What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by bill lumberg »

Went to a good friend’s place this morning. Wet roads, pine needles, wet leaves, a couple of young deer darting out, and that being the last trip on a PR4GT rear,.. made for an extremely spirited and rewarding ride to his house.

Said friend showed me how a functional adult checks and tightens steering bearings.

Tore the space time continuum to Publix for steaks, then went home and changed my rear tire. All went well until the very end, when my inadvertently leaving the brake brace bolt for last, after everything else had been snugged up, made things hard. Stupid has consequences.

Got that pesky bolt in, left and slowly scrubbed in the rear tire. Went back home and geared up the grandson (cowboy boots outside the pants are stylish for young boys, if you aren’t in the click). We made a run to the nearby, just-opened, racetrack gas station. We (me and Mrs. Lumberg, can’t speak for the grandson), aren’t happy to have a gas station built near our rural neighborhood. But goddamn! I have a 24/7/365 IBA start receipt .5 miles from my house. I’ve had to go 10 miles before my trip officially started, trying to find a gas station open at 2am.

Aaanywho, went to the gas station, did some figure 8’s, bought some candy for the rio, and went home. Proceeded to, true to form, ineptly drill and pin my bags. Right now, I only have big cable ties in the holes. But I kind of like that. I credit the gentleman from EOM for pushing me to pin, not by persuasion, but merely by sharing how his day went.

I am careful and competent at securing my bags. And I have over 100k on FJR’s without losing a bag. But just last week I found a bag locked properly, handle and tab. But both handle and tab were just above the secure point. Yay me...

Ride safe.
gixxerjasen, Uncle Hud, and wheatonFJR loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
D-Eagle
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR
2003 Honda VTX1800
2023 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT

Post by D-Eagle »

Put new Pilot Road 4 GT's on front and rear in anticipation of the SEO Rumble in a couple of weeks. At 8500 miles, I was not down to the wear bars yet. Pretty sure I could have made it to Ohio and back, but wussed out and put new tires on and now won't have to worry about it.

On a sidenote the motorcycle shop that mounted/balanced the tires for me is a large multi brand dealership. It is almost without bikes. Told me they have sold almost everything and can't get new stock in. When they do get a truck in, everything on it is already sold. The service area had to decline incoming jet ski's as they were out of room. Service was slammed, jackets/gloves/4 wheelers/side by sides/motorcycles gone or had "sold" tags on what little was there. Unreal.
SE Ohio: Never trust a hill.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

May be a good time to sell my 13 and buy ammo and guns for the apocalypse.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

That's a wrap for me this season. Batteries out, stabil in the tank. Pushed to one side of the shed, snow blower occupying center spot.

Now, to gather pine bows and dry leaves to line my igloo.
CraigRegs, John d, HotRodZilla and 2 others loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

bungie4 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:53 pm That's a wrap for me this season. Batteries out, stabil in the tank. Pushed to one side of the shed, snow blower occupying center spot.
I see from the Accuweather long range forecast that you could end out with a couple days at 8 °C or so next week but other than that it isn't looking great for your region. I am hoping to stay on the road for a few more weeks with my heated jacket liner and some fairly short local rides. No snow here yet and, more important, no salt on the road so far. Forecast is slightly above normal after we get through the next few days.

Have to decide whether my geriatric snowblower will make it through its 25th (I think) year.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

Rode it partway up my driveway. Had to stop. Roofers had shit spread across the whole driveway. The one place they were told not to block. Had to kick crap out of the way to make a lane.

Roofing nails scattered from one side of the drive to the other. Endless supply. It’s inevitable that tires will be punctured. And when that happens, I’m going to bludgeon someone to death with a pneumatic nail gun.

Too late to fire them. They’re over halfway done. :nhlfight:
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

bill lumberg wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:05 pm ...Roofing nails scattered from one side of the drive to the other. Endless supply. It’s inevitable that tires will be punctured...Too late to fire them...
When our roofers finished the job they took what looked like brooms with a head ~4' wide that was actually a magnet. They assiduously swept our lawn and driveways clean. If the roofers don't voluntarily sweep then ask tell them to sweep the property. Lawn mowers and nails are a bad combination too.

On the other hand is our blacksmith that shoes in the barn's driveway. I have had multiple flats from horseshoe nails.
HotRodZilla and bill lumberg loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Magnet or no magnet - they won't get 'em all. Good luck, Bill.

Rode 250 miles yesterday in absolutely gorgeous weather. Took a walk in the woods. The air was fresh and clean. Took the long way home. Great day!!!!
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

f@$k!!

Today I rode some great focking roads...all damn day. SC, NC, TN, VA.
HotRodZilla, Hppants, bungie4 and 2 others loved this
bungie4
I post more than I ride

Post by bungie4 »

wheatonFJR wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:43 pm f@$k!!

Today I rode some great focking roads...all damn day. SC, NC, TN, VA.
You. Poor. Bastard.
HotRodZilla and wheatonFJR loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Hppants wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:30 pm Magnet or no magnet - they won't get 'em all. Good luck, Bill.
Exactly. Had my roof done last year and despite the magnetic sweep, I probably found a dozen or so roofing nails around the property; including one in a brand new RS3 rear tire.
bill lumberg loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Not today, but yesterday and Saturday...THIS. Photos courtesy of Duane/1911

Some poorly written write-up will follow.
bill lumberg and gixxerjasen loved this
D-Eagle
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR
2003 Honda VTX1800
2023 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT

Post by D-Eagle »

Packed for SEO. It was snowing outside. Threw in the heated vest.
wheatonFJR loved this
SE Ohio: Never trust a hill.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

Wiped the windshield down so I could see through it. Left the rest of the bike filthy. I mean decrepit. And took a totally unplanned ride to the Cherohala skyway.
Hppants, HotRodZilla, wheatonFJR and 1 others loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

bill lumberg wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:05 pm Rode it partway up my driveway. Had to stop. Roofers had shit spread across the whole driveway. The one place they were told not to block. Had to kick crap out of the way to make a lane.

Roofing nails scattered from one side of the drive to the other. Endless supply. It’s inevitable that tires will be punctured. And when that happens, I’m going to bludgeon someone to death with a pneumatic nail gun.

Too late to fire them. They’re over halfway done. :nhlfight:
Got a new roof weeks ago. Get on the bike to ride out of state. First stop I check my phone. My alarm has gone off. Call the alarm company and had to laugh.

"Is some supposed to be on your roof?"

It was the code enforcement guy.

Was he stomping on the roof as part of the inspection?😀

I am sure the deputies were amused by that call.
bill lumberg loved this
danh600
Veteran

Post by danh600 »

bungie4 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:53 pm That's a wrap for me this season. Batteries out, stabil in the tank. Pushed to one side of the shed, snow blower occupying center spot.

We live on different planets.
HotRodZilla, bungie4, bill lumberg and 1 others loved this
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

I act like I’m going to die if I have to ride below 40F. Even though I ride all winter every year. Fine once I’m in it, and I definitely have the gear for it, but this guy would discorporate if transferred to Canada. I tell people all the time- I’m not ready to move to Florida, but I understand why people do. One million degrees in August, I love it. All day long. I was supposed to have been born in Panama.

And the retard I ride the most with only comes out once it gets cold. Damn Yankees.

wheatonFJR loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
bungie4
I post more than I ride

Post by bungie4 »

Considering I'm only putting on about 3Km for the last few years, look for a 2013 to hit the market in the spring. I can think of a lot of better ways to spend my $1400/yr insurance.

Same thing caused me to ditch snowmobiles.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
danh600
Veteran

Post by danh600 »

bungie4 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:35 pm Considering I'm only putting on about 3Km for the last few years, look for a 2013 to hit the market in the spring. I can think of a lot of better ways to spend my $1400/yr insurance.

They kill me on home and car here,but I don't pay $1400 for all 5 bikes fully insured.
Blueridgerider
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by Blueridgerider »

bungie4 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:35 pm Considering I'm only putting on about 3Km for the last few years, look for a 2013 to hit the market in the spring. I can think of a lot of better ways to spend my $1400/yr insurance.

Man I am not sure where you live but your talk of snowmobiles and $1400 a year insurance for one motorcycle makes me cringe. And the high cost made you ditch your snowmobile as well!! :o :o Man in the long cold winter what else ya got??

You can still see my skid marks on I95 South deep and black when I escaped the snowy overtaxed extremely liberal state of RI 25 years ago. My family is still on lockdown up there as they see the photos like this from rides all year on the BRP and mountains of NC / SC. Get out while you can!! Life is way too short to be in that situation for the rest of your young breathing days.

HotRodZilla and wheatonFJR loved this
2016 FJR1300A Traxxionized
2017 Kawasaki Z900