Front ABS Random activation.

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
User avatar
0face
Contributor
Veteran
Posts: 2931
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:30 pm
FJRModel: 2008
Location: Evanston, Illinois
x 678
x 2142

Re: Front ABS Random activation.

Post by 0face » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:43 am

Apparently it was loos enough to convince the system the front wheel was slipping. I tightened everything down, used a couple zip ties and everything worked fine. Stopped at a hardware store picked up a bolt and all is good now.
bungie4, raYzerman, Hppants and 3 others loved this
"Lets all do what we can do to bring thick skinned, donkey raping shit eaters to this joint."
-Bust

User avatar
mcatrophy
Squid
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:00 am
FJRModel: 2018 FJR1300AS
Location: Derby, UK
x 1
x 39
Contact:

Re: Front ABS Random activation.

Post by mcatrophy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:16 pm

FJRoss wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:54 am
So, did this explain the random activation of the ABS?
Possibly the brake calliper gripping, moving round with the rotor, then grabbing would be my guess. Might not even have been the ABS, just the intermittent movement of the callipers giving a similar feel.
0face and wheatonFJR loved this
mcatrophy
2018 FJR1300AS - AE in the USA, if only they could have one :o .
2014 FJR1300AS 2010 FJR1300AS 2006 FJR1300AS '02 Trophy 1200 '01 Bonneville '55 Tiger Cub
ImageMy web site

User avatar
Pterodactyl
Veteran
Posts: 1021
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:16 pm
FJRModel: Gone but not forgotten.
Location: Big Sky Country
x 122
x 2204

Re: Front ABS Random activation.

Post by Pterodactyl » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:54 pm

I identified the problem immediately upon being told about the issue at the Lolo gas stop, but I recognized that I had a teachable moment on my hands. So, I let Oface solve the riddle himself. I'm just that kind of giving guy.... you are welcome.
Madmudder, 0face, and wheatonFJR loved this
Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, MT

User avatar
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
Posts: 5169
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:49 am
FJRModel: 2009 CBF1000A Raspberry, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee
Location: Millgrove, Ontario, CA
x 1308
x 4261

Re: Front ABS Random activation.

Post by raYzerman » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:11 pm

Pterodactyl wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:54 pm
I identified the problem immediately upon being told about the issue at the Lolo gas stop, but I recognized that I had a teachable moment on my hands. So, I let Oface solve the riddle himself. I'm just that kind of giving guy.... you are welcome.
Glad you got to him first.... I was just gonna text him a FYM.
bigjohnsd, Pterodactyl, and 0face loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.

User avatar
FJRoss
Veteran
Posts: 759
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:41 pm
FJRModel: 2011 A
Location: Fredericton NB (Canada)
x 177
x 511

Re: Front ABS Random activation.

Post by FJRoss » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:07 am

Great that it is sorted out and you didn't ruin your trip (or your bike or yourself). I'm just OCD enough to check bolts three times and then go back out to the bike an hour later to make sure I remembered everything. (Except for the times I forget.) Valve checks make me nervous!

Better be careful about what you report. If you can gixxerjasen your forks, perhaps you can now 0face your brakes? :D
(I don't think this is a sufficiently epic fail to start using your handle as a verb to describe a maintenance process gone wrong.)
wheatonFJR loved this

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
Posts: 12212
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:10 pm
FJRModel: 2013
x 17637
x 7781

Re: Front ABS Random activation.

Post by wheatonFJR » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:39 am

FJRoss wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:07 am
Great that it is sorted out and you didn't ruin your trip (or your bike or yourself). I'm just OCD enough to check bolts three times and then go back out to the bike an hour later to make sure I remembered everything. (Except for the times I forget.) Valve checks make me nervous!

Better be careful about what you report. If you can gixxerjasen your forks, perhaps you can now 0face your brakes? :D
(I don't think this is a sufficiently epic fail to start using your handle as a verb to describe a maintenance process gone wrong.)
Oh, I think he "0Faced" his brakes alright! :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
Posts: 1512
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:03 pm
FJRModel: 2018ES
x 2036
x 1804

Re: Front ABS Random activation.

Post by bill lumberg » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:53 am

My clutch was engaging unevenly, sometimes badly. Then I remembered I was engaging it with my forearm. Once I got the cast off and switched to using my index and middle finger, it got a little better.
Active member of the Natural Consequences Guild.

IBA# 69560

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
Posts: 12212
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:10 pm
FJRModel: 2013
x 17637
x 7781

Re: Front ABS Random activation.

Post by wheatonFJR » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:55 am

bill lumberg wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:53 am
My clutch was engaging unevenly, sometimes badly. Then I remembered I was engaging it with my forearm. Once I got the cast off and switched to using my index and middle finger, it got a little better.
Apparently the middle finger is crucial...

User avatar
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
Posts: 1512
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:03 pm
FJRModel: 2018ES
x 2036
x 1804

Re: Front ABS Random activation.

Post by bill lumberg » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:50 am

:finger: always.
wheatonFJR loved this
Active member of the Natural Consequences Guild.

IBA# 69560

User avatar
FJRoss
Veteran
Posts: 759
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:41 pm
FJRModel: 2011 A
Location: Fredericton NB (Canada)
x 177
x 511

Re: Front ABS Random activation.

Post by FJRoss » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:17 pm

So, was the problem with the FJR or is he keeping a secret...

"Chennai-based motorcycle maker Royal Enfield has announced a recall for 7000 units of the Bullet range of motorcycles. The recall affects the Royal Enfield Bullet and Electra 350 and 500 variants that were manufactured between March 20 and April 30 this year. The recall is related to an issue of a faulty brake caliper bolt that failed to meet the required torque quality to standards, according to Royal Enfield and the recall is a proactive measure given the importance of the part concerned."

User avatar
Intech
I'm Not Back
Veteran
Posts: 1683
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:35 am
FJRModel: 2015
x 321
x 954

Re: Front ABS Random activation.

Post by Intech » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:41 am

We will call the OFace recall!!

and..FYM!
FJRoss wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:17 pm
So, was the problem with the FJR or is he keeping a secret...

"Chennai-based motorcycle maker Royal Enfield has announced a recall for 7000 units of the Bullet range of motorcycles. The recall affects the Royal Enfield Bullet and Electra 350 and 500 variants that were manufactured between March 20 and April 30 this year. The recall is related to an issue of a faulty brake caliper bolt that failed to meet the required torque quality to standards, according to Royal Enfield and the recall is a proactive measure given the importance of the part concerned."
Madmudder loved this
Image
RIP BeemerDonS JSNS
RIP Petey

Post Reply