New to forum and to FJR

Stop in & tell us who you are, where you are from, etc.
jkelley82
Squid
FJRModel: 2003

Re: New to forum and to FJR

Post by jkelley82 »

So, I still haven't had time to figure out how to attach pictures but
In 365 miles since purchase, here are my immediate issues.
1) front left blinker works intermittent. Stuck my hand up her fairing and massaged the wires and they come back on but only until she is driven. It's either a wire or plug issue.
2) when cold, the battery struggles to start her. I would like to relocate the battery anyway. Has anyone done this?
3) no wind protection around the feet. It was 32 this morning and the wind slipped up through my overpants legs. I have heard of some sort of wing or something that will prevent this.

What are yalls thoughts.
Near Gilmer, TX (North east tx)
2003 fjr ‐ 72k
2003 Vstrom 1000 - 78k
2007 bandit 1250 - 38k
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

1. Blinkies can have corrosion in the sockets or the connector (which is not waterproof). Likely OK with a good cleaning and maybe new bulbs.
2. I wouldn't relocate the battery.... it's a feature, embrace it. FJR's like a nice good battery, perhaps time for a new one?? Side note, if with new battery starter is still slow, might be an aging starter relay that doesn't pass full current through, or heaven forbid, the starter brushes and comm are contaminated with oil... fun job as airbox and throttle bodies have to come out to access it. Perhaps swap in a known good battery or hook up a car battery with booster cables (car not running) and see if starter performs normally.
3. Once upon a time there were foot deflectors as an option (mostly in Europe), but unobtainium now perhaps. Perhaps someone else can help with homemade ones. Ride with the balls of your feet on the pegs to keep the feet a little higher. Heated socks are nice.
N4HHE and jkelley82 loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
FastPappy
Veteran
FJRModel: 2009 AE

Post by FastPappy »

Welcome from the Big Apple and congrats on the new ride. Enjoy! :D
jkelley82 loved this
Pappy 09AE
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

jkelley82 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:20 amIn 365 miles since purchase, here are my immediate issues.
1) front left blinker works intermittent. Stuck my hand up her fairing and massaged the wires and they come back on but only until she is driven. It's either a wire or plug issue.
2) when cold, the battery struggles to start her. I would like to relocate the battery anyway. Has anyone done this?
3) no wind protection around the feet. It was 32 this morning and the wind slipped up through my overpants legs. I have heard of some sort of wing or something that will prevent this.
What are yalls thoughts.
jkelley82,

1. Yep, sorry.
2. Dirty battery terminals and cable ends will act just like a failing battery. You want clean, shiny metal with new bolts there. You may also want a lighter weight engine oil for the winter, your call. A clean, healthy battery will not need to be re-located. A Battery Tender is always a good idea, of course.
3. You can get the Yamaha Foot Guards, maybe from Europe, but tell the wallet to brace for impact. They were over US$150 each, the last time I looked. I would have some elastic sewed into the overpants cuffs, use better boots, and/or make the foot protectors from clear two-liter soda bottles (prolly work better, too). Fabric shops sell sew-on elastic tapes.
jkelley82 loved this
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
jkelley82
Squid

Post by jkelley82 »

I'm going to look into a good high-quality gel or lithium battery I think. There is alot of odd and end connections on it right now that will need to be cleaned up so I think leaving the battery where it is and running a good fuse block under the seat with jumping connections is going to be my route. The farings have to come off soon so I can fiberglass them up and I will fix the blinker issue and run the wires at that point.
2003 fjr ‐ 72k
2003 Vstrom 1000 - 78k
2007 bandit 1250 - 38k
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

Jkelly82,

You probably have a saturated glass-mat battery, stock. The Lithiums do not do well in the cold, for cranking power. Your call, of course.
Where (roughly) are you located? (Nice if you would update your avatar/signature to show your FJR year and model, and location; otherwise we usually have to ask.)
N4HHE loved this
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
jkelley82
Squid

Post by jkelley82 »

I'm going to be honest here. I don't have the slightest clue how to attach a photo. Is there step by step for the computer illiterate like me?
2003 fjr ‐ 72k
2003 Vstrom 1000 - 78k
2007 bandit 1250 - 38k
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

jkelley82 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:08 pm I'm going to be honest here. I don't have the slightest clue how to attach a photo. Is there step by step for the computer illiterate like me?
You'll have to host the photo somewhere, like smugmug or another online source. Then take the link to the photo, and in the eiditor here, click the little icon with the mountain and sun on it that looks like this -> Image, and paste in the image link between the IMG tags that look like below without the spaces.

[ IMG ] [ /IMG ]

You've been spoiled with the latest updates on TWT that make loading images super easy. Over here it's more the normal forum method needing a dedicated host for your images.
jkelley82 loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

jkelley82 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:01 pm I'm going to look into a good high-quality gel or lithium battery I think.
Lithium retrofit batteries are a fad. As has already been stated cold starting will suffer. In my experience LiFePO4 struggled under 50°F.

LiFePO4 is known for low internal resistance at warm temperatures. This results in CCA ratings beyond belief. But they can’t rate LiFePO4 at 32°F because it doesn’t work worth a darn that cold so they fudge a number at temperatures the LiFePO4 likes. At cold temperatures internal resistance soars, the battery has voltage but can’t source current due to the resistance.

One other ding: while a LiFePO4 may be “rated” 2x the CCA you would expect, the amp-hour energy capacity is likely 1/4 that of an AGM battery.

In other words I think you would be better off with a cheap no-name AGM battery even if you had to replace it every 3 years. My favorite independent dealer has had good luck with the WPS (big national motorsports distributor) store brand “Firepower” batteries. Firepower also has a line of lithium batteries.
The farings have to come off soon so I can fiberglass them up and I will fix the blinker issue and run the wires at that point.
Fiberglass may not be the best way to repair plastic. This company used to be called Urethane Supply. Long ago I purchased their “ATV Fender Repair Kit” which included a modified soldering iron for welding plastic. I’ve had great success repairing the waxy plastic gas tanks on dirtbikes. But the main reason for remembering this company is the great information they have online as to identifying plastic and then what methods are available to repair.

Can also search for Polyvance in Amazon. Prices are higher from Amazon than direct. Amazon has Chinese clones of the low end Polyvance welder. But I suspect Polyvance would be the best source of quality welding rod.

https://www.polyvance.com/Airless-Welde ... -Welders-1

This is a gas tank I tried to glue:

Failed miserably. But this is after using the Urethane Supply welder. Held for 10 years that I last heard.

Hit “reply” to this post to see how the images were inserted.
jkelley82 and wheatonFJR loved this
jkelley82
Squid

Post by jkelley82 »

Awesome, thank you... I will look into polyvance. I wasn't sure how fiberglass world work. Just know I don't want to spend more for replacement fairing than I did for the bike of I could find a way to repair the ones on it.
2003 fjr ‐ 72k
2003 Vstrom 1000 - 78k
2007 bandit 1250 - 38k
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

jkelley82 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:01 pm Awesome, thank you... I will look into polyvance. I wasn't sure how fiberglass world work. Just know I don't want to spend more for replacement fairing than I did for the bike of I could find a way to repair the ones on it.
Hope I helped. Admire your willingness to dig in and learn to repair yourself. It’s always educational even if all you learn is that paying Tesla to replace a 12v battery is cheap. (see another post of mine tonight)

Before long we will have you changing your own tires! Much easier than changing a Tesla 12v battery.
jkelley82 loved this
wingshot
Squid
FJRModel: 2005 ABS

Post by wingshot »

Welcome from the PNW. Enjoy the new to you ride.
I'm posting to keep from getting booted!