bosch 3323 filter -- no longer suitable

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Re: bosch 3323 filter -- no longer suitable

Post by Cav47 »

Well, I missed this thread and a puddle of oil showed up under the bike. I thought I may have not tightened the washer right, or something else. Then I started investigating with a flashlight. Little weeping under the oil filter.

Took it back to my local AutoZone with the other 2 unused filters. They gave me 3 new Mobil One filters on a no cost swap out. I just showed them this thread and that wa a good enough for them. Manufacturers defect is what they called it.

Hope these work!
Hppants and CollingsBob loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

griff
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 ES

Post by griff »

Cav47 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:48 pm Well, I missed this thread and a puddle of oil showed up under the bike. I thought I may have not tightened the washer right, or something else. Then I started investigating with a flashlight. Little weeping under the oil filter.

Took it back to my local AutoZone with the other 2 unused filters. They gave me 3 new Mobil One filters on a no cost swap out. I just showed them this thread and that wa a good enough for them. Manufacturers defect is what they called it.

Hope these work!
I don't think it's a manufacturer defect, just a slightly different way to build the filter and unfortunately the FJR doesn't like the convex filter. Get the Norm Kern threaded adapter and you don't have to worry whether the filter is inny or outy.
torch, raYzerman, and John d loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

griff wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:43 pm
Cav47 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:48 pm Well, I missed this thread and a puddle of oil showed up under the bike. I thought I may have not tightened the washer right, or something else. Then I started investigating with a flashlight. Little weeping under the oil filter.

Hope these work!
I don't think it's a manufacturer defect, just a slightly different way to build the filter and unfortunately the FJR doesn't like the convex filter. Get the Norm Kern threaded adapter and you don't have to worry whether the filter is inny or outy.
This reminds me. I no longer have a Norm Kerns adapter...so I gotta get another one.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Cav47
Veteran
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

Wheatie, go get your old one off “Unlucky” inthonlnot also has some nice passenger floorboards too. I am totally kidding about that. Seriously though, I know we thought about getting your seat off of there and even jimmied the glove box open to see if there was another key in there. Bit unfortunately, it was with the top box that JWilly already had. We were thinking about it anyway.

Griff, you are correct, that would be a good mod. I will get ahold of him on FB. I don’t think he is a member here if I recall.

I agree, it’s not a manufactured defect. They purposely changed the design. Call me simple, but if you change the design in a meanful way, that should change the part number. I think the “manufacturer defect” was a way to just swap me out the upgrade. Anyway, I am happy they did. I didn’t have my receipt and I know the Mobil 1 is way more expensive.

It did cost me some extra oil with all that leaked out and then what came out when I changed filters. Small price to play for no oil under the bike.

Heck, I was thinking I must be a new Harley owner with seeing oil unde her
wheatonFJR and torch loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

torch
Squid
FJRModel: 2003

Post by torch »

Cav47 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:33 amI agree, it’s not a manufactured defect. They purposely changed the design. Call me simple, but if you change the design in a meanful way, that should change the part number.
The FJR was never an intended application for Bosch. That their 3323 fit and performed at least as well as the Yamaha filter was something I discovered after testing many different filters of similar size. So if their design change does not affect the usability on any of the vehicles they DO advertise it fits on their application charts then I guess it's not really a "meaningful" change.

Anyway, I shaved 1/2 a millimeter off my union bolt as recommended earlier in this thread, so even convex filters seal now.
Cav47 and wheatonFJR loved this
Pandora: 2003, serial #9, Long term test.
Cav47
Veteran
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

I plan on contacting Norm to get a union bolt. Seems like the smart thing to do.

I might just pull mine out and grind it down with my Dremel to see if that works.

Kidding, I will use a belt sander.

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Norm's mod was taking ~0.060" with a lathe.... I did some comparative measurements of the Purolators and Bosch innies vs. outies, difference was significant.... 0.5mm (0.020") seems a little light, but anything helps. Perhaps I should check more precisely on the Project Bike's old engine.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
torch
Squid
FJRModel: 2003

Post by torch »

I too prefer the lathe over the belt sander. I took a half-millimeter off because I figured I needed another 1/2 turn for a good seal and while I can easily take more off if needed, putting it back on again gets complicated.
wheatonFJR loved this
Pandora: 2003, serial #9, Long term test.