected by the recent changes then Grrrrr-ate, I'm happy for you. But most days mine is not that case. If the Admin aren't interested in non-functioning or changes in function of features of the forum I'll shut up. If they are, how about you apply the same courtesy?