What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
escapefjrtist
Veteran
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by escapefjrtist »

fontanaman wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:46 pm Siphoned two gallons of gas out of the FJR, then road it to gas station with non-ethanol fuel, added a bit of stabil and filled it up. Road it home then changed the oil. My riding season is likely done until April. :(
Where's the unlike button...much too early to put the FJR to sleep Fontanaman!

~G
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

Well it is getting Chilly over here in Spokane. Roads are frosty on some mornings. I like to get out again but not counting on it.
Spininprop
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022ES
Traded 2016A
Sold 2013 GSX-R1000
Sold 2003 GSX-R1000
Sold 2000 Bandit 600

Post by Spininprop »

Looked at it on my way to the car. Big rain moved out big blow moved in. Winds 25 to 35, gusting over 40mph today.
IBA# 84110
2022 FJR1300ES
2016 FJR1300A Traded
2013 GSX-R1000 Traded
2003 GSX-R1000 Sold
2000 Bandit 600 Traded
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

I was hoping to get out for one last ride of the season on Sunday, but the long range appears to be trending into the shitty territory. I"m gonna have to play it by ear. I feel your pain Fontanaman.

Weird season this year. My trailer has more miles than my bike this year!
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

Rode it to work...just a little breezy.
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

Sometimes summer is so long here I think winter is some made up story. We never really see a true winter here. I seldom travel during the winter. So sometimes in my mind winter is fake news. Until I see you guys posts.

For part of the year I think Big John has it made living in Spearfish. That's like motorcycle mecca. Then I think about winter.

I am really not sure I could handle it. I think I might freeze solid and just crumble to dust like a cartoon character.
Redfish, Hppants, and gixxerjasen loved this
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

danh600 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:16 am For part of the year I think Big John has it made living in Spearfish. That's like motorcycle mecca. Then I think about winter.
I think I'd trade him. When he's riding it's beautiful and the riding is great. Down here, I can ride all the time but 70% of the time it's not all that comfortable, and the riding is boring by comparison.

And, there's snowmobiles.
Hppants and danh600 loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Oh. It's real alright. Spent 55 years in the frozen tundra. Been out in 82 below wind chill. Have poor circulation in my feet from frostbite/stupidity when I was 18.

It's real.

Doesn't seem real as I start my day here in Fort Myers, FL though.
bungie4, CollingsBob, and gixxerjasen loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
danh600
Veteran

Post by danh600 »

wheatonFJR wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:32 am Oh. It's real alright. Spent 55 years in the frozen tundra. Been out in 82 below wind chill. Have poor circulation in my feet from frostbite/stupidity when I was 18.

It's real.

Doesn't seem real as I start my day here in Fort Myers, FL though.
Nice, you are a couple hours west of me. Fort Myers is nice. We used to go over there every summer when the kids were young. I haven't been in awhile.

When I was a kid that area was not developed as much as it is now. Just a few hotels. The beach was mostly cottages that were up on stilts.

My Dad loved to fish so we spent many a summer vacation there.

If your wife likes to hunt sea shells Captiva and Sanibel Islands are world renown for that. Just look at a tide chart and go at low tide.
Redfish, wheatonFJR, and El Toro Joe loved this
bungie4
I post more than I ride

Post by bungie4 »

gixxerjasen wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:31 am And, there's snowmobiles.
HAHAH. The ultimate money pit.

Snow Machine - $13,000
Trailer to haul snow machne - $2500
(I'm gonna assume your 4 wheel vehicle is capable of hauling 1500lbs, otherwise, new vehicle)
Insurance yearly (you cannot just insure for part of the year) $1000
Trail Pass ($300/yr)

I leave out gear, farkles and off season storage.

So your at roughly $16,800 and you haven't even left the house yet.

Now double it for your wife. Or, you better have a buddy to go with you.

Now, Around here, you can use it about 3m of the year (nevermind the other 3 months of winter. Not enough, snow, but its still cold AF). You only get to use for 24 possible days (12 weekends x 2 days). Assuming its not kill you on contact cold.

Assume you don't bust anything, but you will. You will have to find some way to get your snow machine out of 50km of bush. Triple A doesn't go there. This is assuming you didn't get hurt and are 'rescued' before you die of exposure/shock. I leave out falling through the ice. f@$k that.

A single day trip costs fuel for your tow vehicle and your sled. Call it $125. Food, lunch and dinner - $ 60 so your at $150 every use. Unreasonable? No, the bike you hop on and go. The snow machine you have to load it on the trailer, then hook up the trailer to your vehicle, then haul it some place to unload, fuel up etc.. Its a job and eats into your sledding time.

Overnight trip? Throw on $200/day easy, because lodges at the peak of the season in the back country are NOT cheap. Oh ya, you need to buy gas there the next morning. It's at least double the price it is in town and of questionable quality (remember breaking down in the back country above).

I left out your booze budget but it'll likely be the same cost as your accommodations - because you're in a lodge with a bunch of other snowmobilers and their is nothing else to do but drink your face off at night. The next morning, you'll be hung over and frozen cock stiff in the bush. Fun! You bet!

The laws on the trails are the same on the road. Blow over = DUI. Speeding = Ticket - be sure, the trails have cops with radar and are patrolled.

Around here, the only ppl around here that still sled are young guys who haven't had body parts freeze yet, or old guys with more money then sense (sorry to the old guys present with sleds). NONE of my friends sled anymore. Those that used to probably moved over to PWC's in the summer - warm, cold drinks, bikini's. The choice is simple. The only market circling the drain faster than motorcycles is snow mobiles.
wheatonFJR, gixxerjasen, John d and 2 others loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

Started it. After leaving my dead battery charging with the Optimate for 24 hrs in my 40° garage the battery had 12.72 volts showing, lower than the 13.1 - 13.2 I had hoped for. After sitting 45 minutes the battery showed 12.64 volts, lower than I had hoped but the stability of the voltage after standing was good. Cross fingers, hit the starter -- immediate varoom. At a 1.5k rpm cold idle the battery/regulator was showing 14.15 volts. I let it run a few minutes to recover from the starting current draw. After turning off the key the battery read 13.07 volts. Good enough. Tomorrow I hope to take the FJR on a ride and verify that the battery is dependable. Looks like I've been lucky in the short term, I hope that I haven't significantly lowered my battery's life expectancy.
Redfish loved this
danh600
Veteran

Post by danh600 »

bungie4 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:30 am

Snow Machine - $13,000
(I'm gonna assume your 4 wheel vehicle is capable of hauling 1500lbs, otherwise, new vehicle)
Trail Pass ($300/yr)

Now, Around here, you can use it about 3m of the year (nevermind the other 3 months of winter. Not enough, snow, but its still cold AF). You only get to use for 24 possible days (12 weekends x 2 days). Assuming its not kill you on contact cold.

Assume you don't bust anything, but you will. You will have to find some way to get your snow machine out of 50km of bush. Triple A doesn't go there. This is assuming you didn't get hurt and are 'rescued' before you die of exposure/shock. I leave out falling through the ice. f@$k that.

A single day trip costs fuel for your tow vehicle and your sled. Call it $125. Food, lunch and dinner - $ 60 so your at $150 every use. Unreasonable? No, the bike you hop on and go. The snow machine you have to load it on the trailer, then hook up the trailer to your vehicle, then haul it some place to unload, fuel up etc.. Its a job and eats into your sledding time.

Overnight trip? Throw on $200/day easy, because lodges at the peak of the season in the back country are NOT cheap. Oh ya, you need to buy gas there the next morning. It's at least double the price it is in town and of questionable quality (remember breaking down in the back country above).

I left out your booze budget but it'll likely be the same cost as your accommodations - because you're in a lodge with a bunch of other snowmobilers and their is nothing else to do but drink your face off at night. The next morning, you'll be hung over and frozen cock stiff in the bush. Fun! You bet!

The laws on the trails are the same on the road. Blow over = DUI. Speeding = Ticket - be sure, the trails have cops with radar and are patrolled.

Around here, the only ppl around here that still sled are young guys who haven't had body parts freeze yet, or old guys with more money then sense (sorry to the old guys present with sleds). NONE of my friends sled anymore. Those that used to probably moved over to PWC's in the summer - warm, cold drinks, bikini's. The choice is simple. The only market circling the drain faster than motorcycles is snow mobiles.
You should work in marketing for Polaris. You make it sound like so much fun!!!!! :lol:
wheatonFJR loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

bungie4 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:30 am

Snow Machine - $13,000
Trail Pass ($300/yr)

Or how about another way?

Step 1. You get a text from your buddy Poolboy: "Hey Pants, we are going snowmobiling. We have an extra sled for you. We can pick you up at the airport"

Step 2: Do NOT ask any questions. Simply reply: "Cool - I'll let you know my flight number and arrival time"

Step 3: Loosely calculate the MINIMUM amount of jewelry, purses, or other lady shit you will have to buy to convince your wife to let you go without question. Throw that amount of money at her.

Step 4: Buy three pairs of VERY WARM socks. Pants' tootsies get chilly below 50 degrees F.

Step 5: http://www.fjriders.com/forums/viewtopi ... ile#p56425

Don't hate me 'cause ya aint' me.....
Redfish, wheatonFJR, gixxerjasen and 2 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

bungie4 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:30 am I left out your booze budget but it'll likely be the same cost as your accommodations - because you're in a lodge with a bunch of other snowmobilers and their is nothing else to do but drink your face off at night. The next morning, you'll be hung over and frozen cock stiff in the bush. Fun! You bet!
Ugh, this is why I have pretty much stopped drinking altogether. The older I've gotten the less I've felt the good the night before and the worse the next morning hits me. At some point the fun ratio was too skewed to continue. Plus, if you don't drink, it's actually more fun on either end. You get to watch Turk's drunk antics through the night, and then the next morning you get to watch him try to reassemble himself while Mrs Turk bangs pans in the kitchen louder than necessary. :D

But, Pants made snowmobiling sound so fun in his RR, oh there it is.
Hppants wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:08 pm Or how about another way?

Step 1. You get a text from your buddy Poolboy: "Hey Pants, we are going snowmobiling. We have an extra sled for you. We can pick you up at the airport"

Step 2: Do NOT ask any questions. Simply reply: "Cool - I'll let you know my flight number and arrival time"

Step 3: Loosely calculate the MINIMUM amount of jewelry, purses, or other lady shit you will have to buy to convince your wife to let you go without question. Throw that amount of money at her.

Step 4: Buy three pairs of VERY WARM socks. Pants' tootsies get chilly below 50 degrees F.

Step 5: http://www.fjriders.com/forums/viewtopi ... ile#p56425

Don't hate me 'cause ya aint' me.....
Actually, I've done a few snowmobile rentals and hated it every time. They steer and lean the wrong way for starters. I've been told I need to try a proper sport snowmobile, but I think I'd rather play on one of those dirt bike conversions instead.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Sleds were fun back in the day when we had enough snow that stayed around all winter. Global warming forces those who can afford it to go north of Subury, or somewhere much further west where there is white stuff. Yes they are an expensive little habit.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
bungie4
I post more than I ride

Post by bungie4 »

gixxerjasen wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:56 pm You get to watch Turk's drunk antics through the night, and then the next morning you get to watch him try to reassemble himself while Mrs Turk bangs pans in the kitchen louder than necessary. :D

Actually, I've done a few snowmobile rentals and hated it every time.
This reminds me of another Turk story. NAFO in Knoxville, a bunch of us end up at Alcoa Good Times Center where they are having Spyder demo rides.

Turk looks at it and goes 'I dunno'.

I tell him their just like riding a snow mobile!

He agrees to give one a fair test ride.

He comes back, somewhat overdue, gets off the Spyder, looks me in the eye and says "you say these are just like riding a skidoo?"

Me: Ya.

Turk: Snow machines must suck.
Redfish, El Toro Joe, and gixxerjasen loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
Powerman
Veteran
FJRModel: 06fjr

Post by Powerman »

My buddies forgot to tell me about the speeding tickets ? WTF? FJR motor in it, took his Power Commander out of the bike and put it in the snow mobile I rode with a new map. At least they ignored the drinking.
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

Rode it to work...again
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

Rode mine to work this morning. Last night in prep for SFO i decided to lube the control pivot points. Clutch lever bushing was pretty dry, front brake ever about the same. Rear brake pedal had a minute dab of something in it that looked like dried up old wax. All of those are now properly lubed up. Shifter pedal was where the trouble began. That T-50 torx fastener did not want to budge. Finally had to get out a breaker bar and use it. With my left wrist still hurting this is not what I wanted to do. Finally get it to move but I'm deathly afraid it's going to strip the threads.One I have it out just a couple of threads I can see it's got RED loctite on it. Did Yamaha seriously use RED loctite on these fasteners? Got out a micro torch and applied heat until it melted the loctite then proceeded. The other 4 bolts all had blue loctite and more of that than is necessary. I ended up chasing all of the treads with taps and dies before reassembly. Any one else run into this or am I unique in this regard? I don't think the PO ever had any of this apart based upon how stuff looks as I'm working on the bike.
Hppants and bill lumberg loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

Not a damn thing. It’s still at the office where I had to leave it. Been in the hospital since Tuesday. Hope to get back to it Saturday or Sunday.
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES