Sputter and Pipe discoloration

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
ericboutin
FJRModel: 2004 Non ABS

Re: Sputter and Pipe discoloration

Post by ericboutin »

philharmonic wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:34 am So, bad plugs, misfiring on a regular basis, excess fuel igniting the cats and causing discoloration in the pipes?

Yah I'm definitely cautiously optimistic. So far the fix seems to have been a new battery, touching just about every electrical connection I could and cleaning some of them if there was a hint of corrosion and finally four....well five new spark plugs.

I love that you have a "spare" of everything, battery, meter, ordered TWO sets of plugs. You are my HERO.

Fluke for sure...not usually well prepared...lol

Glad everything turned out OK.

Keep an eye on any symptoms in the future regarding clogged cats, that had to be hard on them and a lot of SOOT built up?

Yes for sure, thanks for this reminder. This is something I will be watching; a new exhaust still might be in her future...right now fingers crossed. I've only run about a tank through her since this so jury is still out. I'm quite interested to see the MPG number. Thanks!
---------------------------

Thanks Eric

IBA #77838

2004 Yamaha FJR 1300 Non ABS
1984 Honda Nighthawk CB 700S
ericboutin

Post by ericboutin »

Hppants wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:00 am Pipes sure did clean up well. I have owned bikes that had exhaust discoloration, and I've cleaned it up, but it came back. IIRC, those were single walled exhaust pipes, though.

Would you mind sharing your method for cleaning up your exhaust? What product(s) did you use?
Thanks! Yes I'm again cautiously optimistic that they stay looking this good! Lol

Not at all on the method of clean. I researched for awhile on what to do and I did run across Ionbeam's suggestion of Simichrome and may still purchase some for future maintenance.

Since I didn't think they would come out at all I didn't really want to spend any money so I went with good old fashioned elbow grease. I figured they were already toast....no pun intended....so I had nothing to lose. I started with wet sanding with 400 and sometimes 320 grit sandpaper. Followed that with wet sanding with 1000 grit. Then moved to 0000 steel wool. I then applied some mag/chrome cleaner (basically a compound) I had laying around with a buffer machine. I then buffed it repeatedly with the machine until I could see myself! If the pipes were decent to begin with this process would have been hard to do....after sanding with 320 the pipes look HORRIBLE! Scary bad! It'll scare yah, but like I said I didn't have anything to lose.

Thanks for all ya'll help and I'll post up some mpg numbers soon.

Thanks Eric

IBA #77838

FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

This stuff was highly favored by the Harley crowd in the era of ill-tuned carburetted bikes. Not so much of an issue with EFI.
https://blue-job.com/
Hppants loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

I might consult with you if I end up keeping my stock pipes from my first 13.
ericboutin loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Ross - that is the stuff I used back in the day - it was truly incredible.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Powerman
Veteran
FJRModel: 06fjr

Post by Powerman »

I think my Harley room mate bought Blue Job by the case. late 70's AMF Lowrider.
I did use it once on the fenders of my Honda 500/4, Kerker pipe never needed it.

Imagine the excitement when he Armor all'ed my seat.
Uncle Hud loved this
NBB
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2015A

Post by NBB »

Another polish that we have used for years on all metal is
Met-All TC-20 Aluminum & Stainless Polish ( MIL-P-6888C Type II),
https://www.skygeek.com/tc20.html?utm_s ... KRtvD_BwE

there slogan should be a little dab will do it. My dad introduced me to this stuff several decades ago, had bought a qt. can and I still have enough for a long time.

This stuff seems to seal the pores of metal so that the next time cleaning it's easier than before, almost a very quick wipe-on wipe off process.
ericboutin

Post by ericboutin »

Ok I've run a tank and a half through and it is still performing flawlessly and judging by this first tanks mpg numbers, it's better than it ever has! I got 44.84 mpg. I've never gotten above 40 before. Anyway now that I'm riding her to work (58 miles one way) I should have some good data quickly to see if it holds. Thanks again for everyone's help, suggestions, encouragement etc. Also a big thanks to Mr. Griff once more, it made it a lot easier to follow suggestions with a manual!!
Hppants and wheatonFJR loved this

Thanks Eric

IBA #77838

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

That is awesome Eric!
ericboutin loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
silverback
Veteran
FJRModel: 2005

Post by silverback »

Glad you got it figured. I am late to the party, so you'll have to come up.with another problem if you want my bad advice....

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

There's just too much what the f@$k in this thread to know where to begin...
--BikerGeek