Is it time to replace my FJR?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Re: Is it time to replace my FJR?

Post by ionbeam »

My wife is an enabler, if I want a new motorcycle or an additional motorcycle she is right there behind me -- pushing me forward. We have rented a number of motorcycle models I was interested in and lived with them for at least a thousand miles (a day or two at the least). We still have the FJR and other bikes in our garage have been divested because only the FJR was getting miles and love. If you can't borrow a bike you are interested in, see if you can rent one, it can be an eye opener. It might be harder for you to do though, up there in polar bear country.

----------------------------------------
If you do rent a bike, check it over carefully before riding off. To make a short story long:

In Phoenix I ask the rental guy if there is a mileage limit on a 5 day rental. He says not really, it would be something ridiculous like a thousand miles. I tell him that by tomorrow I will probably be over that. He looked at me kinda strange and says that if that's true we will cross that bridge when we get to it.

Over the next few days I fixed the dragging rear brake that was over heating the rear disk, the damaged brake pedal, changed the burned out headlight, fixed their cobbled auxiliary equipment wiring and a few other things to get the bike safe and operational. I'm sure the rental company doesn't want riders working on their bikes but I was in the middle of nowhere when these items came to light. I kept records and took pictures to document the issues and the fixes. The rental place was grateful for the work I did and pleased with the work I did. And, they were happy that they didn't have to drive hours to nowhere to either fix or replace the rental.

Next he did an odometer check. Then he verified the starting mileage again, then checked the odometer again :shock: He finally said that for the work I did and the number of miles I put on the bike he considered it a wash. He paid me for the parts used and gave me a discount for the next rental and endorsed it with NO MILEAGE LIMIT and his signature.
Steel_Gin, Bounce, Uncle Hud and 2 others loved this
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2024 BMW R1300 GS

Post by CollingsBob »

...and the KTM Super Duke GT is off the list. Too many substantiated stories of a high speed wobble between 200km/hr and 240km/hr.
The Ducati V4 Multistrada with configurator is now on the Ducati Canada website. The price for the V4S is at the high end of my personal ballpark, but..
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

CollingsBob wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:23 pm ...and the KTM Super Duke GT is off the list. Too many substantiated stories of a high speed wobble between 200km/hr and 240km/hr.
The Ducati V4 Multistrada with configurator is now on the Ducati Canada website. The price for the V4S is at the high end of my personal ballpark, but..
Guarantee that the Ducati will spend more time in the shop than the FJR. (Nice bikes though.)
CollingsBob and wheatonFJR loved this
LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

Yeah, what he said (Pants).

Bob, get what you want. I love my FJR, but it might not suit me 5-10 yrs from now, and if that happens, I’d find something that will. Riding a motorcycle, after all, is what really love.
Uncle Hud loved this
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Bob, WTF is wrong with you wanting to ditch the FJR you Dumshit!! BTW, nice talking to you today, I immediately rode up to Sudbury (igloomifuktuk), called Wawa where you were waiting at the goose and they said you'd already left.... so I turned around and went home. Dumshit.
bigjohnsd and CollingsBob loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
mcatrophy
FJRModel: 2018 FJR1300AS

Post by mcatrophy »

CollingsBob wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:07 pm ...
Ducati V4 Multistrada ...
Friend of mine just got rid of his Multistrada. He loved riding it, but the maintenance and reliability problems just became too much.

Too many special tools needed for stuff like removing the wheel for tyre changes, even for adjusting the chain. And too many bits fell off, too many odd error messages in the display.

After listening to his moans, and helping him adjust his chain (I'm no stranger to chain adjustment, but my g*d, what a pain), I wouldn't suggest one.
Uncle Hud loved this
mcatrophy
2018 FJR1300AS - AE in the USA, if only they could have one :o .
2014 FJR1300AS 2010 FJR1300AS 2006 FJR1300AS '02 Trophy 1200 '01 Bonnevill '55 Tiger Cub
ImageMy web site
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Are you really gonna meet me in Wawa this time?? Can you get your head around this bike?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touring/c ... 1503672374
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

My buddy Jim had a VFR 1200, none DCT though. He came down to SEO once or twice with me. I've ridden it a few times in both interstate and twisties.

Jim was like 6'9" or something (though he'd swear up and down he was 6'4") and the VFR is a physically ENORMOUS bike. Its not that the bars are low, they are just REALLY far away. I'd get sore wrists in 5 minutes. It turns like it has a wheelbase like a Frieghtliner. Great on the hwy though. That engine. Oh my. So deceiving, leave it in second and ram it onto the stops. The FJR, you'd get the raped ape going around 6500rpm. Not so with that V4. It would just go like hell and and stay there. No big rush. Its a electric locomotive.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

I sat on a VFR1200, thought about getting one. It was very similar to sitting on my 800, just bigger. Riding positions similar, but hey, there are risers to help that.... still a little lean forward more than an FJR. Can't say I'd call it long distance tourer.
I also rode a buddy's VFR1200X, the adventure version. Now that's big and comfortable and a freakin 34" seat height. Had DCT, my first go with that. Like driving an automatic, but can do manual too. Tad too much weird for me... can't find one anyway. Rather pissed Honda did not bring the VFR800X to North America, now that I could get my head around. VFR adventure style.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2024 BMW 1300 GS?, 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

Converted from kilos your FJR has 33,282 miles. A pittance. Feeling better now? :)

In a perfect world I'd have a BMW1250RT. I looked long an hard at a nice crimson colored recently. There is only one BMW shop in Spokane Washington. The shop sells not only BMW but everything else in the power sports spectrum. The service department was so busy they were not taking reservations and had a two month backlog. Ya can't buy a BMW service manual so finding procedures is a hit and miss thing. These two factors kept my wallet in my pocket.
FjrjrF, Cav47, wheatonFJR and 1 others loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

In a perfect world, I'd have 3 motorcycles:

1. A dual sport rigged for F/S roads and some simple backpacking and primative camping.

2. A 600-ish cc twisty bike tall enough for my frame and rigged for day trips in the mountains, which would exist in my backyard.

3. The FJR for the tours.

Every day is one day closer to that world....
Cav47 and Uncle Hud loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Snowflake
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2014ES

Post by Snowflake »

I've seen posts like this a couple times: "If you love your FJR, don't test ride the new GoldWing". So far I haven't been tempted, but its a new year. Stuff can change.
Uncle Hud loved this
Snowflake
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2014ES

Post by Snowflake »

I've seen posts like this a couple times: "If you love your FJR, don't test ride the new GoldWing". So far I haven't been tempted, but its a new year. Stuff can change.