Advice on Handling Anomaly

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Advice on Handling Anomaly

Post by bill lumberg »

My 2022 handles great- at speed, in the curves, on the interstate, but there is something up…

I left yesterday on the interstate, and started getting busyness and weaving in the front end. Not a tank slapper, but it kind of felt like the front tire was low and starting to dodge. It was alarming. Really felt like I had a tire going flat.

Since I don’t have tpms on this bike yet, I stopped and checked pressures. They were fine. Didn’t find anything loose. Tires looked like tires.

Over about 8 hours of interstate- I figured out that my weaving and wavering was from the wake of semi trucks. I can tell a truck is up ahead from the bike before I even see the truck. It’s wild.

This is repeatable with the screen up or down, and regardless of suspension damping setting. At any highway or fjr-nominal speed. I’ve never had a bike do this- to include my two previous FJR’s. Steering nut is torqued to 85ft/lbs, but I haven’t checked anything else.

Any suggestions?
Image1/2 lb. Teriyaki, 1/2 lb. Hot and spicy. If you know, you know.
Hppants, Cav47, 0face and 1 others loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Re: Advice on Handling Anomaly

Post by Red »

Bill,

I would check torques on the fork clamps, axles, and check for side play in the swing-arm (not likely). Check all of the windshield screws. Remove the top box, and make another test ride.

I had a tire get low on my car; the tire heated up, and showed the correct inflation when hot, but when it got cooled down, I saw the problem.
A TPMS would have sounded the alarm on a hot tire, before the pressure went low. Now my vehicles all have a TPMS. The cheap valve-cap units work well for me, but if you get a TPMS, make sure the batteries are replaceable in the sensors, whether they are internal or external sensors. With some systems, a non-replaceable battery means you buy a new sensor when the sensor battery runs down.
0face, wheatonFJR, and bill lumberg loved this
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

I’ve used Fobo for years. This bike is new, so I don’t have t-valves on it yet to support the monitors. Thanks for the suggestions.

I can actually watch the nose wobble left and right. Time to check some bolts and screws.
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

Does it do it with the stock windshield?

An after market windshield made my old Honda do some really weird things.

Every other after market windshield we have used on various bikes enhanced the bikes. Not that one.
bill lumberg loved this
Auburn
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006

Post by Auburn »

bill lumberg wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:13 am I’ve used Fobo for years. This bike is new, so I don’t have t-valves on it yet to support the monitors. Thanks for the suggestions.

I can actually watch the nose wobble left and right. Time to check some bolts and screws.
If you have metal valve stems, 1 would put the FOFB on so you can use them until you can install the T stems.
get out and ride! IBA #54706
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

bill lumberg wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:13 am I’ve used Fobo for years. This bike is new, so I don’t have t-valves on it yet to support the monitors. Thanks for the suggestions.

Yeah, that ain't right.
0face and bill lumberg loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

I wonder why it doesn’t manifest at any speed or angle- except in turbulence. I mean from 30mph to (alleged) 130mph. Nothing.

No parameters changed from before this showed up except for being on an interstate where tractor trailer trucks were allowed.

This hadn’t happened at all in the first 1,300 miles or so- but, again, none of those roads had semi trucks. Purty weird. My best guess is a tire issue. I’m letting it cool off so I can check Red’s suggestion.

Bike handles like greased witchcraft otherwise.
HotRodZilla, FJRPittsburgh, 0face and 1 others loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Post by 0face »

I know you'll do it already, but I'll add my 2 cents anyway... It really sounds like a tire or windshield thing.

But, be sure to check all the bolts around the rotors and calipers, even the bolts that hold the stay for rear caliper. Also check the bolts on your engine guards. I've had some back out, mostly because I'm an idiot and didn't torque them enough for whatever reason.

One last thing, check your VIN# and make sure Jwilly didn't swap rides with you... He's an a-hole like that.
Hppants, FJRPittsburgh, BikerGeek and 2 others loved this
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by NTXFJR »

Like said already, make sure the front axle clamp bolts on the forks are tight. Also, I'd check both sides top and bottom of the triple clamps. You might jack the front up off the ground and check for bearing run out allowing the wheel to slide side to side. I found a couple of issues with mine when it was new where the $15 hr green horn wrench bender didn't assemble things correctly.
FJRPittsburgh, wheatonFJR, bill lumberg and 1 others loved this
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
SkooterG
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004 X 2, 2009 X 2, 2013 X2, 2014, 2017, 2023...... I have issues!

Post by SkooterG »

The solution is simple. You need to make peace with your '18 FJR as obviously it has cursed your newer, younger model.
FJRPittsburgh, wheatonFJR, extrememarine and 4 others loved this
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

IBA #327

'04 FJR -- '09 FJR -- '13 FJR -- '14 FJR ES -- '17 FJR ES - What can I say? I have issues!
SLK50
FJRModel: 2006

Post by SLK50 »

Head bearing are loose, need re-torqued
after initial break-in.
This is not the “steering nut”.
FJRPittsburgh, rbentnail, bill lumberg and 2 others loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Agree, Yammy's steering heads are loose after a coupla hunnert miles, they all need retorque (some do at 600 mile service). As well, the torque spec I believe to be in error, too light, as every other bike I know using the same ball bearing design torques to at least 16 - 18 ft. lbs. final torque, or has an effort spec.

I would also recheck all the front wheel torques as it's the dealer dude who installs the front wheel, mirrors and dash trim...

What tire pressure you running on the front, the Yammy recommended 36 psi handles like a truck........ as well, those Bridgestone BT-023's.... I don't know anybody who really liked them..... SO, I'm gonna say, you'll like the handling better with the next set of tars.
El Toro Joe, wheatonFJR, bill lumberg and 2 others loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

The top steering stem nut has almost nothing to do with handling unless it is finger tight.

Makes me a contrarian but the symptoms described are similar to what I experienced when the steering bearings were too tight. The usual symptom of loose steering bearings is hands-free wobble during deceleration in the 40-45 MPH range. Too-tight makes it hard to find and hold a straight line. For me this manifests at 60+ MPH. Hard to explain why this didn’t manifest until 1300 miles.

At this point the thing to do is pull the top fork bridge to reach the castle nuts which set front bearing preload. Back the bottom one off to finger tight then back to 13 lbs-ft. If you note the original position before loosening and the final position after resetting the preload we can guess whether it was too loose or too tight before.

The optimal steering bearing preload is a subject of much debate. So if you don’t have the special tool just use a large pair of slip joint pliers and fake it.
Hppants, 0face, wheatonFJR and 1 others loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

I can pretty much guarantee you a new FJR's steering head bearings are never too tight. And yes, much debate about those who mention a wobble and what the cause is.

The good old fashioned way to snug them was to torque until there is an effort to turn (with the bike jacked so front end is off the ground), and some had an effort spec (fish scale at the handlebar end, 2 lbs. max.). I prefer the next to nothing effort to turn, 16 ft. lbs. is not too much, close to perfect, 18-20 is pushing it. So basically, don't need a tool if you use the effort method.
N4HHE loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Bounce
Veteran
FJRModel: 2003

Post by Bounce »

How was your luggage loaded? I've had that slow oscillation happen when I put heavier things in the trunk and unloaded the front wheel. It was just enough to create a slow, back-and-forth while going down the interstate. Had tossed my leather jacket in the trunk for ease of access and, on top of lighter things and how they were packed lower in the saddle bags.
escapefjrtist, bungie4, and wheatonFJR loved this
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

My two sense.

Remove top box and retest. My givi would make my 04 oscillate at hwy speeds. Put a passenger or duffel on the pillion seat and it would disappear.

Align front end. Remove fork springs. Loosen all bolts except upper triple tree fork tube clamps. Lower bike to engage forks entirely. While collapsed, tighten and torque all bolts from top to bottom. This includes front axle.

Of course, it could just be shitty factory tires
bill lumberg loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
D-Eagle
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR
2003 Honda VTX1800
2023 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT

Post by D-Eagle »

From that picture I blame the diesel you put in it.
Ok, I got nothing.......
SE Ohio: Never trust a hill.
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

Might just slow down a little. At the speeds I hear you run, some time space continuum is being pushed. Bead is seated perfectly right?

Is there a difference in the city cases vs the regular ones?
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Cav47 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:38 am Might just slow down a little. At the speeds I hear you run, some time space continuum is being pushed. Bead is seated perfectly right?

Is there a difference in the city cases vs the regular ones?
City cases get him 10 more HP...and are transforming into plasma at BL speeds. However, I'm with 0Face, our middle fingered friend...either tires or windshield. I will also concur with others if top box laden but no passenger...could be aerodynamics going on if this only occurs at "high" (cough) BL speeds.

edit: THIS if muffler bearings are ruled out.
raYzerman loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

I would not be surprised to learn this is corrected with a new front tire.

I did not (and do not) like the BT023. Not in the slightest.
HotRodZilla, bill lumberg, and wheatonFJR loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption