Eastbound and Down

Public Ride & Trip report sub-forum.

Ride reports (RR) posted here are view-able to non-member readers, no log in will be required to visit this sub-forum - use this sub-forum if you want friends, family, co-workers who are not members of the site to be able to read and follow along.
FJRfarrier
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2012

Eastbound and Down

Post by FJRfarrier »

Eastbound and Down

Spotwalla Stalker Link

Day 1 Wednesday, September 8th
Headed out of town about 9:30am. It was a beautiful day for a ride. “Loaded up and truckin…”

Jumped on the 4 lane Rt 30 and headed east. After about 85 miles, got off the major road and headed towards Millersburg, OH. Riding through Amish area is nice.

Was supposed to grab burgers at a Pub restaurant in town and go and meet with a friend for lunch. But, she texted me and told me that the Pub wasn’t open for lunch today. And neither was the other good burger joint in town. While I had pulled over at a park to figure out what we were going to do for lunch, I was being buzzed by a crop duster! Cool!

So we settled on McDonald’s.

Grabbed the food to go, and went and met Laura for lunch at her work. She’s an ADV friend that I met last year and have ridden dual sports with multiple times.

After her lunch break was over, I headed east again. With the GPS to avoid the highways. Ended up going through Sugarcreek. Saw a sign for the World’s Largest Cuckoo Clock. Sure, I’ll check it out!

Didn’t feel like waiting around for it to ding on the hour.
Headed east some more. Crossed into West Virginia.

And then Pennsylvania, 6 miles later.

Eventually landed me at the home of the Pittsburgh’s! 240 miles for the day.

Before I had even gone inside, I was taking their Honda CRF250L and Kawasaki Z125 Pro for rides!

Got cleaned up, and we went out to dinner. Jeff, Lisa, Trevor, girlfriend Julia, and I.

Went to Bubba’s Burghers, which is in the same complex as a hockey rink, and overlooks it. Really neat!
Had a delicious Pickled Beer Cheese Burgher.

Then for dessert, we went to a chocolate store!

So much chocolate! Including a castle made out of chocolate, and chocolate cascading down the wall!

Walked out of there with a small variety of chocolate pieces. Yum!

Back to the house to nibble on chocolate, watch TV, socialize, and pet the puppers.
Last edited by FJRfarrier on Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FJRPittsburgh, Redfish, LKLD and 6 others loved this
I haven’t made any really bad decisions lately... I’m getting bored.

IBA #60909
FJRfarrier
Contributor
Veteran

Re: Eastbound and Down

Post by FJRfarrier »

Day 2 Thursday, September 9th
After eating a delicious breakfast made by Lisa, I packed my bags and headed east some more. Huge thank you to Jeff and Lisa for their wonderful hospitality.
Set the GPS to avoid tolls and avoid highway. As much of a habit as I have for just pounding pavement on an interstate, this was different for me! “We’re gonna do what they say can’t be done…”
And the roads I ended up riding were beautiful, and was coming across some neat bridge structures.

The road I am usually on, versus the one I chose for this journey!

2 hours later, eventually pulling into my day’s activity destination, the Flight 93 National Memorial near Shanksville, PA.

Designated motorcycle parking was nice to have- considering how busy the place was. I guess that’s expected when the 20th anniversary is a couple days away.

It’s hard to describe this place. I can’t be excited about it, like I am about a lot of things. It’s sombering. It’s something everyone should check out.

These artists for recreating photos of all the crew and passengers, using chalk. Stunning works of art.

Back to the bike to find I had been “Hogged”.

Was watching a storm cloud come in, so I geared up and made my way out. With a stop at the Tower of Voices. Perfect timing for a flyover of military planes and helicopters.

Walked around there a bit,
listened to the chimes,
caught myself on the webcam,
watched the planes fly back over,
and then knew I needed to book it east if I wanted to outrun the rain.
Cut a lunch stop and a slight detour to an overlook out of the schedule, because I didn’t want to get stormed on.

But still had a good ride on Rt 30. Even though there were times I was wishing for a passing lane, and wished I could will the slow drivers in front of me to “just pull over and let me pass!!” But the moments I could pass them, was pure bliss.

Made it to my hotel in Chambersburg just in time to not get poured on. Unloaded the bike under the portico, and then quickly got it to a parking spot and the cover on.

182 miles for the day. That’s it. Wowshers. “I’ve got a long short way to go, and a short long time to get there…”

Went inside, exploded in the room, showered and cleaned up, while it was raining outside. Then the weather broke, and turned beautiful again, in time for me to walk to dinner down the street. 10% off coupon from the hotel, sure! Texas Roadhouse, steak and shrimp, sweet potato, ceasar salad, and rolls. Yum!
FJRPittsburgh, Redfish, LKLD and 9 others loved this

IBA #60909
FJRfarrier
Contributor
Veteran

Post by FJRfarrier »

Day 3 Friday, September 10th
Started the morning off with breakfast in the hotel, and then on the road to Gettysburg.

Decided on the combo package of movie, cyclorama, and the bus tour. Movie was educational, and the cyclorama was awesome to see! 360 degree painted mural. With lights and sounds putting you in the action of the war.

Bus tour was nice. Air-conditioned ride, and a guide to tell you the highlights. I would have been lost if I would have attempted to tour the grounds by myself.

We got to get out of the bus multiple times, and described to us what they went through for 4 days back in 1863. This is the view from Little Round Top.

Back at the gift store, I got up the courage to approach a lady wearing an Aerostich suit. (I wasn’t wearing mine, it was on the bike) Come to find out, she recognized me from Aerostich and the FJR groups on facebook! I recognized her name as well! We had a good chat.

Then got on the bike, and wanted to hit a couple points that were not on the bus tour.

The Ohio monument from their involvement in the different battles.

Headed northeast then to Chuck and Dianne’s home! 83 miles for the day. Woo boy, big timing it there. Lol

Dinner was shrimp scampi noodles- yum!

Lots of conversation was had, and loving on these 2 cats! Sheldon and Leonard.

Who then was intrigued that I was staying the night, and felt the need to investigate my stuff.
Uncle Hud, Redfish, LKLD and 9 others loved this

IBA #60909
FJRfarrier
Contributor
Veteran

Post by FJRfarrier »

Day 4 Saturday, September 11th
Chuck and I took off, with a quick stop at the donut shop. I had found it on a roadside America page, because of the giant donut on the roof. Lol

And dang, those donuts were delicious!

Chuck led me on a ride with some pretty cool stuff to see! Didn’t eat here, but the painting on the side of the building sure was neato!

Our main destination was Hershey’s Chocolate World!

I had been here before as a young child, and I wanted to go again! Free tour ride, with a piece of chocolate at the end! Yay!

After we got back on the bikes, took the back way out, which was near the rides for the amusement park.

And then a quick stop in town to take a pic of the light posts. They’re Hershey kisses!

Chuck had a route planned with a couple different things to see. Covered bridges!

And a cookie company that had popped up on my facebook feed, and looked yummy!
White chip macadamia. Huge!

Another covered bridge!

Pretty countryside.

And then a stop at the Ruins Hall.

It’s a skeleton of a burned out warehouse. That is now used to display creative tagging.

Makes for a neat backdrop for pictures.

Then on the road again, and a downhill view of Three Mile Island.

Happened before my time, so was an interesting thing to learn about. Almost a major whoopsie!
Then the riverside view of it.

Back to the house, 146 miles for the day.

Did some more chatting, and admiring Chuck's 1977 Honda CB400F. I should have ridden it, shouldn't I have?

And then dinner. OMG, yummy!

And I was trying to figure out a way to smuggle this kitty home with me…
Last edited by FJRfarrier on Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redfish, LKLD, D-Eagle and 8 others loved this

IBA #60909
FJRfarrier
Contributor
Veteran

Post by FJRfarrier »

Day 5 Sunday, September 12th
Said goodbye and huge thank you to Chuck and Dianne for their wonderful hospitality.

On the road, headed east again. Crossed into Delaware, briefly. My 46th state on the FJR!

And just that quickly, crossing a big bridge into New Jersey! ”I’m eastbound, just watch ol’ Bandit Julie run”

Off the interstate, headed south now. Passed by a horse show!

Found a sandwich shop to grab a lunch from.

I figured I could try their Cuban- since I love Cubanos so much. Holy crap, no. Lol.
It was a good sandwich, but in no way is it a Cuban. Lol
I don’t know what part of me thought that it would be close to authentic, I should have gotten a Cheesesteak…

Anyways, grabbed it and headed down to the port to get on a ferry!

Motorcycles were staged to go on the boat first- and I was first in line!

I’M ON A BOAT!!!

At the very front! (which turned out to be the back when we started moving)

Managed to score a free sticker!

Hour and a half later, landed in Delaware and then a drive south along the coast into Maryland!

And to my hotel for the evening. 223 miles today. (some of those were boat miles, because of the tracking device I used and not my trip meter)

Oh yeah, I exploded! And I splurged a smidge for a luxury room?? Jacuzzi tub! King and Queen bed! 12th floor! Ocean view balcony!

Cleaned up and down to the boardwalk to stroll for the evening. Looking back up that the awesome hotel!

What a cool atmosphere for the evening!

Knowing there was a webcam on the boardwalk… of course I had to make an appearance.

Grabbed a cheesesteak sub for dinner. Took it back to my room to enjoy while sitting on the balcony.

And then, and THEN it was time to enjoy the luxury.

Sitting in the tub, drinking tea, watching TV. Haha, yeah!
FJRPittsburgh, Redfish, LKLD and 8 others loved this

IBA #60909
FJRfarrier
Contributor
Veteran

Post by FJRfarrier »

Day 6 Monday, September 13th
I set the alarm for really early this morning, so I could wake up and watch the sunrise over the ocean.

6:40am rolls around, and the sun makes an appearance on the horizon.

I sit on the balcony. People are strolling the beach and boardwalk. It’s quiet and peaceful.

Then, I wanted a bit more sleep. Luckily the curtains are dark enough to keep most of the light out.

After a bit more sleep, I then wake up and get on the road. Head south to Assateague Island. Wild ponies!! This was a mom and baby.

Stopped for some pics at a pull off.

Ponies out in the grassland.

Driving up and down the road, this guy pops out of the shrubs and onto the road.

Then off the island and headed south. Into Virginia.

Then back over onto Assateague Island. From the Chincoteague access.

Found a nature trail to hike…

To a lighthouse!

Getting hot, and hungry. Back into Chincoteague and saw this cute Taco restaurant.

Sat in the shade, on a sand patio, light breeze blowing, and enjoyed some shrimp tacos.

Then south, to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel.

Pretty cool!

This big container ship was about to go over, as I was going under! Really weird to get to the other side of the tunnel and have the boat in my mirrors OVER where I just was…

Checked into my hotel at Virginia Beach. 188 miles for the day.

Hotel had bicycles available to use, for free. Grabbed one and took a ride on the boardwalk. That’s my bike and my hotel!

Rode to the end of the boardwalk.

The last time I was in Virginia Beach was in 2005 with Pantasia, performing in a steel drum band competition. We tied for National Grand Champion that year. 16 years later, I return to that site; representing a piece of Pantasia, with the Hawaiian shirt. Ah, memories.

Back to the hotel, returned the bicycle, and then walked across the street for an early dinner. Steak and shrimp bowl, and a Caribbean margarita.

Finished, and went back to the hotel. Sat on my ocean view balcony and watched the boats out in the ocean and people enjoying the last of the daylight on the beach.

Had grabbed a couple shrimp tacos from the restaurant for a later snack. They were good. (But, I keep trying to find shrimp tacos as good as the ones in Florida from this past March. Those crunchy shells were amazing!!)
Uncle Hud, FJRPittsburgh, Redfish and 12 others loved this

IBA #60909
FJRfarrier
Contributor
Veteran

Post by FJRfarrier »

Day 7 Tuesday, September 14th
Decided I didn’t want to wake up early again to watch the sunrise again. But eventually, the sunshine had me up at 7:45am.

Thought the room décor suited me quite well. Definitely something I would hang in my house…

Up and out the door, and on the way south. North Carolina!

And then to another ferry! From Knotts Island to Currituck.

Sat on the ground in the shade of my bike, and enjoyed the solitary moment.

Until this guy came around! Trotted up to me, then to the ditch, picked out a stick, and dropped it at my feet. So we played!

Then it was time to prepare to load the boat. He still wanted to play!

Then onto the ferry…

I was the only bike on this boat! A lot smaller than the first one…

The water was so peaceful.

An hour later, I was off the boat and headed south. Towards Kitty Hawk. But it was getting to be lunch time…
Saw this food trailer as I drove by, sitting in the shade, picnic tables, and plenty of shaded area for me and my bike. I turned around and went back.

And I am so glad I did! That was the best shrimp I have had! Shrimp Po’boy. Gosh darn absolutely delicious!

Then on into Kitty Hawk and the Outer Banks. For the Wright Brothers National Memorial.

Quite the expansive complex. “They taught us to fly”

The first 4 powered flights. Starting point is the stone on the far left. The next 3, and then the 4th is all the way to the right.

Metal sculpture depicting the first flight.

Huge monument on the top of the dune. This dune is where they were launching their first gliders from.

View from the monument, looking towards their flight area.

Then headed back inland. Something big was burning somewhere…

Crossing this bridge and wow! Lots of fancy condos, with lots of HUGE and fancy yachts!

Happened to have an adrenaline rush when passing a line of cruisers…

And then to the hotel in Williamston for the night. 183 miles for the day.

Rode out to get dinner, Subway, and then to the laundromat for some much needed clean clothes!
FJRPittsburgh, Redfish, LKLD and 5 others loved this

IBA #60909
FJRfarrier
Contributor
Veteran

Post by FJRfarrier »

Day 8 Wednesday, September 15th
Up and out the hotel after a light breakfast provided. Didn’t really have any plans for the day. Just to get to the overnight destination sometime in the afternoon/early evening. And the goal was to stay off the interstates.
Yes, I giggled when I saw this tree…

At this point, I was following my GPS and hoping that the roads wouldn’t get any smaller than this…

And look what I found!!! Another ferry!!

This was a bigger boat than the last, but a shorter distance.

I was enjoying the boating atmosphere!

The bike has been on 3 ferries in 3 different states in the past 4 days.

This was the Jamestown ferry, so that is historic Jamestown there.

Lunch at a Subway in West Point. (Not the same West Point that I thought)

It was HOT riding! Air temp gauge was reading 91*. Had to get the air flow up my sleeves!

227 miles later, I was done!

I had made it to Bob’s garage. Along with Scott and Scott.

Looks like we’re starting the EOM shindig early in Virginia…

IBA #60909
FJRfarrier
Contributor
Veteran

Post by FJRfarrier »

Day 9 Thursday, September 16th
Huge thank you to Bob and Janet for their wonderful hospitality.

And then we were off, and following Bob.

Picked up Mike and Gary along the way.

For a total of 5 guys and me.

Stopping at some overlooks

Twisting through curves.

Stopping for lunch

More curves

Another overlook

Boys

Into West Virginia

And then RAIN! Only a couple miles from the hotel too. So close!

I ran to Walmart to pick up my libations for the weekend. Ran into Don and Kim. Shopped with them and then followed them back to the hotel.

Pulling into the EOM parking lot!

First one to greet was Dan from Maine!

350 miles for the day. Phew.

Dinner was graciously brought back for me and Tyler from the Mexican restaurant thanks to Andy and Susie. Thanks!

Lots of socializing was done. Lots of catching up with old friends. Lots of hugs. Lots of laughter. Lots of drinks were consumed. And no pictures taken.
Well, Tyler did get one of my shirt for the evening…
FJRPittsburgh, LKLD, D-Eagle and 9 others loved this

IBA #60909
FJRfarrier
Contributor
Veteran

Post by FJRfarrier »

Day 10 Friday, September 17th
Well, after talking into the wee hours of the morning… and the west coast girl not quite used to east coast time… me and my roomie slept in. Way slept in. But we did eventually get up and about and make our way to the restaurant down the street for breakfast/lunch. I was loving the table and chairs!

Biscuits and gravy…. Yum!

Then we decided to go for a leisurely ride…

Falls Mill

Psst… hey… is that…. Tyler????

We went to Ireland!

Twisties

Holly River State Park. We heard they had waterfalls…

Thanks to Tyler asking some park people where they are, we wouldn’t have found them any other way!
Down this rinky-dink road for 3 or 4 miles, that then turned into a gravel road…

But hey, we made it!

And boy was it pretty!

We had the place to ourselves.

So much green!

Then on down the road to a Custard Stand. Yum! Salted caramel ice cream. (I took a pic of Tyler’s because I had already slurped the ridges off of mine. Lol)

And funnel cake fries!

Then we made our way back towards the hotel. Came across these creatures…

120 miles for day. Not too shabby considering the day started at 1pm. Lol

We had grabbed steak salads at the ice cream stand to bring back and have for dinner. And they were delicious!

Friday night festivities were hopping and the drinks were flowing good! These ladies got me to braid their hair before my fingers got too tingly… I remember calling them my Braid-y Bunch…

I don’t quite remember what all went on that night. I know we had a good time…

I know we were sitting by the firepit…

IBA #60909
FJRfarrier
Contributor
Veteran

Post by FJRfarrier »

Day 11 Saturday, September 18th
This morning wasn’t as late of a sleep in as the day before… but it was still a slow start to the morning. So off we go to the same restaurant for breakfast. I decided on a bit less heavy food for today- a BLT sandwich.

Then we were joined by Kevin and Kris. We had a somewhat idea of what we wanted to see and do today. Nice roads…

Some smaller roads…

Some river overlooks… and some good friends.

The ground was wet, we could tell it had just briefly rained. But we didn’t get wet. Made for cool looking steam off the roofs of buildings.

Into the Gauley River National Recreation Area. Some smaller roads again… that eventually turned to gravel. And we had to turn around. Wasn’t worth seeing what might have been at the end of road.

Back to the main paved road. Came across a dam.

Possibly a future Aerostich ad picture?

Then we boot scoot and boogied back to the hotel…

145 miles for the day.

So that we could make it in time for the group picture and banquet!

Food was yummy. Camaraderie was splendid.

A fun night socializing on the patio, also.
No pics, again. Dang.
Did get one before bed of all the bikes in this part of the parking lot…
Last edited by FJRfarrier on Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Redfish, LKLD, Hppants and 6 others loved this

IBA #60909
FJRfarrier
Contributor
Veteran

Post by FJRfarrier »

Day 12 Sunday, September 19th
This morning, the roomie was headed out with a group of riders. So we had to set an alarm to actually get up at a certain time. It was foggy!

Down to the parking lot to pack the bike and say goodbye to friends. My Florida family, love them!

Then a big group of us went to the restaurant for food. 2 tables pushed together for people, and 1 for gear.

I had the BLT again, because it was delicious.

Then I ventured off up the road towards home. Came across a covered bridge…

And then I was gonna do another ferry! The Sisterville Ferry across the Ohio River. But it was closed when I got there. Turns out, the operator had a family situation come up and couldn’t operate it this weekend. Bummer.

So I made my way to the bridge to get across, and back into Ohio.

Met up with Barry, an ADV friend that I have ridden dirt bikes with this past year.

Lunch and sweets at DQ in Marietta.

He was jealous that I had met up with Laura on the first day, and he wanted to be a part of this ride report too. Lol.

After lunch, I just jumped on the interstate to make the quickest time home.
Coming back into the homeland. Flat farm fields. Corn and beans are turning brown. That’s home.

380 miles for the day.

Unload the gear and bike, do some laundry, and prepare for the hectic work week.
Work work work.
Uncle Hud, FJRPittsburgh, Redfish and 11 others loved this

IBA #60909
FJRfarrier
Contributor
Veteran

Post by FJRfarrier »

Ok, back to the motorcycle adventure. Lol.
To sum it up....

2,480 miles for the 12 days.
4 nights in hotels alone.
3 nights in hotel with my favorite roomie.
And 4 nights with FJR friends across the area.
3 ferries, 1 bus, and 1 bicycle. And minimal interstate travel!!!!
8 states, 1 of which was new.
Quite a few new stickers, too!
And lots of memories!!!

So maybe this trip wasn’t what I typically do. But it was extremely enjoyable and memorable.
This trip is also not what I had planned at the start of the year. Heck, didn’t think I would take another vacation since I had taken the one to Florida in March- Sunshine On My Shoulders. Then the summer was rolling through, I was working a lot, and wanted to do something. Clients and friends were taking trips to Colorado, and I was craving the mountains. So I started setting aside 2 weeks and planning for Colorado. But alas, work got in the way and had to cut 2 days off. Then I started to hesitate if I wanted to pound pavement to Colorado, just to ride for a couple days, and then pound pavement to West Virginia. Then I started to second guess my stamina on the FJR for that mileage. I haven’t ridden like that for a couple years! So I started to look at what else there is to do. “Oh look, I haven’t hit Delaware” “Oh look, 9/11 20th anniversary” “Oh look, friends to visit and stay with along the way” “Oh look at all the things I want to do!” And before too long, a loop had emerged.

This trip involved smaller days, stopping to see and do things, walking boardwalks, paying admittance fees for things, seeking out good food, and overall just enjoying the adventure!

Thanks to all those who were a part of it! And thanks for following along!
Last edited by FJRfarrier on Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Uncle Hud, FJRPittsburgh, Redfish and 16 others loved this

IBA #60909
FastPappy
Veteran
FJRModel: 2009 AE

Post by FastPappy »

Fantastic! I especially enjoyed the passing sequences. :D
wheatonFJR and FJRfarrier loved this
Pappy 09AE
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

Life is now complete, I made it into a FJRFarrier ride report. Glad we could host you and be a part of your adventure. Sheldon still goes into the guest room looking for you.
Redfish, wheatonFJR, and FJRfarrier loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Wow, Miss Julie, that there's some trip report. Very kool, enjoyed every second of it.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
escapefjrtist
Veteran
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A

Post by escapefjrtist »

Awesome trip Julie. Thanks for sharing the adventure with us!!

~G
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere
fjray
Veteran
FJRModel: 04

Post by fjray »

Great job. It's nice that you smart folks put in the effort to post up your adventures for us luddites to enjoy.
All things are simple when approached with a simple mind.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Thanks Julie!

I like the way you travel…

Edit: This MAY be one of my favorite RRs ever.
FJRfarrier loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Intech
I'm Not Back
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015

Post by Intech »

Awesome report. Glad to be part of it. You are always welcome here!
FJRfarrier loved this
RIP BeemerDonS JSNS
RIP Petey
RIP jwilly