Creature Comfort Product Reviews

Making the FJR yours - what have you done, want to do, plan to do, and how?
kieefjr
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016A **** 1988 BMW K75c

Creature Comfort Product Reviews

Post by kieefjr »

I've got a few things to share that may be helpful to others.

First up is these hand grips. I've used Grip Puppies on most of my bikes because I like a larger grip but in the past few years I've developed arthritis in my thumbs. Having a larger grip seems to help with this too.
What I have are two items, one can be found on Amazon by looking up Big Josh's Gel Grips. The grip I have is for the walkers, I have one on the left grip. They wrap around and attach using velcro with gel padding.

On the right grip is another item that I cannot find anywhere. I bought a pair years ago at, of all places a lawn mower shop, landscapers were using them on their walk behind mowers, they are called Trip Grips, also full of Gel. They are thicker on one side and act like a Throttle Rocker. But since they appear to be no longer available you're SOL.
And yes, I have big hands....and you know what they say about big hands ;)

My next item is called Thumb Dogs. Almost like finger rubbers you put over your glove finger but made of fabric and one side of the fabric allows you to use your touch screen with your gloves on.
These are not a perfect solution IMO but it works. Your finger is still to big to be specific on what you're touching. I glued a small block of rubber on my glove finger tip to be more precise.
Another issue is they come off too easily and they stick to velcro. Kinda annoying and I'm about ready to spot glue the darn things to my gloves. If anyone else has tried something that works better please add it to the thread.

My next item may look familiar but what I using it for may not be. I love maps and finding those off-the-beaten-path back roads but they are not so easy to find on my GPS. What I do with this is I have a clear plastic envelop that I stick a note card into. After I scan my map I write on my card the list of roads I need to look for and follow on my GPS. I velcro it to my little stem mount.
I first thought of finding a Scroll Chart that enduro riders use but this is working just fine.Image

Lastly could be one of the most valuable items to have with you. I've had a RoadID in some form or fashion with me for I don't know how long, this https://www.roadid.com is the best. I highly recommend having one on during every ride.

Feel free to add your favorite creature comfort "farkle" to this thread.

:bowdown:
"If you don't like how I run the place, don't come here anymore." Iggy
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Re: Creature Comfort Product Reviews

Post by NTXFJR »

Like!
Thanks for sharing
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
kieefjr
Veteran

Post by kieefjr »

Might as well post one of my favorite map sources,

wheatonFJR and rbentnail loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

I too believe in larger grips, and protecting those expensive OEM heated grips from wearing out. Your first pic I think is the Grip Buddies, made by Dave in the Adirondaks. I also use the Original Throttle Boss, a smaller rubber thingie that acts as a Crampbuster on the right wrist. It is not as big as those plastic Crampbuster types, thus no accidental sudden accelerations..

On the Gen3 I decided not to do the Grip Buddies just yet. Put a protective layer of 2" shrink tube on the grips first, to increase the diameter, then went over that with tennis racket grip tape. So far so good, but not big enough. I may layer up some more shrink tube, and build up the middle more than the ends to contour them a bit........ reason for this stuff is so it still conducts the heat from the heated grips.

I'll see if I can get some pics posted up in this post later on........
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
kieefjr
Veteran

Post by kieefjr »

raYzerman wrote:I too believe in larger grips, and protecting those expensive OEM heated grips from wearing out. Your first pic I think is the Grip Buddies, made by Dave in the Adirondaks. I also use the Original Throttle Boss, a smaller rubber thingie that acts as a Crampbuster on the right wrist. It is not as big as those plastic Crampbuster types, thus no accidental sudden accelerations..

On the Gen3 I decided not to do the Grip Buddies just yet. Put a protective layer of 2" shrink tube on the grips first, to increase the diameter, then went over that with tennis racket grip tape. So far so good, but not big enough. I may layer up some more shrink tube, and build up the middle more than the ends to contour them a bit........ reason for this stuff is so it still conducts the heat from the heated grips.

I'll see if I can get some pics posted up in this post later on........
No, they are not http://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com . I've tried them and I don't like them, they are glued in place by a strip then wrapped over and attached by velcro (see instructions) and cannot be removed easily, I tried and torn mine. They also may need to be trimmed and are not gel filled.

These are the one in the picture that I'm using - https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Gel-Lugg ... B00U8ERHM2 (Part #MCHS 5" cane handle cover)They attach using velcro and can be removed easily and filled with gel.

I have used my heated grips with both of the ones mentioned, with the heat setting on high and still get the warmth. Much more so with the left grip.

Another option I've used in the past is cutting a http://www.grip-puppy.co.uk in half and wrapping it over another grip puppy. Use a couple of drops of http://www.homedepot.com/p/E6000-2-fl-o ... /203279322 to hold them in place. This also works with heated grips.
0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Post by 0face »

I tried the Thumb Dogs and I think all of them flew off the first day. Now I use a stylus connected with a little scrunchy cable, and some velcro. I'll post a picture when I get home if I freaking remember...
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran

Post by NTXFJR »

Marty, did you freaking forget??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IBA # 65427
0face
Contributor
Veteran

Post by 0face »

I use this to deal with my phone. Until they start making all the gloves with touch fingers.

It sits on my RD mount.

kieefjr
Veteran

Post by kieefjr »

Kinda like that.
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran

Post by NTXFJR »

Sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IBA # 65427
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

0face wrote:I use this to deal with my phone. Until they start making all the gloves with touch fingers.

Does it come with a vibrator?
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
ts3doug
Veteran
FJRModel: 08 a/07 speed tiple

Post by ts3doug »

It's the only way some of them do...
0face
Contributor
Veteran

Post by 0face »

wheatonFJR wrote:
0face wrote:I use this to deal with my phone. Until they start making all the gloves with touch fingers.

Does it come with a vibrator?
I thought you never left home without one?
gggGary
Squid
FJRModel: 2004 non ABS

Post by gggGary »

Made one just like that works on both tablet and phone.
kieefjr
Veteran

Post by kieefjr »

Something that may be of interest. The Gel Grips above that Im using have been forming to my hand. Some may like this some may not, I kinda do.
Years ago a BMW accessory supplier made grips of rubber with a similar shape and I haven't been able to find them since the late 80's, seems like they were call Perdone's for some reason, anyway, I used them for years on my R90s and liked them.

These wrap around Gels are a bit bigger than most grips but they feel better to me with my arthritic thumbs.
Image20mb image hostingcertificity.com
kieefjr
Veteran

Post by kieefjr »

New little mod I just added, one I had on my 2005.
I suppose anyone who has a FJR also has a radar detector, not sure how you could ride one without it. :D

A problem I have is being able to hear it and what I did have were speakers in my helmet with an audio cable running to the detector. Kinda cumbersome and recently the cable failed so I went back to what worked on my 05. ( I also either wear earplugs or similar earbuds tuned to a remote and iPod)

This is basically a screeching beep speaker with a lo/off/hi switch.

I attached the speaker by drilling a 2" hole in the lower black plastic cover beside the horn on the left side.

I made a easy bracket to hold the switch in a spot where I can reach it with my finger to flip it on or off.

That's it, wired to come on with the key switch like the detector. I like this setup better than a visual alarm and it works for me.
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

kieefjr wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:48 pm Might as well post one of my favorite map sources,

Yeah, I use these maps too. If it's got a state road number assigned, it's in that book. My experience is that a non-preprogrammed gps is only about 50% reliable in the NC/TN/VA mtns. These maps are invaluable to me.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not a big guy so grip wraps didn't work for me. I don't have heated grips so no concern there but big grips make my forearms ache horribly. Took some searching but I've been using ProGrip 714s for quite a while now. Immensely more comfortable than the OE grips and only slightly larger diameter. The price is what got me- for 10 bucks I tried them. Been using them ever since.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/pro ... port-grips
kieefjr loved this
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

I prefer beemer buddies, which like other products called "gel" are actually neoprene. Install in seconds, remove (and if you like, reinstall) in seconds. No trimming necessary. I like grip puppies for other things (like to cut up and use for padding in certain applications), but hated them on my bikes. I use wiley pilot gloves during mild weather. Works fine with an iPhone, though with the 7 and later, no glove will wake up or unlock the phone. Probably the best small thing I've done is switching from a x-grip to a slipgrip mount. Just night and day different.
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

Creature Comfort Product Reviews, eh? Link.
kieefjr loved this
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
kieefjr
Veteran

Post by kieefjr »

my little screamer beeper is a bit faint when having earbuds in. Works great with only earplugs but with Led Zeppelin blasting, no so much.

So, another option I've added, also from the same supplier is a LED lamp that plugs into the same harness.
I like it a lot.