What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by fontanaman »

Today it rained physically and metaphorically today. Normally dry Spokane received about 1" of rain today.

It also rained on my Gen 4 '17 maintenance project today. Like many of us I removed the air induction system on my older FJR. So why not remove it on the Gen 4 '17? Response: doing so caused the check engine light to come on or so I think.

Anyway today gravity was defied when the Three Bond 1215 held the valve cover gasket in place when I installed the valve cover. Yea!

Next was to button up the top end by installing the coolant tube, hoses, connectors and bits and pieces taking great care to do a good job because I have a habit of forgetting a bit or a piece from time to time.

Added coolant without spilling a drop, darn impressive, installed the fuel tank with connectors and fired up the FJR. Check engine light came on and stayed on. Decide to re-install the air induction system and so I did. Fired up the FJR and the check engine light came on and stayed on. Nuts.

I check for error codes in the FSM and find this on page 8-114. Seems on Gen 4 will cause the check engine light on if the air induction system is not present. Nuts.

Tomorrow I will button up the plastics and finish the work. Have not decided which way to go to clear the light. Maybe a short ride and it will clear itself but maybe not.
Last edited by fontanaman on Thu May 21, 2020 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

extrememarine wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:50 pm If the bike feels abnormally "peppy" at 80, it's because it's still in 4th gear.
Hahahahaha!

Can't tell you how many times I've been riding in to work and thinking "Damn she's feeling Gooooood today! Oh shit, how long have I been in 4th gear!"
bill lumberg, Hppants, extrememarine and 1 others loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

I expect that your Gen 4 solenoid works like the other Gens except your OBD II compliant ECU senses current through the solenoid. By default, with no power to the solenoid it is OPEN which is the active air injection mode. When the ECU sends power to the solenoid it CLOSES which blocks the air injection. If you know the resistance of the solenoid we could calculate a resistor with the correct wattage to bridge across the open connector to fake out the ECU. Let me check the FSM....
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran

Post by ionbeam »

20-24 Ω which needs to be 10 Watts. The resistor will be fairly hot most of the time. I would suggest something like a wire wound resistor Image
wheatonFJR and fontanaman loved this
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

gixxerjasen wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:48 pm
extrememarine wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:50 pm If the bike feels abnormally "peppy" at 80, it's because it's still in 4th gear.
Hahahahaha!

Can't tell you how many times I've been riding in to work and thinking "Damn she's feeling Gooooood today! Oh shit, how long have I been in 4th gear!"
Which in my mind tells me we don't need 6 gears!

I haven't rode an FJR with 6 gears. I would like to. I have rode my wife's scout and my MT-09 lately and they have 6 gears. I might change my mind after I get the MT-09 broken in and run it harder but...........Right now I am in a mind set a bike doesn't need more than 5 gears if properly spaced.
wheatonFJR and gixxerjasen loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Really can't understand the attraction to removing the air induction system. "De-cluttering" that area is clearly pissing on a house fire. Not casting stone, just my $0.02 worth.

One day I shall visit the Great Lakes. I would really (REALLY) like to ride the upper peninsula.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Hppants wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:02 pm Really can't understand the attraction to removing the air induction system. "De-cluttering" that area is clearly pissing on a house fire. Not casting stone, just my $0.02 worth.

One day I shall visit the Great Lakes. I would really (REALLY) like to ride the upper peninsula.
If you check your own valves, it's an amazing mod. Besides, to check the valves, you have to remove it anyway, might as well block it off and smile at the cleanliness.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran

Post by ionbeam »

gixxerjasen wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:21 pm
Hppants wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:02 pm Really can't understand the attraction to removing the air induction system. "De-cluttering" that area is clearly pissing on a house fire...
If you check your own valves, it's an amazing mod...
It will also eliminate exhaust popping during deceleration. Even on my '04 the heat didn't bother me. Vibrations don't bother me. Exhaust popping doesn't bother me, but during a valve adjustment my solenoid and plumbing didn't go back on.

Now, the rear wheel locking on my '15 when I close the throttle during hard deceleration -- that bothers me. I have really hiked out the back end a few times, plus, when leaned over I have really fishtailed too :o At some point I'll be changing my clutch to a slipper. Even my '85 Honda had a slipper clutch. My '04 really didn't do that but my '15 sure does, and much too easily.
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

ionbeam wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:06 pm
Now, the rear wheel locking on my '15 when I close the throttle during hard deceleration -- that bothers me. I have really hiked out the back end a few times, plus, when leaned over I have really fishtailed too :o At some point I'll be changing my clutch to a slipper. Even my '85 Honda had a slipper clutch. My '04 really didn't do that but my '15 sure does, and much too easily.
Slipper clutch should help. You might consider the Ivan "flash" as well. He removes the throttle cut so the engine braking should be a bit less.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

gixxerjasen wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:21 pm
Hppants wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:02 pm Really can't understand the attraction to removing the air induction system. "De-cluttering" that area is clearly pissing on a house fire. Not casting stone, just my $0.02 worth.

If you check your own valves, it's an amazing mod. Besides, to check the valves, you have to remove it anyway, might as well block it off and smile at the cleanliness.
I’ve checked and shimmed the valves many times. No big deal to reinstall the A/I system. Don’t notice any exhaust popping either on any of the FJRs I’ve owned. I have locked the rear wheel on hard decal. Not an A/I system issue, as much as a non-slipper clutch issue IMO.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."

fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

Responsible for a good conversation of this forum today. Glad to contribute! :D

Soon there will be some WynPro Block off plates for sale. I am with Pants it is no trouble to remove the air induction system and removing it on my '17 caused a headache.

Put the left side cover on today along with the heat shield, t-bar and gas tank. I would have finished the job today but spent sometime at Spokane Falls today and got some great steaks for dinner tonight.

Spokane Falls - lots of water going over the falls this time of year.

bigjohnsd, Toter, Hppants and 2 others loved this
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

Over the past couple of days I ran the engine a couple of times. Coolant was fresh and all topped off including the reservoir. After the first start I warmed the bike up and checked the coolant levels. All is good. It is time to knock off for the day. Come out to the bike in the morning and the coolant reservoir, previously at the upper level, was now at the lower level. Check the FSM and Owners Manual to learn coolant level is checked with a cold engine. Top off the coolant reservoir start the bike, do a TB sync and install the left side panel. Decide to let it sit over night and inspect the coolant level in the morning. The next day the coolant levels are all good so all I have to do is button up the remaining plastic.

I am installing the last screw, the one holding the head light adjustment knob. I drop the knob and watch it fall. It does not hit the floor but I am somewhat preoccupied holding little screw from falling, but it falls anyway. The screw ends up on the floor. The knob is not found despite using a very small led flashlight and extensive poking around. Go figure right?

So I remove the left inside fairing panel. Nothing. I remove the right inside fairing panel and there is the knob. Grab the knob and curse. Decide to clean up the panels and wax them just for the fun of it as I talked with my son on the phone who lives in Paris. They are off lock down now and their lock down much more severe than in the USA. They meant it. Hopefully they don't return to lock down but social distancing seems to be forgotten in some places so Nick is keeping his fingers crossed. Nick said some exPats said screw this and return to Amazon in Seattle. They cracked.

I reassembled the left and right fairing panels and determine the push pins have a life expectancy. Once the legs are splayed it is hard to get it in the hole and if you do the pin won't say in place. We are talking about push pins here. Being stubborn I keep trying to push the pin in the hole and it keeps falling out.

Nuts to this as I grab a new push pin and find it goes without fiddling. United Parcel Service shows up with a fresh box of push pins today, they fit and my silver lining has arrived.

Get the FJR back completely back together and it is not raining despite the forecast calling for rain. Another silver lining. Off to a Yamaha motorcycle dealer in Spokane to inquire about fixing the check engine light. The diagnostic tool is not presently working and the mechanics are at lunch. It will cost the princely sum of $30 to clear the engine light. Another silver lining. I will return on Tuesday if the diagnostic tool is functioning.

All in all it has been a pretty darn good day, except for my wife finds out she needs a tooth extraction and replacement. For twice that I could have another used FJR in my garage.
Last edited by fontanaman on Sat May 23, 2020 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Niehart, wheatonFJR, and Hppants loved this
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

Engine oil & filter and final drive oil replacement. Supposed to be nice tomorrow, going riding. https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/18-mee ... -23-a.html
fontanaman loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

Jim - I've BTDT with the tooth implants for wifey. They do not give those puppies away. Well, happy wife, happy life, my friend.....
fontanaman loved this

ericboutin
FJRModel: 2004 Non ABS

Post by ericboutin »

Per my day late, dollar short.....I installed a fuse block under the seat yesterday evening. Also installed a nice switch to run my running lights. It sure tidied up my wiring but man was it a lot of work!
Hppants and fontanaman loved this
---------------------------

Thanks Eric

IBA #77838

2004 Yamaha FJR 1300 Non ABS
1984 Honda Nighthawk CB 700S
danh600
Veteran

Post by danh600 »

Last night I load the car to go to the cabin for a long weekend. 10 miles in get low tire pressure warning. Tire has a piece of wire in the side wall.
Plan B have a couple of cold ones. Hit the sack early. Ride the FJR up this morning before it gets hot. Nice 250 mile ride this morning.

Car tire will still be flat on Tuesday.😆
Hppants, Niehart, wheatonFJR and 2 others loved this
danh600
Veteran

Post by danh600 »

Came across this today on my FJR ride.
Looked kind of dry, you think it would be at flood stages these days.

fontanaman, Hppants, and wheatonFJR loved this
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

rbentnail wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:15 pm Engine oil & filter and final drive oil replacement. Supposed to be nice tomorrow, going riding. https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/18-mee ... -23-a.html
Did our RTE, a couple pics at the linked thread above. About 325 miles for me.
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

Leaving in about 15 minutes to start visiting Tour of Honor memorials. Hoping DC traffic isn't too miserable.
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

BkerChuck wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:46 am Leaving in about 15 minutes to start visiting Tour of Honor memorials. Hoping DC traffic isn't too miserable.
On Memorial Day weekend when people are itchin to get out of the house???

Yeah, I hope so for your sake as well.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey