FJR Starter Relay Autopsy

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

FJR Starter Relay Autopsy

Post by raYzerman »

Project bike's starter relay died so an autopsy was in order. It wasn't clicking so pretty much know the electromagnetic coil was dead from some cause. All starter relays kinda work the same way, but it is interesting to know how stuff works specifically to the FJR, and learn something so we can prevent surprise failures, so this is my layman's description. Here is a pic of the Gen2 location, note Gen3 is much further forward and has different wiring, and while function of the starter relay is fairly generic, this is Gen2 version. Comments from electrical experts welcome.

Red/white wire brings ignition power when the key is turned on and is fused by the Ignition fuse, and inside the start relay, is connected to one side of the relay coil wire. Blue/white wire I am going to call a communication wire although that may not be technically correct. It is connected to the other side of the relay coil wire, then on to numerous things, ABS ECU, Fuel Pump Relay, ECU, Kill switch, and the Start Switch.

The larger gauge Red/blue goes to the ABS pump on Gen2. The positive battery post has a bus strap with a spade connector to the feed side of the 30 amp fuse, and on the inboard side, the fuse is bussed to two spades... thus these two are powered at all times as long as the fuse is OK. There is a holder for a spare fuse on the left (rearward) side of the start relay. Note, there is also a relay at the ABS pump to activate it, i.e., the ABS pump is not powered until activated by that relay (entirely separate subject). The start relay is just a battery feed access/fuse point for the ABS pump, but generically could be used to power other things on other bikes, as this relay design has widespread applications.

Assuming all systems are go with side stand, neutral, kill switch, the Red/white has power with ignition on, and sends power through the start relay coil, out the other side to the Blue/white, fuel pump runs via its relay, then shuts down when fuel rail pressure reached. When you hit the start button, you are essentially providing a ground via the Start Switch so the coil will be energized (goes click) to make the "big switch" work to send big power to the starter (pics to follow).

Partially cutaway view from the inboard side, the fine gold wires are the coil of course.

Coil removed exposing the large copper contacts, bridged by a copper button being pushed against them by a black spring. Note the steel stud inside the coil, it also has a stronger spring which keeps that button pushed down until the coil is energized, then the steel stud is pulled up electromagnetically, black spring pushes up on the copper button bridging the copper contacts. One copper contact is positive battery feed from the cable, the other is the starter cable. Starter is grounded to the engine to complete the ground side of the starter motor. In subsequent pics, I have drilled out the rivetted ends of the battery cable studs and flipped the (now bent) copper contacts over.

This shows the bus strap on the right, the positive battery feed, which is a terminal to the fuse, power flows through the fuse, then connected to a teminal bus to the two far contacts (ABS feed).

So that's basically the relay construction. Now, why did it fail? As I carefully removed the coil, the first inch or two of the coil wire was brittle and had cracked/broken, thus no continuity in the coil. Years of use perhaps hardened the wire there, but that is pure speculation on my part. It does have 141k kms. (~87k miles) and if you think about how many times the Start button was pushed..... pick a number... 5 or 6 times a day during a 300 mile riding day (bio breaks, lunch, fuel stop) would be 300 times? Probably a bit low......

However, in looking at the big copper contacts and that copper button, I wouldn't say the "blackness" was terribly terrible, did not appear overly pitted like I've seen some contacts burned. Just my opinion, but perhaps as prevention, just replace it when you get up there in mileage. 80k seems like a good number to me, and cheap insurance. Remember, the OEM is expensive, generic ones can be had for $10. But, I'll leave all that up to you. I am putting a very low mileage OEM relay on this bike just because I got it cheap too and want the new owner to have OEM. As far as the generic, well I have been known to tear brand new stuff apart too. :shock: :evil:
BikerGeek and wheatonFJR loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Hack
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Re: FJR Starter Relay Autopsy

Post by Hack »

Perhaps bleeding the wires of old smoke and putting in fresh smoke is in order..?
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2024 BMW R1300 GS

Post by CollingsBob »

Hack wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:53 pm Perhaps bleeding the wires of old smoke and putting in fresh smoke is in order..?
If the machine was british, that would be the correct procedure. As it is japanese a compote of figs and water chestnuts which has been firmly pressed between the thighs of kimono clad geisha is more appropriate.
bungie4, bigjohnsd, and Hppants loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Ah yes, British old chap..... if you have one, you need this.....
http://www3.telus.net/bc_triumph_registry/smoke.htm
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

It was 1972. My Uncle Johnny came over to the house to show off his new MG Midget. Red in color. Convertible. I distinctly remember it having 3 windshield wipers, something this 7 year old had not seen before. My father, a regional service representative for Ford Motor Company, was not all that impressed. As he left the block and drove away, standing next to my dad in the driveway, I remember telling him how cool that car was.

(Pop) "That's not a car, son. That's rolling kindling waiting on a spark."
Steel_Gin, bungie4, CollingsBob and 1 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

Hppants wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:55 am It was 1972. My Uncle Johnny came over to the house to show off his new MG Midget. Red in color. Convertible. I distinctly remember it having 3 windshield wipers, something this 7 year old had not seen before. My father, a regional service representative for Ford Motor Company, was not all that impressed. As he left the block and drove away, standing next to my dad in the driveway, I remember telling him how cool that car was.

(Pop) "That's not a car, son. That's rolling kindling waiting on a spark."
Lucas - Prince of Darkness!
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!