Dual Heat Troller Location

Making the FJR yours - what have you done, want to do, plan to do, and how?
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Dual Heat Troller Location

Post by bill lumberg »

Looking for how you cold weather riders locate your heated gear remote. I don’t want to have to look at a sketchy Velcro patch all summer. Interesante in other mounting options besides Velcro. I currently have the troller in my left chest pocket. But that’s a little hard to get into and manipulate with winter gloves. Thanks in advance.
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Re: Dual Heat Troller Location

Post by raYzerman »

3M duo-loc...... on my homemade dash shelf. Leave it there all year round. You could put it on the clutch reservoir, or make a bracket and bolt it to the unused "mirror" hole on the clutch perch.
wheatonFJR and bill lumberg loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

My dual controller (jacket and gloves) has a belt clip on it and I just clip it to an adjustment belt on my jacket where I can reach it.
I used to have two separate Trollers mounted on my previous '07. One of them was where the knockout is for the heated grip controller and the other was mounted on the side panel toward the rear of the bike. There were two Powerlet sockets mounted on the side panels as well. Worked well and looked good.
dem
Squid
FJRModel: 2014 1300A

Post by dem »

I use the dual panel mount remote, powered by the aux plug (the remote uses very little power and this lets me easily disconnect the left side plastics.. the other little panel mount LED is a Heads-Up voltage monitor, similarly connected)

Uncle Hud, wheatonFJR, and CollingsBob loved this
2014 1300A California

jwilly
Site Admin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by jwilly »

Mine is velco'd on top of the right brake fluid reservoir, makes for easy access while riding with gloves on.
El Toro Joe and Geosci loved this
I’d be more than happy to swear under oath that having watched you ride for many, many miles, there is no way in hell you could be speeding through those curves. -0face
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

3M duo lock on top of the clutch reservoir. I add a zip tie around it for added security. On my '07 I had it on the front brake reservoir but on the '14 moved it to the clutch because most often I would make the adjustments left handed and realized I didn't really like having to reach across to my right side like that. The 3M duo lock is much more secure than plain Velcro which is what I used to use hence the added zip tie.
wheatonFJR loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

On my FJR I had duolock on the top of the clutch master cylinder, in the GSA I did Velcro on the side of the Clutch master cylinder.

While coming down the Cassiar Highway I went to adjust my heat and discovered that all that was left of my remote was the back plate with the Velcro on it. The rest of the Remote Heatroller was somewhere behind me. I am in the process of obtain and installing a panel mounted unit now.
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

ditto. 3M duo-lock style on the left clutch fluid reservoir; I use the cord that came with it and loop it around the handlebar upright as a "dummy cord" in case the duo-lock fails.

Wayne
jwilly wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:46 am Mine is velco'd on top of the right brake fluid reservoir, makes for easy access while riding with gloves on.
nvrclvr4umname, wheatonFJR, jwilly and 1 others loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

I do the cord loop thing as well but after the Velcro failed to hold it after a "spirited" acceleration I opted to add a zip tie around it too. So far the duo lock is much stronger.
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

I ended up using 10lb Velcro. I couldn’t find the dual loc I had left over from securing my garage remote to the back wall of my glovebox, and ace didn’t have any. No way am
I trusting something that expensive to Velcro or dual loc alone, so I Velcroed to the brake reservoir and also used a split ring and tiny loop. That is discreetly secured around the banjo bolt for security. Thanks for the suggestions. Much better to have it out where I can adjust the thermostat without digging around in a chest pocket.
2GENAE and wheatonFJR loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
Dshane
Squid
FJRModel: 2018 FJR 1300A

Post by Dshane »

I have a pouch for the controller, which has a "belt clip" attached to it. I open my tank bag about an inch and clip it in. Never moves and is easily removed when not in use.
Dave
wheatonFJR loved this
SLK50
FJRModel: 2006

Post by SLK50 »

Guys, I’m having trouble understanding the
aversion to mounted controllers.
All of my bikes have them. I just plug in and go.
Never have to worry about losing or forgetting
controller or not having access.
What am I missing?
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

There are three versions.... (Warm & Safe) hardwired panel mount (drill your own holes), portable corded, and Bluetooth wireless battery powered remote..... I have the latter... all we're trying to decide is where to put them.
bill lumberg loved this
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

raYzerman wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:33 pm There are three versions.... (Warm & Safe) hardwired panel mount (drill your own holes), portable corded, and Bluetooth wireless battery powered remote..... I have the latter... all we're trying to decide is where to put them.
I have my wireless Warm & Safe controller velcroed to the top of the brake reservoir, when needed.
bill lumberg and wheatonFJR loved this
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
philharmonic
FJRModel: 07 FJR1300

Post by philharmonic »

I have an old WIDDER vest and gloves and the controller took a crap. I tried running straight 12 volts but that's too much except on the coldest of days. I bought a cheap 5 dollar 12 volt rheostat from china and put it in the inner pocket of my winter jacket, and ran the wires inside the jacket {had to cut a small hole in the inner lining} I can't change the setting without stopping and reaching into the inner pocket, so that's a negative, but I find the same setting gets me through most of the winter. {there are only a few snowy days you can't ride here in good ole South Carolina. LOL
wheatonFJR and bill lumberg loved this
I have met the enemy, and it is me.
philharmonic
FJRModel: 07 FJR1300

Post by philharmonic »

philharmonic wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:13 pm I have an old WIDDER vest and gloves and the controller took a crap. I tried running straight 12 volts but that's too much except on the coldest of days. I bought a cheap 5 dollar 12 volt rheostat from china and put it in the inner pocket of my winter jacket, and ran the wires inside the jacket {had to cut a small hole in the inner lining} I can't change the setting without stopping and reaching into the inner pocket, so that's a negative, but I find the same setting gets me through most of the winter.
{there are only a few snowy days you can't ride here in good ole South Carolina. LOL}
I have met the enemy, and it is me.
graler
Squid
FJRModel: 2006

Post by graler »

I have a garauld radar detector plate on the right hand reservoir. I use 3M Duo Lock to mount my toll tag. On top of the toll tag I have some additional Duo Lock (a Strip) and that can hold my remote controller for heated gear and my Spot. The radar bracket has some slots on the sides for a velcro strap that was part of that kit. I run the lanyard through one of those slots and loop it on itself. If the duo lock ever failed my remote would dangle from the strap until I could pull over and figure out what to do.
bill lumberg loved this
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

My Velcro patch already failed after a long day in cold rain, so my “tether” got used all the way home one day. I’d prefer a Velcro strap as backup. The plate sounds nice.
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Duo-Loc is what to use... Velcro not so much.
wheatonFJR loved this
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

I need to order some. I used 3m dual lock on my garage remote and that shit never let go. And somewhere in my mountain of gear is the rest of that pack of dual lock.
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES