Help with 2003 forks

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
blind squirrel
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014

Re: Help with 2003 forks

Post by blind squirrel »

raYzerman wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:52 am I am an ass.... no mixing... OMG!! Bud Light is the closest thing there is to plain water...
No, that would be Michelob Ultra.
Uncle Hud and raYzerman loved this
"That feeling is your taint telling you, 'this is a bad idea...'" - extrememarine
silverback
Veteran
FJRModel: 2005

Post by silverback »

Lots of farm equipment uses hydraulic cylinders, and they get pretty beat up. Scored piston shafts is common place.

I usually used some scotchbrite pads to smooth them out if it wasn't horrible. Worked pretty well.

I know you have new(er) forks, but if it is just minor scratches, you might try...huh huh huh...uhh....hand polishing your shaft...huh huh huh...
HotRodZilla and wheatonFJR loved this
There's just too much what the f@$k in this thread to know where to begin...
--BikerGeek
HotRodZilla
Veteran
FJRModel: 07 FJR-A

Post by HotRodZilla »

silverback wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:41 pm Lots of farm equipment uses hydraulic cylinders, and they get pretty beat up. Scored piston shafts is common place.

I usually used some scotchbrite pads to smooth them out if it wasn't horrible. Worked pretty well.

I know you have new(er) forks, but if it is just minor scratches, you might try...huh huh huh...uhh....hand polishing your shaft...huh huh huh...
When my wife catches me hand polishing my shaft, I'm going to tell her you said it was the right thing to do.

These forks don't seem like they can be polished out. The imperfections seem more like chunks of chrome missing from rock hits. That's about all I can think of. I still need to send these off, but ice been up to my ears. My wife even asked me the other day, "What are you doing with these motorcycle pipes in this room?" Well, I'm sending them off to see if they can be fixed. When I get around to it. Lol.

The saga continues.
silverback
Veteran

Re: RE: Re: Help with 2003 forks

Post by silverback »

HotRodZilla wrote:
silverback wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:41 pm Lots of farm equipment uses hydraulic cylinders, and they get pretty beat up. Scored piston shafts is common place.

When my wife catches me hand polishing my shaft, I'm going to tell her you said it was the right thing to do.

These forks don't seem like they can be polished out. The imperfections seem more like chunks of chrome missing from rock hits. That's about all I can think of. I still need to send these off, but ice been up to my ears. My wife even asked me the other day, "What are you doing with these motorcycle pipes in this room?" Well, I'm sending them off to see if they can be fixed. When I get around to it. Lol.

The saga continues.
Go ahead and tell her. She knows you, doesn't know me, and I know enough about women to know they always blame the husband right or wrong!

Missing chunks of chrome plating is more than scotchbrite can handle, for sure.

Maybe use them for pole vaulting????
Auburn, wheatonFJR, and HotRodZilla loved this
--BikerGeek
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Re: RE: Re: Help with 2003 forks

Post by gixxerjasen »

silverback wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:13 pm Maybe use them for pole vaulting????
Needs to be longer, and fiberglass or carbon fiber. Also needs to be tuned to your particular weight and the height you are shooting for. Doubt they'll work for this purpose.
HotRodZilla loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Pitting or chrome missing... depends on how big I suppose, ScotchBrite them first, but if you can feel them sticking up (enough to cut a seal), then take a file and file them flush to the surface (carefully of course, don't go nuts), then polish with a strip of crocus cloth (900 grit or higher) as if you were doing a shoe shine. Now they won't cut the seal and they would have to be pretty big to leak past (chances are this is all above the seal area)... if chrome is indeed missing, they might rust but a little wipe once in a while should take care of that. You can easily do all this yourself.
HotRodZilla loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
HotRodZilla
Veteran

Post by HotRodZilla »

raYzerman wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:01 am Pitting or chrome missing... depends on how big I suppose, ScotchBrite them first, but if you can feel them sticking up (enough to cut a seal), then take a file and file them flush to the surface (carefully of course, don't go nuts), then polish with a strip of crocus cloth (900 grit or higher) as if you were doing a shoe shine. Now they won't cut the seal and they would have to be pretty big to leak past (chances are this is all above the seal area)... if chrome is indeed missing, they might rust but a little wipe once in a while should take care of that. You can easily do all this yourself.
I am supposed to be sending these to BikerChuck. I just haven't gotten it done yet. Why? Because I suck!!
wheatonFJR loved this
silverback
Veteran

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Help with 2003 forks

Post by silverback »

gixxerjasen wrote:
Needs to be longer, and fiberglass or carbon fiber. Also needs to be tuned to your particular weight and the height you are shooting for. Doubt they'll work for this purpose.
You know way too much about pile vaulting.

I now hold you in suspicious contempt...

How do we know you are NOT a pole vaulting champion? (Ref: https://youtu.be/aB1eBJNbtAA )

--BikerGeek
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Help with 2003 forks

Post by gixxerjasen »

silverback wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:27 am
gixxerjasen wrote:
You know way too much about pile vaulting.

I now hold you in suspicious contempt...

How do we know you are NOT a pole vaulting champion? (Ref: https://youtu.be/aB1eBJNbtAA )
I did it in high school. Like most things in my life, I managed to be just "OK" at it and never really good.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

HotRodZilla wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:11 am
raYzerman wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:01 am Pitting or chrome missing... depends on how big I suppose, ScotchBrite them first, but if you can feel them sticking up (enough to cut a seal), then take a file and file them flush to the surface (carefully of course, don't go nuts), then polish with a strip of crocus cloth (900 grit or higher) as if you were doing a shoe shine. Now they won't cut the seal and they would have to be pretty big to leak past (chances are this is all above the seal area)... if chrome is indeed missing, they might rust but a little wipe once in a while should take care of that. You can easily do all this yourself.
I am supposed to be sending these to BikerChuck. I just haven't gotten it done yet. Why? Because I suck!!
Well, I was remiss in my suggestions... best way to check for pitting that might damage a seal is for you to drape your panty hose over the tube and see if they snag..... :o :shock: :P
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
HotRodZilla
Veteran

Post by HotRodZilla »

raYzerman wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:00 pm
HotRodZilla wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:11 am
Well, I was remiss in my suggestions... best way to check for pitting that might damage a seal is for you to drape your panty hose over the tube and see if they snag..... :o :shock: :P
No! Those were good suggestions. The pantyhose thing is unnecessary because the imperfections are big enough to see. Besides, there is no reason to risk ruining a good pair of pantyhose. They're so soft and comfortable...
raYzerman, wheatonFJR, and Full House loved this